GERNOT ROHR on Late Substitutions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
GERNOT ROHR on Late Substitutions

Post by Enugu II »

Why I Don’t Make Early Substitutions Even When We Are Losing – Super Eagles Coach Rohr Reveals
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/11/27/wh ... r-reveals/
November 27, 20180583

One of the thing most Nigerians have complained about the coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is his decision to delay his substitutions especially when it’s clear that the team need something different.

Rohr is most times guilty of waiting till few minutes to the end of games before making substitutions even when the team is losing and some players are not living up to their quality.

The coach was asked about why he always take time to make substitutions and he revealed he normally consults his assistants before deciding on who should be taken off and who will come on as replacement.

He pointed out to the game against Argentina at the Russia 2018 World Cup, where he wanted to take off Ahmed Musa and bring on Alex Iwobi but he was persuaded by his assistants to leave Musa on the pitch because the Argentines were scared of his pace.

“Against Argentina at the World Cup, I wanted to bring in Iwobi for Musa, but my assistants, who were upstairs analysing the game, advised against that”, the coach said.

“They told me that the Argentine defenders were afraid of Musa and changing him would be counterproductive, so I waited. Perhaps, I should have gone ahead to effect the change.

“We change according to situations and also, we know that something can happen to change the dynamics of a game, like a red card to the goalkeeper happening when you have already made all the changes. That means you cannot bring another goalkeeper and would be forced to play without a goalkeeper.”
Here is actual data on Rohr's timing of his substitutions:

https://www.aclsports.com/gernot-rohrs- ... r-fiction/
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GERNOT ROHR on Late Substitutions

Post by metalalloy »

Hmm where/when was this quote said?
“We change according to situations and also, we know that something can happen to change the dynamics of a game, like a red card to the goalkeeper happening when you have already made all the changes. That means you cannot bring another goalkeeper and would be forced to play without a goalkeeper.”
I would take this owngoal "article" with a grain of salt. The other quotes in this "article" are from Rohr's statements in the peak milk roundtable posted this past weekend. Rohr responded to a specific question that highlighted Nigeria's history of conceding late goals (cited Italy), and asked why we did not run down the clock against Argentina in this past world cup. It was not a general question about his substitution policy, and Rohr did not provide any clarity as to "why he does not make early substitutions even when we are losing."
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: GERNOT ROHR on Late Substitutions

Post by ohenhen1 »

Aghawonder was Nigeria super sub. Roger Milla was another super sub.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx