Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiating

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiati

Post by fabio »

amafolas wrote:
His biggest crime is that against solid European/South American opposition, Rohr lacks a certain confidence in his team.
This is obvious... which has been alluded to in the past.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:

and you are comparing apples to oranges.

Keshi qualified from one of the easiest WC groups, and yet made a meal of it tying against Iran and needing the ref to save us against an average Bosnia side.

Rohr was in the toughest group and was 5 minutes from qualification. If you think Keshi parading Babatunde would have qualified from this group you are living in lala land.

You cannot seriously objectively compare being in one of the easiest WC groups to being in the hardest one.
Revisionist at it's best. Iranian football team in Brazil was not a walk over.

Argentina with Messi struggled against the Iranian team and Messi scored in the 91st.
Rohr was in the toughest group and was 5 minutes from qualification.
Na persin wey give women belle dey rejoice, no be persin wey say, i almost gave her belle....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

truetalk wrote:First and foremost, we got the job done. Congratulations to the team, the crew, the NFF and all SE fans. We have qualified, and almost certainly won the group. It was important to win the group in this watered down qualification of the Ahmad CAF era (24 teams is a bad idea, & CHAN nullifies the greater participation argument).

Bafana is a really poor team, and even with the heat and the altitude, this is the type of team the SE should be beating by 3 goals home or away. Take away the bad officiating and the play of the likes of Nacho and Omeruo, and that would have been achieved in this game. CAF should start taking a closer look at South Africa’s home games. First it was against Senegal, and now this. They are not better than Libya, & while it will be good to have the other economic powerhouse in the CAN, Libya deserves it more & I hope they qualify.
Interestingly, I had spoken against Joseph Lamptey (the Ghananian ref in Bafana’s game vs. Senegal) after he robbed us against Small Congo at home. We should keep a close watch on SAFA and this Gambian officiating crew. Something seems off, but back to the current Eagles team.

We have a good squad. Iheanacho should be on the deep end of the bench, along with Omeruo (and with Omeruo, this is generous). Lots of attacking options to be tried out, who might be better for this set of Eagles, who are complete in almost every other aspect. Success, Osimhen, Dessers, Awoniyi, Onuachu, Nwaekeme are all options that could be tried out over a run of friendlies, as Nacho seems to be missing something (I have my thoughts on this).

I have no doubt that we have the talent to win the CAN and be good with the emerging core for the next decade.
With the conditions stated above (Heat, Officiating, Nacho etc), you might think I’ll let Rohr off the hook, but he is a poor coach that negates the potential and synergy of the team, and wasted a World Cup. I would not call for his immediate firing though (I was for that after the 1st game in Russia). I have written on how we should have a system that would produce a pool of Nigerians that would be in the National coaching system that would be eligible to coach the SE and be supported by the NFF (to get the UEFA professional certification, Winter attachment with clubs, Stipends etc), even while with private clubs. Criteria will be meeting 2-3 or some of these conditions. Multiple titles in Nigeria, A deep run with a Nigerian team on the continent, Ex-Nigerian International with UEFA certification, A decent coaching spell with a European club, Foreign National team, or decent foreign African side, etc) Those that could currently qualify would include Aigbogun, Imama, Oliseh, Amuneke, Ogunbote, Finidi, Maikaba, Boboye and a few others).

So we are stuck with Rohr for the short term. We may yet win the CAN, but it will be in spite of him. He is a poor, extremely conservative coach (which negates the Nigerian flair), with poor game management, and he wasted a hard earned World Cup ticket. He might get a pass due to the conditions in SA, but the sooner we can get rid of him, the better.
Angry scorned agent talk.

