Book:Ranked Nigeria’s best 55 players ever

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Book:Ranked Nigeria’s best 55 players ever

Post by Gotti »

BAP wrote:To be exact Sooting won both the FA Cup and the League Twice during the Best Era (76-82) , while rangers won the FA Cup once and the league twice during that era .
To be exact, Enugu Rangers won FOUR FA Cups and FOUR league titles during the Okala era - including TWO CONSECUTIVE CUP AND LEAGUE DOUBLES in 1974 and 1975 (while Best’s Sootin NEVER won a double)!

PS: And please desist from the heresy of writing “Rangers” in all small letters... :lol:
Last edited by Gotti on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BTW, elevating Enyeama or Rufai above Okala is akin to elevating Davido or Wizkid over Fela...
With due respect to the colonialized African mind, some of us do not need Oyinbo validation to grasp reality.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:Best 5 defensive midfielders for both club and country.
1.Muda lawal
2.Mikel Obi.
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Wilfred Ndidi..

Ndidi after 2yrs?

What about the likes of Waidi Akanni or Ademola Adeshina?
Demola was a heck of a midfielder.
I think the most complete footballer I have witnessed for Naija is Muda Lawal. Capable of playing any position at a very high level.
Muda just made anyone he played with better.

Loved Oliseh and Mikel as well... I like their cerebral way of playing the game.

Give me Muda then throw in anyone else.
Demola Was initially a striker(#9) then converted to a cenrtal defender(#4). Dont recall him ever being a midfielder
Ademola Adeshina I believe played as a midfielder for Eagles.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
They were all very good. Ilerika was played most often as a 9 but he was a heck of a show-boater like JJ and Sam Garba. Statistically, he wasn’t as effective. In the absence of JJ, Henry Nwosu is the best darned 10 and, quite possibly, the most athletic we ever had :!:

Cheers.
Nwosu, like Sofoluwe, made football look so simple when you watched them live. if only the former was a bit more professional off the pitch re: drinking and womanising and Lord knows what else. Footballing brain par excellence, I will take him over Okocha because he knew when to give the easy pass and when to do the fancy stuff.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Gotti wrote:
BAP wrote:To be exact Sooting won both the FA Cup and the League Twice during the Best Era (76-82) , while rangers won the FA Cup once and the league twice during that era .
To be exact, Enugu Rangers won FOUR FA Cups and FOUR league titles during the Okala era - including TWO CONSECUTIVE CUP AND LEAGUE DOUBLES in 1974 and 1975 (while Best’s Sootin NEVER won a double)!

PS: And please desist from the heresy of writing “Rangers” in all small letters... :lol:
And thats precisely why I limited the time frame to the Best Era when both were presumably on the field at the same time :mrgreen:
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Gotti wrote:BTW, elevating Enyeama or Rufai above Okala is akin to elevating Davido or Wizkid over Fela...
With due respect to the colonialized African mind, some of us do not need Oyinbo validation to grasp reality.
If Oyinbo validation were solely based on romanticsm and nostalgia you would certainly have a point. :mrgreen:
But in this case we are talking Oyinbo facts and figures versus romantic nostalgia by a bunch of snuff toting geriatrics who have managed to convinced themselves that rangers :taunt: could have won the world cup :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enugu II wrote:
john12 wrote:The utter disrespect that you older guys have for newer players is just beyond me because how can you mention Nigeria top 5 defender without mentioning “Yobo” a player that’s our highest capped player, a player that has always shown commitment, respect and dignity towards the national team and also a nations cup champion, WC round of 16 and played consistently for a decent EPL team? How many of the guys you listed has such CV? None. Anyway, I’m waiting for any angel* to post the forward line up and if dem born una well, no mention “AHMED MUSA” name
John12,

Give respect to the old guys at least they had the benefit of seeing most of these players in live action and thus have, perhaps, a better view. Their knowledge of Nigerian players did not begin with watching Yobo.Note that they have include Enyeama who was after Yobo. There is a reason for this.
Nwanu, Uche and Keshi are not exactly old. Chairman, you can say is relatively old.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:Ranked: Best Rt full backs.
1 Tony Igwe
2. Sylvanus Okpala.
3. Yisa Shofoluwe.
4. Yobo.
5.Patrick Ekeji
Eze, this ya list no be am.
Infact, I have a problem with the entire list.

