Book:Ranked Nigeria’s best 55 players ever

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Book:Ranked Nigeria’s best 55 players ever

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ezesportsworld wrote:Best 5 defensive midfielders for both club and country.
1.Muda lawal
2.Mikel Obi.
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Wilfred Ndidi..
Muda Lawal and Sam Garba were not defensive midfielders. Muda, you could say was a forward-going central midfielder while Sam Garba was an inside forward. In the modern era, he would have been an attacking midfielder/support striker; probably the closest thing we had to a 10 in that era :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

ohenhen1 wrote:
1.Muda lawal
2.Mikel Obi.
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Wilfred Ndidi..

Oliseh and Okocha are ahead of Mikel Obi.

I still remember Oliseh sublime assist pass to Yekini at Afcon 94.
Only if you’re being sentimental and unrealistic. I don’t even know that Okocha qualifies as a defensive midfielder. Mikel played that role at a higher level and for much longer than any other Nigerian midfielder, while winning everything to boot. Mikel is head and shoulders above any other Nigerian defensive midfielder :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ezesportsworld wrote:The criteria here is playing at the highest level consecutively for two years for both club and country. Ndidi was just voted by goal at number 3 for the best 50 players from Africa this year.
Should we then assume that since Victor Ikpeba was once voted Africa's best player, he then must be listed as one of Nigeria's Top 55? I can understand Ndidi moving rapidly under contention in the coming years but right now, I really I am SMH.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
1.Muda lawal
2.Mikel Obi.
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Wilfred Ndidi..

Ndidi after 2yrs?

What about the likes of Waidi Akanni or Ademola Adeshina?
Demola was a heck of a midfielder.
I think the most complete footballer I have witnessed for Naija is Muda Lawal. Capable of playing any position at a very high level.
Muda just made anyone he played with better.

Loved Oliseh and Mikel as well... I like their cerebral way of playing the game.

Give me Muda then throw in anyone else.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
john12 wrote:The utter disrespect that you older guys have for newer players is just beyond me because how can you mention Nigeria top 5 defender without mentioning “Yobo” a player that’s our highest capped player, a player that has always shown commitment, respect and dignity towards the national team and also a nations cup champion, WC round of 16 and played consistently for a decent EPL team? How many of the guys you listed has such CV? None. Anyway, I’m waiting for any angel* to post the forward line up and if dem born una well, no mention “AHMED MUSA” name

don't mind the 'older guys' jare. Where are Moses, Onyekuru, Iwobi, Isaac Success, Kelechi, and other fantastically wonderful young players on this so-called list? Did any of dem older guys score for Man City? Chelsea? Arsenal? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Aaaah Chief you want follow John12 with him madness?
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Ranked: The 5 best attacking midfielders #10
1. JJ Okocha
2. Etim Esin
3. Haruna Ilerika.
4. Henry Nwosu.
5. Chibuzor Ehilegbu.

Honourably mentioned Albert Onyeanwuna
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:The criteria here is playing at the highest level consecutively for two years for both club and country. Ndidi was just voted by goal at number 3 for the best 50 players from Africa this year.
Should we then assume that since Victor Ikpeba was once voted Africa's best player, he then must be listed as one of Nigeria's Top 55? I can understand Ndidi moving rapidly under contention in the coming years but right now, I really I am SMH.
Ikpeba should be... :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
1.Muda lawal
2.Mikel Obi.
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Wilfred Ndidi..

Ndidi after 2yrs?

What about the likes of Waidi Akanni or Ademola Adeshina?
Demola was a heck of a midfielder.
I think the most complete footballer I have witnessed for Naija is Muda Lawal. Capable of playing any position at a very high level.

Loved Oliseh and Mikel as well... I like their cerebral way of playing the game.

I agree with your assertion on Ademola Adesina, unbelievable anywhere he played on the pitch. Waidi Akanni also could play multiple positions but not really in this discussion.
No mention of Aloysius Atuegbu, he was vastly underrated.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ezesportsworld wrote:Ranked: The 5 best attacking midfielders #10
1. JJ Okocha
2. Etim Esin
3. Haruna Ilerika.
4. Henry Nwosu.
5. Chibuzor Ehilegbu.

Honourably mentioned Albert Onyeanwuna
I beg to differ...

1. JJ Okocha
2. Henry Nwosu.
3. Samson Siasia.
4. Sam Garba Okoye
5. Mathias Obianika.

Must honorably mention:

6. Haruna Ilerika.
7. Christian Madu.
8. Dan Amokachi.

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Una go say Damunk don come again, but those that mention players like Sam Garba, Thunder Balogun, Haruna Ilerika....on what objective basis are they being measured?

1. There are very few (if any at all) videos of these players in action to enable an objective assessment.
2. Even if seen playing live, most of us here were far too young to be objective or knowledgeable enough to assess them by today's standards. (For example, my lesson teacher made me believe that a certain 'Ogbueze' of the then ECS was probably the best player in Africa. I believed it, but I am not even sure he even made the National Team)
3. The 'Nostalgia Factor' is always at play.
4. In those days these guys were playing in limited circles with limited exposure and would therefore look world class to us anyway. The 'Big Fish' syndrome.
But the only true and objective measure of anyone's ability would be exposing them to opposition outside of their local villages/towns/states/regions/countries/continents.

We all know how players can look good on Youtube playing in their local leagues until they get pitched against wider opposition in a bigger pond.

Just sayin'.... :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Damunk wrote:Una go say Damunk don come again, but those that mention players like Sam Garba, Thunder Balogun, Haruna Ilerika....on what objective basis are they being measured?

1. There are very few (if any at all) videos of these players in action to enable an objective assessment.
2. Even if seen playing live, most of us here were far too young to be objective or knowledgeable enough to assess them by today's standards. (For example, my lesson teacher made me believe that a certain 'Ogbueze' of the then ECS was probably the best player in Africa. I believed it, but I am not even sure he even made the National Team)
4. In those days these guys were playing in limited circles with limited exposure and would therefore look world class to us anyway. The 'Big Fish' syndrome.
But the only true and objective measure of anyone's ability would be exposing them to opposition outside of their local villages/towns/states/regions/countries/continents.

We all know how players can look good on Youtube playing in their local leagues until they get pitched against wider opposition in a bigger pond.

Oga Damunk, na wa for you o...so all the CE thread on Ogbueze never "informate" you..?
Godwin Ogbueze was arguably the most gifted young forward of his era in Nigeria...but unfortunately, was not around long enough to really establish himself at senior level...(migrated to US for further studies)

Forget the 'Nostalgia Factor'...the Ogbueze I witnessed as a kid was no myth...

As to the 'Big Fish' syndrome, the reverse is equally the case: demeaning the talents of such players because of the "calibre of opposition"
I always say the yardstick to measure such players is to gauge the performance of their contemporaries who had the opportunity to perform against those 'benchmark opposition'...

I can 'credibly' rate Chukwu, Odegbanmi, Lawal, Okala, etc, because I witnessed them perform against certain 'benchmarks' like Roger Miller, Nkono, Bensoula, Ekrahmy, Tahrek Dhiab (all of whom left footprints at the WCup...)

If I can rate Chukwu, therefore I can rate Ogbueze...no be so..? Oya, clap for this logic... :biggrin:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:Una go say Damunk don come again, but those that mention players like Sam Garba, Thunder Balogun, Haruna Ilerika....on what objective basis are they being measured?

Yes o, u don come again :lol:
That you never saw these players perform, I’m sorry to say, is your loss. This has nothing to do with nostalgia. They were very real and possessed the kind of skills that would flatter the present day SuperEagles. Sam Garba was Okocha before Okocha. Haruna was usually played at CF but possessed incredible #10 skills and I’m sure you’ve heard of Christian Madu. Don’t assume that because they never had the opportunity to play for the big, overseas clubs, they were not as skilled as the big stars of that era that you’re used to hearing about. You know, they are the many reasons stars like Pele predicted that Nigeria would win the World Cup sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, he failed to reckon with the “Nigerian” factor... and by the way, Ogbueze was the real deal. Sadly enough, injury and academics put paid to his Eagles aspirations :!:

