Henry Onyekuru

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Henry Onyekuru

Post by Dammy »

I watched him put in another listless performance for Galatasaray against Schalke yesterday in the UCL. Gala fans on Twitter slammed his performance as the game just seemed to pass him by.
Is this boy a product of hype or he's just off form?
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Henry Onyekuru

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote:I watched him put in another listless performance for Galatasaray against Schalke yesterday in the UCL. Gala fans on Twitter slammed his performance as the game just seemed to pass him by.
He did absolutely nothing in that game, I was shocked how long he played. There’s a reason he’s only on the stand by list...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Why is it that people always have to tear somebody down to make a point? Who on his team had a good game?
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Why is it that people always have to tear somebody down to make a point? Who on his team had a good game?
Others on his team actually put in effort and tried, the game just passed Onyekuru by, almost like he wasn't on the pitch which is kinda troubling for someone with his physical ability. Telling the truth is not tearing someone down, if you watched the match give us your opinion of what you saw....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Watched the game primarily to see Onyekuru. You can see why the boy is not a regular starter for the SE....
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

I think he's not fully fit
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:I watched him put in another listless performance for Galatasaray against Schalke yesterday in the UCL. Gala fans on Twitter slammed his performance as the game just seemed to pass him by.
Please, let us ask Bullimia12.
Mgbo? Bullimia?
Weytin happen to your superstar Onyekuru because of whom you say we should sack Rohr?
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

niyi wrote:I think he's not fully fit
Then his club shouldn’t play him in a full Champions League game,he’s obviously at the wrong club if they are unaware of his fitness!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Just got back from inaugural’s, didn’t even play their last league game.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Any some want him to start against SA
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Except he scored 2 goals in his most recent game for Gala...
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

wiseone wrote:Except he scored 2 goals in his most recent game for Gala...

And he shut down his haters :thumbs:

Onyekuru baller
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
Overhyped Choosing Material.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller

Onyekuru is a very talented player, who has slightly strayed, mostly from events outside his control (new manager at Everton; injury, etc).
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller

Onyekuru is a very talented player, who has slightly strayed, mostly from events outside his control (new manager at Everton; injury, etc).
He lacks discipline.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Because of some of the comments I had read here, I decided to watch the Gala vs. Kayserispor game via tape delay on FuboTV yesterday evening.

Yes, he did score 2 goals - the first was a tap in (after the Kayseri keeper parried a Feghouli shot right into his path) while the second was good finishing on his part off a counter attack. He messed up a potential third goal (electing to round the keeper, when he should have chipped the keeper who had started coming off his line). Those, sadly, were the highlights of the evening for Henry. For the most part, the dominant players on the Gala squad were Younes Belhanda and Sofiane Feghouli. Onyekuru, for long spells during the match, was MIA.

Truth is, as an SE player, Onyekuru's work-rate is still very much in question. I understand why Rohr left him off the initial squad and I believe Rohr was spot on in doing so. Realistically, I cannot envisage Onyekuru starting ahead of Issac, Musa, Samu, Kalu or even Osimhen, at this rate. All the other 5 seem to have a much greater work-rate on the field and seem to fit better into the style of play Rohr is espousing for the SE. There is just some tangible element that is missing from his game which, unfortunately for him, will likely continue to keep him on the sidelines.
Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote:Because of some of the comments I had read here, I decided to watch the Gala vs. Kayserispor game via tape delay on FuboTV yesterday evening.

Yes, he did score 2 goals - the first was a tap in (after the Kayseri keeper parried a Feghouli shot right into his path) while the second was good finishing on his part off a counter attack. He messed up a potential third goal (electing to round the keeper, when he should have chipped the keeper who had started coming off his line). Those, sadly, were the highlights of the evening for Henry. For the most part, the dominant players on the Gala squad were Younes Belhanda and Sofiane Feghouli. Onyekuru, for long spells during the match, was MIA.

Truth is, as an SE player, Onyekuru's work-rate is still very much in question. I understand why Rohr left him off the initial squad and I believe Rohr was spot on in doing so. Realistically, I cannot envisage Onyekuru starting ahead of Issac, Musa, Samu, Kalu or even Osimhen, at this rate. All the other 5 seem to have a much greater work-rate on the field and seem to fit better into the style of play Rohr is espousing for the SE. There is just some tangible element that is missing from his game which, unfortunately for him, will likely continue to keep him on the sidelines.
Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
They will soon call you a hater, I saw part of the game but chose to only celebrate the goals, but basically if he’s not scoring he’s not doing too much else. Hopefully he improves.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

maceo4 wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Because of some of the comments I had read here, I decided to watch the Gala vs. Kayserispor game via tape delay on FuboTV yesterday evening.

Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
They will soon call you a hater, I saw part of the game but chose to only celebrate the goals, but basically if he’s not scoring he’s not doing too much else. Hopefully he improves.
Wow, :rotf: the kid has scored 2 goals in a game and you want him to do something else? maybe he should try to stop some shots as an attacking keeper? now look in the mirror and admit that you are nothing but a HATER
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

9jaMan wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
Wow, :rotf: the kid has scored 2 goals in a game and you want him to do something else? maybe he should try to stop some shots as an attacking keeper? now look in the mirror and admit that you are nothing but a HATER
If he improves overall its only better for SE. The goals are definitely good for his confidence, but with his talent he can definitely be more involved in games scaring defenders with his pace and helping out defensively when played on the wing.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

maceo4 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Cellular wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Onyekuru baller
If he improves overall its only better for SE. The goals are definitely good for his confidence, but with his talent he can definitely be more involved in games scaring defenders with his pace and helping out defensively when played on the wing.
Why dignify his comments with a response? Some are only interested in hyping players. If he improves on other aspects of his game, does the SE not benefit from it? Constructive criticism is not understood by some folks on this forum.
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:
maceo4 wrote: If he improves overall its only better for SE. The goals are definitely good for his confidence, but with his talent he can definitely be more involved in games scaring defenders with his pace and helping out defensively when played on the wing.
Why dignify his comments with a response? Some are only interested in hyping players. If he improves on other aspects of his game, does the SE not benefit from it? Constructive criticism is not understood by some folks on this forum.
Onyibo pipul for Amelika dey call players like Onyekuru, "Cherrypicker".

I watch him and wonder why he doesn't want to be a two-way player to make himself indispensable for his team. I have seen Hazard, Ozil, Mata even Neymar, players with infinitely more talent than him become two-way players.

If you watch game tape dispassionately you will not grade him well.

And if he doesn't work on his craft in putting more effort, he will be replaced.

Funny thing is that because he doesn't work hard for the team, he tends to be extremely selfish hoping his goals or ability to score will keep him on the field. But he goes MIA in large swats of the game. You could characterize him as lazy and nonchalant.

I hope he keeps working on addressing these perceived deficiencies. :?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

From what I have seen from Henry Onyekuru, he needs to improve a lot in significant areas of his game. His pace is unbelieveable and also his dribbling skills but his end product has quiet a bit to go. I don't it helps that his supporters pile too much pressure on him. He needs the time and space away from the glare to hone his product and then bingo, he will fly! For now, too many areas to develop.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We all castigated Rohr for supposedly ignoring Onyekuru, myself included, but it is now becomming clear the reason why, and perhaps Rohr was not out of his mind.

I watched the full match of both Onyekuru, Chukwueze, and Success this past weekend, and despite Onyekuru's 2 goals, both Success and Chukwueze impressed me far more.

Onyekuru's first goal was a tap in, his second while a nice finish was just him being released on a breakaway. Chukwuezes goal was much nicer and involved more skill and composure. Onyekuru that I've seen play for SE lacks composure and messed up a few opportunities in which if he was more composed would have scored a few goals. Now we can say that he was a little nervous as he hasn't really had much time with SE, which is fair. But when I look at the 3 mentioned players above, Onyekuru is BY FAR the least dynamic. He depends very much on his SPEED, and he is not aggresive in defence, which is why I can see Rohr prefers both Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa.

Chukwueze seems to be much more effective in tight spaces than Onyekuru, as does Success. Success is far ahead of Onyekuru in terms of vision, football IQ, passing.

For me with the glutony of wide players we now seem to have, and with the likely addition of Ademola Lookman and Noah Bazee, Onyekuru will be out of the picture in terms of being a wide player for us.

I think he should reinvent himself as a striker to be honest, because he does seem to be one of the better finishers of our team, and his lack of defensive game and overall team play and contribution would probably make the striker his best suited position for us.

Only problem is that he lacks the strength and holdup play that both Ighalo and Success can bring.

But if he developed well he could turn into a poor mans Samuel Eto. Something about him reminds me of his style of play.

Either way Onyekuru despite the early hype will very likely be a periphral player for sE. I cannot see him having a major contribution to SE with all of the emerging players.

This is not necessarily a knock on Onyekuru but more a statement of where SE are today with a plethora of talents.

If Onyekuru were around a few years back in the Keshi or Oliseh era, he would have played a major role, but today he may not even be called up for most matches to even sit on the bench.