Yisa (both left and right)
Babayaro
Okpala
Ekeji
Tony Igwe

To imagine you added Yobo when Babayaro played that position at the highest level for a long time show me say the stout must have been overflowing... :veryangry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Gotti wrote:

Gotti, tell am say betweeen January 1974 - October 1975, Enugu Rangers were unbeaten (both domestically & on the continent)...and a large chunk of the credit was Okala...

It's an absolute disgrace Nigeria sports chronicles fail to hype that stupendous record...

Egypt's Mehalla stopped the unbeaten run...why the Mehalla episode became legend...Rangers lost the 1st Leg 1-3 in Cairo (Okala conceding 3 goals in 90 mins was akin to 'heresy')

The 2nd leg 3-0 'wahala' is now folklore... :biggrin:

BTW, Rangers didn't lose a domestic game until 1976 (a 3-yr unbeaten run) against ACB in a league game...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Gotti, tell am say betweeen January 1974 - October 1975, Enugu Rangers were unbeaten (both domestically & on the continent)...and a large chunk of the credit was Okala...

It's an absolute disgrace Nigeria sports chronicles fail to hype that stupendous record...

Egypt's Mehalla stopped the unbeaten run...why the Mehalla episode became legend...Rangers lost the 1st Leg 1-3 in Cairo (Okala conceding 3 goals in 90 mins was akin to 'heresy')

The 2nd leg 3-0 'wahala' is now folklore... :biggrin:

BTW, Rangers didn't lose a domestic game until 1976 (a 3-yr unbeaten run) against ACB in a league game...
You guys don't think Enyeama's exploits in the French league setting records and performance in the friggin World Cup trumps this local champion stuff?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Okalla conceded only one goal in Cairo, then was replaced when he couldn’t see the balls.
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:
Cellular wrote:
1 Tony Igwe
2. Sylvanus Okpala.
3. Yisa Shofoluwe.
4. Yobo.
5.Patrick Ekeji

Babayaro
Okpala
Ekeji
Tony Igwe

To imagine you added Yobo when Babayaro played that position at the highest level for a long time show me say the stout must have been overflowing... :veryangry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bottomline: Eze needs to go back to the drawing board; less the Odeku :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Cellular wrote:
1 Tony Igwe
2. Sylvanus Okpala.
3. Yisa Shofoluwe.
4. Yobo.
5.Patrick Ekeji

Babayaro
Okpala
Ekeji
Tony Igwe

Babayaro wasn’t a right back. He played left back and left midfield :!:

Cheers.
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Tony tell em
www.ezesportsworld.net

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote: You guys don't think Enyeama's exploits in the French league setting records and performance in the friggin World Cup trumps this local champion stuff?
No more than Davido and Wizkid's MTV and BET exploits and setting records and performances at Wireless, Afrophunk, Coachella, Royal Albert Hall and O2 Arena could be said to "trump" Fela's "local champion stuff" (as it was considered then).

Different eras with disparate factors, access and opportunities but the underpinning valuation (best NIGERIAN - not European - players) remain unchanged. Accordingly, some of us did not have to wait until Jay Z and 'em acknowledged Fela to recognized his genius.
Last edited by Gotti on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Maceo, Chukwu played against the likes of Nkono, Roger miller, Mbida, Abege, Raktar Bellumi, Rabar Majer...just go figure
www.ezesportsworld.net

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BAP wrote:And thats precisely why I limited the time frame to the Best Era when both were presumably on the field at the same time :mrgreen:
And is it the snuff up your geriatric hoover of a honker that has blurred your memory that both were "presumably on the field at the same time" from 1976 when Best was first called up to the Eagles and served as backup to Okalla until he was able to supplant the latter in 1980 at the tail-end of his international career... :lol:

Of course, it still does not change the "facts and figures" (regardless of Naija, African or Oyinbo version, because apparently for subjugated Africans the Oyinbo version of same is inherently accorded greater validity :lol: ) that Best won only two FA Cup and league titles against Okala's FOUR! Merely reaffirming the FACT that he won MORE of the honors that you ironically listed! :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Ezesportsworld wrote:Maceo, Chukwu played against the likes of Nkono, Roger miller, Mbida, Abege, Raktar Bellumi, Rabar Majer...just go figure
Not to mention that Rangers destroyed the defending UEFA Cup champions Borussia Mönchengladbach (with 6 of West Germany's WC-winning squad) 3-1 in Lagos in a friendly in the midst of Mönchengladbach's much-vaunted 'golden era' decade of the 1970s, during which it won FIVE Bundesliga titles and finished runners-up twice.

