Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiating

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiating

Post by truetalk »

First and foremost, we got the job done. Congratulations to the team, the crew, the NFF and all SE fans. We have qualified, and almost certainly won the group. It was important to win the group in this watered down qualification of the Ahmad CAF era (24 teams is a bad idea, & CHAN nullifies the greater participation argument).

Bafana is a really poor team, and even with the heat and the altitude, this is the type of team the SE should be beating by 3 goals home or away. Take away the bad officiating and the play of the likes of Nacho and Omeruo, and that would have been achieved in this game. CAF should start taking a closer look at South Africa’s home games. First it was against Senegal, and now this. They are not better than Libya, & while it will be good to have the other economic powerhouse in the CAN, Libya deserves it more & I hope they qualify.
Interestingly, I had spoken against Joseph Lamptey (the Ghananian ref in Bafana’s game vs. Senegal) after he robbed us against Small Congo at home. We should keep a close watch on SAFA and this Gambian officiating crew. Something seems off, but back to the current Eagles team.

We have a good squad. Iheanacho should be on the deep end of the bench, along with Omeruo (and with Omeruo, this is generous). Lots of attacking options to be tried out, who might be better for this set of Eagles, who are complete in almost every other aspect. Success, Osimhen, Dessers, Awoniyi, Onuachu, Nwaekeme are all options that could be tried out over a run of friendlies, as Nacho seems to be missing something (I have my thoughts on this).

I have no doubt that we have the talent to win the CAN and be good with the emerging core for the next decade.
With the conditions stated above (Heat, Officiating, Nacho etc), you might think I’ll let Rohr off the hook, but he is a poor coach that negates the potential and synergy of the team, and wasted a World Cup. I would not call for his immediate firing though (I was for that after the 1st game in Russia). I have written on how we should have a system that would produce a pool of Nigerians that would be in the National coaching system that would be eligible to coach the SE and be supported by the NFF (to get the UEFA professional certification, Winter attachment with clubs, Stipends etc), even while with private clubs. Criteria will be meeting 2-3 or some of these conditions. Multiple titles in Nigeria, A deep run with a Nigerian team on the continent, Ex-Nigerian International with UEFA certification, A decent coaching spell with a European club, Foreign National team, or decent foreign African side, etc) Those that could currently qualify would include Aigbogun, Imama, Oliseh, Amuneke, Ogunbote, Finidi, Maikaba, Boboye and a few others).

So we are stuck with Rohr for the short term. We may yet win the CAN, but it will be in spite of him. He is a poor, extremely conservative coach (which negates the Nigerian flair), with poor game management, and he wasted a hard earned World Cup ticket. He might get a pass due to the conditions in SA, but the sooner we can get rid of him, the better.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiati

Post by vancity eagle »

Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Rohr is a decent coach, he has brought structure, discipline, and organization (in the defensive aspect) of the SE football. His conservative and painstakingly slow approach to much needed game changing decisions aside, I think we should keep him to continue drilling the team into a more solid unit... at least until the next world cup for long term purposes. If we can hire a more attacking minded coach (preferably a local coach) to help Rohr in game management situations, we should he fine.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
KPOM... Not a big fan of the man, but we can't deny the fact that inspite of his coaching shortcomings, he has brought a level of organization and discipline to the SE team that has never been seen under any other coach - FACTS. Rohr should be able to win the AFCON and qualify us for the next world cup, then we can talk of about asking him to use the exit door...
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

KPOM... Not a big fan of the man, but we can't deny the fact that inspite of his coaching shortcomings, he has brought a level of organization and discipline to the SE team that has never been seen under any other coach - FACTS. Rohr should be able to win the AFCON and qualify us for the next world cup, then we can talk of about asking him to use the exit door...
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I squarely addressed the issue of coaching in my post, and I agree with you that Rohr should not be fired now. I also mentioned what we need to do medium to long term.