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

That you never saw these players perform, I’m sorry to say, is your loss. This has nothing to do with nostalgia. They were very real and possessed the kind of skills that would flatter the present day SuperEagles. Sam Garba was Okocha before Okocha. Haruna was usually played at CF but possessed incredible #10 skills and I’m sure you’ve heard of Christian Madu. Don’t assume that because they never had the opportunity to play for the big, overseas clubs, they were not as skilled as the big stars of that era that you’re used to hearing about. You know, they are the many reasons stars like Pele predicted that Nigeria would win the World Cup sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, he failed to reckon with the “Nigerian” factor... and by the way, Ogbueze was the real deal. Sadly enough, injury and academics put paid to his Eagles aspirations :!:

Cheers.
Chief, I did indeed see Ilerika play many times, but for some reason never Sam Garba, though I def heard him mentioned time and time again. I believe he played for Mighty Jets.
As for Madu :thumb: ...he was one of my favourite players and I could never quite understand why he didn't win more national caps. Skill and intelligence impersonated.
The legend of Ogbueze has traveled far and wide, but if he never got beyond schoolboy level, can we really say how great he was....or should it be more about how great he could have become?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

Cheers.
Chief, I did indeed see Ilerika play many times, but for some reason never Sam Garba, though I def heard him mentioned time and time again. I believe he played for Mighty Jets.
As for Madu :thumb: ...he was one of my favourite players and I could never quite understand why he didn't win more national caps. Skill and intelligence impersonated.
The legend of Ogbueze has traveled far and wide, but if he never got beyond schoolboy level, can we really say how great he was....or should it be more about how great he could have become?
Ogbueze did make the transition from secondary school to the Rangers International where he was a favorite. He is best remembered for taking Dundee United apart assisted by his favorite sidekick Kenneth Ilodigwe, another great forward who didn’t fulfill his maximum potential.

Talking about Ilodigwe, I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a picture of him. He is a bonafide look alike of the Brazilian, Pele so, it is ironic that while Ilodigwe was knicknamed “Kendo”, it was Ogbueze who was knicknamed Pele. That in itself is a testament to the extraordinary and even mind boggling skills he possessed :!:

Cheers.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Eze's list seems to be more of Coal City top 55.
Any top 55 that will excludes any of these folks is a wash: Owoblow, Khadri Ikhana, Leotis Boateng, Ayo Ogunlana, Shefiu Mohammed, Baba #$% Mohammed, Daniel Amokachi, Tarila okorowanta, Edebor, Nwosu, Sofoluwe, Hadji Muda Ben Ugwu, Yekini.

What we should do is have people list one reason why the player mentioned made the list:
Won ANC, Made WC, won club championship or challenge cup. Or Redefined the position he played forever:

Sunday Oliseh for instance changed the holding midfielder role for our national team
. Yekini won ABP and scored Nigeria first WC goal.
Hadji Muda redefined out #10
. Leotis Boateng scored the best goal for Nigeria
. Surugede won BCC its continental cup thru his goal and leadership.
When we lost Da Bull, Nigeria national team could not recover for more than a decade
. Keshi redefined libero role and he's the reason why Chidi Nwanu will not make the list
Shefiu consistency defines his generation
Ugbade played all age grade tournament and qualified Nigeria at the highest level= playing the same or similar role: u17, U21, u23, and senior national team. He won the first 3 and made 2nd round of the last!
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:You can get the book....no dvd
Is there a DVD in the book?

what a way to welcome Eze back :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:Goalkeepers
1.Emma Okala
2.Vin Enyeama
3.Peter Fregene
4. Inua lawal Rigogo.

