Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16602
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Quote:
Therefore, the real choice here is between Rohr's current No. 2 Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Daniel Akpeyi who has the match fitness advantage that Coach Rohr has often put forward as a principle that he uses in selecting players. Thus, the Gernot Rohr's decision has to be about sticking with his conservative decision to use the next player in rank (Ezenwa) or to give the reins to the guy who is match fit (Akpeyi). What gives? We will see in South Africa.


Quote:
If Akpeyi had held his own end of the bargain after Ikeme fell ill in 2016, Akpeyi would have been Nigeria's No. 1 choice today. But he failed to do so. Now he is battling to keep a No. 3 spot, behind both Uzoho and Ezenwa. However, as fate would have it, he is again dealt with gold coins on the table. At familiar turf in South Africa and with match fitness in his favor, he is possibly the front runner to be between the posts for this upcoming game v South Africa.


https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/11/with-uzoho-absent-who-protects-nigerias.html

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:09 pm
Posts: 20660
Location: NORTH AMERICA
So the choice now is between an acrobat Ezenwa who loves to even dive to catch a ball that's heading to the corner flag and Agbonibasket's cousin Akpereyi? :scared:
We are doomed!

_________________
I keep paraphrasing David Frum in Trumpocracy: if conservatives can't win elections democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.


Last edited by Ekorian on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47265
...I am torn between both keepers.
Akpeyi knows, understands most of the SA players since he play in their league.
Ezenwa is more agile and communicative to his back line.
Let the coach make his decision.
The onus is on the outfield players to contribute more than ever. Score goals, and defend well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47265
Ekorian wrote:
So the choice now between an acrobat Ezenwa who loves to even dive to catch a ball that's heading to the corner flag and Agbonibasket's cousin Akpereyi? :scared:
We are doomed!
...no, we are not doomed, we gotta rise up to the occasion.
Do not slump to fear, this is not Trump and his caravan fear mongering :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 28678
mcal wrote:
...I am torn between both keepers.
Akpeyi knows, understands most of the SA players since he play in their league.
Ezenwa is more agile and communicative to his back line.
Let the coach make his decision.
The onus is on the outfield players to contribute more than ever. Score goals, and defend well.

Is this supposed to be an advantage? :shock: How about they know Akpeyi very well and his weaknesses and will shoot at him from every angle until he chops kpali? :sneaky:

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 1583
Watching Akpeyi during that one game against SAfrica in Uyo was gut-wrenching...

Akpeyi seemed an incarnation of Agbim...a bag of nerves...ill-suited to a high-pressure game...

If I were Rohr, I'd never select Akpeyi in SAfrica...otherwise, the SAfrican strikers might need no other encouragement...

_________________
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 20804
Location: Ukwuani
All these comments will make - brother Kongi - to start shaking earlier than usual. Personally, I am about to start shaking.

Fear don dey cach (catch) me pro-pro!

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 5042
Ezenwa stepped up to the plate in the back to back games against the IL's. Rohr needs to warn him to cut out the histrionics and ditch the baseball cap.

As for Akpeyi, that dude has no business being anywhere close to the SE. The mere sight of him will give SA a mental boost. We are better off playing with a cardboard cut out in goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13750
Location: Here
Mr Shows wrote:
Ezenwa stepped up to the plate in the back to back games against the IL's. Rohr needs to warn him to cut out the histrionics and ditch the baseball cap.

As for Akpeyi, that dude has no business being anywhere close to the SE. The mere sight of him will give SA a mental boost. We are better off playing with a cardboard cut out in goal.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This is sheer wickedness! :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:31 pm
Posts: 5268
Location: Akwa Ibom. Lagos. Dallas.
How did we get here? :oops: :scared:

_________________
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 13305
Maybe there will be a third option which will make all these a mute point.

One thing I know for sure, we will give SA more than they can handle.

_________________
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."

You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47265
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
...I am torn between both keepers.
Akpeyi knows, understands most of the SA players since he play in their league.
Ezenwa is more agile and communicative to his back line.
Let the coach make his decision.
The onus is on the outfield players to contribute more than ever. Score goals, and defend well.

