PINNICK SIGNS ANOTHER BAD DEAL WITH NIKE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
Re: PINNICK SIGNS ANOTHER BAD DEAL WITH NIKE

Post by JACKAL »

He also said Nike also put them through an "Integrity test"

Our people are soo stupid !! Nike is one of the most corrupt corporations in the world and they are they ones putting you through an integrity test !! FIFA itself lost most of its entire leadership when the FBI went after them and a lot of their leaders are in jail for massive world wide corruption !! Yet no single Nigerian was arrested or implicated in that all episode. And these are the people Judging US ??? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We are just not ready fro prime time. We don't understand the world around us. We think we are the only corrupt ones and we are so bad we should be punished. Its one big joke. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did it ever occur to them that Nike put them through that integrity test to disarm them and put them in a position where they are doubting themselves and chipping away at their confidence and use it to lower their confidence and bargaining power. These are commonly used tactics in business..

I want you all to keep in mind these are the same type of people negotiating your oil deals, mineral deals, every diplomatic deal on behalf of your nation. Its a shame.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

txj wrote:
How much is the deal?
$2 million dollars.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Pinnick is either on the take or he's got no clue on how to negotiate and I suspect both. This was my worry that this egghead will be outflanked just as he was during the initial deal. The fact that he was Nike's mouthpiece, trying to sell why we should be grateful for that rubbish he signed.

He's now thinking 2m is a lot from 0m. He's a proper cvnt if that is what he signed. Nike probably made more money off Nigeria this WC than from any other nations.

No, f3ck Pinnick and 1Naira.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

fabio wrote:
txj wrote:
How much is the deal?
$2 million dollars.
Fabio, even if he meant to say $2M a year..its a bad, bad deal
Even if its $2M a year plus royalties of 10%...its still a very bad deal...

Anything less than what France is getting is a terrible, terrible deal.

People need to understand this stuff is about selling Merchandise, not about how saintly and non-corrupt you are …. If you have the most sales, you should get the biggest money !!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

JACKAL wrote:He also said Nike also put them through an "Integrity test"

Our people are soo stupid !! Nike is one of the most corrupt corporations in the world and they are they ones putting you through an integrity test !! FIFA itself lost most of its entire leadership when the FBI went after them and a lot of their leaders are in jail for massive world wide corruption !! Yet no single Nigerian was arrested or implicated in that all episode. And these are the people Judging US ??? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We are just not ready fro prime time. We don't understand the world around us. We think we are the only corrupt ones and we are so bad we should be punished. Its one big joke. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did it ever occur to them that Nike put them through that integrity test to disarm them and put them in a position where they are doubting themselves and chipping away at their confidence and use it to lower their confidence and bargaining power. These are commonly used tactics in business..

I want you all to keep in mind these are the same type of people negotiating your oil deals, mineral deals, every diplomatic deal on behalf of your nation. Its a shame.

Meanwhile you are in some oversea nation content with paying their taxes and developing their nation with your labor while your old neighborhood/high school in Nigeria rots
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I refuse to believe that anyone who has a specific interest in a particular subject can be this ignorant!

I simply refuse to accept this!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If this is true then Pinnick is just a natural dullard. How dare you negotiate a paltry $2million even if it’s a year for a team that sold out 3 million copies and had the best wc Jersey
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:

I refuse to believe that anyone who has a specific interest in a particular subject can be this ignorant!

What I refuse to accept is you not explain what your mean by "Purchasing Power" :mrgreen:
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

jette1 wrote:

Meanwhile you are in some oversea nation content with paying their taxes and developing their nation with your labor while your old neighborhood/high school in Nigeria rots
My old high school is doing very well.. ! And I actually have been donating money for years to both my high school and college...

