Nigerian League to have 28 teams...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigerian League to have 28 teams...

Post by Bell »

PROMOTION/RELEGATION IS A RELIC

It should be done away with for the improvement and long-term health of Nigerian football. If you want to bring in private owners to pledge huge funds - facilities, uniforms, personnel, etc - they do their long-term financial projection and then you relegate their club, how are they going to recover their cost? American leagues (including the MLS) prosper without this old concept and I believe Nigerian soccer can also.

BTW, I also support a limited number of teams, say 16 to maintain standards and business viability. Lagos is quite capable of accommodating two (or thee) teams. If this leaves out some states, so be it. States that do not have a top league team should be considered for a lower tier team.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria is giant in a different way: diversity and economics. For the average Nigerian, asking them to leave e.g. Port Harcourt to travel to watch their team play an away game in Kano is as seismic as asking a fan down in Florida to fly to Seattle to watch their team play there.
Eaglezbeak wrote: The NFL is only that way to accommodate travelling fans as the country is ginormous where as Nigeria is as big as Texas.Maybe the NPL needs a change of management!
IT'S TRUE NIGERIANS DON'T FOLLOW TEAMS AWAY MAINLY BECAUSE...

...the concept of marketing is totally foreign to the league. Nigeria is not the big country that people think and a commercial aircraft can reach the farthest two points within 90 minutes. To have fans traveling to away matches would require a quality league that is calendar-predictable, personnel-stable and secure. Then the league can undertake intense and constant marketing and facilitate transportation. For example, bus caravans can be arranged between nearby cities, say, PH and Enugu, Kano and Kaduna or Jos and Abuja. For longer distances, the arrangement should be with airlines. This would take time to mature. But they can start now. Unfortunately, I'm not holding breath because creativity is something that people rarely think about.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:PROMOTION/RELEGATION IS A RELIC

It should be done away with for the improvement and long-term health of Nigerian football. If you want to bring in private owners to pledge huge funds - facilities, uniforms, personnel, etc - they do their long-term financial projection and then you relegate their club, how are they going to recover their cost? American leagues (including the MLS) prosper without this old concept and I believe Nigerian soccer can also.

BTW, I also support a limited number of teams, say 16 to maintain standards and business viability. Lagos is quite capable of accommodating two (or thee) teams. If this leaves out some states, so be it. States that do not have a top league team should be considered for a lower tier team.
Bell
Bell,

I like the concept that you express here but we are so tied to the European leagues that doing away with relegation would be like heresy. I do not really see why relegation and promotion is that important, TBH especially if the league is business focused. You mention about concerns that states would be left out. Wy should it matter? If the league is truly business-like and there are only privately-owned clubs instead of state-owned, then the politics of giving states teams should be an afterthought. Owners will simply locate their teams where they feel they can make money.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:
Bell wrote:PROMOTION/RELEGATION IS A RELIC

Bell
Bell,

I like the concept that you express here but we are so tied to the European leagues that doing away with relegation would be like heresy. I do not really see why relegation and promotion is that important, TBH especially if the league is business focused. You mention about concerns that states would be left out. Wy should it matter? If the league is truly business-like and there are only privately-owned clubs instead of state-owned, then the politics of giving states teams should be an afterthought. Owners will simply locate their teams where they feel they can make money.
enuguii, I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY THAT...

...since it would be a business one-per-state politics shouldn't be a factor, not when private people are risking their own capital. I only brought it up knowing the Nigerian environment where everyone thinks if one state gets it, other states should similarly get it. Also, we've seen governors who think this way and would want to use heavy handed methods to achieve it. As for relegation/promotion, when private people come together and create such a league, they just need to educate people and urge them to get used to it, pointing out, if necessary, that America leagues that have never practiced this concept are not suffering as a result of it.
Bell