BTW, growing up in England, I personally watched all of the famous England players at the same time that I was watching Naija players during the summer holidays, so I have a personal basis of comparison!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Gotti wrote:
BAP wrote:And thats precisely why I limited the time frame to the Best Era when both were presumably on the field at the same time :mrgreen:
And is it the snuff up your geriatric hoover of a honker that has blurred your memory that both were "presumably on the field at the same time" from 1976 when Best was first called up to the Eagles and served as backup to Okalla until he was able to supplant the latter in 1980 at the tail-end of his international career... :lol:

Of course, it still does not change the "facts and figures" (regardless of Naija, African or Oyinbo version, because apparently for subjugated Africans the Oyinbo version of same is inherently accorded greater validity :lol: ) that Best won only two FA Cup and league titles against Okala's FOUR! Merely reaffirming the FACT that he won MORE of the honors that you ironically listed! :lol:
Well for starters the argument was never that Best was better than Okala simply that Best was good enough to be counted among the top 5 given that he was able to retire er I mean supplant Okala at the ripe old age of 29 :mrgreen: ... Not bad for someone who was unable to clean Okala's jockstraps as asserted by a certain Gotti huh ? :mrgreen:

I realize that most Geriatrics are a little slow on the uptake (Not saying you :mrgreen: ) but the phrase "presumably on the field at the same time" simply refers to the era when their careers OVERLAPPED and they regularly FACED each other and the record from all indications during that era Tilted in SOOTINGS favor :mrgreen: :clap:

In any case I do remember a Young chap called Goti he would always use the phrase "comparisons are odious" whenever these "Greatest of all Time" Inter-Generational debates came up but it looks like Gotti his Geriatric Elder Brother seems to have a different take .. No ? :mrgreen:

PS: I still await any evidence of Best Flapping at the Moscow Olympics . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BAP wrote:Well for starters the argument was never that Best was better than Okala simply that Best was good enough to be counted among the top 5 given that he was able to retire er I mean supplant Okala at the ripe old age of 29 :mrgreen: ... Not bad for someone who was unable to clean Okala's jockstraps as asserted by a certain Gotti huh ? :mrgreen:

I realize that most Geriatrics are a little slow on the uptake (Not saying you :mrgreen: ) but the phrase "presumably on the field at the same time" simply refers to the era when their careers OVERLAPPED and they regularly FACED each other and the record from all indications during that era Tilted in SOOTINGS favor :mrgreen: :clap:

In any case I do remember a Young chap called Goti he would always use the phrase "comparisons are odious" whenever these "Greatest of all Time" Inter-Generational debates came up but it looks like Gotti his Geriatric Elder Brother seems to have a different take .. No ? :mrgreen:
Always good to see folks concede to superior FACTUAL evidence... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nonetheless, similarly my discourse was never that Best was not good enough to be counted among the top 5, but merely setting the record straight that Best (after backing up Okala in the Eagles team for over three years) only "supplanted" Okala in the team at the tail-end of Okala's Eagles' career. Such FACTUAL rectitude (and perspective) inexorably aids and enriches these discussions.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Gotti wrote:
BAP wrote:Well for starters the argument was never that Best was better than Okala simply that Best was good enough to be counted among the top 5 given that he was able to retire er I mean supplant Okala at the ripe old age of 29 :mrgreen: ... Not bad for someone who was unable to clean Okala's jockstraps as asserted by a certain Gotti huh ? :mrgreen:

Always good to see folks concede to superior FACTUAL evidence... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nonetheless, similarly my discourse was never that Best was not good enough to be counted among the top 5, but merely setting the record straight that Best (after backing up Okala in the Eagles team for over three years) only "supplanted" Okala in the team at the tail-end of Okala's Eagles' career. Such FACTUAL rectitude inexorably aids and enriches these discussions.
Its all good my good friend :mrgreen: :thumbs:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BAP wrote:Its all good my good friend :mrgreen: :thumbs:
:thumbs:

BTW, buddy, I hear that with wuruwuru "expansion" 3SC looks headed back to the NPFL for a season...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Gotti wrote:
BAP wrote:Its all good my good friend :mrgreen: :thumbs:
:thumbs:

BTW, buddy, I hear that with wuruwuru "expansion" 3SC looks headed back to the NPFL for a season...
We thank God :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But in all honesty I was more of a Leventis than a soooting guy at least once Popoola did that disbandment in 84 , the club was just never the same again :mrgreen: