Sports Editors Breakfast with Rohr - sponsored by Peak Milk

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Sports Editors Breakfast with Rohr - sponsored by Peak Milk

Post by Otitokoro »

This was held this morning - November 23, 2018.
Fast forward to the 1 hr mark - thats when the event truely started.
Interesting Q&A with Rohr, featuring the foremost sports reporters in Nigeria
[/video]
Last edited by Otitokoro on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Sports Editors Breakfast with Rohr - sponsored by Peak M

Post by Otitokoro »

Part II
[/video]

Based on Rohr's comments regarding the challenges the players faced in their trip to SA, I would recall my comments about their overall performance during that match. Acceptable explanation by Rohr. Wish my Super Eagles the very best!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Xcellent forum, Top coach with a plan for SE. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

thanks for the links. Interesting he blames the wc loss against arg to players not defending the result but going for a win. He is open to new better players.His team is a work in progress and he thinks its at 70% so far.

:shock: who asked that foolish question about the no 10 jersey. How do these people get their credentials as journalists abeg?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

metalalloy wrote:thanks for the links. Interesting he blames the wc loss against arg to players not defending the result but going for a win. He is open to new better players.His team is a work in progress and he thinks its at 70% so far.

:shock: who asked that foolish question about the no 10 jersey. How do these people get their credentials as journalists abeg?
He better be referring to the likes of Ebere eze and Ejaria in his quest for more quality young players.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

and these are these foremost sports writers in Nigeria ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

jette1 wrote:and these are these foremost sports writers in Nigeria ?
What were you expecting? Espn or BBc sports journalists? Nigeria is a very poor underdeveloped nation, this is about the best our system can put out.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Says Kelechi's issue is a confidence once. Since Rohr places value on left footed players,and likes Kelechi, he aint going anywhere anytime soon.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
What were you expecting? Espn or BBc sports journalists? Nigeria is a very poor underdeveloped nation, this is about the best our system can put out.

Apart from the daft question about chukwueze being brooded as mikels replacement because he wore the no 10 jersey, the rest of the questions were pretty good IMO.

why did they let that bush longer throat Paj in there to come and ask about free lunch?

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

metalalloy wrote:
Apart from the daft question about chukwueze being brooded as mikels replacement because he wore the no 10 jersey, the rest of the questions were pretty good IMO.

why did they let that bush longer throat Paj in there to come and ask about free lunch?
Hmm, if Oga Paj cach (catch) you for des kain tin wey you write so, well, na you sabi. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...egunje foremost sports reporters, that I concur :thumbs: :thumbs:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:Says Kelechi's issue is a confidence once. Since Rohr places value on left footed players,and likes Kelechi, he aint going anywhere anytime soon.
Intersting to hear how he felt there hadn't been enough time to form the Musa-Ohimhen or Musa-Success partnership and therefore stuck with Kelechi.
Also the fact that he used to work with the Leicester City assistant coach and is in regular contact and that they all agree Kelechi needs a confidence boost.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Well they might not speak very well (public speaking is a common problem in Nigeria) but tbh the questions were not that bad.
Colin Udoh for example is an excellent writer.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Damunk wrote:
Well they might not speak very well (public speaking is a common problem in Nigeria) but tbh the questions were not that bad.
I didn't think it was that bad either but you know our people. We must always bring everything down. I bet you some if not majority watched looking for something to criticize. It is a damn shame if you ask me...smh
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Neither akamu nor cornflakes was presented with peak milk at the forum! Tufiakwa. :D
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I didn't think it was that bad either but you know our people. We must always bring everything down. I bet you some if not majority watched looking for something to criticize. It is a damn shame if you ask me...smh
They must be star struck because honestly the only one seriously issue raised at this so called breakfast was about local players infusion into SE; not only did he gloss over it and, yet no one pressed him on that. what about all the very glaring issues about his contract mandates, his coaching style, reading the game, substitutions, lack of strategy which these mugus write and talk about like the one we all read last week on picnic giving interview to a radio station on him regarding issues I dont recall right now. And here they are sitting face to face with him and everybody all of a sudden conveniently went impetuously limp. Everything else asked or talked about were at best juvenile. what about the fact that they all actually seem reluctant to even speak
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

