Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Post by ohsee »

The real deal wrote:PaJ
Seriously, do not DODGE the question, tell me 5 90 minutes game of Pele that you've ever watched
Brazil v Peru, 1970 WC, Brazil v England, 1970 WC, Brazil v Uruguay, 1970 WC, Santos v River Plate, Copa Libertadores, Brazil v Sweden 1958 WC. Do you want more? Now what does that prove? Now that you have found someone on CE who has watched 5 90 minute games of Pele, do you accept that he is the GOAT of GOATs? I don't think you will because you and I know your demand is a red herring.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

ohsee wrote:
Seriously, do not DODGE the question, tell me 5 90 minutes game of Pele that you've ever watched
Brazil v Peru, 1970 WC, Brazil v England, 1970 WC, Brazil v Uruguay, 1970 WC, Santos v River Plate, Copa Libertadores, Brazil v Sweden 1958 WC. Do you want more? Now what does that prove? Now that you have found someone on CE who has watched 5 90 minute games of Pele, do you accept that he is the GOAT of GOATs? I don't think you will because you and I know your demand is a red herring.

Do no throw tantrum cos of a simple question. The truth is MOST people that says all these stuff about pele have only watched CLIPS.... Pele time was along time ago. Why's it that challenging your position so upsetting. I have seen a few of Pele's games, and he was great but so were so many other players. Here's the deal, there was nothing Pele did that I did not see El fenomeno, Zico do. The Brazilian genre of skill repertoire is unmistakable and in terms of that , Ronaldinho is the BEST with that set of skills that I have ever seen. I have never seen anybody with MESSI set of skill. He dominates the whole pitch.

Most matches you cited are here :clap: :clap: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Very good indeed, but I think players are a lot tougher these days,
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

This is one of those debates that will never end. Messi is god to some people and Pele is the same to others, let's just agree that they both belong to the pantheon of great players.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

The real deal wrote:
ohsee wrote:

Do no throw tantrum cos of a simple question. The truth is MOST people that says all these stuff about pele have only watched CLIPS.... Pele time was along time ago. Why's it that challenging your position so upsetting. I have seen a few of Pele's games, and he was great but so were so many other players. Here's the deal, there was nothing Pele did that I did not see El fenomeno, Zico do. The Brazilian genre of skill repertoire is unmistakable and in terms of that , Ronaldinho is the BEST with that set of skills that I have ever seen. I have never seen anybody with MESSI set of skill. He dominates the whole pitch.

Most matches you cited are here :clap: :clap: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Very good indeed, but I think players are a lot tougher these days,
the real deal, na wa for you o...

So you follow folks dey argue for here, yet you never see any Pele game for 90 mins..?

In short, anyone who claims he avidly follows football, and hasn't stumbled upon a full Pele game, doesn't follow football...
And therefore has no business partaking in any GOAT debate...

(The 1970 WCup Final match Brazil v Italy is available on DVD on Amazon or ebay; there are dozens of Pele games if you know where to look)

FYI, there's only one GOAT...O Rei...The King...deadly with both feet, deadly with the head, deadly with a final pass, deadly with the dummy...

There's a reason Brazil never won the WCup until he came along as a 17yr-old...won it 3 times during his prime...and after he retired, Brazil didn't smell it again for over 2 decades (even with stupendously talented squads)...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The Real Deal

Should we then assume that you are in no position to compare Messi to Pele since perhaps you did not see Pele play? I believe that after reading your post it should be made clear that Messi is the greatest player that you ever saw. There is no problem with that. However, be clear there are others who have watched football for a much longer time and therefore (as you tacitly acknowledge) may have seen players better than Messi.

I am one of those on this site gIf that is the case, then few people on this site that can assume that honor. I not only watched Pele in his later years but watched tons of football before even Messi's parent met each other. Football preceded Messi one must add. Just my tuppence.t
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Enugu II wrote:The Real Deal

Should we then assume that you are in no position to compare Messi to Pele since perhaps you did not see Pele play? I believe that after reading your post it should be made clear that Messi is the greatest player that you ever saw. There is no problem with that. However, be clear there are others who have watched football for a much longer time and therefore (as you tacitly acknowledge) may have seen players better than Messi.

I am one of those on this site gIf that is the case, then few people on this site that can assume that honor. I not only watched Pele in his later years but watched tons of football before even Messi's parent met each other. Football preceded Messi one must add. Just my tuppence.t
I have never seen pele play LIVE. I love football too much, sir. I have seen lots of Pele's matched and had lots of video tapes of his game. Pele IS a personal HERO. Its not even about race. Watching and playing soccer almost prevented me from my father's dream for me. Adamasingba, Liberty, Onikan, MKO Abiola , Natioal Stadium Surulere, Giginya stadium , OAU Ife are some of the stadia I have played. Victor Ezekwesile. Tosin Adebambo, One Jimoh Balogun, Collins Ebitimy (stores) Nasiru (Law student in Ife) Kinsley Oliseh are some of the famous fotballers I trained with in Nigeria back in the days....... I know football is my point. I have seen all Zidane, Gullit to messi....... I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE with MESSI brain as a footballer. I could say I have seen 20 + of Pele's games....different from 12 yrs of Messi always @ the TOP. Most folks have only seen clips. PELE time was a time National teamfootball was the highest quality ard, very different today. Athletes are different and wiser too....
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

The real deal wrote:

I have never seen pele play LIVE. I love football too much, sir. I have seen lots of Pele's matched and had lots of video tapes of his game. Pele IS a personal HERO. Its not even about race. Watching and playing soccer almost prevented me from my father's dream for me. Adamasingba, Liberty, Onikan, MKO Abiola , Natioal Stadium Surulere, Giginya stadium , OAU Ife are some of the stadia I have played. Victor Ezekwesile. Tosin Adebambo, One Jimoh Balogun, Collins Ebitimy (stores) Nasiru (Law student in Ife) Kinsley Oliseh are some of the famous fotballers I trained with in Nigeria back in the days....... I know football is my point. I have seen all Zidane, Gullit to messi....... I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE with MESSI brain as a footballer. I could say I have seen 20 + of Pele's games....different from 12 yrs of Messi always @ the TOP. Most folks have only seen clips. PELE time was a time National teamfootball was the highest quality ard, very different today. Athletes are different and wiser too....
This from the link you posted

Most experts like coaches, players, journalists agree that Pele was the best:
Pele: What experts say about him

People who say that football is better now are always too young and ignorant about reality and history. In Pele’s time the conditions were much tougher, no yellow cards, sending offs were only in extreme situations, pitches were not like todays, ball was heavier, shoes were not as good, no substitutions allowed until 1970, no back-pass rule so game was slower, and the offside was stricter, not allowing play in case a player is not participating like it is done today, with FIFA having changed it in the 90s to promote attacking football and more goals. Those critics also pretend they don’t see how immense Pele was athletically, his air skills, agility, absolute speed, agility, stamina, and the fact that he endured over 1300 career games over 20 years at top level under the world spotlight. Pele often had to play 3-4 games a week and would tour the world with Santos for 2-3 months a year playing over 25 games against the best teams of Europe and other continents.

Pele surpassed all those great Brazilians which says it all. Made it to a star studded world cup squad at 17. Maradona didnt make it in 1978 in an Argentina squad considerably weaker than Brazil 1958.

In Pele’s time the best league in the world was the Brazilian where all the world champions of 1958, 1962 and 1970 played all their career. Very few players went to play in Europe, like Altafini(Mazola) and Amarildo who were benchers for Brazil and surpassed by Pele but became top scorers and legends when they went to play for Juventus and Milan. Very few south americans played in Europe, nothing like today. Pele surpassed all those legends that played for Brazil and played in the combined Brazilian league(Rio-SP championship, and Taca Brasil) where Santos faced the best teams from all Brazil. His goal ratio was the same in any competition he played, friendly, Brazilian leagues, official, World Cup, qualifiers, you name it, which proves that the opposition was never too easy. His worse goal ratio was actually in USA with Cosmos when he was 35-37 years old. That says a lot about his worth. Maradona surpassed who? Valdano and Burruchaga lol. Pele also faced the greatest teams all time, Germany 70s with Beckenbauer, Muller, Netzer, Maier, England 66-70(Moore, Charlton etc), Italy 1968-1970(Euro champions of 68), 60s Inter(who inroduced Catenaccio), Benfica, Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid of Di Stefan, Puskas etc, Barcelona of Kocsis, Czibor and Suarez, etc and many more. Maradona faced teams in the 3rd tier tournament(after the European Cup/UCL and Cup-Winners Cup in Europe (UEFA Cup), when English teams were banned(1985-1990) due to Heysel and his best World Cup game he did it against Belgium, not exactly a football powerhouse. Pele’s best games were against France, hosts and among the best in the world during the 50s Sweden and of course 4-time World Cup winners Italy in 1970.

