Rohr opens old sore; "Why we lost to Argentina"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg
Rohr opens old sore; "Why we lost to Argentina"

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

http://www.dailyadvent.com/index.php/20 ... world-cup/

“You know with modern gadgets, we can communicate with even those not on the bench.

I wanted to pull out Ahmed Musa for Alex Iwobi after 75 minutes because he was obviously tired, but two or three other crewmembers on the upper terrace advised against that, saying Musa’s presence was causing panics in the Argentine defence.

“By that time, we had made only one halftime substitution when Odion Ighalo came in for Kelechi Iheanacho in the attack.

The players got carried away, instead of defending, they wanted to beat the Argentines for the first time in the World Cup.” 

The coach explained that the lesson had been learnt and that explained why the Super Eagles opted for defensive strategy in the latter part of last Saturday’s match with South Africa in Johannesburg.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr opens old sore; "Why we lost to Argentina"

Post by kajifu »

This stupid German coach if he cant win ANC he should leave.SE should have top that group.Argentina was technically the weak team in that group.This team could have been in the final and likely win it.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:http://www.dailyadvent.com/index.php/20 ... world-cup/

“You know with modern gadgets, we can communicate with even those not on the bench.

I wanted to pull out Ahmed Musa for Alex Iwobi after 75 minutes because he was obviously tired, but two or three other crewmembers on the upper terrace advised against that, saying Musa’s presence was causing panics in the Argentine defence.

“By that time, we had made only one halftime substitution when Odion Ighalo came in for Kelechi Iheanacho in the attack.

The players got carried away, instead of defending, they wanted to beat the Argentines for the first time in the World Cup.” 

The coach explained that the lesson had been learnt and that explained why the Super Eagles opted for defensive strategy in the latter part of last Saturday’s match with South Africa in Johannesburg.
:source:
abeg na who wounded you before if i may ask ?
the above is infact a wrong redact from what he actually said on breakfast with rohr.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

To be fair to Rohr, before that he said that the team was young and foolish to attack Argentina in the dying minutes. But they have matured and managed the SA game better.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

kajifu wrote:This stupid German coach if he cant win ANC he should leave.SE should have top that group.Argentina was technically the weak team in that group.This team could have been in the final and likely win it.
What are you on? Do you really believe that comment? :huh:
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

We lost to Argentina because Victor Moses was ball-watching and allowed Rogo to come from his back and slam the Volley.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Adisboy wrote:
kajifu wrote:This stupid German coach if he cant win ANC he should leave.SE should have top that group.Argentina was technically the weak team in that group.This team could have been in the final and likely win it.
What are you on? Do you really believe that comment? :huh:
Kajifufu is the Trump of CE. He says the same about Arsenal every year.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ok.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Eaglezbeak wrote:

Ok.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:http://www.dailyadvent.com/index.php/20 ... world-cup/

I hate this. The buck stops with you. Your team, your selection, your tactics. You got beat. The end.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

All they were doing was giving the ball back to the argentines and putting more pressure on the defense! I cant remember us attacking them.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

The players got carried away, instead of defending, they wanted to beat the Argentines for the first time in the World Cup.” ...

This is a sad reflection. Is Rohr saying the players didn't know that a draw was enough for qualification or the technical crew know that as well... They went to learn anyway.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Anyone who watched the game knows this is not true. Infact I have never seen a more frightened set of super eagles. Rohr really put an inferiority complex in them by making them believe they were not good enough and only there to learn.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Who is he trying to fool, he himself promised a win in the pre match presser he was trying to go for a win it’s why he didn’t make defensive changes even when we were under the cosh.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote:The players got carried away, instead of defending, they wanted to beat the Argentines for the first time in the World Cup.” ...

This is a sad reflection. Is Rohr saying the players didn't know that a draw was enough for qualification or the technical crew know that as well... They went to learn anyway.
Is it really unheard of for sportsmen to get carried away in the heat of a game?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

In a game where he left Echiejille, Shehu, Joel, Onazi, Ogu, Awaziem and Ebuehi on the bench? Guess what they all have in common? He should stop this nonsense abeg the game exposed him!!

Our Midfield needed support and Idowu was dropping too deep as it wore down, the only meaningful change he made was at HT with Ighalo coming on, only the lord knows what he was thinking to not bring on one of these guys.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sunset wrote:In a game where he left Echiejille, Shehu, Joel, Onazi, Ogu, Awaziem and Ebuehi on the bench? Guess what they all have in common? He should stop this nonsense abeg the game exposed him!!

Our Midfield needed support and Idowu was dropping too deep as it wore down, the only meaningful change he made was at HT with Ighalo coming on, only the lord knows what he was thinking to not bring on one of these guys.
Our failure in the game came down to, first, not taking our chances and then poor game management, starting with him.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Musa was not the change to be made.

Yes u can tell from the stands he was the only one "making" things happen. He should not have been even considered for the change. When we saw Iwobi warming up, we were all wondering what in the world was happening because we knew he wasn't going to come in for a midfielder.

The first mistake in that game was Ighalo replacing Kelechi. That sub should have been Iwobi.

There were three very obviously tired players to us watching from the stands....Moses was EXHAUSTED, Ndidi and Etebo had ran ALL game and were tired as well. Me and my guys were saying those are key members that you cant change. But in hindsight Moses should have been substituted. His tiredness led directly to the goal we conceded. He let Rojo run past him. In the first 60 mins no way that happens. I know everyone hates Idowu but the man was doing exactly what he needed to do when Argentina had the ball. He definitely was not one of the tired ones.

So yea, Rohr has to eat the blame on this. But its not because he didn't take off Musa.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Ugbowo wrote:Musa was not the change to be made.

Yes u can tell from the stands he was the only one "making" things happen. He should not have been even considered for the change. When we saw Iwobi warming up, we were all wondering what in the world was happening because we knew he wasn't going to come in for a midfielder.

The first mistake in that game was Ighalo replacing Kelechi. That sub should have been Iwobi.

There were three very obviously tired players to us watching from the stands....Moses was EXHAUSTED, Ndidi and Etebo had ran ALL game and were tired as well. Me and my guys were saying those are key members that you cant change. But in hindsight Moses should have been substituted. His tiredness led directly to the goal we conceded. He let Rojo run past him. In the first 60 mins no way that happens. I know everyone hates Idowu but the man was doing exactly what he needed to do when Argentina had the ball. He definitely was not one of the tired ones.

So yea, Rohr has to eat the blame on this. But its not because he didn't take off Musa.
:agree: :agree:
We noticed that weakness in Rohr all through the WCQualifiers...reluctance to make crucial subs when it was obvious...
We got away with it in the Africa qualifiers and against Iceland, but paid against a poor Argentina who yet possessed players capable of producing moments of brilliance...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:Musa was not the change to be made.

Watched the game a few times since the WC, and esp the Croatia game.

I understand the questions being raised about subs and GR is notorious wrt this, but for me, the issue with this match was more a question of inexperience in game management...

To be caught on the counter in a game that we did not need to score any more to win, is about inexperience in game management.
Last edited by txj on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
:agree: :agree:
We noticed that weakness in Rohr all through the WCQualifiers...reluctance to make crucial subs when it was obvious...
We got away with it in the Africa qualifiers and against Iceland, but paid against a poor Argentina who yet possessed players capable of producing moments of brilliance...
No. Don't you know that he led an unbeaten campaign, conceded few goals etc....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria lost that game because:

1) They sat too deep and invited pressure from Argentina.

2) The ref bottled it and could not bring himself to award 2/3 penalties against Argentina. He decided that Rojo knocking the ball away with his arm in the penalty area is no longer a penalty, and that the same Rojo kicking Iheanacho in the head in the penalty area is not a penalty either.

3) During that last 15-20 minutes against Idowu was being run ragged and was clearly gassed. Rohr should have taken off Idowu for a fresh player. He did not, so Argentina kept relentlessly attacking down Nigeria's left side, and eventually scored from a cross that came over from the left back position where Idowu was supposed to be.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Take responsibility for your inaction, clown!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.