Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Post by Enugu II »

The real deal wrote:Exactly my point. Most of the love for Pele was cos of what commentators said about pele not what folks have seen. I willl be surprised If there's anyone thats seen 2 full Pele matches. Some never even saw 10 Zidane games............
In my life time, NO ONE, NO ONE comes close to Messi.
His assists too are out of this world
The real deal,

You make various points that have to be questioned. Here are few of the questions that come to mind:

1. If Messi is so challenged by the ECL and La Liga that he gets tired by the WC, how come that did not apply to Ronaldo The Phenomenon or to Ronaldinho, for starters? Or does it only occur with Messi? Messi is a great player but he must be judged also by his ability to lead his national team.

2. Barcelona is a team made of great players for the Spanish national team in the main. Is it possible that their presence is a huge contributory factor to Messi's greatest? Maradona did not have that type of support at Napoli and yet he made Napoli great. Maradona excelled with Argentina. Pele made Santos and had extreme success with Brazil.

3. To claim that because technique and all around play have improved and therefore great players of today should be considered better than players of previous era is a bit disingenuous. The reality is that an all time great player is based on how a player dominates HIS ERA. Pele did it, Maradona did it, and Messi has done it. However, each of those can be compared by the degree of their domination against competitors. This is where Messi's inability to lead at the NT level calls his domination to question. I do not believe that those in Argentina even consider him to be their best all time player let alone him being considered the best all time in the world. What is unquestioned is that he is the best in THIS ERA.

4. While you talk about technique improving, one wonders whether Messi could have been successful in previous era when crunching tackles were largely allowed by the refereeing. I state this because of Messi's physical build. He could have been eaten for lunch in a previous era when vicious tackles were ignored and diving hardly existed.

One thing that I can state is that if the argument was limited to the best goalscorer at the club level, all time, Messi certainly is likely to be a major candidate for #1 along with Ronaldo of Portugal. But all time all around greatest players, I have my doubts. There is no denying the importance of NT performance at the zenith of all competitions -- the World Cup. That has to matter.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Enugu II wrote:
The real deal wrote:Exactly my point. Most of the love for Pele was cos of what commentators said about pele not what folks have seen. I willl be surprised If there's anyone thats seen 2 full Pele matches. Some never even saw 10 Zidane games............
The real deal,

You make various points that have to be questioned. Here are few of the questions that come to mind:

1. If Messi is so challenged by the ECL and La Liga that he gets tired by the WC, how come that did not apply to Ronaldo The Phenomenon or to Ronaldinho, for starters? Or does it only occur with Messi? Messi is a great player but he must be judged also by his ability to lead his national team.

2. Barcelona is a team made of great players for the Spanish national team in the main. Is it possible that their presence is a huge contributory factor to Messi's greatest? Maradona did not have that type of support at Napoli and yet he made Napoli great. Maradona excelled with Argentina. Pele made Santos and had extreme success with Brazil.

3. To claim that because technique and all around play have improved and therefore great players of today should be considered better than players of previous era is a bit disingenuous. The reality is that an all time great player is based on how a player dominates HIS ERA. Pele did it, Maradona did it, and Messi has done it. However, each of those can be compared by the degree of their domination against competitors. This is where Messi's inability to lead at the NT level calls his domination to question. I do not believe that those in Argentina even consider him to be their best all time player let alone him being considered the best all time in the world. What is unquestioned is that he is the best in THIS ERA.

4. While you talk about technique improving, one wonders whether Messi could have been successful in previous era when crunching tackles were largely allowed by the refereeing. I state this because of Messi's physical build. He could have been eaten for lunch in a previous era when vicious tackles were ignored and diving hardly existed.

One thing that I can state is that if the argument was limited to the best goalscorer at the club level, all time, Messi certainly is likely to be a major candidate for #1 along with Ronaldo of Portugal. But all time all around greatest players, I have my doubts. There is no denying the importance of NT performance at the zenith of all competitions -- the World Cup. That has to matter.
Per the underlined . Even at the club level Mess's dominance is questionable.

All said and done Barca have only won the CL twice during the Messi Era since 2005 despite the galaxy of stars that have lined up alongside him. His dominance is limited to La Liga but even there has been no significant uptick to Barcelona's rate of winning La-Liga with Messi on board . Barca were actually more dominant in the early 90's if La-Liga is anything to go by
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Mazi, nno! Tis impossible for the young and ignorant to truly appreciate the majesty of Pele, a privelege reserved for the ndichie and respected elders. Perhaps Cyberia’s respected ohseegenarians, adequately snuffed, could derail stories of their earliest Pele memories. Mazi, what was it like for a 20 year old, watching Pele in ‘58?
0gfe10
Egg
Egg

Post by 0gfe10 »

BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The real deal,

All said and done Barca have only won the CL twice during the Messi Era since 2005 despite the galaxy of stars that have lined up alongside him. His dominance is limited to La Liga but even there has been no significant uptick to Barcelona's rate of winning La-Liga with Messi on board . Barca were actually more dominant in the early 90's if La-Liga is anything to go by
What are you talking about? Since 05/06 season Barcelona have won the UCL 3 times with Messi being the major player in all 3..
Barcelona have also won the LA liga 7 times since the 05/06 season.

