PINNICK SIGNS ANOTHER BAD DEAL WITH NIKE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PINNICK SIGNS ANOTHER BAD DEAL WITH NIKE

Post by fabio »

Four years ago, Pinnick went cap in hand to Nike.

Four years later, Nike came cap in hand to Pinnick with an “improved contract” worth 2 million dollars.

Nike subjects Pinnick to an integrity test.

Pinnick passes the integrity test and proud about it.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Please allow me to add, people often forget Nike is one of the top brands out there, a lot of the reported sales are due to the power of Nike's brand. Would we have sold as many units if it was Kappa? I don't think so. Of course we bought the units because we are Nigerians first and foremost, but the claimed sales were helped considerably by it being Nigerian and Nike. We cannot ignore relevant little details like this in such negotiations.

I am also wary of making categoric conclusions about the deal on the basis of a reported, but yet to be confirmed sales of 3 million units. If indeed the reported sales are confirmed by Nike to be correct, it is a one off, which may or may not be repeated.

Although, it gives us leverage in the negotiations, I do not agree, it is such a standalone factor that warrants us getting similar deals to the other top footballing nations.

Given your very relevant points, plus when one analyses from a superficial context, it indeed looks like a poor deal. However, we are not furnished with the details, consequently, it makes it difficult and unfair to make any sort of definitive conclusion on this matter.
Enugu II wrote:Negotiation is between two parties. What I have brought up are absolutely what Nike may present as the keys to a deal and they will understate the 3 million sales as a one-time deal based on the work of their own staff. What is important, however, from our own end is to present the 3 million + sales (an incredible figure) which can be presented as scratching the surface and as assured beyond a one-time occurrence. The point is that with more African berths to the World Cup, Nigeria's visibility at the WC is likely to be consistent going forward. Importantly, Nigeria's hand could also be strengthened if it has what is generally regarded as a BATNA (Best Negotiated deal outside the current deal). In my opinion, my fair prediction is a deal much more than $2 million a year but not as much as France is currently getting.
JACKAL wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Now that Pinnick has revealed important financial information on the deal it is safe to state that the deal is poor. While it is an improvement over the last deal, I expected much more per year. I certainly do not expect a French type of deal to be clear and for several reasons. While Nigeria may have sold out 3 million shirts, there are issues including unenforced copyright issues, risks with probable FIFA bans , etc that may make it unreasonable to expect the same type of deal. That is my tuppence.
All those issues you mentioned are relevant but not enough to derail them from signing the best deal in the world. Every country has its own peculiar issues, and they still sign massive deals. China has biggest copywrite issues and they still signed a $14M deal.. they are the master of ripping of others copywrites. FIFA threatens to ban everyone, its not that big an issue.

The integrity thing is a laughable in my opinion. Its actually racist if you think about it. They didn't ask the English to take one even though their coaches were caught taking money, they didn't ask the French to take one even though they were caught talking about institutionally discriminating against black kids looking to play in their countries and their leaders like Platini implicated in corrupt practices.. Not the Chinese, not any of the Europeans, no one but the Black folks.

NIke has been after Nigeria to sign a new deal since the last WC to sign a new deal..and somehow they still manage to talk them into an intergrity test. Our people are just crazy and so incompetent. This is not about corruption, it about the competency of the people running the show.

If I was handling this deal, Here are the things I would have done:

Refuse to deal with that woman representing NIKE: She has no power to make a big deal
Invite the CEO of NIKE to come down to Nigeria to visit the country. If he doesnt come , we dont do business with them. If he comes that means we are importnt to their overall buisines.
Hire a company with experience of negotiating these types of deals and tell them to talk to anyone who wants our business.
Give them one mission: go out and sign the richest deal in Soccer for a powerful football nation who can sell merchandise.

Can you imagine how many jerseys NIKE would have sold if they had enough merchandise in stock for the run up to the WC. They sold 3 Million in 3 minutes... They could easily have sold up 10 million units if they had enough stock.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

A very cynical position to take on such a matter. However, given our history, a perfectly understandable position to take. It still does not follow that you are correct or being fair to make such a conclusion. It cannot right to tar everyone and everything with the same brush, especially when you have nothing to back up your assertions.
pajimoh wrote:E2, this is nothing but a black man/black nation deal. Regardless of what criteria you might want to use, Pinnick and the NFF got taken to the cleaners yet again.
I was afraid of this from the initial deal they signed. It was a "desperado" deal and Nike made the NFF feel they had not choice, so much so that even Pinnick was their mouth piece, just to save face.

I can bet my life there are no professional negotiator working for the NFF. They think they can go and just fleece money out of seasoned thieves like Nike?

Pinnick should have gotten a Western company to negotiate the deal on their behalf even for a cut. Let's be honest, 2m is peanuts but it's a lot of money compared to the initial deal and that is enough to persuade that f00lish egghead.
Enugu II wrote:Negotiation is between two parties. What I have brought up are absolutely what Nike may present as the keys to a deal and they will understate the 3 million sales as a one-time deal based on the work of their own staff. What is important, however, from our own end is to present the 3 million + sales (an incredible figure) which can be presented as scratching the surface and as assured beyond a one-time occurrence. The point is that with more African berths to the World Cup, Nigeria's visibility at the WC is likely to be consistent going forward. Importantly, Nigeria's hand could also be strengthened if it has what is generally regarded as a BATNA (Best Negotiated deal outside the current deal). In my opinion, my fair prediction is a deal much more than $2 million a year but not as much as France is currently getting.
JACKAL wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Now that Pinnick has revealed important financial information on the deal it is safe to state that the deal is poor. While it is an improvement over the last deal, I expected much more per year. I certainly do not expect a French type of deal to be clear and for several reasons. While Nigeria may have sold out 3 million shirts, there are issues including unenforced copyright issues, risks with probable FIFA bans , etc that may make it unreasonable to expect the same type of deal. That is my tuppence.
All those issues you mentioned are relevant but not enough to derail them from signing the best deal in the world. Every country has its own peculiar issues, and they still sign massive deals. China has biggest copywrite issues and they still signed a $14M deal.. they are the master of ripping of others copywrites. FIFA threatens to ban everyone, its not that big an issue.

The integrity thing is a laughable in my opinion. Its actually racist if you think about it. They didn't ask the English to take one even though their coaches were caught taking money, they didn't ask the French to take one even though they were caught talking about institutionally discriminating against black kids looking to play in their countries and their leaders like Platini implicated in corrupt practices.. Not the Chinese, not any of the Europeans, no one but the Black folks.

NIke has been after Nigeria to sign a new deal since the last WC to sign a new deal..and somehow they still manage to talk them into an intergrity test. Our people are just crazy and so incompetent. This is not about corruption, it about the competency of the people running the show.

If I was handling this deal, Here are the things I would have done:

Refuse to deal with that woman representing NIKE: She has no power to make a big deal
Invite the CEO of NIKE to come down to Nigeria to visit the country. If he doesnt come , we dont do business with them. If he comes that means we are importnt to their overall buisines.
Hire a company with experience of negotiating these types of deals and tell them to talk to anyone who wants our business.
Give them one mission: go out and sign the richest deal in Soccer for a powerful football nation who can sell merchandise.

Can you imagine how many jerseys NIKE would have sold if they had enough merchandise in stock for the run up to the WC. They sold 3 Million in 3 minutes... They could easily have sold up 10 million units if they had enough stock.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Waffiman wrote:Please allow me to add, people often forget Nike is one of the top brands out there, a lot of the reported sales are due to the power of Nike's brand. Would we have sold as many units if it was Kappa? I don't think so. Of course we bought the units because we are Nigerians first and foremost, but the claimed sales were helped considerably by it being Nigerian and Nike. We cannot ignore relevant little details like this in such negotiations.

I am also wary of making categoric conclusions about the deal on the basis of a reported, but yet to be confirmed sales of 3 million units. If indeed the reported sales are confirmed by Nike to be correct, it is a one off, which may or may not be repeated.

Although, it gives us leverage in the negotiations, I do not agree, it is such a standalone factor that warrants us getting similar deals to the other top footballing nations.

Given your very relevant points, plus when one analyses from a superficial context, it indeed looks like a poor deal. However, we are not furnished with the details, consequently, it makes it difficult and unfair to make any sort of definitive conclusion on this matter.

You are wasting your time. As the original article said, and confirmed by pinnick in the tweet below, the audited accounts of the NFF that were supposed to contain details of this contract were released before the end of last year. Someone with a brain who truly cared about this matter would educate themselves on the details of the deal, compare it to similarly situated countries and then make fact based criticisms of the deal, but nooooo.. its better to come on an online forum and bray like a castrated donkey. People are seriously, with a straight face equating the negotiating power of Nigeria with France. And expect to be taken seriously :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

EII,

What do you think about this piece of news on Nike …. ? What do you now think of their integrity test ??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... spartanntp
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

JACKAL wrote:EII,

What do you think about this piece of news on Nike …. ? What do you now think of their integrity test ??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... spartanntp
All sports companies are doing this.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Bump
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?