Let's not forget just how poor a coach Rohr is though. This might seem harsh, but he stumbled on what could work for the Eagles in 3 good halves of football (2nd half vs England, 2nd half vs Iceland, 2nd half vs Argentina 2017 friendly) but yet lined up the most lifeless, listless & ineffective set of Eagles most of us will ever see. You just knew they would not score, and it started and ended with the coach. From what he said, the way he lined the team up, his delay in making substitutions & general game management!

No Nigerian team had ever been that lifeless with no bite. Not Onigbinde's with 6 starters missing, not Keshi's with all the money wahala and infighting, not Sia1 with no defence. Rohr's strategy just sucked life out of the team.

We are stuck with him for now though. It is what we do going forward that matters.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rohr is not the right coach for Nigeria.

But it is too late now to replace him. But we must replace him after the Afcon next year.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

truetalk wrote:

I squarely addressed the issue of coaching in my post, and I agree with you that Rohr should not be fired now. I also mentioned what we need to do medium to long term.

Let's not forget just how poor a coach Rohr is though. This might seem harsh, but he stumbled on what could work for the Eagles in 3 good halves of football (2nd half vs England, 2nd half vs Iceland, 2nd half vs Argentina 2017 friendly) but yet lined up the most lifeless, listless & ineffective set of Eagles most of us will ever see. You just knew they would not score, and it started and ended with the coach. From what he said, the way he lined the team up, his delay in making substitutions & general game management!

No Nigerian team had ever been that lifeless with no bite. Not Onigbinde's with 6 starters missing, not Keshi's with all the money wahala and infighting, not Sia1 with no defence. Rohr's strategy just sucked life out of the team.

We are stuck with him for now though. It is what we do going forward that matters.
Of course, you are simply expressing your opinion and I respect that.
But you also have to recognise that there are just as many Nigerians that agree with you as there are equally knowledgeable Nigerians that would strongly disagree with many if not most of your key assertions.

On balance I believe Rohr has been very good for Nigeria. Yes, I would want the next step to be a Nigerian coach to take over and take us to higher levels of performance. But in the absence of a Nigerian coach that can do that, I'd expect a truly world-class coach to take over.
Question is, who?
Who can we attract from those ranks?

I know you are not asking for Rohr to go right now, but many are. Left to many, he shouldn't have even come back after the WC in Russia. If they'd had their way, exactly where would we have been right now with one game left in the AFCON qualifiers?
Meanwhile, if you ask them to name a realistic replacement, you'll draw a clear blank.
Or a vague "there are many better coaches out there".

Who nah? Dem no talk.

So let's be a little realistic in our assessment of what we have achieved, and why.
Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

But you also have to recognise that there are just as many Nigerians that agree with you as there are equally knowledgeable Nigerians that would strongly disagree with many if not most of your key assertions.

On balance I believe Rohr has been very good for Nigeria. Yes, I would want the next step to be a Nigerian coach to take over and take us to higher levels of performance. But in the absence of a Nigerian coach that can do that, I'd expect a truly world-class coach to take over.
Question is, who?

I know you are not asking for Rohr to go right now, but many are. Left to many, he shouldn't have even come back after the WC in Russia. If they'd had their way, exactly where would we have been right now with one game left in the AFCON qualifiers?
Meanwhile, if you ask them to name a realistic replacement, you'll draw a clear blank.

Who nah? Dem no talk.

So let's be a little realistic in our assessment of what we have achieved, and why.
Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.
:clap: :clap: :clap: KPOM... if the "fire Rohr" brigades know any decent coach out there good enough to take over from him...please name(and while at it, proffer GOOD reasons why such coach or coaches at least based on coaching antecedents deserve it).
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.
The dude is a mediocre coach. He is not bad as a manager but his a poor coach.

The team play hasn't improved. He fraudulently said he took the team to the World Cup to gain experience. But he was the one who went to the World Cup to gain the experience, not the players. Some of his selection for the World Cup and his inability to adjust in-game is still a problem with the team.