We qualified for a tournament (with a game to spare I should add) that we could not qualify for twice in a row, but it's not because of the coach. :???: :veryangry: If that's not straight up scorned agent talk, I dont know what is.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:

We qualified for a tournament (with a game to spare I should add) that we could not qualify for twice in a row, but it's not because of the coach. :???: :veryangry: If that's not straight up scorned agent talk, I dont know what is.
It's Pinnick fault. He smacked the record :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Inaija you dey mind the crook? I’m pretty sure that his still offended at rohr that one of his client wasn’t invited at the previous World Cup because I just can’t fathom how someone would disparage a coach competency after achieving his goal and even suggest termination in-lieu of Winning 2019 ANC. SMH
Last edited by john12 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

john12 wrote:Inaija you dey mind the crook? I’m pretty sure that his still offended at rohr that one of his client wasn’t invited at the previous World Cup becomes I just can’t fathom how someone would disparage a coach competency after achieving his goal and even suggest termination in-lieu of Winning 2019 ANC. SMH
Illiterate! You're still here blowing Grammar, instead of using your spare time to study your elementary school books?

It is almost time for your shift at McDonald's.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

1naija wrote:
truetalk wrote:First and foremost, we got the job done. Congratulations to the team, the crew, the NFF and all SE fans. We have qualified, and almost certainly won the group. It was important to win the group in this watered down qualification of the Ahmad CAF era (24 teams is a bad idea, & CHAN nullifies the greater participation argument).

Bafana is a really poor team, and even with the heat and the altitude, this is the type of team the SE should be beating by 3 goals home or away. Take away the bad officiating and the play of the likes of Nacho and Omeruo, and that would have been achieved in this game. CAF should start taking a closer look at South Africa’s home games. First it was against Senegal, and now this. They are not better than Libya, & while it will be good to have the other economic powerhouse in the CAN, Libya deserves it more & I hope they qualify.
Interestingly, I had spoken against Joseph Lamptey (the Ghananian ref in Bafana’s game vs. Senegal) after he robbed us against Small Congo at home. We should keep a close watch on SAFA and this Gambian officiating crew. Something seems off, but back to the current Eagles team.

We have a good squad. Iheanacho should be on the deep end of the bench, along with Omeruo (and with Omeruo, this is generous). Lots of attacking options to be tried out, who might be better for this set of Eagles, who are complete in almost every other aspect. Success, Osimhen, Dessers, Awoniyi, Onuachu, Nwaekeme are all options that could be tried out over a run of friendlies, as Nacho seems to be missing something (I have my thoughts on this).

I have no doubt that we have the talent to win the CAN and be good with the emerging core for the next decade.
With the conditions stated above (Heat, Officiating, Nacho etc), you might think I’ll let Rohr off the hook, but he is a poor coach that negates the potential and synergy of the team, and wasted a World Cup. I would not call for his immediate firing though (I was for that after the 1st game in Russia). I have written on how we should have a system that would produce a pool of Nigerians that would be in the National coaching system that would be eligible to coach the SE and be supported by the NFF (to get the UEFA professional certification, Winter attachment with clubs, Stipends etc), even while with private clubs. Criteria will be meeting 2-3 or some of these conditions. Multiple titles in Nigeria, A deep run with a Nigerian team on the continent, Ex-Nigerian International with UEFA certification, A decent coaching spell with a European club, Foreign National team, or decent foreign African side, etc) Those that could currently qualify would include Aigbogun, Imama, Oliseh, Amuneke, Ogunbote, Finidi, Maikaba, Boboye and a few others).

So we are stuck with Rohr for the short term. We may yet win the CAN, but it will be in spite of him. He is a poor, extremely conservative coach (which negates the Nigerian flair), with poor game management, and he wasted a hard earned World Cup ticket. He might get a pass due to the conditions in SA, but the sooner we can get rid of him, the better.

The daft comedy club is now in full session, as the 3rd member of the 3 stooges shows up.

Better stick to your Taxi driving lane.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Lol at least working at McDonald’s is more honorable/honest and reeks of a hardworking man than being a an innate pathological Crook that makes a living of stealing and earning dubious fund. Lol mumu thinks it will offend me with that McDonald’s talk smh. Very soon, people will start telling lawyers that they’re lawyers Shameless crook
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
I squarely addressed the issue of coaching in my post, and I agree with you that Rohr should not be fired now. I also mentioned what we need to do medium to long term.