What else you got Brother Man !! ???
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

JACKAL wrote:
txj wrote:

What I refuse to accept is you not explain what your mean by "Purchasing Power" :mrgreen:

A person who doesn't know what that means perhaps should not have the rights to be a member of, let alone be able to open a thread in an English speaking public forum...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Now that Pinnick has revealed important financial information on the deal it is safe to state that the deal is poor. While it is an improvement over the last deal, I expected much more per year. I certainly do not expect a French type of deal to be clear and for several reasons. While Nigeria may have sold out 3 million shirts, there are issues including unenforced copyright issues, risks with probable FIFA bans , etc that may make it unreasonable to expect the same type of deal. That is my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:
JACKAL wrote:
txj wrote:

A person who doesn't know what that means perhaps should not have the rights to be a member of, let alone be able to open a thread in an English speaking public forum...
tell us what it mean in context of what we are discussing. You wrote it, explain it !! stop passing the buck.. take some responsibility.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Enugu II wrote:Now that Pinnick has revealed important financial information on the deal it is safe to state that the deal is poor. While it is an improvement over the last deal, I expected much more per year. I certainly do not expect a French type of deal to be clear and for several reasons. While Nigeria may have sold out 3 million shirts, there are issues including unenforced copyright issues, risks with probable FIFA bans , etc that may make it unreasonable to expect the same type of deal. That is my tuppence.
All those issues you mentioned are relevant but not enough to derail them from signing the best deal in the world. Every country has its own peculiar issues, and they still sign massive deals. China has biggest copywrite issues and they still signed a $14M deal.. they are the master of ripping of others copywrites. FIFA threatens to ban everyone, its not that big an issue.

The integrity thing is a laughable in my opinion. Its actually racist if you think about it. They didn't ask the English to take one even though their coaches were caught taking money, they didn't ask the French to take one even though they were caught talking about institutionally discriminating against black kids looking to play in their countries and their leaders like Platini implicated in corrupt practices.. Not the Chinese, not any of the Europeans, no one but the Black folks.

NIke has been after Nigeria to sign a new deal since the last WC to sign a new deal..and somehow they still manage to talk them into an intergrity test. Our people are just crazy and so incompetent. This is not about corruption, it about the competency of the people running the show.

If I was handling this deal, Here are the things I would have done:

Refuse to deal with that woman representing NIKE: She has no power to make a big deal
Invite the CEO of NIKE to come down to Nigeria to visit the country. If he doesnt come , we dont do business with them. If he comes that means we are importnt to their overall buisines.
Hire a company with experience of negotiating these types of deals and tell them to talk to anyone who wants our business.
Give them one mission: go out and sign the richest deal in Soccer for a powerful football nation who can sell merchandise.

Can you imagine how many jerseys NIKE would have sold if they had enough merchandise in stock for the run up to the WC. They sold 3 Million in 3 minutes... They could easily have sold up 10 million units if they had enough stock.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

JACKAL wrote:
jette1 wrote:

My old high school is doing very well.. ! And I actually have been donating money for years to both my high school and college...

ol boi the point is; it's not enough to sit abroad and point at all the misgivings. Lets start heading home and be ready to face the inconveniences at home in order to fix the broken place. As you rightly stated as underlined - you have answered your own question if you expect miracle from these people.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Negotiation is between two parties. What I have brought up are absolutely what Nike may present as the keys to a deal and they will understate the 3 million sales as a one-time deal based on the work of their own staff. What is important, however, from our own end is to present the 3 million + sales (an incredible figure) which can be presented as scratching the surface and as assured beyond a one-time occurrence. The point is that with more African berths to the World Cup, Nigeria's visibility at the WC is likely to be consistent going forward. Importantly, Nigeria's hand could also be strengthened if it has what is generally regarded as a BATNA (Best Negotiated deal outside the current deal). In my opinion, my fair prediction is a deal much more than $2 million a year but not as much as France is currently getting.
JACKAL wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Now that Pinnick has revealed important financial information on the deal it is safe to state that the deal is poor. While it is an improvement over the last deal, I expected much more per year. I certainly do not expect a French type of deal to be clear and for several reasons. While Nigeria may have sold out 3 million shirts, there are issues including unenforced copyright issues, risks with probable FIFA bans , etc that may make it unreasonable to expect the same type of deal. That is my tuppence.
All those issues you mentioned are relevant but not enough to derail them from signing the best deal in the world. Every country has its own peculiar issues, and they still sign massive deals. China has biggest copywrite issues and they still signed a $14M deal.. they are the master of ripping of others copywrites. FIFA threatens to ban everyone, its not that big an issue.

The integrity thing is a laughable in my opinion. Its actually racist if you think about it. They didn't ask the English to take one even though their coaches were caught taking money, they didn't ask the French to take one even though they were caught talking about institutionally discriminating against black kids looking to play in their countries and their leaders like Platini implicated in corrupt practices.. Not the Chinese, not any of the Europeans, no one but the Black folks.

NIke has been after Nigeria to sign a new deal since the last WC to sign a new deal..and somehow they still manage to talk them into an intergrity test. Our people are just crazy and so incompetent. This is not about corruption, it about the competency of the people running the show.

Refuse to deal with that woman representing NIKE: She has no power to make a big deal
Invite the CEO of NIKE to come down to Nigeria to visit the country. If he doesnt come , we dont do business with them. If he comes that means we are importnt to their overall buisines.
Hire a company with experience of negotiating these types of deals and tell them to talk to anyone who wants our business.
Give them one mission: go out and sign the richest deal in Soccer for a powerful football nation who can sell merchandise.

Can you imagine how many jerseys NIKE would have sold if they had enough merchandise in stock for the run up to the WC. They sold 3 Million in 3 minutes... They could easily have sold up 10 million units if they had enough stock.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Somewhat muted response from those who were defending the deal and asking for the figures.

If it was signed by the sports minister, the whole press and certain stakeholders in CE will have gone overdrive by now.

Prejudice or corruption?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

E2, this is nothing but a black man/black nation deal. Regardless of what criteria you might want to use, Pinnick and the NFF got taken to the cleaners yet again.
I was afraid of this from the initial deal they signed. It was a "desperado" deal and Nike made the NFF feel they had not choice, so much so that even Pinnick was their mouth piece, just to save face.

I can bet my life there are no professional negotiator working for the NFF. They think they can go and just fleece money out of seasoned thieves like Nike?

Pinnick should have gotten a Western company to negotiate the deal on their behalf even for a cut. Let's be honest, 2m is peanuts but it's a lot of money compared to the initial deal and that is enough to persuade that f00lish egghead.
Enugu II wrote:Negotiation is between two parties. What I have brought up are absolutely what Nike may present as the keys to a deal and they will understate the 3 million sales as a one-time deal based on the work of their own staff. What is important, however, from our own end is to present the 3 million + sales (an incredible figure) which can be presented as scratching the surface and as assured beyond a one-time occurrence. The point is that with more African berths to the World Cup, Nigeria's visibility at the WC is likely to be consistent going forward. Importantly, Nigeria's hand could also be strengthened if it has what is generally regarded as a BATNA (Best Negotiated deal outside the current deal). In my opinion, my fair prediction is a deal much more than $2 million a year but not as much as France is currently getting.
JACKAL wrote:

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

jette1 wrote:
JACKAL wrote:
jette1 wrote:

ol boi the point is; it's not enough to sit abroad and point at all the misgivings. Lets start heading home and be ready to face the inconveniences at home in order to fix the broken place. As you rightly stated as underlined - you have answered your own question if you expect miracle from these people.
Please stop your nonsense if you have nothing to contribute. Do you know how many people have headed home with good intentions, as if Nigeria is looking for a few good men?. Why don't you make the trip and tell us about it?

Nigeria is not a place where well intended people are welcome. Those who hold on to power do not have best intentions for the nation. Go and try, no point in explaining. Experience is the best teacher.......
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:
JACKAL wrote:
txj wrote:

TXJ,

You know I am still waiting for you to tell us the meaning of "Purchasing power".
You know you can google it. Just cut and paste the definition if you don't know it off your head. You cant keep us waiting like this... its very unfair !!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

fabio wrote:Somewhat muted response from those who were defending the deal and asking for the figures.

If it was signed by the sports minister, the whole press and certain stakeholders in CE will have gone overdrive by now.

Prejudice or corruption?
As they should.
Some people just don't know when dem package sontin. You are here wondering who buys these "Naijarian Prince" stories...
I can bet you that Pinnick even exaggerated the amount involved in the sponsorship.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EII,

I do not know that it is necessarily a poor deal without information on the context of the negotiations and the facts behind the data on Nigeria.

To buttress ur point above, in my experience on international development work, the reality is Nigeria typically has very little or no negotiating leverage. The view from the outside never ever conforms with reality on the inside.

But I do share Cellular's sentiment that using a professional representative, one of a high level, often helps ameliorate these entrenched systemic weaknesses.

JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:

EII,

I do not know that it is necessarily a poor deal without information on the context of the negotiations and the facts behind the data on Nigeria.

To buttress ur point above, in my experience on international development work, the reality is Nigeria typically has very little or no negotiating leverage. The view from the outside never ever conforms with reality on the inside.

But I do share Cellular's sentiment that using a professional representative, one of a high level, often helps ameliorate these entrenched systemic weaknesses.
TXJ,

You have already been banned from writing into any of my threads until you explain what you mean by "purchasing power".

Now I am going to have to double BAN you for this ridiculous addition you just wrote. Nigeria has no leverage ???? :scared: :scared:

What exactly is your experience in "International development" that tells you Nigeria has no leverage ?? Clearly your experience is not in "International Business" .

Read the highlighted parts below and tell me again why I shouldn't triple ban you.

Nigerian FA hails new Nike deal ‘best ever for an African nation’
Improved contract runs through to 2026 Fifa World Cup and includes women’s team.

Posted: November 21 2018By: Sam Carp
Nigerian FA hails new Nike deal ‘best ever for an African nation’
Getty Images

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has announced a long-term extension of its partnership with Nike.

The new deal will initially run for four years, but an automatic renewal clause will take the collaboration through to the end of the 2026 Fifa World Cup, meaning the US sportswear giant will supply kit to Nigeria’s national soccer team for the next two editions of the international tournament.

The financial terms of the agreement, which has been expanded to include Nigeria’s women’s team, have not been confirmed, but NFF president Amaju Pinnick described it as an “improved contract”.

The extension prolongs a collaboration that dates back to April 2015 when Nike replaced sportswear rival Adidas as Nigeria’s official kit supplier. The company kitted out the men’s national side at this year’s World Cup in Russia, where Nigeria narrowly missed out on qualifying for the knockout rounds.

Nigeria Football Federation rides with the Simba Group

"This four plus four deal is the best any African country has ever had with Nike," said Pinnick, speaking to members of the media. "I can say it is about a hundred percent better than anything else.”

Adding: “A few months after we came on board for our first term in office, I was told that we needed to buy jerseys for the national team to play a football match. That was how bad it was, because the kit sponsor at that time terminated the contract.

“So, I made contacts with some highly connected persons and worked hard to convince Nike to come on board. We were coming from a weak position but they made the agreement flexible for us.

"We are happy we teamed up with Nike because after we qualified and participated at the FIFA World Cup in Russia, the company was the one chasing us for a new improved contract,"

Shehu Dikki, the NFF’s vice president and head of marketing, added: “We are very happy because this new agreement comes with good money on an annual basis, more supplies, improved qualification bonus for our teams, door-to-door delivery of kits, royalty for the NFF on jerseys sold and it has now been expanded to include our women national teams.”

Nigeria’s Nike World Cup strip earned rave reviews in various quarters, winning the London Design Award and ranking highest in international men’s magazine GQ’s list of the best kits of the 32 teams in Russia. The NFF also said the kit received three million pre-orders before its release.

Tina Salminen, Nike’s regional sports marketing director for Africa, added: “[The World Cup kit] has remained a source of reference in Nike meetings and events ever since.

“Nigeria is one of the big teams in world football and we are happy to get them to sign a long-term contract.”
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nige ... -extension