With first half done, Gernot Rohr seeks glorious encore
By Christian Okpara
26 November 2018 | 3:31 am

South Africa’s Percy Tau look up for the ball with Nigeria’s Collins Jamilu during the African Cup of Nations qualifier match between South Africa and Nigeria on November 17, 2018 at Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Photo by PHILL MAGAKOE / AFP)

There are indications that Gernot Rohr wants to be remembered for several good things after his tour of duty in Nigeria.
One of such is his successful effort at lifting the Super Eagles from a fallen side, which could not qualify for two straight African Nations Cup competitions, to a giant of world football close to the height it achieved in 1994, when the team was rated as the best five in the world.

Since he became Super Eagles’ Manager in August 2016, the Franco-German has been slowly, but steadily building a team of young players, which he believes will in no distant time fulfill the dreams of Nigerian football fans for a sturdy side.

While insisting that the future is bright, the Super Eagles’ coach says that that future is beginning to unravel with the Nigerian team setting some records, including being the first African side to qualify for the Russia 2018 World Cup and also qualifying for the 2019 African Nations Cup with a game to spare.

Rohr recently signed a new contract with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that will see him leading the country to the Qatar 2022 World. He said his target for now is to achieve a glorious encore in his stay with the Eagles.

Speaking at a Sports Editors’ Roundtable, tagged ‘Peak Breakfast with Rohr,’ organised by HS Media Group, owners of the HotSports brand and sponsored by Friesland Campina, makers of Peak Milk, Rohr projects that the next few months are crucial to country’s aspirations, especially at the 2019 African Nations Cup.

He adds that the quality of players available for selection in the Super Eagles has given him the belief that better days are ahead for his team, stressing: “I have achieved 70 per cent of what we set out to do from the onset. There is room still for improvement, but there is a bright future, because more young players are coming with more qualities, more fighting spirit and enthusiasm, which is what I like in my teams.

Nigeria’s Alexander Iwobi reacts during the African Cup of Nations qualifier match between South Africa and Nigeria on November 17, 2018 at Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Photo by PHILL MAGAKOE / AFP)

“I see a player like Alex Iwobi and the joy he shows when playing football. I see the joy in Kalu and Chukwueze… the enthusiasm they bring to football, the joy to play and the readiness to work for the team.
“The situation we have now is that even when a particular player is not around due to injury or suspension, the person replacing him brings the same spirit to the team. But there is still a lot of work to do… to make fewer mistakes in the defence. But I think we are on the right path.”

However, Rohr admits that his team still needs improvement in all the departments, saying the goalkeeping department is an area he needs to do more work on.

He stated: “Our goalkeeper is still young and needs more experience. You cannot be perfect in this area at the young age, but he is working hard everyday to improve.

“Our defence is also not at the level we want. Balogun is not playing in his club, which is not good for us. I hope he gets more chance to play. We have to look at ways to fortify the defence. Fortunately, we have found a good left back in Jamilu Collins. He is giving us satisfaction.

“I think we need more legs in the midfield. We have John Ogu, who is very powerful and decisive. We have the young Etebor, who is playing in Stoke, but he has to improve much more. We saw Mikel Agu, who did well in Asaba.

“Ighalo’s return has done well for us. But we are still searching for good players upfront. We don’t have players in the mould of Jay Jay Okocha, Rashidi Yekini, Finidi George or Sunday Oliseh, but we have a good team. We are open to better players because we have to improve on every department.”

Rohr is happy that his players have shown tremendous appetite for hard work and sacrifice, which he said could only lead to success. He explains that the team is blessed with quality leaders, who have made the task of coordinating the squad easy for the technical crew.

“Musa’s leadership of the team has worked very well because he brings the right spirit to the group, which is very important. He is a younger man than Mikel with a different mentality.

The captain is very important because he can help me to bring to the team not only the right spirit, but also the right organisation on the pitch and off it.

“We spend about 22 hours of the day and perhaps two hours on the pitch. He also helps in the hotel and in the travelling, which is very important.

“Mikel is also a fantastic captain. He brings a certain calm to the team and the players respect for what he has achieved. We are blessed because in his absence Musa has done well. Even if Musa is not around we have our third captain, Troost-Ekong, who is also a very good character and an example for all these young players we have now.”

Rohr reveals that Alex Iwobi is now his playmaker, the real number 10, adding that the Arsenal man’s vision and ability to dictate play will be crucial for the team going forward.

He adds, “Chukwueze wore number 10 jersey in Asaba because the jersey was available.

Super Eagles’ captain Ahmed Musa (left) is tackled by South Africa’s Tiyani Mabunda, during the Africa Cup of Nations Group E qualifier at FNB Stadium, in Johannesburg, South Africa … yesterday. PHOTO: AFP<br />

“A lot of people were very surprised that I invited him, but he is doing well in Villarreal. He is left footed and that is good for us. Kelechi Iheanacho was the only attacking left footer in our team.
“In the past, we even played some matches without a left footer, which is not good. When you play a game without at least one left-footer, there is always a problem.

There is a law in football that you must have at least one. With Collins, Kelechi, Ogu and Chukwueze we now have good competition in the squad.

“What we need is a good cocktail from all of them, right, left foot and people that can also head the ball.

“We have four wingers already in Chukwueze, Kalu, Musa and Simon Moses. We are lucky to have left footers now, who can cross very well. Today we see left footers playing in the right wing and crossing the game very well.”

One of the questions Rohr have been asked often is his seeming neglect of players from the local league, with his team made up of almost 95 per cent foreign-based players. The coach disagrees that he has no regard for local players, adding that he rather prefers players who are active and can add to his squad.

“You know we have had at least 20 local players from the local league since I became manager here. But the problem is that after one game they all run to Europe. Stephen Ezeh, Stephen Odey, Alhassan and a host of others.

“Sometimes we see that some people want local players in the team because they want to sell them to Europe. That is not what we want. We only look out for the quality of the players.

“But it is so difficult to have local players in the Eagles when they are not playing. You have a situation where for three or four months the players are not playing because the league has been halted abruptly. We are not in the national team to keep people fit, but we need people who are fit to play.

“We also need better infrastructure in the country to make the players better. To even play our matches there are not enough good pitches. The clubs don’t have pitches. Everywhere there is lack of infrastructure, especially pitches.

“The clubs don’t have junior teams. There must be U-20 teams, U-17 teams owned by clubs with good coaches to teach them the right way to play. If there is a regular league, better training for young players and better infrastructure, the players will also become better.

“The problem is that there is so much inconsistency. The league has not been active so the players cannot be scouted because you cannot invite players who are not active. We want to see the local players in the CHAN team, U-23 team etc. But I think President Pinnick, Seyi and Dikko know what we want and I am sure they are working on it.”

On the belief that he waits for far too long to make changes, he said switching players depends on the situation and the collective decision with his assistants. “Against Argentina at the World Cup, I wanted to bring in Iwobi for Musa, but my assistants, who were upstairs analysing the game, advised against that.

They told me that the Argentine defenders were afraid of Musa and changing him would be counterproductive, so I waited. Perhaps, I should have gone ahead to effect the change.

“We change according to situations and also, we know that something can happen to change the dynamics of a game, like a red card to the goalkeeper happening when you have already made all the changes. That means you cannot bring another goalkeeper and would be forced to play without a goalkeeper.”

Rohr thanked the Delta State government for providing the Stephen Keshi Stadium, which he says will complement the Godswill Akpabio Stadium and the Adokie Aimeisimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt as Super Eagles match venues.

He, however, advised the Delta State government to work on certain aspect of the stadium to make it perfect for games.

“The players prefer good grass pitches all the time. The Asaba stadium is a brand new one, the grass is only six months old and is not yet of top quality. We spoke with the grass man in Asaba on how to cut the grass and he promised to do it well and then take away the old grass and not leave it on the pitch.

“Everybody saw that the ball was not bouncing very well in the game against Uganda. They need better equipment for rolling the grass. We had very warm welcome from the people and the governor. That is why we need to go to other venues to play so that Nigerians in different cities will see their team.

“But I think the players believe Uyo is the best pitch in the country. This is also what I believe. It is a stadium where you can have access to the dressing room without hassles. In Asaba, it was difficult to get into the stadium. For the first time in my long career, I had to come down from the bus to try to see that people left the entrance so that the bus could enter. So, the Asaba stadium needs better organisation, better access to the stadium. In Uyo we have all of that. It is a World Cup stadium, but it is good that other states are building good stadia so that they can host the Eagles.”

The coach laments that Nigeria is the only country that does not play important matches in the federal capital and big commercial cities like Lagos. He adds, “We cannot play in Abuja because the stadium is not good. There is a stadium, but there is no good grass. And it is not too costly to construct good grass pitches.

“I will also like to play in Lagos. I saw the national stadium in Lagos but there is no grass. Lagos should be able to receive the Super Eagles and other national teams.”

On the allegation that his team has no defined pattern, Rohr says, “We play collective football. The World Cup taught us that possession does not win matches. We want to go straight to goal, with vertical passes, quickly and we want to give our strikers a lot of time to be creative in their approach.

“When we lose the ball, everybody has to fight to get it back through pressing. We have quick players and we have this fast kind of play. We have scored a lot of goals, even though not lately. That is why we need quality players. The strikers can dribble and also play for the team.”

On players changing allegiance to Nigeria, Rohr says the decision must come from the players, who must write to their current federations indicating they want to switch to Nigeria.

“In Ola Aina’s case it took eight months because in UK four federations in the country must decide. It is easier with other countries like Germany and Austria. I spoke with Kevin Akpoguma’s father and he said Kevin should make the decision himself. And Kevin told me he is not ready yet.

“Ademola Lukman and Solanke are not convinced. They have not made up their minds so we will allow then to decide. We will go back to them later, but we cannot force anybody to play for us. It is very important decisions for them to make. Noah Bazee is also on our radar.”

Rohr dismissed the claim by some pundits that his team struggles when faced with physical sides, as demonstrated by the last match against Uganda and that the Eagles cannot cope with the robust African football they will face at the Cameroun 2019 African Nations Cup. He says the solution lies in preparing well for the competition.

“We need to get another physical coach not only to work when we are in camp, but also to go to the clubs and work with players who need help.

“Sometimes our players need individual coaching. Now we have Tyrone Ebuehi, who is coming back from injury, we sent a coach to work with him. We did it with Uzoho when he wasn’t playing for Deportivo before the World Cup.

“At the World Cup, we played against physical sides like Iceland and we were ready. It is important to be fit physically and now that we will have three weeks to prepare for Cameroun, we will be ready.”

Rohr rates Nigeria as the most passionate football-loving nation than all the other countries he has coached. He admits that sometimes the passion could be taken too far, but he is happy that the NFF has given him free hand to do his job.

“This passion comes with pressure from the people. But I have never had this pressure from the NFF. We had a technical committee that became difficult to work with after the loss to South Africa last year.

“They wanted to do our job for us because we lost that game. That was the only moment when we felt they tried to influence our choices. But the current technical committee is different. They allow us to do our job. We are working with good people now. Before we make our list, I consult my assistants, my staff and scouts and sometimes the medical staff. We send our list to the technical committee and they always approve the list. It is also in my contract and the present committee respects it.”

On his relationship with Ogenyi Onazi and the absence of the Turkey-based team from his squad lately, Rohr said it was all down to medical issues.

He adds, “Onazi’s case is very simple, he has inflammation of the tendon. In Uyo, he told us honestly that he can only play with injections. I spoke with the doctor and the doctor said it was a big risk for the team and also for the player. So, we explained it to Onazi that we cannot do that. I have to take care of my players’ welfare, that is why I agreed that it is better for him to treat himself than risk the injury. But we were surprised when we saw that he played a game soon after in his club. I told him it is a big risk for him. Like everybody he is part of the team. Some clubs do these injections, but our medical people refused to do that, and I am with them on that.”

On his obvious humility and ability to stay away from scandals, Rohr attributes it to education and upbringing. “I had a wonderful father and seven siblings. So I learnt to share and be accommodating. He was a teacher and also a coach. He told us that the first thing you must have in life is humility to be able to share and to respect other people.

“I was born after the Second World War when life was not easy, but we learnt to adapt to situations.”

On his relationship with the NFF, especially on welfare issues, Rohr said Nigeria has been a good employer, adding, however, that money is not the most important thing in his relationship with Nigeria.

“In other African countries, I had to wait for some months before the money will come. But I know that when the work is well done the money will come. That was what I tell the players that if the money didn’t come immediately, lets work well first to attract the money.

“Before I came here, I heard so many negative things about the country, but I wanted to find out things myself and draw my own opinion about the country. It is so far positive. My contract has not been respected 100 per cent, but I know it will be respected fully.”

Rohr wants a situation where he will have access to the other national teams to help develop a collective approach to the game, saying he has written to the NFF on that.

“I have proposed to the NFF to have a meeting with the coaches of the junior teams so that we can talk and have one philosophy for all the teams. I think the board will grant our demand.

“We had a good relationship with the CHAN team because Yusuf Salisu, my assistant, was its coach. Imama is also in my team and I hope he will be in charge of the U-23 team. Sometimes, we have very young players who are not ready for the Super Eagles, so we need a situation where we can send them to the U-23 team or the U-20. We should have a good communication with all the teams.”

Rohr reveals that he plans to play five friendly games before the Nations Cup next year, adding, however, “we want to choose the opponents very well. We will play two games in March, one being the last qualifier against Seychelles.

“We have to go to teams to speak with the players, their coaches and scouts. We want to see the results of the tests they did on our players and know the approach we should adopt for every individual player.”
https://guardian.ng/sport/with-first-ha ... us-encore/
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

Rohr: Super Eagles Job, Most Challenging in My Coaching Career
November 26, 2018 1:34 am0

From a humble begining as the Head Coach of Super Eagles two years ago, the journey so far has taken Gernot Rohr to an enviable record as the first tactician to have qualified the senior national team to two major tournaments; Russia 2018 World Cup and next year’s African Cup of Nations in Cameroon, with a game in hand. Femi Solaja was at the ‘Peak Breakfast interview’ session organised by HS Media Group on behalf of Friesland Campina for Rohr. The gaffer spoke on the good, the bad and the ugly side of his journey with the national team so far. Excerpt…

Before you took the job in Nigeria, you must have been privy to this notorious belief that we have this tendency of owing both local and foreign coaches. What convinced you to take the job especially when you were not the only coach pencilled down for the post?

I don’t like to speak about money, I was not afraid to take the job. First, I was free and I’m guide by this personal philosophy of getting a job well done and hoping that the financial reward will come at the appropriate time. It was a bit risky but fortunately the officials (NFF) always pay the cash flow at the appropriate time and the result till date shows that we never had players’ revolt over unpaid allowances and same thing applies to me.

Many pundits see you as a very humble coach with several working experience. Which of your past and present jobs appears most challenging so far in your career?

My coaching career has been full of ups and downs right from time as club coach with the likes of Bordeaux when the club was going down and eventually relegated and the battle to return was a fierce one. I have players like Didier Deschamp, Lizarazu and so on and I had to bring the club from relegation to the elite division and same thing with Nice. However, my biggest challenge as national team coach is thw Super Eagles job in Nigeria. Here, I met a team that was yet to play at a major tournament after missing out at two African Cup of Nations tournaments and we were grouped to play in one of the toughest groups in the World Cup qualifying series and as we would have it, we found ourselves in the Group of Death again in Russia. However, the challenges are not over now as we prepare to go to the Nations Cup next year Cameroon.

Going to the World Cup last summer, your team was adjudged one of the youngest in the pool and we seem to be going on the same trend going to the Nations Cup next year in Cameroon. Do you think the team is too young to win AFCON 2019?

I don’t agree that when you have a young team, you are at disadvantage but I must tell that we have learnt a lot from the World Cup especially in the match against Argentina when we conceded a late goal and it was same mistake against South Africa last week. We will continue to work on that so we hold on any form of slim advantage. Because of this, our team is still open to a lot of changes especially in the defense and midfield. We will still try other players using the last qualifying match against Seychelles and also exploit the FIFA Windows to ensure that we maximize all our potentials going to the Nations Cup next year in Cameroon.

What was going through your mind when two legitimate goals were disallowed in South Africa and why did you play Samuel Kalu on the right side of the defence?

First I could not judged the legitimacy of the goals from the position I was during the match and it was from the play-back on television that I knew that we were denied legitimate goals. However, the referees are human too and this explains why Visual Assistant Referee (VAR) will help a lot during crucial goal decisions. But you must now that Ahmed Musa may have been too fast with the pace for the assistant referee to pick the offside call. Although our intension was to win the match and top the group, the result still put Nigeria in front foot, hence we must ensure that we win the last match at home to place too after the series. As for your second question, I saw Kalu play in that role for Bordood. They bought him for €8million and play that role very well and was a replacement for Simon Moses whom unfortunately was injured before the World Cup and we have to draft Kalu into his position. He is a good striker but at the same time a good defender with a lot of pace. He can defend on the lines and at same run the flank. This explains why we are playing 3-5-2 which was the role Victor Moses played against Iceland at the World Cup it requires a lot of commitment. What this means is that in different match tactics we have different players.

From your response, it seems you are quick to allow the mistake in South Africa to go unnoticed may be because the result had no negative impact to the progress of the team but at the last World Cup finals in Russia, you criticised the referee for denial of a second penalty for Nigeria against Argentina in the last group match. How do we reconcile this especially the complexity in the application of the rules of the game?

Point of correction, I was only bitter internally and not outward as a result of the match especially as regards the denial of the second penalty kick. Everybody saw that it was a handball and a similar way the world champion, France got similar opportunity and it was given. Don’t forget there are undercover influences when a situation like this arise on the field. Even in the communication rooms, it’s possible they influence him not to give the second penalty and don’t forget there are lots of Argentine fans in the stadium just as big players like Messi, Aguero trying to influence the match officials. However it is unprofessional to speak against the referee’s decision because it comes to hunt you again and they are human too. But I’m happy with the reaction of my players after the World Cup exit. We have played four games and achieved positive results including the match in Liberia where we played with their President George Weah on the pitch just two days after our match in Seychelles

You mentioned Victor Moses and even justified his attributes. What is the situation with him and would you say you have finally replaced the captain of the team John Mikel Obi?

The situation with Mikel Obi was that after the World Cup, he wanted to take a break from the national team and he told me that when he is motivated again he will return and don’t forget that he had some injuries. So we remain on this position for now but looking back, Mikel Obi is a fantastic player and his potentials as a leader is really working well for the team. The assistant captain Ahmed Musa is good too with different mentality at organising the team on the field and even after Musa we have William Troost Ekong and things are really working well for the team. As for Victor Moses, he told me but I was surprise after the World Cup that he insisted he wants to concentrate on his club football. I tried to convince him but to no avail and I guess he wants to regain his position but with the way things are now the door is open for him to return and I am hoping that he would have sorted himself out in the next transfer window.

After over two years now, if you want to evaluate the team what percentage will you rate Eagles now?

As at the last World Cup finals we were at 60 percent but as at last week in South Africa the team had attained 70 percent but there is still a lot of work to do in all the departments.

We have to find replacement where necessary especially in the goalkeeping and defence. In the attack, I’m happy that Ighalo has regained his striking form and we are looking forward to competition from other players. However one thing we must understand with the team is that in the past we have star players like Okocha, Kanu and the rest but not it’s an assemblage of average players that has transformed into formidable team.

You spoke about Odion Ighalo but his club has been relegated in China does it mean anything to you and secondly it appears you do not give a damn to local players?

I love local players, I love local people and it’s on record that since I became the Super Eagles coach, I have used 20 home based players from the local league for my matches. However, when you invite a player from the local league today and in the next few months he has eloped to Europe for greener pasture what do you do in that situation? Although it’s good for them to ply their trade else where but let me inform you that the activities of most of the football agents is not helping us with the invitation. All they want a platform for these players to get a good pay job outside the country for their selfish reason!

At the same time the quality of the players also depend on the competitiveness of the league. When you play a season for just few months how do we get to know the quality of the players and don’t forget that the domestic league lacked standard infrastructure with no good playing turf and the financial motivation is not encouraging as well. On Ighalo, he has been an unfortunate player since the match against Argentina. Remember he came in as substitute for Iheanacho and because of the missed chances fans were against him. Ighalo was not the reason why we lost to Argentina but a collective responsibility of the team. Everybody is happy now that he is scoring for the national but I think he will look for a top division team when the Chinese season reopens next year.

You were heavily critised for not making late substitutions in the match against Argentina and thus allowed the South Americans to come back from the dead just like it happened to the team at USA ’94 when we could not sustain the lone goal lead against Italy. What are the take away from these two scenarios?

The talks about late substitutes would not have come up if we had won the match or at most kicked out Argentina from the World Cup. At half time we made one change out of mandatory three. I wanted to bring in Alex Iwobi for Ahmed Musa in the 70th I discussed with the bench and we agreed but in the stand we also have match readers who kicked against the change because Musa was giving the Argentines a lot of problems and they are afraid and that I should wait and sometimes you concede to arguments but it was a regret and next time I will not wait before I take such a crucial decision.

What style of football has Gernot Rohr introduced into our football?

We play collective football with the aim to reach the goal at shortest possible means. What the World Cup as taught us is that possession football is not the best. We attach and defend together instead of passing game that consumes a lot of energy. Everybody must participate and the ability to use the wings with several fast players in the pool now. We have strikers that can dribble and it must be to the advantage of the team.

Where will you consider the real home of Super Eagles between Uyo and Asaba and perhaps any other ground that we have used since you came to Nigeria?

The players love to play on good grass. Asaba pitch is new and we told the ground men what they need to do because the ball was not bouncing properly but the Governor and the people of Asaba are nice to us and it was a good thing that the team travelled round the country. However, I think the players like Uyo where they had played and won several matches and it’s a modern stadium while Asaba was a refurbished arena. But aside whether which one is better it will be good for the team to travel round and finally return to Abuja where the grass are not in existence.

Would you be willing to work with coach Salisu Yusuf again when the ban on him is lifted?

Yes I can understand the decision of the NFF which is in force and if they decide to bring him back after the expiration of his suspension I have no choice but to accept it. But personally I’ve had good relationship with Salisu but he has been caught in the trap and he was a bit naive and he is paying for the mistake(s). But in life anybody can make mistake and if the tide changes its okay by me but it’s the decision of the officials that is important.

How true is it that you lost your wallet and phones at the Stadium during the AIETO Cup final match in Asaba recently?

Oh, before the Asaba episode, I lost my wallet and phone at Agege stadium. A lot of people and I’m in the crowd I lost it and again at the cup final, my wallet disappeared again (laugh) but I’m getting used to the syndrome, I hold my pocket well when next I’m in such situation.

As the coach of team what was the missing link that after the tie against Algeria in the last World Cup qualifying match FIFA annulled the 1-1 scoreline and awards the match to Algeria because we fielded an ineligible player. How do we guide against this as we move on?

Yes NFF has to learn more administratively because a mail was sent in that regard but somebody failed to do his work. But on our part (team) I was not in-charge in the qualifying match against Swaziland before the group stage and it was unfortunate that NFF lost track on the record before I came in. It would have been disastrous if the outcome of the match have reflected on our position leading to possible elimination. I know that the NFF have learnt a lot from the lapses and it won’t happen again.

Going into the AFCON 2019, do you think Nigeria can win the tournament or what is your target and which team did you dread most not to come against?

It is the dream of every team at the competition to win the title, but it will not make much of a sense to make a promise because other teams are also in the tournament to win.

We have good chances to get to the semi-final at the 2019 AFCON,but we can’t be sure to win, it’s a young team, we should be realistic but once we reach the semi-final then winning the title is no longer far from us. I am that Zambia did not qualify for the tournament because they are one of the strongest team in the continent. I also wish I don’t get to meet Cameroon until may be the final match.

Finally at the heat of the crisis in Nigeria football what was running in your mind or what was your experience like?

Honestly, it was the ugly side of my stay so far in the country. After the World Cup I was supposed to submit my report and at the same time draw the plan for the next competition(s) but the episodes of seige at the Glasshouse today and secretariat retaken the next day was was not a pleasant moments for me. I got worse when FIFA ban was looming and at a time I got assurance from NFF boss that the matter would soon be resolved and it was good that my worst fear did not come to past.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2 ... ng-career/
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.