5. Peter Rufia.

Central defenders.
1 Christian Chukwu
2.Stephen Keshi
3. Okechukwu Uche.
4. Godwin Achebe.
5. Chidi Nwanu

More to come, book coming out soon.
I have my doubts about those highlighted in red. How is it that Fregene and Rigogo are ranked ahead of Rufai? Or how does Nwanu rank among top 5 central defenders? In essence, he is ahead of Taribo West? Ahead of Godwin Odiye?
List was probably done while downing copious amount of Udeku.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Honestly this list get as e be and I think a combination of old age and an apparent lack of familiarity with players playing west of the Niger is causing ezeaportsworld to come up
With a funny funnny list

For best Ogedebge 1976 African club champion with IICC and later anc 80 champion who benched the likes of Okala and Erico along the way not to make the top five goalkeepers squad while goalkeepers Like fregene and Rigogo make the list leaves one scratching ones head. But then again subjective topics like this are often rooted in nostalgia so I have to respect the mans right to his list

Also for the left back position , not a single person on that left back list imho could match Felix Owolabi ( Owo Blow) the one man riot squad himself . Also an anc winner and in reality led shooting stars to the 84 African club championship final against zamalek which IICC would have likely won had he
Not been injured for the final

And in all honesty I just don’t see anybody on that list whoWas better than Taiye Taiwo in his hey day . Meanwhile we are seeing the likes of Bright (10-10) Omokaro on the list ? Don’t get me wrong I was. An Omokaro fan but the likes of Omokaro and Egboigbe were simply red cards waiting to happen at least as far as the mordern game goes

Anyway sha it’s subjective topic and ezesportsworld has the right to his list as he sees fit but since he put it out for public commentary all
I can say is My two cents
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Ranked:The best 5 attacking wingers #7
1.Segun Odegbami.
2. Findi George.
3. Baba #$% Mohamed.
4. Victor Moses.
5.John Chiedozie.

Honourably mentioned Emeka Onyedika, Tarila Okoronwata, Clement Tamile
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BAP wrote:Honestly this list get as e be and I think a combination of old age and an apparent lack of familiarity with players playing west of the Niger is causing ezeaportsworld to come up
With a funny funnny list

For best Ogedebge 1976 African club champion with IICC and later anc 80 champion who benched the likes of Okala and Erico along the way not to make the top five goalkeepers squad while goalkeepers Like fregene and Rigogo make the list leaves one scratching ones head. But then again subjective topics like this are often rooted in nostalgia so I have to respect the mans right to his list

Also for the left back position , not a single person on that left back list imho could match Felix Owolabi ( Owo Blow) the one man riot squad himself . Also an anc winner and in reality led shooting stars to the 84 African club championship final against zamalek which IICC would have likely won had he
Not been injured for the final

And in all honesty I just don’t see anybody on that list whoWas better than Taiye Taiwo in his hey day . Meanwhile we are seeing the likes of Bright (10-10) Omokaro on the list ? Don’t get me wrong I was. An Omokaro fan but the likes of Omokaro and Egboigbe were simply red cards waiting to happen at least as far as the mordern game goes

Anyway sha it’s subjective topic and ezesportsworld has the right to his list as he sees fit but since he put it out for public commentary all
I can say is My two cents
Best "benched" Okala at the tail END of Okala's career...
At each prime's Best is best suited to logging around Okala's jockstrap. :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Cellular wrote: Demola was a heck of a midfielder.

You can say that AGAIN! :clap:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

damunk, LET ME JUST SAY...

...I saw left footer Haruna Ilerika, LIVE. Let me also say, it's a coin flip between him and JayJay. You are led to feel sorry that he was born so early. If he lived in this era, he'd be in the vanguard of Nigerians heading overseas. People ask, if he was so good, how come he didn't play in Europe. Well, let those people know that the English league 1 - 4 once had only Britons with the exceptions of Colin Viljoen, a white S. African who played for Ipswich. There were only two blacks: W. Ham's Ade Coker and Clyde Best, the Bermudan.

High scorers Yakubu Mambo and Sunny Oyarekhua owed their success to him as he fed them passes after dismantling defenses. Don't take my word for it - talk to others who actually saw him
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Ezesportsworld wrote:Ranked:The best 5 attacking wingers #7
1.Segun Odegbami.
2. Findi George.
3. Baba #$% Mohamed.
4. Victor Moses.
5.John Chiedozie.