In case you guys are playing possum, he failed at the WC.
He has qualified for the AFCON. He better win it or worse, finish top 4.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

truetalk wrote:First and foremost, we got the job done. Congratulations to the team, the crew, the NFF and all SE fans. We have qualified, and almost certainly won the group. It was important to win the group in this watered down qualification of the Ahmad CAF era (24 teams is a bad idea, & CHAN nullifies the greater participation argument).

Bafana is a really poor team, and even with the heat and the altitude, this is the type of team the SE should be beating by 3 goals home or away. Take away the bad officiating and the play of the likes of Nacho and Omeruo, and that would have been achieved in this game. CAF should start taking a closer look at South Africa’s home games. First it was against Senegal, and now this. They are not better than Libya, & while it will be good to have the other economic powerhouse in the CAN, Libya deserves it more & I hope they qualify.
Interestingly, I had spoken against Joseph Lamptey (the Ghananian ref in Bafana’s game vs. Senegal) after he robbed us against Small Congo at home. We should keep a close watch on SAFA and this Gambian officiating crew. Something seems off, but back to the current Eagles team.

We have a good squad. Iheanacho should be on the deep end of the bench, along with Omeruo (and with Omeruo, this is generous). Lots of attacking options to be tried out, who might be better for this set of Eagles, who are complete in almost every other aspect. Success, Osimhen, Dessers, Awoniyi, Onuachu, Nwaekeme are all options that could be tried out over a run of friendlies, as Nacho seems to be missing something (I have my thoughts on this).

I have no doubt that we have the talent to win the CAN and be good with the emerging core for the next decade.
With the conditions stated above (Heat, Officiating, Nacho etc), you might think I’ll let Rohr off the hook, but he is a poor coach that negates the potential and synergy of the team, and wasted a World Cup. I would not call for his immediate firing though (I was for that after the 1st game in Russia). I have written on how we should have a system that would produce a pool of Nigerians that would be in the National coaching system that would be eligible to coach the SE and be supported by the NFF (to get the UEFA professional certification, Winter attachment with clubs, Stipends etc), even while with private clubs. Criteria will be meeting 2-3 or some of these conditions. Multiple titles in Nigeria, A deep run with a Nigerian team on the continent, Ex-Nigerian International with UEFA certification, A decent coaching spell with a European club, Foreign National team, or decent foreign African side, etc) Those that could currently qualify would include Aigbogun, Imama, Oliseh, Amuneke, Ogunbote, Finidi, Maikaba, Boboye and a few others).

So we are stuck with Rohr for the short term. We may yet win the CAN, but it will be in spite of him. He is a poor, extremely conservative coach (which negates the Nigerian flair), with poor game management, and he wasted a hard earned World Cup ticket. He might get a pass due to the conditions in SA, but the sooner we can get rid of him, the better.

You said it right. I am watching. These people will know that Rohr isn't a good coach. What Rohr is only good at is playing politics. He knows the right thing to say not to upset the NFF, the players and the media. I give him an A+ for that. No one can really dislike him as a person. When he said Nigeria was going to the WC to learn, I was shocked! Nigeria learn? Nigeria first qualified for the WC in 1994. I then realized that he was playing politics. He was buying time with NFF. He plans on staying with Nigeria till 2022. That should be enough time to pocket enough money for his retirement :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The fools in Nigeria and outside don't see that :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The Pot belled Queens English wannable NFF chairman can't see that either :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by highbury on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

The team play hasn't improved. He fraudulently said he took the team to the World Cup to gain experience. But he was the one who went to the World Cup to gain the experience, not the players. Some of his selection for the World Cup and his inability to adjust in-game is still a problem with the team.