Do you know how many la liga titles Barcelona won in the 90s? 6 la liga titles and just 1 UCL title.. Where do you get you stats from? :taunt:
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

I hate to compare players. No one could doubt the MAJESTY of Pele even if you only listened to commentators alone.
No one on this forum watched many 90 mins of Pele I know that. I have seen messi physically and I know and played the game.
The man is a GENIUS. He has an ability @ least 3 times the best player you ever saw on any part of the pitch. people talk about goals, I will talk about ASSISTS only
Go watch his assists. Then watch how he changes the dynamics on any part of the pitch with 2 touches........ We will miss this Gem once he hangs his boots
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

0gfe10 wrote:
BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The real deal,

What are you talking about? Since 05/06 season Barcelona have won the UCL 3 times with Messi being the major player in all 3..

Do you know how many la liga titles Barcelona won in the 90s? 6 la liga titles and just 1 UCL title.. Where do you get you stats from? :taunt:
He didn’t play in the 05/06 final and he was still under the tutelage of the likes of Ronaldinho at the time so that wouldn’t quite be considered the Messi era . Since then they have only one twice in 12 attempts which would be only 1 more than they did in the 90's

As for the 90s they won 6 out of 10 La Ligas however in the Messi era they have won 7 out of 13 so by simple law of averages can you say that Barca wouldn’t have been dominant without Messi ? afterall they were even more dominant in the 90s weren’t they

So the question isn’t where I got my stats from but apparently your ability to interprete stats
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Coach wrote:@Mazi, nno! Tis impossible for the young and ignorant to truly appreciate the majesty of Pele, a privelege reserved for the ndichie and respected elders. Perhaps Cyberia’s respected ohseegenarians, adequately snuffed, could derail stories of their earliest Pele memories. Mazi, what was it like for a 20 year old, watching Pele in ‘58?
:D
Chief Coachito, I was not 20 in 1958. :lol: Your subtle yet sharp attempts at barbed irony fail because we both live in a world of profuse media today. If you have the time--and perhaps the money--you too can know what it is like watching the Pele of 1958. As I said, entire games of the 1958 World Cup are available on Youtube (or were the last time I searched).
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

The real deal wrote:I hate to compare players. No one could doubt the MAJESTY of Pele even if you only listened to commentators alone.
No one on this forum watched many 90 mins of Pele I know that. I have seen messi physically and I know and played the game.
The man is a GENIUS. He has an ability @ least 3 times the best player you ever saw on any part of the pitch. people talk about goals, I will talk about ASSISTS only
Go watch his assists. Then watch how he changes the dynamics on any part of the pitch with 2 touches........ We will miss this Gem once he hangs his boots
Chief, now I know I should have quit this debate with you several posts ago.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Mazi, nno! Age is wasted on the youth, for those of us, so young are big sisters are still playing with Barbies, can you spare a page from those memoirs, 80 Years watching International Football. When is the book being published? May your cup runneth over.

One doesn’t feel at liberty to debate the capabilities of Pele and Messi, having barely been a teenager when the latter made his debut and decades from now existence, as far as the former be concerned. Pele is very much the stuff of legend and indeed, one has looked upon those pixelated recordings, new age eyes straining at the absence of HD, and concluded, somewhere amidst the grainy footage, was a true genius of the fine art.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Jokes aside, Pele’s consistency at all levels and success on the greatest stage leaves him forever incumbent at the top of the pops. Different eras, different generations, arguably, an entirely different game, can two eras so far removed, be afforded zero weighting, when comparative analyses of their greatest talents is performed? The beautiful game has changed considerably, the demands on the players etc etc. Pele was light years ahead of his era, just as Messi is his. Extraterrestrials, the likes of which will never be seen again.
0gfe10
Egg
Egg

Post by 0gfe10 »

BAP wrote:
0gfe10 wrote:
BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The real deal,

He didn’t play in the 05/06 final and he was still under the tutelage of the likes of Ronaldinho at the time so that wouldn’t quite be considered the Messi era . Since then they have only one twice in 12 attempts which would be only 1 more than they did in the 90's

As for the 90s they won 6 out of 10 La Ligas however in the Messi era they have won 7 out of 13 so by simple law of averages can you say that Barca wouldn’t have been dominant without Messi ? afterall they were even more dominant in the 90s weren’t they

So the question isn’t where I got my stats from but apparently your ability to interprete stats
My friend stop embarrassing yourself. I used the word "since" 05/06 season.. Barcelona have won 3 UCL titles with Messi playing the major role , 4 if you include the 05/06 season.

