Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiating

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Good Team, Bright Prospects, Poor Coach, Shady Officiati

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:For me, this matter is a totally false argument and simply illustrates the Nigerian's propensity for generating heat and no light, much like NEPA. :lol:

The whole silly argument has been defined by two extreme points of view held by a few noisemakers: you either love Rohr and denigrate our previous local coaches ('WOWO') or you have great respect for previous local coaches and want Rohr belittled and hopefully dismissed.

The reality is that the vast majority do not hold either of these extreme views and simply want the best for the NT here and now, regardless of what silliness might have happened in the past....

It sounds kind of desperate when of all the issues that have plagued the SE in the past, the BIG ISSUE today has now boiled down to the subjective coaching matter of ... the timing of substitutions. :rotf:

Comedy, but I guess its progress all the same. :idea:
Nna, dude FAILED at the World Cup.

Let us first admit that he failed.
Cellular, you are setting up strawmen left, right and centre :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Okay, let's admit he failed.
Its not as if anyone has argued that he 'succeeded' - but that is your first strawman.
So he failed.
Probably like 31 of the 32 other NT coaches "failed", depending on who you ask and how they choose to define failure/success
The argument for retaining him shouldn't be based on the World Cup performance. And I have stated that much.
Strawman no 2.
This is precisely what his defenders are NOT arguing. Rather, it is what his critics are arguing, regardless of all else.
If you want to retain him for other reasons other than measurable and quantifiable achievements, by all means, do so.
Of course! What else?
Qualifying for the WC. Qualifying for AFCON. Team rebuilding. Genuine new, young talents in the mix.
These are not to be dismissed, but you insist on getting rid of him based solely on the WC "failure".
And all this becos we have made similar bone-headed decisions on our local coaches in the past and we need to stay consistent with our fantastic '20/20 Vision'. :rotf:
My gripe is with folks that are suddenly making it seem like we did well at the World Cup or it should be the basis of retaining him.
It should not
Repeat of Strawman no 2, repackaged.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Odas wrote:
elerineye wrote:The more important question for me is, are we going to Cameroon to “learn”?
... or to win it? I hope we are going to Cameroon to win the AFCON Cup, not to learn.
Let's wait and hear their mantra... It's not going to be 'young players' or going to 'Learn' .
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Let me get my Solowe on a bit.

What Truetalk can see sitting down

YoungJohn 12 can't from the top of the Empire State Building.

This was after the 1-1 draw in South Africa against Bafana during the AFCON qualifiers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
highbury wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Rohr may well be a poor coach, or not that great, but for me he is far better, than any coach we have had for a long time, and getting rid of him to replace him with who ?

That would be taking a BIG BIG risk, and going by previous indigenous coaches like Oliseh, Keshi, even SSS, those would all be a step backwards.

Rohr is not my favorite and I have plenty of problems with him, but he is the best we have had in a while, and firing him to replace him with a coach who will likely be corrupt and force domestic based players on us or beef with players. HELL NO.
I squarely addressed the issue of coaching in my post, and I agree with you that Rohr should not be fired now. I also mentioned what we need to do medium to long term.

Let's not forget just how poor a coach Rohr is though. This might seem harsh, but he stumbled on what could work for the Eagles in 3 good halves of football (2nd half vs England, 2nd half vs Iceland, 2nd half vs Argentina 2017 friendly) but yet lined up the most lifeless, listless & ineffective set of Eagles most of us will ever see. You just knew they would not score, and it started and ended with the coach. From what he said, the way he lined the team up, his delay in making substitutions & general game management!

No Nigerian team had ever been that lifeless with no bite. Not Onigbinde's with 6 starters missing, not Keshi's with all the money wahala and infighting, not Sia1 with no defence. Rohr's strategy just sucked life out of the team.

We are stuck with him for now though. It is what we do going forward that matters.
Of course, you are simply expressing your opinion and I respect that.
But you also have to recognise that there are just as many Nigerians that agree with you as there are equally knowledgeable Nigerians that would strongly disagree with many if not most of your key assertions.

On balance I believe Rohr has been very good for Nigeria. Yes, I would want the next step to be a Nigerian coach to take over and take us to higher levels of performance. But in the absence of a Nigerian coach that can do that, I'd expect a truly world-class coach to take over.
Question is, who?
Who can we attract from those ranks?

I know you are not asking for Rohr to go right now, but many are. Left to many, he shouldn't have even come back after the WC in Russia. If they'd had their way, exactly where would we have been right now with one game left in the AFCON qualifiers?
Meanwhile, if you ask them to name a realistic replacement, you'll draw a clear blank.
Or a vague "there are many better coaches out there".

Who nah? Dem no talk.

So let's be a little realistic in our assessment of what we have achieved, and why.
Nor be by luck.
Let's give Rohr his due.
The dude is a mediocre coach. He is not bad as a manager but his a poor coach.

The team play hasn't improved. He fraudulently said he took the team to the World Cup to gain experience. But he was the one who went to the World Cup to gain the experience, not the players. Some of his selection for the World Cup and his inability to adjust in-game is still a problem with the team.

In case you guys are playing possum, he failed at the WC.
He has qualified for the AFCON. He better win it or worse, finish top 4.
Dont get your hopes up. He has already inoculated himself by saying at the press conference post the game against South Africa that our chances are little better than the World Cup :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: That means round of 16 or Q finals at best :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Start from 10:23-11:28.. You get you answer. I am not making this up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No need for too much talk.
Just give us a realistic shortlist of three coaches from anywhere in the world to take over.
Like someone said, you people cannot rest if you don't see drama - just like Nollywood addicts.
Meanwhile, you will be proclaiming upandan that you don't like drama. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oya, let's get rid of him nah, but tell us who replaces him.
We dey wait....
dude you are allover the place, we've taken LCs to AFcon and finsihed top , 2nd and even bronze like 3 times.. you WOWO , said our chances are just a little above that of the WC, and you are here talking about naming 3 coaches.. abeg ROhr is not good enough for our Team, he has taken the team thus far

He lost 4 points vs SA and used the likes of Libya and SEychelles to qualify.. smh
i no talk am
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Same old. Same old.
Can I say more.

Anyone hoping for anything better from this coach while he is in charge of the SE is seriously deluded.

More time. Same dog's dinner.

I just like reading his cheerleaders like Damunk. Doc Damunk, you see ya life? :taunt:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
john12 wrote:ROhR dosent have to Win ANC next year to judge him. Our goal next year is to perform Respectable, competent and put in a good Fight. This team is in progress and there is a 5 year plan for the team. Also, RIP to the late Keshi but you can’t keep comparing 2014 results vs 2018 results without comparing the opponents or our actual team performance. Our 2018 team was much better than our 2014 team despite not qualifying for R16 and our 2018 team was tougher than 2014 team
You've started again, :mad: :mad: :mad: Disrespect Keshi's achievements then lower the bar for Rohr. Round of 16 was Rohr's goal BEFORE the tournament so based on his own goal he clearly failed. He knew the teams in the group before setting that goal. He knew Argentina's team before saying he will beat them at the press conference (when all we needed was a draw) then ended up losing. Remember before Croatia match he set a goal to draw the game and lost... Keshi had the same goal and achieved it, Keshi has the same ANC and won it. Let us know when Rohr gets close to this.
Hmmmm, see info.
How come this piece of information is never rolled out by the anti-Rohr mob? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

cchinukw wrote:Same old. Same old.
Can I say more.

Anyone hoping for anything better from this coach while he is in charge of the SE is seriously deluded.

More time. Same dog's dinner.

I just like reading his cheerleaders like Damunk. Doc Damunk, you see ya life? :taunt:
Your own description of me is even polite sef.
The insults are many and go as far back as the Keshi and Siasia era.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

so Rohr is still a useless coach, if we can call him a coach at all. And Pinnick plans to send him "abroad" to study coaching....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."