Dont get your hopes up. He has already inoculated himself by saying at the press conference post the game against South Africa that our chances are little better than the World Cup :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: That means round of 16 or Q finals at best :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Start from 10:23-11:28.. You get you answer. I am not making this up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by highbury on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote:

Wait! Are you serious? You want the coach to win the AFCON, then qualify us for the next World cup (WC) and fire him? When we fired our coaches in the past after we qualified for the WC, how did it turn out?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

Dont get your hopes up. He has already inoculated himself by saying at the press conference post the game against South Africa that our chances are little better than the World Cup :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: That means round of 16 or Q finals at best :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Start from 10:23-11:28.. You get you answer. I am not making this up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really" Coach Rohr said our chances at the AFCON are little better than it was during the the World Cup? That's not good in general - guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although many coaches will NOT say they will win the AFCON title, but they will not play "possum" about wining it either.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

No need for too much talk.
Just give us a realistic shortlist of three coaches from anywhere in the world to take over.
Like someone said, you people cannot rest if you don't see drama - just like Nollywood addicts.
Meanwhile, you will be proclaiming upandan that you don't like drama. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oya, let's get rid of him nah, but tell us who replaces him.
We dey wait....
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Odas wrote:
highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

Really" Coach Rohr said our chances at the AFCON are little better than it was during the the World Cup? That's not good in general - guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although many coaches will NOT say they will win the AFCON title, but they will not play "possum" about wining it either.
Yep he did!! He is outsmarting Nigerians
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Damunk wrote:
highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

Just give us a realistic shortlist of three coaches from anywhere in the world to take over.
Like someone said, you people cannot rest if you don't see drama - just like Nollywood addicts.
Meanwhile, you will be proclaiming upandan that you don't like drama. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We dey wait....
Amuneke
Finidi
Siasia
Most coaches in the Nigerian league. Yes, Nigerian league. I believe in Nigerian coaches!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:No need for too much talk.

We dey wait....
Dude is just not it.
His main qualification is that he doesn't mind getting owed and he keeps his discountenance of the NFF in-house.

As for who will replace him? There's no vacancy so it's a moot point.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:No need for too much talk.

We dey wait....
Dude is just not it.
His main qualification is that he doesn't mind getting owed and he keeps his discountenance of the NFF in-house.

As for who will replace him? There's no vacancy so it's a moot point.
Sitting on the fence.
Nor be una dey shout say make dem sack am?
So you wan sack first, ax kweshon after? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:
Damunk wrote:
highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

We dey wait....
Amuneke
Finidi
Siasia
Most coaches in the Nigerian league. Yes, Nigerian league. I believe in Nigerian coaches!!!
I actually thought you were being serious. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Question is, who?

Who nah? Dem no talk.

Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.

We dey wait....
dude you are allover the place, we've taken LCs to AFcon and finsihed top , 2nd and even bronze like 3 times.. you WOWO , said our chances are just a little above that of the WC, and you are here talking about naming 3 coaches.. abeg ROhr is not good enough for our Team, he has taken the team thus far

He lost 4 points vs SA and used the likes of Libya and SEychelles to qualify.. smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Small time they would want to use Siasia as a scape goat to discredit local coaches. Everyone forgets the circs under which he too the job. He was in a lose-lose situation.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

DIMKA76 wrote:Small time they would want to use Siasia as a scape goat to discredit local coaches. Everyone forgets the circs under which he too the job. He was in a lose-lose situation.
The same SSS that used Aminu Umar ahead of Iwobi and Iheanacho. The one that doesn't believe in defence. Sorry but in case you forgot the last 3 local coaches were filled with corruption and bungled up our ANC hopes. With them we have missed 3 of the last 4 nations cups. That is woeful no matter how you try and spin it. PISS POOR.

And please don't use the excuse of "circumstances they were under"

Cameroon was infighting with their confederation when they won the past ANC.

If all Rohr does is pick close to our best squad every time, I will gladly take that over these corrupt rubbish coaches.

Whether Keshi who took junk like Uchebo, Ejike, Rueben, Gambo, Babatunde to serious tournaments.

Whether Oliseh who thought he could replace Mikel with Onobi who is now in Finland.

Sorry I don't not trust these corrupt coaches one bit.

I will take a non substitution making Rohr any day of the week.