Let's not forget just how poor a coach Rohr is though. This might seem harsh, but he stumbled on what could work for the Eagles in 3 good halves of football (2nd half vs England, 2nd half vs Iceland, 2nd half vs Argentina 2017 friendly) but yet lined up the most lifeless, listless & ineffective set of Eagles most of us will ever see. You just knew they would not score, and it started and ended with the coach. From what he said, the way he lined the team up, his delay in making substitutions & general game management!

No Nigerian team had ever been that lifeless with no bite. Not Onigbinde's with 6 starters missing, not Keshi's with all the money wahala and infighting, not Sia1 with no defence. Rohr's strategy just sucked life out of the team.

We are stuck with him for now though. It is what we do going forward that matters.
Of course, you are simply expressing your opinion and I respect that.
But you also have to recognise that there are just as many Nigerians that agree with you as there are equally knowledgeable Nigerians that would strongly disagree with many if not most of your key assertions.

On balance I believe Rohr has been very good for Nigeria. Yes, I would want the next step to be a Nigerian coach to take over and take us to higher levels of performance. But in the absence of a Nigerian coach that can do that, I'd expect a truly world-class coach to take over.
Question is, who?
Who can we attract from those ranks?

I know you are not asking for Rohr to go right now, but many are. Left to many, he shouldn't have even come back after the WC in Russia. If they'd had their way, exactly where would we have been right now with one game left in the AFCON qualifiers?
Meanwhile, if you ask them to name a realistic replacement, you'll draw a clear blank.
Or a vague "there are many better coaches out there".

Who nah? Dem no talk.

So let's be a little realistic in our assessment of what we have achieved, and why.
Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.
Kpom Kwem!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

vancity eagle wrote:Please stop with all of this "local coaches not been given the tools to succeed" nonsense.

Let me tell you the main tools you need to succeed. PICK THE BEST PLAYERS. Those are your "tools to succeed" Rohr has done this to great effect while local coaches were more concerned with pimping local players for sale, or showing certain foreign based players that they as coaches were "hard men" not to be fu$&ed with. How do you expect to succeed when you build your house on such a faulty foundation.

Each and every coach had the "tools to succeed" many of them chose to ignore those tools.
And please stop with the “pick the best players” nonsense... :lol:

A minute ago, you were lambasting Ahmed Musa calling him “headless and useless” and terming his SE invitations as criminal and corrupt. Anyway, local coaches picked their own so-called “best” players to actually WIN the AFCON and to actually get past the group stages of the WC (something that Herr Rohr could not do with his own so-called “best” players). Again, NOTHING personal against Rohr (still think he is doing a good enough job under the circumstances), but frankly get irritated when folks like you act as if Rohr has achieved anything at all that local coaches have not yet achieved (and yes, whether you acknowledge it or choose to bury your head in the sand of denial, under much more HORRIBLE working conditions and administrative support). Even Amodu qualified Nigeria for the AFCON with games to spare (second-place team was left in the dust ELEVEN points behind) and completely without blemish - untied and unbeaten, while conceding barely an own goal in the qualifiers.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:His issue is that he reserves substitutes to kill off time at the end of the match. He explicitly admitted to doing that against Argentina at the WC. As for how reactive he is, well that is up for debate. He does make effective changes shape wise for the most part at half time and has done that in several games e.g. friendlies against Argentina and England. If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
Can you cite any situations where Rohr made a tactical change whilst the game is in play - i.e. not half-time and not a substitution? I can't think of any.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:Amafolas STFU another entitled fool. It’s not like rohr tactical deficiency was on display against Argentina or Croatia but the simple fact is that CROATIA and ARGENTINA had much superior talent than us and at the end of the way, water go find its level. We had our chances to win but failed to convert our chances while Argentina converted their own chances. It’s not ROhR fault at all
Did "water go find its level" when South Korea defeated Germany in the World Cup?