2014-15 Barcelona Juventus 3-1
2010-11 Barcelona Manchester United 3-1
2008-09 Barcelona Manchester United 2-0
2005-06 Barcelona Arsenal 2-1
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

A player who has done the following:

Won the U-20 WC

Won the Olympics

Lost 3 Copa America finals (at least one on pens)

Lost a World Cup final (where he was the competitions best player)

Scored 81 goals for his Country at all levels

Is considered a failure for his Country? People sha....I was having a conversation about great players with some dude at work the other day and mentioned Roberto Baggio, the only thing dude had to say was is that not the guy who missed the decisive pen for Italy in 1994? I just shook my head and walked away....
To God be the glory
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

0gfe10 wrote:
BAP wrote:
0gfe10 wrote:
BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The real deal,

My friend stop embarrassing yourself. I used the word "since" 05/06 season.. Barcelona have won 3 UCL titles with Messi playing the major role , 4 if you include the 05/06 season.

2014-15 Barcelona Juventus 3-1
2010-11 Barcelona Manchester United 3-1
2008-09 Barcelona Manchester United 2-0
2005-06 Barcelona Arsenal 2-1
Ok so they won 3/12 instead of 2/12 ..whuptidoo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Does that change the fundamental premise of the argument ?

By contrast Madrid has won 4 times in the same span
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Messi’s greatest failure, from a Cyberian perspective, is his lack of melanocytes. Were he of deeper hue, with an -ofor or -oluwa in there, and he’s not just the GOAT but the whole bloomin’ herd. Nevertheless, genius.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

joplass wrote:Messi is not even better than CR7. Dude is great within the Barca framework, other than that :boo:

ouch
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

ANC wrote:
joplass wrote:Messi is not even better than CR7. Dude is great within the Barca framework, other than that :boo:

ouch
Hmm perhaps there is some truth in that. Ronaldo has won 5 CLs if I am not mistaken

1 with Man United
4 with Real Madrid

He has won the Euros with Portugal. There is some challenge to be made. Is Messi truly the greatest in this era?
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cristao II wrote:
ANC wrote:

ouch
Hmm perhaps there is some truth in that. Ronaldo has won 5 CLs if I am not mistaken

1 with Man United
4 with Real Madrid

He has won the Euros with Portugal. There is some challenge to be made. Is Messi truly the greatest in this era?
KPOM people over look at Messi record at Barca and forget that Ronaldo has match him pound for pound,5CL,5 World best player same as Messi, been on top his game for about 14 years counting.Do it in England,Spain and now Italy,do it at National team level.So is he really the greatest in his era?I ask this because people always point to his Barca record then I saw Spain with 2/3 of Barca player won euro back to back and world cup.Messi benefited a lot playing with one of the best in the game ,Inniesta and Xavi,since those two decline Barca has not even got to semi in CL for about 4 season straight.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Skylolo wrote:A player who has done the following:

Won the U-20 WC

Won the Olympics

Lost 3 Copa America finals (at least one on pens)

Lost a World Cup final (where he was the competitions best player)

Scored 81 goals for his Country at all levels

Is considered a failure for his Country? People sha....I was having a conversation about great players with some dude at work the other day and mentioned Roberto Baggio, the only thing dude had to say was is that not the guy who missed the decisive pen for Italy in 1994? I just shook my head and walked away....
How much you rate Roberto Baggio?How great was he in your opinion?
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Who os greater Pele or Messi?

Post by paj »

The real deal wrote:World cup of today has taken 5 notches down IMHO. The biggest stars of Pele years were National team players . The WC had the best standard in those years.
Which competition has the best quality today? Uefa Champions league or WC?
By the time today's players play 38 weeks league, weekly training, preseason, qualifiers for nations cup, WC .....the demands of today is light years ahead of those years
It was not that heavy in the pele years.
Father....forgive him for the opaks he's yanning...
...I laff...the one wey sport science help these players? Do you know under which conditions Pele's era played? Tackles were more brutal and usually overlooked and there was no horse placenta or magic spray....if dem shoot ball and e hit U one time na next week U go wake from the coma...the turfs were rought, the jerseys and hoses were heavier, yet these players did things that are STILL being tried today...players taking longer time to travel to distances to play..some at war time...my guy..abeg put the laptop down :sneaky:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

paj wrote:
The real deal wrote:World cup of today has taken 5 notches down IMHO. The biggest stars of Pele years were National team players . The WC had the best standard in those years.
By the time today's players play 38 weeks league, weekly training, preseason, qualifiers for nations cup, WC .....the demands of today is light years ahead of those years
...I laff...the one wey sport science help these players? Do you know under which conditions Pele's era played? Tackles were more brutal and usually overlooked and there was no horse placenta or magic spray....if dem shoot ball and e hit U one time na next week U go wake from the coma...the turfs were rought, the jerseys and hoses were heavier, yet these players did things that are STILL being tried today...players taking longer time to travel to distances to play..some at war time...my guy..abeg put the laptop down :sneaky:

Tell me 5 of 90 minutes of Pele games you have ever watched
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

The real deal wrote:
paj wrote:

Tell me 5 of 90 minutes of Pele games you have ever watched
This is like trying to argue that Einstein aint isht just because there were no apps during his time...
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

paj wrote:
There was also more time wasting allowed. You could literally back pass to the keeper all day and the keeper was allowed to use his hands off a back pass . Meaning actual playing time was shorter which gives different meaning to goals per game averages.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

PaJ
Seriously, do not DODGE the question, tell me 5 90 minutes game of Pele that you've ever watched