Pele faced all those greats that Pele haters praise(contradicting themselves!) when they play for Brazil(Garrincha, Didi, Vava, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelino, Jairzinho) and beat them every time. Among Pele's victims is Botafogo (which had Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos, Amarildo, Jairzinho, Zagallo), Santos beat them 4-0 in Copa Libertadores 1963 and also 0-5 in the Brazilian league. Others were Rivelino's Corinthians which didn't beat Santos in a game for 11 years in a row during Pele's time!!! All those Brazilian greats were not even close to matching Pele's dominance at club level.
Santos won that tournament(Taca Brazilian League) 5 times in a row in the 60s, never has happened before or after!

Pele scored 204 goals in 195 games vs European teams, all of them Away games in Santos long Tours around the world, and beat the best defenders and goalkeepers ever: Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Burgnich, Facchetti, Nilton Santos, Elias Figueroa, Banks, Yashin.
Pele's goal ratio was even better vs European teams than vs Brazilian. Maradona’s best goal ratio was vs low division teams in Coppa Italia and in the weaker Argentinian League.
Santos won 2 Copa Libertadores and 2 Club World Cups and would have won more if they had not withdrawn on 3 occasions in the late 60s. Thanks to Pele Santos became one of the best teams of all time and the best of the 60s defeating all the European Champions like Milan, Inter, Benfica. Without him they were nothing before and after. Maradona was never even close to that. In the European Cup/Champions League he was out from the first round, he didn’t do anything.

Maradona failed in all three of his Copa America tournaments, in 1979, 1987, and 1989, the last one held in Argentina. Never even reached a Final! On the other hand, Argentina without Maradona won 2 Copa America (in 1991 and 1993) and the Confederations Cup of 1992. No excuses there, Copa America is not as hard as the World Cup and Argentina have won it more times than even Brazil. 18-year-old Pele was the top scorer and MVP of his only Copa America in 1959, also held in Argentina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_South ... Argentina)

Both Pele and Maradona were Number 10s, second strikers. Pele had as many assists as his goals and if it was that easy to score in his time then why nobody else was even close to Pele's 1280 goals. Pele had as many assists and more goals and assists in World Cups:
Pelé Passing Skills and Assists - VOLUME 1
Pelé 50 Assists
Pele: 12 goals and 10 assists in 14 world cup games
Maradona: 7 goals(the 8th was hand) and 8 assists in 21 world cup games

Pele also has the all-time world record for most official goals(757) and League goals(650).
Maradona could only score a lot in the weak Argentinian League. He scored 2 goals in about 20 European competition games in the 80s and 40% of his goals in Napoli were penalties.(30 of his 88 Serie A goals!) Napoli was not a weak team either, rather a team that relied on defense like most Italian teams. They had many international players like Alemao, Careca, Carnevale, Ferrara. They also faced less competition in Europe since English teams were banned from 1985 to 1990.
INTERESTING FACT: Serie A goal average is practically the same(about 1.9-2.2 goals per game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_Serie_A , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Serie_A) in both Pele's and Maradona's era, but that doesn’t make it the best league does it? In Pele's time the Brazilian League was by far the best, a League whose players won EASILY three World Cups during that period(1958, 1962, 1970)

Maradona disappointed and failed in 3 out of his 4 World Cups, Pele always performed great in the World Cup(1958, 70, 62 and 66 until his injury) scoring in all of them. And don’t use the typical ridiculous argument about who had better teammates, because we are comparing Pele and Maradona’s plays and actions not their teammates. Maradona could not even perform against teams like El Salvador in 1982 World Cup, and in Pele’s time there were no yellow cards and sending offs were rare. The brutal treatment Pele got in 1966 by the Portuguese and Bulgarians has never happened to any player in World Cups. Gentile was really gentle compared to what Morais did to Pele in 1966. So in 1982, Maradona flopped despite playing for the reigning champion team of 1978 next to stars like Kempes, Ardiles, Passarella, Valdano. In 1986 Maradona cheated and Argentina benefited from many more days to adapt to the high altitude of Mexico City than its opponents, and also given more rest days than them. 16 more days to acclimatize compared to England and 2 more days rest before facing them. These are facts. Maradona not even selected in 1978, Pele beat his competitors for a place and was selected in a team that was much better than Argentina’s in 1978. In 1990 Maradona was again a flop, scoreless, missed a crucial penalty, should have been sent off for hand in his goal line vs USSR and completely neutralized in the final. In 1994 he was a joke again, doped.

Brazil won 1962 with Pele injured, but haters don’t like to talk about 1966 when they were humiliated without Pele. In 1962 Brazil was helped by Pele in the first game to beat Mexico(Pele scored and assisted for Brazil to win 2-0) and they had continental advantage since they have never lost a game to European teams in a World Cup in the American continent since 1930 when they lost to Yugoslavia.(only lost by penalties to France in 1986) !!! The only South American team they faced was weak Chile...

It is a myth that Argentina were a weak team in 1986. Many of their players like Pumpido, Brown, Ruggeri won that same year the Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cup with River Plate. Valdano was the striker of Real Madrid and Argentina relied on their defense. In 1982 Maradona failed playing for the reigning champions next to legends like Kempes, Passarella, Ardiles, Luque, Tarantini.

Maradona missed important penalties(UEFA cup Napoli vs Bordeaux and Spartak, v Yugoslavia in 1990 WC). Pele didn’t, his penalties were flawless.

Trying to degrade the Brazilian league is typical ignorant response from people, who at the same time say that Pele’s teammates in the national team were great. Well, all those teammates played in the Brazilian league their whole life.
Maradona fans always use double standard and hypothesis. Never facts.

Maradona's only success came in Napoli. Serie A is a bit overrated, even Verona won that league in the 80s(1985). In Maradona’s first season there(1984-85) Napoli only finished 8th in the League. The previous season they finished 11th, not a big difference. The following years they bought more great players like Careca(second top scorer in 1986 world cup and main striker of Brazil in the 80s). All the rest Maradona's his career was far from impressive. 1 continental title(UEFA Cup 1989) in 21 years career!!! If football is a team sport then people cant say that "Maradona won 1986 world cup alone" and "made weak Napoli champion", because that is contradicting to the "team sport" arguement

In Argentina Maradona only won the Metropolitan League once, in 1981 with Boca Juniors and nothing with Argentinos Jr. So only 1 out of 11 tournaments from 1976 to 1982. The other tournament in Argentina, the Nacional league was of low level since it had about 10 teams from the lower division, 32 in total. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato ... Argentina)
Maradona had his best goal ratio in that low quality tournament. In 1985 Argentinos Juniors won the Copa Libertadores without Maradona, all the years he was there they won nothing. In 1986 River Plate won the same title, and the Intercontinental Cup, same year that Argentina won the World Cup.

In skills Pele was much better, no flaws, and his decision making far superior, full games show that, highlights are misleading. Pele was a much better athlete too and more consistent. Most experts also rate Pele as better than Maradona.

Football is not freestyling. In football the objective is to score goals so you win matches and titles. Maradona fans describe Maradona as a "god", but he had too many flaws in his game for that, Maradona was a great playmaker, but there were many others just as good, even in his era(Zico, Platini) He had great dribbling, but if one checks his solo goals or plays in his career, very few of them were in crucial parts of a game. Pele on the other hand scored and assisted when needed the most.
Maradona’s finishing was far from Pele’s, and it can be seen well in 1982 World Cup where he played in a more advanced position. His heading ability and shot power was average. Messi for example has surpassed him already in that field
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

BAP wrote:
The real deal wrote:

This from the link you posted

Most experts like coaches, players, journalists agree that Pele was the best:
Pele: What experts say about him

People who say that football is better now are always too young and ignorant about reality and history. In Pele’s time the conditions were much tougher, no yellow cards, sending offs were only in extreme situations, pitches were not like todays, ball was heavier, shoes were not as good, no substitutions allowed until 1970, no back-pass rule so game was slower, and the offside was stricter, not allowing play in case a player is not participating like it is done today, with FIFA having changed it in the 90s to promote attacking football and more goals. Those critics also pretend they don’t see how immense Pele was athletically, his air skills, agility, absolute speed, agility, stamina, and the fact that he endured over 1300 career games over 20 years at top level under the world spotlight. Pele often had to play 3-4 games a week and would tour the world with Santos for 2-3 months a year playing over 25 games against the best teams of Europe and other continents.

Pele surpassed all those great Brazilians which says it all. Made it to a star studded world cup squad at 17. Maradona didnt make it in 1978 in an Argentina squad considerably weaker than Brazil 1958.

In Pele’s time the best league in the world was the Brazilian where all the world champions of 1958, 1962 and 1970 played all their career. Very few players went to play in Europe, like Altafini(Mazola) and Amarildo who were benchers for Brazil and surpassed by Pele but became top scorers and legends when they went to play for Juventus and Milan. Very few south americans played in Europe, nothing like today. Pele surpassed all those legends that played for Brazil and played in the combined Brazilian league(Rio-SP championship, and Taca Brasil) where Santos faced the best teams from all Brazil. His goal ratio was the same in any competition he played, friendly, Brazilian leagues, official, World Cup, qualifiers, you name it, which proves that the opposition was never too easy. His worse goal ratio was actually in USA with Cosmos when he was 35-37 years old. That says a lot about his worth. Maradona surpassed who? Valdano and Burruchaga lol. Pele also faced the greatest teams all time, Germany 70s with Beckenbauer, Muller, Netzer, Maier, England 66-70(Moore, Charlton etc), Italy 1968-1970(Euro champions of 68), 60s Inter(who inroduced Catenaccio), Benfica, Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid of Di Stefan, Puskas etc, Barcelona of Kocsis, Czibor and Suarez, etc and many more. Maradona faced teams in the 3rd tier tournament(after the European Cup/UCL and Cup-Winners Cup in Europe (UEFA Cup), when English teams were banned(1985-1990) due to Heysel and his best World Cup game he did it against Belgium, not exactly a football powerhouse. Pele’s best games were against France, hosts and among the best in the world during the 50s Sweden and of course 4-time World Cup winners Italy in 1970.

Pele faced all those greats that Pele haters praise(contradicting themselves!) when they play for Brazil(Garrincha, Didi, Vava, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelino, Jairzinho) and beat them every time. Among Pele's victims is Botafogo (which had Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos, Amarildo, Jairzinho, Zagallo), Santos beat them 4-0 in Copa Libertadores 1963 and also 0-5 in the Brazilian league. Others were Rivelino's Corinthians which didn't beat Santos in a game for 11 years in a row during Pele's time!!! All those Brazilian greats were not even close to matching Pele's dominance at club level.
Santos won that tournament(Taca Brazilian League) 5 times in a row in the 60s, never has happened before or after!

Pele scored 204 goals in 195 games vs European teams, all of them Away games in Santos long Tours around the world, and beat the best defenders and goalkeepers ever: Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Burgnich, Facchetti, Nilton Santos, Elias Figueroa, Banks, Yashin.
Pele's goal ratio was even better vs European teams than vs Brazilian. Maradona’s best goal ratio was vs low division teams in Coppa Italia and in the weaker Argentinian League.
Santos won 2 Copa Libertadores and 2 Club World Cups and would have won more if they had not withdrawn on 3 occasions in the late 60s. Thanks to Pele Santos became one of the best teams of all time and the best of the 60s defeating all the European Champions like Milan, Inter, Benfica. Without him they were nothing before and after. Maradona was never even close to that. In the European Cup/Champions League he was out from the first round, he didn’t do anything.

Maradona failed in all three of his Copa America tournaments, in 1979, 1987, and 1989, the last one held in Argentina. Never even reached a Final! On the other hand, Argentina without Maradona won 2 Copa America (in 1991 and 1993) and the Confederations Cup of 1992. No excuses there, Copa America is not as hard as the World Cup and Argentina have won it more times than even Brazil. 18-year-old Pele was the top scorer and MVP of his only Copa America in 1959, also held in Argentina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_South ... Argentina)

Both Pele and Maradona were Number 10s, second strikers. Pele had as many assists as his goals and if it was that easy to score in his time then why nobody else was even close to Pele's 1280 goals. Pele had as many assists and more goals and assists in World Cups:
Pelé Passing Skills and Assists - VOLUME 1
Pelé 50 Assists
Pele: 12 goals and 10 assists in 14 world cup games
Maradona: 7 goals(the 8th was hand) and 8 assists in 21 world cup games

Pele also has the all-time world record for most official goals(757) and League goals(650).
Maradona could only score a lot in the weak Argentinian League. He scored 2 goals in about 20 European competition games in the 80s and 40% of his goals in Napoli were penalties.(30 of his 88 Serie A goals!) Napoli was not a weak team either, rather a team that relied on defense like most Italian teams. They had many international players like Alemao, Careca, Carnevale, Ferrara. They also faced less competition in Europe since English teams were banned from 1985 to 1990.
INTERESTING FACT: Serie A goal average is practically the same(about 1.9-2.2 goals per game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966%E2%80%9367_Serie_A , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_Serie_A) in both Pele's and Maradona's era, but that doesn’t make it the best league does it? In Pele's time the Brazilian League was by far the best, a League whose players won EASILY three World Cups during that period(1958, 1962, 1970)

Maradona disappointed and failed in 3 out of his 4 World Cups, Pele always performed great in the World Cup(1958, 70, 62 and 66 until his injury) scoring in all of them. And don’t use the typical ridiculous argument about who had better teammates, because we are comparing Pele and Maradona’s plays and actions not their teammates. Maradona could not even perform against teams like El Salvador in 1982 World Cup, and in Pele’s time there were no yellow cards and sending offs were rare. The brutal treatment Pele got in 1966 by the Portuguese and Bulgarians has never happened to any player in World Cups. Gentile was really gentle compared to what Morais did to Pele in 1966. So in 1982, Maradona flopped despite playing for the reigning champion team of 1978 next to stars like Kempes, Ardiles, Passarella, Valdano. In 1986 Maradona cheated and Argentina benefited from many more days to adapt to the high altitude of Mexico City than its opponents, and also given more rest days than them. 16 more days to acclimatize compared to England and 2 more days rest before facing them. These are facts. Maradona not even selected in 1978, Pele beat his competitors for a place and was selected in a team that was much better than Argentina’s in 1978. In 1990 Maradona was again a flop, scoreless, missed a crucial penalty, should have been sent off for hand in his goal line vs USSR and completely neutralized in the final. In 1994 he was a joke again, doped.

Brazil won 1962 with Pele injured, but haters don’t like to talk about 1966 when they were humiliated without Pele. In 1962 Brazil was helped by Pele in the first game to beat Mexico(Pele scored and assisted for Brazil to win 2-0) and they had continental advantage since they have never lost a game to European teams in a World Cup in the American continent since 1930 when they lost to Yugoslavia.(only lost by penalties to France in 1986) !!! The only South American team they faced was weak Chile...

It is a myth that Argentina were a weak team in 1986. Many of their players like Pumpido, Brown, Ruggeri won that same year the Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cup with River Plate. Valdano was the striker of Real Madrid and Argentina relied on their defense. In 1982 Maradona failed playing for the reigning champions next to legends like Kempes, Passarella, Ardiles, Luque, Tarantini.

Maradona missed important penalties(UEFA cup Napoli vs Bordeaux and Spartak, v Yugoslavia in 1990 WC). Pele didn’t, his penalties were flawless.

Trying to degrade the Brazilian league is typical ignorant response from people, who at the same time say that Pele’s teammates in the national team were great. Well, all those teammates played in the Brazilian league their whole life.
Maradona fans always use double standard and hypothesis. Never facts.

Maradona's only success came in Napoli. Serie A is a bit overrated, even Verona won that league in the 80s(1985). In Maradona’s first season there(1984-85) Napoli only finished 8th in the League. The previous season they finished 11th, not a big difference. The following years they bought more great players like Careca(second top scorer in 1986 world cup and main striker of Brazil in the 80s). All the rest Maradona's his career was far from impressive. 1 continental title(UEFA Cup 1989) in 21 years career!!! If football is a team sport then people cant say that "Maradona won 1986 world cup alone" and "made weak Napoli champion", because that is contradicting to the "team sport" arguement

In Argentina Maradona only won the Metropolitan League once, in 1981 with Boca Juniors and nothing with Argentinos Jr. So only 1 out of 11 tournaments from 1976 to 1982. The other tournament in Argentina, the Nacional league was of low level since it had about 10 teams from the lower division, 32 in total. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato ... Argentina)
Maradona had his best goal ratio in that low quality tournament. In 1985 Argentinos Juniors won the Copa Libertadores without Maradona, all the years he was there they won nothing. In 1986 River Plate won the same title, and the Intercontinental Cup, same year that Argentina won the World Cup.

In skills Pele was much better, no flaws, and his decision making far superior, full games show that, highlights are misleading. Pele was a much better athlete too and more consistent. Most experts also rate Pele as better than Maradona.

Football is not freestyling. In football the objective is to score goals so you win matches and titles. Maradona fans describe Maradona as a "god", but he had too many flaws in his game for that, Maradona was a great playmaker, but there were many others just as good, even in his era(Zico, Platini) He had great dribbling, but if one checks his solo goals or plays in his career, very few of them were in crucial parts of a game. Pele on the other hand scored and assisted when needed the most.
Maradona’s finishing was far from Pele’s, and it can be seen well in 1982 World Cup where he played in a more advanced position. His heading ability and shot power was average. Messi for example has surpassed him already in that field
Excellent post BAP. What is missing from that post is that Pele's genius, like that of other geniuses, manifested itself very early. Pele played his first full game for Santos at 16 when the club's top scorer, Del Vecchio was injured. Pele was so outstanding that when Del Vecchio recovered, the coach alternated him with Pele. This is in an era when there were ZERO substitutions--you started the game, you ended the game, whether you were tired or not, whether you were playing badly or not. A coach in a professional league started a 16 year old over a star player in the prime of his career.

And that is not the punch line. The punch line is that playing only half of the league games, Pele, a 16-17 year old boy, scored 35 goals, and was top scorer in his first full season. And for nine consecutive seasons, he was top scorer in the Campeonato Paulista, even in seasons when he was injured. People just don't know, that's why they have the temerity to mention Messi in the same breath as O Rei.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

This is what i see all the time
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

ohsee wrote:Excellent post BAP. What is missing from that post is that Pele's genius, like that of other geniuses, manifested itself very early. Pele played his first full game for Santos at 16 when the club's top scorer, Del Vecchio was injured. Pele was so outstanding that when Del Vecchio recovered, the coach alternated him with Pele. This is in an era when there were ZERO substitutions--you started the game, you ended the game, whether you were tired or not, whether you were playing badly or not. A coach in a professional league started a 16 year old over a star player in the prime of his career.

And that is not the punch line. The punch line is that playing only half of the league games, Pele, a 16-17 year old boy, scored 35 goals, and was top scorer in his first full season. And for nine consecutive seasons, he was top scorer in the Campeonato Paulista, even in seasons when he was injured. People just don't know, that's why they have the temerity to mention Messi in the same breath as O Rei.
Forgive them, for they know not what they know not. I was also relatively ignorant of King Pele's complete story. Growing up, I had an uncle that had a couple of Pele tapes and I knew then he was definitely the greatest player the world had ever known. But I had no clue about the depth of his achievements -- especially the metadata like in your second paragraph above. Maradona was great and I was and remain a big fan because he was the greatest player I saw in real time growing up. But comparing him to Pele with all of these facts and data points reeks of "my father's farm is the biggest" type thinking. As for comparing Messi to him though, that is just downright insulting and requires the intervention of a troika of a priest, a shrink and a lobotomist.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

theDunamis wrote:
ohsee wrote:Excellent post BAP. What is missing from that post is that Pele's genius, like that of other geniuses, manifested itself very early. Pele played his first full game for Santos at 16 when the club's top scorer, Del Vecchio was injured. Pele was so outstanding that when Del Vecchio recovered, the coach alternated him with Pele. This is in an era when there were ZERO substitutions--you started the game, you ended the game, whether you were tired or not, whether you were playing badly or not. A coach in a professional league started a 16 year old over a star player in the prime of his career.

Forgive them, for they know not what they know not. I was also relatively ignorant of King Pele's complete story. Growing up, I had an uncle that had a couple of Pele tapes and I knew then he was definitely the greatest player the world had ever known. But I had no clue about the depth of his achievements -- especially the metadata like in your second paragraph above. Maradona was great and I was and remain a big fan because he was the greatest player I saw in real time growing up. But comparing him to Pele with all of these facts and data points reeks of "my father's farm is the biggest" type thinking. As for comparing Messi to him though, that is just downright insulting and requires the intervention of a troika of a priest, a shrink and a lobotomist.

Couple of tapes?
I Adore Edson Arantes Du Nascimento , Pele....brings joy and tears to watch his games. His balance, composure, skill....amazing!!

Messi is the best there is and the best EVER! Period!

Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

The Black Pearl
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

The real deal wrote:
theDunamis wrote:

Couple of tapes?
I Adore Edson Arantes Du Nascimento , Pele....brings joy and tears to watch his games. His balance, composure, skill....amazing!!

The best ever that can't win a World Cup or COPA.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

where is that One-Wing Messi picture again sef?
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

paj wrote:where is that One-Wing Messi picture again sef?

Image[/quote]
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
The real deal wrote:
theDunamis wrote:

Couple of tapes?

So he's not the BEST in Africa too, going by your logic..... :ohmy: :ohmy: :smile: :smile:

The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
paj wrote:where is that One-Wing Messi picture again sef?

[/quote]

PaJ Don't let me wire you a cyberslap :boo: :boo: :boo: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

The real deal wrote:
:lol: :lol:
"Lionel Messi, the most talented footballer of his generation."
:lol:
Correct assessment. But you did not hear it, did you? :D
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
The real deal wrote:
theDunamis wrote:

Couple of tapes?

Piffington

Are you serious? Messi has not won Copa? Never even thought about that. Geez so what is the basis of comparing him to Pele or Maradona if he could not will a talented Argentina squad of his era to win any of those? Hopefully he does in the next few years or else this debate is just a non-starter.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Nations team competitions are weakened these days. The best footballers in the planet are weakened by time it comes.
National team was the BEST pele era
Club football rules today
How many Continental competition surpasses Bundesliga, LaLiga, EPL, Ligue 1 talkless of Champions league
Does anyone really believe that Modric is the BEST player in the world right now? How w'd he get that without the champions league win?
And messi and CR are not top 3 in the world? Give me a break
Is Weah the best Africa has ever seen cos he never played in the SF of ACN
Answer these questions logically......
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The real deal wrote:Nations team competitions are weakened these days. The best footballers in the planet are weakened by time it comes.
How many Continental competition surpasses Bundesliga, LaLiga, EPL, Ligue 1 talkless of Champions league
Does anyone really believe that Modric is the BEST player in the world right now? How w'd he get that without the champions league win?
Bros

There is nothing weakening national team competition. Yes the club game has improved technically and tactically but the same has happened at the national team level. Which stats demonstrates this claim of weakening?

If it was weakened should we say then that Pele and Maradona dominated in stronger national competitions and Messi has not be able to dominate the weakened ones? Is that the argument?
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Enugu II wrote:
The real deal wrote:Nations team competitions are weakened these days. The best footballers in the planet are weakened by time it comes.
Bros

There is nothing weakening national team competition. Yes the club game has improved technically and tactically but the same has happened at the national team level. Which stats demonstrates this claim of weakening?

If it was weakened should we say then that Pele and Maradona dominated in stronger national competitions and Messi has not be able to dominate the weakened ones? Is that the argument?
Friend, have you played the game ? Its physically taxing. Take your mind tru a typical season; weeks of training, pre-season tourney ( International champions cup here in US).....Charity shield (league winner V Cup winner), 38 week season, puntuated by Nations cup, WCQ, League cup and FA cup...then the BIG one Champions league ( Which has a BETTER QUALITY THAN THE WC!)......On average, its been calculated that the likes of Messi and Cron play a game every 3 days, not to talk of training and travel......... Champions league final ends in May and WC starts in june, preceded by 2-4 weeks of camping.... Seriously, dude, the brain is TIRED by this time. The dynamics of the Pele years, when Telecast of matches were not as widespread, commercialisation and the pressure it brings were 1,000 times less than today.... Its @ a different level today bro
The dynamics, demand, attention and commercial dimensions are so different. That's why any player less than 80 mill today is prob not a star