Abeg, just sharrrraaaap!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:
green4life wrote:
metalalloy wrote: If you go into a game with a game plan, you do not always adjust at the first sign of trouble, sometimes your players do play through adversity. I personally agree he could be a bit more proactive with substitution, however, the calls for his lack of substitutions a bit overblown, you don't just make subs just because you haven't used your three subs as some people on this forum want him to do. Sometimes, subs can mess up the flow of your game.
It's not overblown. It's a glaringly obvious issue. When a game gets away from him, he appears to freeze like a deer caught in a headlight. It's as if he doesn't know what to do next. The 2 best examples are Argentina and Libya (away). There are others but these are crystal clear examples. Ironically, whereas Ighalo bailed him out against Libya, the same Ighalo came up short against Argentina. But in both games, he could've used a combination of tactical/positional adjustments and timely subs to regain control over the games (that are about to slip away) as opposed to sitting tight and hoping for a lucky break through.
The highlighted is a perfect example. If he listened to a lot of people on this forum, he would have subbed ighalo out by the time he "bailed him out." There were calls to bring in success to replace Ighalo. In the first leg when Aina was brought in due to an injury to shehu (i think), it unsettled the team until he caught up with the pace of the game. There is no guarantee that a substitution will give you control over the game. I still believe his tactics were fine against Argentina in a game we only needed a draw to proceed. We had chances and didnt take them, they took theirs.

I personally agree with you, I would love to see quicker subs, but he gets the benefit of the doubt as the professional paid to make these decisions.
He's slow to react when Nigeria is under pressure - countless examples of this - first noticed it against Algeria in the WCQ. He's been like this for two years - reactive and somewhat ponderous - ain't gonna change his spots now.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

john12 wrote:In honestly believe that many Nigerians are naturally Arrogant/entitled and have argumentative issues. They do not like when things are organized, steady and smooth but always wants to argue. Anyway, let’s remind imbeciles like the thread opener what rohr inherited. In 2016, rohr was hired to coach Nigeria and inherited a team that failed to qualify for 2 nations cup (back to back) and were drawn in a group of death at WCQ. Infact, many people here resigned to a loss of appearance at Russia 18 but ROHR slowly got our boys playing well and beating African teams playing attractive football and not causing commotion. We qualified for 2018 World Cup and was drawn in the Group of death. Many neutrals predicted Nigeria to end up last position at that WC due to some of our opponents having higher rated players. We played ok at that tournament because the teams we lost to had more QUALITY players and play at better QUALITY teams than most of our BACKWATER league guys so you really can’t blame the coach. After World Cup, this man again smoothly wins 3 games in a row and could had won another if not for dodgy officiating instead of people to just congratulate the team for achieving it aim, you’re busy disparaging our coach. This foolish imbecile has the nerve to suggest we sack a coach that just qualified for ANC and even if he wins ANC, we should sack him. Did I read that right? What’s this imbecile achievements in life that his suggesting we sack a coach for achieving his aim?I hope you don’t get terminated or in lieu of termination at your place of employment after achieving your goal. Anyway, these are some of the invaluable things rohr has brought to SE.
1) Merit: Almost all players called up are invited based on Merit and there isn’t any SUSPICIOUS call up to the team like the previous 3 coaches. The man has brought INTEGRITY, Honesty back to SE. Oliseh benched Mikel for Sylvester igboun (lmao)
2) Organization- the man has organized our team properly
3) tactics - he always uses the right tactics almost all the time and he dosen’t stay stagnant. We play defensive football and attacking football depending on our opponents
4) Beefs - the man has done a proper job in this regard
5) younstars/talents- the man do not waste time scouting talented youngsters or giving them a chance. So many youngsters has gotten their breakthrough under him
His only grouse to you guys are
Substitution- you guys claim he dosent substitute players on time and although I’m undecided regarding this issues bectyiu do not substitute any player when everyone is playing well so I can understand your grouse but delayed SUBSTITUTION isn’t enough reason to terminate a coach. Anyway, NIGERIA is just an average football team. We have always been average in the past and present and it will take Time, consistency, organization, talent, Hardwork for us to break that cycle of average and become WORLD CLASS so anything contrary to Average, humble your forking self.
FIRST OF ALL...

...there's no need to get worked up as you seem to be. These are only opinions and those expressing diametrically opposing views may be sincere. And right, to boot. Or you could be right, also. I think, the burden is on you to calmly prove them wrong with solid points. And it's alright if you fail to agree.

Personally. I don't have a strong opinion on Rorh one way or the other but to make it sound as though he's doing something that has never been accomplished before by Nigerian coaches is not a correct analysis of the situations. He's not the first to qualify Nigeria for the WC: Amodu did it twice, and Keshi did it once with Nigeria and with Togo. Keshi also won the ANC, despite the NFA running interference.

In evaluating Rohr and previous Nigerian coaches, there are two facts that should not be ignored. One is the effort of Pinnick who seems desirous of removing impediments that have caused Nigeria to underperform in tournaments. The second is that Rohr (like all the foreign coaches before him) have benefitted from a tendency of Nigerian officials and players to yield to foreign coaches and to create an enabling environment for them.

Compare this to the experience of, say, Keshi. Recall the shambolic way his squad was transported to Brazil for the Confederations Cup. Then recall how the players almost mutinied during Brazil '14 fearing that their bonuses would be stolen. And after the WC, instead of incorporating lessons learned from Brazil and preparing for the ANC, the NFA went into a protracted period of litigation to decide who would run the org. And then the failure to qualify for the ANC was blamed on Keshi. Let's the honest, has Rohr had to face any of these man-made obstacles? Not to say there are no issues with Nigerian coaches, but some praise is in order given their working environment.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

For me, this matter is a totally false argument and simply illustrates the Nigerian's propensity for generating heat and no light, much like NEPA. :lol:

The whole silly argument has been defined by two extreme points of view held by a few noisemakers: you either love Rohr and denigrate our previous local coaches ('WOWO') or you have great respect for previous local coaches and want Rohr belittled and hopefully dismissed.

The reality is that the vast majority do not hold either of these extreme views and simply want the best for the NT here and now, regardless of what silliness might have happened in the past. You can have a love for local coaches and their past achievements whilst at the same time not begrudge the present foreign coach. Some of us - many of us - 'fought' for Keshi and Siasia and Oliseh and will 'fight' for Rohr because we are looking for continuity as a baseline from which to build a great NT. We would love instant results but realize it aint gonna happen that way and are ready to go through a slow building process.

The most absurd argument in all this is the one that says local coaches were sacked in what most of us agree were unfair and ridiculous circumstances and therefore in the true spirit of Nigerian 'fairness' (not to mention our unique definition of '20/20 Vision'), Rohr should be treated the same way.
Huh? :blink:

The second most absurd argument is that Rohr should be charting up far better results than our local coaches because he has better NFF support than local coaches ever had, as if the NFF is the sole variable affecting the NT's results on the field.

Left to many, this guy shoulda been sacked immediately after the WC. I wonder where we'd be today in our AFCON qualification journey if they had gotten their wish? If Rohr is generally on the right track, exactly what is the problem?

It sounds kind of desperate when of all the issues that have plagued the SE in the past, the BIG ISSUE today has now boiled down to the subjective coaching matter of ... the timing of substitutions. :rotf:

Comedy, but I guess its progress all the same. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:For me, this matter is a totally false argument and simply illustrates the Nigerian's propensity for generating heat and no light, much like NEPA. :lol:

The whole silly argument has been defined by two extreme points of view held by a few noisemakers: you either love Rohr and denigrate our previous local coaches ('WOWO') or you have great respect for previous local coaches and want Rohr belittled and hopefully dismissed.

The reality is that the vast majority do not hold either of these extreme views and simply want the best for the NT here and now, regardless of what silliness might have happened in the past. You can have a love for local coaches and their past achievements whilst at the same time not begrudge the present foreign coach. Some of us - many of us - 'fought' for Keshi and Siasia and Oliseh and will 'fight' for Rohr because we are looking for continuity as a baseline from which to build a great NT. We would love instant results but realize it aint gonna happen that way and are ready to go through a slow building process.

The most absurd argument in all this is the one that says local coaches were sacked in what most of us agree were unfair and ridiculous circumstances and therefore in the true spirit of Nigerian 'fairness' (not to mention our unique definition of '20/20 Vision'), Rohr should be treated the same way.

The second most absurd argument is that Rohr should be charting up far better results than our local coaches because he has better NFF support than local coaches ever had, as if the NFF is the sole variable affecting the NT's results on the field.

Left to many, this guy shoulda been sacked immediately after the WC. I wonder where we'd be today in our AFCON qualification journey if they had gotten their wish? If Rohr is generally on the right track, exactly what is the problem?

It sounds kind of desperate when of all the issues that have plagued the SE in the past, the BIG ISSUE today has now boiled down to the subjective coaching matter of ... the timing of substitutions. :rotf:

... the timing of substitutions Timing is everything in life, let alone football.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:For me, this matter is a totally false argument and simply illustrates the Nigerian's propensity for generating heat and no light, much like NEPA. :lol:

... the timing of substitutions Timing is everything in life, let alone football.
Okay nah.
Start timing your substitutions from a bench full of invited 'junks'.
Or you can start beautifully timing your substitutions in your DNQ games with teams using you to practice for their upcoming AFCONS AND World Cups. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Nna, dude FAILED at the World Cup.

Let us first admit that he failed.

The argument for retaining him shouldn't be based on the World Cup performance. And I have stated that much.

If you want to retain him for other reasons other than measurable and quantifiable achievements, by all means, do so.

My gripe is with folks that are suddenly making it seem like we did well at the World Cup or it should be the basis of retaining him.

It should not.

I am hoping he does well at the AFCON... and not when or if he is bounced out, the argument will be that he should be given more time. We as fans should not be satisfied with mediocre performance, especially if we want to compete with the World's best. But if you are satisfied with mediocrity... and just collecting COP (Certificate of Participation), then retain him despite the lack of progress. And no, qualifying for AFCON should not be celebrated. PINNICK is the reason why we have lowered our standards and expectations... where qualifying for AFCON is now seen as an accomplishment.

BTW, NFF support is a MAJOR variable in coaching success. Can't imagine what we would have accomplished if the NFF gave the local coaches the same support.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Cellular wrote: And no, qualifying for AFCON should not be celebrated. PINNICK is the reason why we have lowered our standards and expectations... where qualifying for AFCON is now seen as an accomplishment.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

john12 wrote:When I start cursing goats out now they would call me names. Truetalk, you’re a foolish unappreciative imbecile. I don’t know rohr but based on his Nigeria performance in the last 3 years, he has been GOOD. To call him a poor coach is just absurd and outright ignorant. Oliseh was giving a job and after 5 months, he beef with multiple players. I don’t even have time to explain myself because I have done it numerous times
Bros - John12: EASY, please. take it easy! Just state your opinion and that is all we need
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
The guy is a coward not a good coach,SE job is too big for him,he either win the ANC or step down no two ways about it.A good coach could have take us to the finals and likely win the world cup.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

elerineye wrote:The more important question for me is, are we going to Cameroon to “learn”?
... or to win it? I hope we are going to Cameroon to win the AFCON Cup, not to learn.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

The stupidity and typical delusions of grandeur are in full effect ... ahhh never mind :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.