Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Who is greater Pele or Messi?

Post by Benedict Iroha »

There is a twitter battle going on.

Pele is the greatest.
Last edited by Benedict Iroha on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who os greater Pele or Messi?

Post by camex »

You can not compare apples and oranges. Pele is brazilian, Messi argentinian. Start with Messi/Maradona first.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

camex wrote:You can not compare apples and oranges. Pele is brazilian, Messi argentinian. Start with Messi/Maradona first.
Your reason for not comparing is not a valid one. They are both footballers and nationality has nothing to do with it. Why else do we compare CR7 with Messi?

However I do think comparing the greatest, Pele with one of the greats is sacrilege
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

the one that won 3 world cups, there is nothing messi has done with a football that pele has not done before, pele was an all rounder, both feet, head, no weakness at all!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

pajimoh wrote:
camex wrote:You can not compare apples and oranges. Pele is brazilian, Messi argentinian. Start with Messi/Maradona first.
Your reason for not comparing is not a valid one. They are both footballers and nationality has nothing to do with it. Why else do we compare CR7 with Messi?

However I do think comparing the greatest, Pele with one of the greats is sacrilege
Because none has won the world cup.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

camex wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Because none has won the world cup.
I had a feeling that was what you were getting at but the highlighted bit should not have been there. It's also just coincidence that Messi and Maradona are both Argentinians but their comparison is about football.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

If Pele was quoted accurately about Messi as the current twitter storm suggests, I think its unfortunate...

I believe Pele is better than Messi, but only marginally better...

However his quote suggests Messi is limited; that's b.s. as Messi is one of the most complete footballers ever to play the game...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Oh lord forgive them as they don't know nothing about the game.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Personally I think Messi is more talented and overall complete individually. However, history will remember him for not winning any single World Cup or even Copa America for his country and for those reasons, many will pick Pele. Messi has no excuse not winning a single major trophy for his country expecially with the caliber of players at Argentina disposal in Messi era
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

john12 wrote:Personally I think Messi is more talented and overall complete individually. However, history will remember him for not winning any single World Cup or even Copa America for his country and for those reasons, many will pick Pele. Messi has no excuse not winning a single major trophy for his country expecially with the caliber of players at Argentina disposal in Messi era
:lol: :lol: :lol: Higuain alone denied Messi two major trophies when he missed sitters in front of goal.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Pele was a world cup winner. Messi is not even close
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

even when Ronaldinho was in his prime 2005-2007, i could swear, he was better than Messi!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Kabalega wrote:
john12 wrote:Personally I think Messi is more talented and overall complete individually. However, history will remember him for not winning any single World Cup or even Copa America for his country and for those reasons, many will pick Pele. Messi has no excuse not winning a single major trophy for his country expecially with the caliber of players at Argentina disposal in Messi era
:lol: :lol: :lol: Higuain alone denied Messi two major trophies when he missed sitters in front of goal.
Yeah the same Messi who could not score penalty in Copa America final against Chile and was crying,blame it on Higuaín.
We have seen Zidan win 98 final,we have seen Maradona single hand carry Argentina to high heaven,Pele do it,keep making a excuse for a failure in international football.Messi is just a club footballer,comparing him to Pele is a crime.Ronaldinho at his prime is 10 times better than Messi yet you guys don't get it,you cant even compare Messi best season at his prime to Ronaldinho at his prime.Take Messi out of Barca system he will just be a good player nothing special.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marko wrote:even when Ronaldinho was in his prime 2005-2007, i could swear, he was better than Messi!
You don't need to swear at his prime he was simple what Messi was dreaming to be.Go back to 2003-2007 Ronaldinho was :thumbs: :thumbs: just special.A joy to watch,you get surprise from him every game,his last two season at PSG ,the speed power technic I have never seen in another player
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Truth is I dont even think Messi is better than Okocha talk less of Pele .

Pele was hands down faster, quicker, stronger,more athletic this is not even a contest
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

kajifu wrote:
marko wrote:even when Ronaldinho was in his prime 2005-2007, i could swear, he was better than Messi!
You don't need to swear at his prime he was simple what Messi was dreaming to be.Go back to 2003-2007 Ronaldinho was :thumbs: :thumbs: just special.A joy to watch,you get surprise from him every game,his last two season at PSG ,the speed power technic I have never seen in another player
I agree I would take Ronaldinho and the Real Ronaldo over Messi any day .. would even take Zidane over Messi
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

BAP wrote:
kajifu wrote:
I agree I would take Ronaldinho and the Real Ronaldo over Messi any day .. would even take Zidane over Messi
I think we have to have a way of measuring greatness without using the WC as the major yardstick.
George Weah was one of Africa's great but he didn't even win AFCON but voted worlds best
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

pajimoh wrote:
BAP wrote:
kajifu wrote:
I think we have to have a way of measuring greatness without using the WC as the major yardstick.
George Weah was one of Africa's great but he didn't even win AFCON but voted worlds best
Maybe if his country never qualified for the world cup we would..but since U be Gunner wey no sabi how it feels to hold up trophies I can see how U wan to skew the rules...
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

paj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
BAP wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Maybe if his country never qualified for the world cup we would..but since U be Gunner wey no sabi how it feels to hold up trophies I can see how U wan to skew the rules...
You see ya life, abeg leave the spliff for a few minutes, nip head :taunt: :D :tic: Some rubbish players play in great teams and win the WC. Some great players play in great teams and win the WC, Some great players play in rubbish teams and not even make or win the WC.

I'm sure if we say some of the best players from Africa, Weah would be mentioned, yet Liberia was shait. So if we use trophy like AFCON, as people use WC, then we have to rule him out.

WC, should be considered, but also club career, personal achievement, CL, etc should also be considered.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

PaJimoh,

You fall persin hand ooo!

That comparison of Messi and Weah get as I'm bee, jare.

First, Liberia was at no time considered a force in African football yet Weah inspired then to near WC qualification and then to the AFCON. Those are pretty big. That is what should be considered and he showed everyone that he was capable of putting Liberia on his broad shoulders.

In Messi's case, Argentina regularly is regarded as one of the top nations and he should be perfectly expected to lead them to WC victory as Maradona and Pele did. I can understand if Messi was playing for Nigeria ( :rotf: ) or for Saudi Arabia or even Liberia.

pajimoh wrote:
paj wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
BAP wrote:
kajifu wrote:
You see ya life, abeg leave the spliff for a few minutes, nip head :taunt: :D :tic: Some rubbish players play in great teams and win the WC. Some great players play in great teams and win the WC, Some great players play in rubbish teams and not even make or win the WC.

I'm sure if we say some of the best players from Africa, Weah would be mentioned, yet Liberia was shait. So if we use trophy like AFCON, as people use WC, then we have to rule him out.

WC, should be considered, but also club career, personal achievement, CL, etc should also be considered.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Messi >>>>>>>>>>> Maradona

Messi < Pele
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

1.Pele - The Greatest (On the same level as Muhammad Ali in Boxing, Michael Jordan in basketball, and Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey).
2. Diego Maradona - Best Argentine ever. Better than Messi, better left foot and has won the World Cup.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo - Can play equally effectively at center forward, left wing and right wing. Can score with both feet and is a deadly header of the ball. Famously inspired Portugal to win the last Euros.
4. Messi - Small in stature, but mighty in club achievements. Almost unstoppable cutting in from the right. Negligible goals from headers. Over-dominant left foot. Lack of a World Cup win is an albatross to his undoubted greatness.
5. Zidane - Algerian- made French magician. Made a brilliant turn as manager for good measure.
6. Ronaldinho- The Brazilian wonder
7. George Weah - African power and Football President.
8. Jay Jay Okocha- The Nigerian wizard. Probably didn't realize he was a football god until the tail end of his career.
The rest...George Best, Franz Beckenbauer, Alfredo di Stefano, Lev Yashin, Gordon Banks, Jairzinho, Rivelino all deserve honorable mentions.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Obong wrote:1.Pele - The Greatest (On the same level as Muhammad Ali in Boxing, Michael Jordan in basketball, and Wayne Gretzky in Ice Hockey).
2. Diego Maradona - Best Argentine ever. Better than Messi, better left foot and has won the World Cup.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo - Can play equally effectively at center forward, left wing and right wing. Can score with both feet and is a deadly header of the ball. Famously inspired Portugal to win the last Euros.
4. Messi - Small in stature, but mighty in club achievements. Almost unstoppable cutting in from the right. Negligible goals from headers. Over-dominant left foot. Lack of a World Cup win is an albatross to his undoubted greatness.
5. Zidane - Algerian- made French magician. Made a brilliant turn as manager for good measure.
6. Ronaldinho- The Brazilian wonder
7. George Weah - African power and Football President.
8. Jay Jay Okocha- The Nigerian wizard. Probably didn't realize he was a football god until the tail end of his career.
The rest...George Best, Franz Beckenbauer, Alfredo di Stefano, Lev Yashin, Gordon Banks, Jairzinho, Rivelino all deserve honorable mentions.
You missed Ronaldo -- The Real One :biggrin: