Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiating

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiati

Post by john12 »

VE don’t disparage Keshi achievement to praise ROhR because qualifying Togo for that World Cup with those backwater players will hardly be topped
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Gotti wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Gotti in all Rohr isn't doing too badly, I'm not his biggest fan here but for the very first time I see a Eagles team that seems to have some drama free stability. He has introduced lots of very young and promising players, the team chemistry seems to be very much genuine this time and the "big man" syndrome that has plagued the Eagles for long now seems to have gone... in the end Rohr isn't particularly my ideal choice for the Eagles, but hey you can't argue against qualification to the AFCON after missing out twice. And it will certainly be a bonus if he ends up winning the AFCON, we have him now as our coach so we might as well support him and the team, instead of basking on toxic back and forth about this local coach or that, Keshi and Amodu(RIP), were both legends whose legacies would never be forgotten... but we've got to move on now, we still have the future to look forward to.
Totally AGREE with the highlighted...
But also let's acknowledge that team performance has hardly improved.
When did the team ever play some semblance of organized football? Lol... you sound like you don't know this has pretty much a problem with the team for as long as I can remember. Team performance for all its worth, was always something we complained about under previous coaches, and it didn't help that we never gave the coaches enough time to build and improve(you know the typical fire brigade approach of impatient Nigerian fans with their overbloated sense of entitlements). For once at least it seems we are slowly getting it right under Rohr by giving him the time to keep fine tuning his team, so maybe we need to be patient with the man while he does his work. I'm personally tired of the lack of continuity plaguing the SE, we fire one coach when he doesn't mean our "standards" and hire the next only to run into another cul de sac. When the structure isn't there (poorly run local league and lack of modern investments in the science of grassroot football), it becomes a trajectory that affects pretty much every tier of our football performance wise at least.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:When I start cursing goats out now they would call me names. Truetalk, you’re a foolish unappreciative imbecile. I don’t know rohr but based on his Nigeria performance in the last 3 years, he has been GOOD. To call him a poor coach is just absurd and outright ignorant. Oliseh was giving a job and after 5 months, he beef with multiple players. I don’t even have time to explain myself because I have done it numerous times
:clap: :clap: :clap:

On the evidence of this, you are now writing at close to elementary grade level, which is a massive improvement from a couple of months ago.

The thinking process is still a few grades behind, but don't give up. Read up on 'The Little Engine That Could'.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, and is free to present that opinion in any meeting, forum or platform. In addition to this forum, I've been able to talk SE matters over drinks, dinner and breakfast with two current coaches of the team, another key official, and an NFF topshot. It might shock your grammar straight if I drop the names, but I'll let you stick with the steady progress you've been showing.

I'm certainly contributing my quota to the team, and to the country at large, & I'm grateful the opportunity. You just keep working with that Elementary School Grammar book. It is slowly paying off.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Fork that $#%! This is not English 101 and any body can express himself unapologetically, eloquent, Articulate or even inarticulate. As long as your message can be understood clearly and vividly that’s fine. I would definitely stick to my view that the tread opener is an imbecile and unappreciative/entitled person for opening this stupid thread
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Tobi17 wrote:Rohr is a decent coach, he has brought structure, discipline, and organization (in the defensive aspect) of the SE football. His conservative and painstakingly slow approach to much needed game changing decisions aside, I think we should keep him to continue drilling the team into a more solid unit... at least until the next world cup for long term purposes. If we can hire a more attacking minded coach (preferably a local coach) to help Rohr in game management situations, we should he fine.
ROhr has his Tunisian and some other assistant handling the tactical and match reading areas
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

john, feel free to insult me, but Rohr is a mediocre coach. He has other qualities, but coaching is not one of them.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Idk if he was a mediocre coach in the past but based on the situation he inherited, the calibre of players SE have, his results against all manner of opponents and himself, you will have to be outright ignorant and entitled to claim he hasn’t done a good job
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

ROhr has qualified NIgeria for 2 major tournaments with a game in hand.

He has proven to be the King of African qualifiers, now he needs to prove he is the king of Tournaments.

He has ANC and FIFA confederations cup to prove it.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Rohr's strengths are running a drama free ship (don't underestimate this skill esp with respect to Naijarians :lol: ); the selection and identification of players largely based on merit, and the organizational setup of his team on the pitch to mention a few.

Rohr's well-documented weakness: bereft of tactical adjustments during games. If I have to be honest, he's quite clueless when it comes to making in-game adjustments to his shape and timely substitutions to ensure the team gets the desired result. He waits too long to make subs and they're usually reactive as opposed to proactive. Against tougher countries like Senegal, etc it will cost us if this isn't addressed. Either his assistants are as clueless as him or he's a knucklehead who won't listen to advise but this problem needs solving if we are to have a fair chance of winning next year.

And before someone bites my hand off, I'm far from advocating for Rohr to be sacked. He's on the right path but there's still a lot of room for improvement if we are to achieve our objectives in next year's AFCON.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:Idk if he was a mediocre coach in the past but based on the situation he inherited, the calibre of players SE have, his results against all manner of opponents and himself, you will have to be outright ignorant and entitled to claim he hasn’t done a good job
He has results against himself?

Na wah O!

Mr. John is destroying them with Grammar in his Micky D's outlet.

I'd like fries with that, please!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Lmao very soon people will start telling doctors that they’re doctors lmao.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:Rohr's strengths are running a drama free ship (don't underestimate this skill esp with respect to Naijarians :lol: ); the selection and identification of players largely based on merit, and the organizational setup of his team on the pitch to mention a few.

Rohr's well-documented weakness: bereft of tactical adjustments during games. If I have to be honest, he's quite clueless when it comes to making in-game adjustments to his shape and timely substitutions to ensure the team gets the desired result. He waits too long to make subs and they're usually reactive as opposed to proactive. Against tougher countries like Senegal, etc it will cost us if this isn't addressed. Either his assistants are as clueless as him or he's a knucklehead who won't listen to advise but this problem needs solving if we are to have a fair chance of winning next year.

And before someone bites my hand off, I'm far from advocating for Rohr to be sacked. He's on the right path but there's still a lot of room for improvement if we are to achieve our objectives in next year's AFCON.

His issue is that he reserves substitutes to kill off time at the end of the match. He explicitly admitted to doing that against Argentina at the WC. As for how reactive he is, well that is up for debate. He does make effective changes shape wise for the most part at half time and has done that in several games e.g. friendlies against Argentina and England. If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tobi17 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
KPOM... Not a big fan of the man, but we can't deny the fact that inspite of his coaching shortcomings, he has brought a level of organization and discipline to the SE team that has never been seen under any other coach - FACTS. Rohr should be able to win the AFCON and qualify us for the next world cup, then we can talk of about asking him to use the exit door...
my fear is what he brings to the team helps us against many african nations (where just being more discipined defensively gives us a huge leg up). Against Europeans, as he demonstrated at the WC, Rohr lacked that Naija swagger, and he couldn't inspire the team to bring it. That to me is where Keshi excelled the most. For all his flaws, players who played for Keshi went toe to toe with any opposition and played like they belonged. I wish Rohr has more belief in his team.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

green4life wrote:Rohr's strengths are running a drama free ship (don't underestimate this skill esp with respect to Naijarians :lol: ); the selection and identification of players largely based on merit, and the organizational setup of his team on the pitch to mention a few.

His biggest crime is that against solid European/South American opposition, Rohr lacks a certain confidence in his team.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Amafolas STFU another entitled fool. It’s not like rohr tactical deficiency was on display against Argentina or Croatia but the simple fact is that CROATIA and ARGENTINA had much superior talent than us and at the end of the way, water go find its level. We had our chances to win but failed to convert our chances while Argentina converted their own chances. It’s not ROhR fault at all
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:Lmao very soon people will start telling doctors that they’re doctors lmao.
All hail the Rohring Dr. Num John Skull.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

metalalloy wrote: If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
It's not overblown. It's a glaringly obvious issue. When a game gets away from him, he appears to freeze like a deer caught in a headlight. It's as if he doesn't know what to do next. The 2 best examples are Argentina and Libya (away). There are others but these are crystal clear examples. Ironically, whereas Ighalo bailed him out against Libya, the same Ighalo came up short against Argentina. But in both games, he could've used a combination of tactical/positional adjustments and timely subs to regain control over the games (that are about to slip away) as opposed to sitting tight and hoping for a lucky break through.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

john12 wrote:Amafolas STFU another entitled fool. It’s not like rohr tactical deficiency was on display against Argentina or Croatia but the simple fact is that CROATIA and ARGENTINA had much superior talent than us and at the end of the way, water go find its level. We had our chances to win but failed to convert our chances while Argentina converted their own chances. It’s not ROhR fault at all
My guy, abeg pipe low with the unnecessary insults. We are all in the same boat.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:
metalalloy wrote: If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
It's not overblown. It's a glaringly obvious issue. When a game gets away from him, he appears to freeze like a deer caught in a headlight. It's as if he doesn't know what to do next. The 2 best examples are Argentina and Libya (away). There are others but these are crystal clear examples. Ironically, whereas Ighalo bailed him out against Libya, the same Ighalo came up short against Argentina. But in both games, he could've used a combination of tactical/positional adjustments and timely subs to regain control over the games (that are about to slip away) as opposed to sitting tight and hoping for a lucky break through.
The highlighted is a perfect example. If he listened to a lot of people on this forum, he would have subbed ighalo out by the time he "bailed him out." There were calls to bring in success to replace Ighalo. In the first leg when Aina was brought in due to an injury to shehu (i think), it unsettled the team until he caught up with the pace of the game. There is no guarantee that a substitution will give you control over the game. I still believe his tactics were fine against Argentina in a game we only needed a draw to proceed. We had chances and didnt take them, they took theirs.

I personally agree with you, I would love to see quicker subs, but he gets the benefit of the doubt as the professional paid to make these decisions.
Last edited by metalalloy on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

john12 wrote:Amafolas STFU another entitled fool. It’s not like rohr tactical deficiency was on display against Argentina or Croatia but the simple fact is that CROATIA and ARGENTINA had much superior talent than us and at the end of the way, water go find its level. We had our chances to win but failed to convert our chances while Argentina converted their own chances. It’s not ROhR fault at all

and this was necessary because?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

john12 wrote:ROhR dosent have to Win ANC next year to judge him. Our goal next year is to perform Respectable, competent and put in a good Fight. This team is in progress and there is a 5 year plan for the team. Also, RIP to the late Keshi but you can’t keep comparing 2014 results vs 2018 results without comparing the opponents or our actual team performance. Our 2018 team was much better than our 2014 team despite not qualifying for R16 and our 2018 team was tougher than 2014 team
Nobe until pesin naked and begin trek upandan bifor dem go call am mad.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

metalalloy wrote:
green4life wrote:
The highlighted is a perfect example. If he listened to a lot of people on this forum, he would have subbed ighalo out by the time he "bailed him out." There were calls to bring in success to replace Ighalo. In the first leg when Aina was brought in due to an injury to shehu (i think), it unsettled the team until he caught up with the pace of the game. There is no guarantee that a substitution will give you control over the game. I still believe his tactics were fine against Argentina in a game we only needed a draw to proceed. We had chances and didnt take them, they took theirs.

I personally agree with you, I would love to see quicker subs, but he gets the benefit of the doubt as the professional paid to make these decisions.
metalalloy wrote:

His issue is that he reserves substitutes to kill off time at the end of the match. He explicitly admitted to doing that against Argentina at the WC. As for how reactive he is, well that is up for debate. He does make effective changes shape wise for the most part at half time and has done that in several games e.g. friendlies against Argentina and England. If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
From his very first game to his most recent. Making timely subs have always been the bane of his coaching with the Naijarian team.

In the Libya game, we were being overrun by the Libyans with momentum clearly shifting to them. Against Argentina, with tiring players he didn't counter when they inttroduced fresh attacking options to run at our tiring team.

What I still don't get is a coach who said he used the World Cup to gain experience for the team. Aside for the 1994 World Cup we were the lowest ranked team in our various groups.

Dude needs to improve on the timeliness of his subs. Like Green4Life said, he needs to be more proactive not wait until the need for a sub is glaringly obvious. Go to game threads, even us fans could tell the tiring players. He waits until the other team scores or has a clear advantage before he changes the same exact players we identified were tired.

He needs to improve.

And we as fans shouldn't lower our expectations because he is Oyibo. We demanded more from local coaches who were not given the tools to suceed but now are reticent when it involves Rohr.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
green4life wrote:

metalalloy wrote:

From his very first game to his most recent. Making timely subs have always been the bane of his coaching with the Naijarian team.

In the Libya game, we were being overrun by the Libyans with momentum clearly shifting to them. Against Argentina, with tiring players he didn't counter when they inttroduced fresh attacking options to run at our tiring team.

What I still don't get is a coach who said he used the World Cup to gain experience for the team. Aside for the 1994 World Cup we were the lowest ranked team in our various groups.

Dude needs to improve on the timeliness of his subs. Like Green4Life said, he needs to be more proactive not wait until the need for a sub is glaringly obvious. Go to game threads, even us fans could tell the tiring players. He waits until the other team scores or has a clear advantage before he changes the same exact players we identified were tired.

He needs to improve.

And we as fans shouldn't lower our expectations because he is Oyibo. We demanded more from local coaches who were not given the tools to suceed but now are reticent when it involves Rohr.
Please stop with all of this "local coaches not been given the tools to succeed" nonsense.

Let me tell you the main tools you need to succeed. PICK THE BEST PLAYERS. Those are your "tools to succeed" Rohr has done this to great effect while local coaches were more concerned with pimping local players for sale, or showing certain foreign based players that they as coaches were "hard men" not to be fu$&ed with. How do you expect to succeed when you build your house on such a faulty foundation.

Each and every coach had the "tools to succeed" many of them chose to ignore those tools.