Is this supposed to be an advantage? :shock: How about they know Akpeyi very well and his weaknesses and will shoot at him from every angle until he chops kpali? :sneaky:
...as we pressure the goalie we might as well pressure the strikers to score and score goals to counteract :thumbs:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:23 pm
Posts: 5313
Ezenwa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16602
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
asabatex wrote:
Ezenwa


IMO, replacing Uzoho is not a piece of cake. Sure he isn't the only one out of the South Africa game (Ndidi, Ighalo, Shehu, Mikel) but it is his position where name a replacement could be problematic.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Posts: 40878
Location: Pennsylvania
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
Therefore, the real choice here is between Rohr's current No. 2 Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Daniel Akpeyi who has the match fitness advantage that Coach Rohr has often put forward as a principle that he uses in selecting players. Thus, the Gernot Rohr's decision has to be about sticking with his conservative decision to use the next player in rank (Ezenwa) or to give the reins to the guy who is match fit (Akpeyi). What gives? We will see in South Africa.


Quote:
If Akpeyi had held his own end of the bargain after Ikeme fell ill in 2016, Akpeyi would have been Nigeria's No. 1 choice today. But he failed to do so. Now he is battling to keep a No. 3 spot, behind both Uzoho and Ezenwa. However, as fate would have it, he is again dealt with gold coins on the table. At familiar turf in South Africa and with match fitness in his favor, he is possibly the front runner to be between the posts for this upcoming game v South Africa.


https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/11/with-uzoho-absent-who-protects-nigerias.html


Prof, based on your analysis it seems like Akpeyi is our best option and that is my pick given Ezenwa’s lack of match fitness.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:38 pm
Posts: 1992
Afekolahi is no Buffon, but he may the best out of our 3 average choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 10461
Man - yeah I still remember that Ezenwa dive for a ball that was heading into Row Z of the main stand.

:rotf:

What about Osigwe and Nwokolor?

Ekorian wrote:
So the choice now is between an acrobat Ezenwa who loves to even dive to catch a ball that's heading to the corner flag and Agbonibasket's cousin Akpereyi? :scared:
We are doomed!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47265
wiseone wrote:
Man - yeah I still remember that Ezenwa dive for a ball that was heading into Row Z of the main stand.

:rotf:

What about Osigwe and Nwokolor?

Ekorian wrote:
So the choice now is between an acrobat Ezenwa who loves to even dive to catch a ball that's heading to the corner flag and Agbonibasket's cousin Akpereyi? :scared:
We are doomed!
...if in doubt you dive. Easy for armchair Monday morning coaches and critics to say.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 44941
pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:
...I am torn between both keepers.
Akpeyi knows, understands most of the SA players since he play in their league.
Ezenwa is more agile and communicative to his back line.
Let the coach make his decision.
The onus is on the outfield players to contribute more than ever. Score goals, and defend well.

Is this supposed to be an advantage? :shock: How about they know Akpeyi very well and his weaknesses and will shoot at him from every angle until he chops kpali? :sneaky:


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 20804
Location: Ukwuani
Mr Shows wrote:
Ezenwa stepped up to the plate in the back to back games against the IL's. Rohr needs to warn him to cut out the histrionics and ditch the baseball cap.

As for Akpeyi, that dude has no business being anywhere close to the SE. The mere sight of him will give SA a mental boost. We are better off playing with a cardboard cut out in goal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Damn! "Cardboard cut out?" Well, be sure Akpeyi doesn't see this

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 10461
There is no "doubt" when the ball is heading 20 yards over and 15 yards wide of the goal...

mcal wrote:
...if in doubt you dive. Easy for armchair Monday morning coaches and critics to say.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47265
wiseone wrote:
There is no "doubt" when the ball is heading 20 yards over and 15 yards wide of the goal...

mcal wrote:
...if in doubt you dive. Easy for armchair Monday morning coaches and critics to say.
...easy to say when you are watching from the stands or on your tv.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 10461
Did you even watch the incident we are talking about? The ball had ALREADY gone 20 yards over and 15 yards wide BEFORE he dived! What kind of clownish "goalkeeping" is that?!

mcal wrote:
wiseone wrote:
There is no "doubt" when the ball is heading 20 yards over and 15 yards wide of the goal...

mcal wrote:
...if in doubt you dive. Easy for armchair Monday morning coaches and critics to say.
...easy to say when you are watching from the stands or on your tv.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chief nfachairman, Cito, Google [Bot], maceo4, SylverEagles, zee and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group