The Greatest African player of all time is...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by john12 »

Bros no one is rubbish get Weah or his achievements but we’re saying that Eto’o was more consistent. They’re both legends but overall etoo had a better career
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Bros no one is rubbish get Weah or his achievements but we’re saying that Eto’o was more consistent. They’re both legends but overall etoo had a better career
And the reason was not because Weah was not good enough. By the way what do you mean more consistent? One came to Europe at about 18years and the other in his mid/late 20sand within such a short time made it to the top even winning the WPOY. The only African to ever win it.

You tried to rubbish it by making those banal comparisons especially when you began to say Cannavaro winning it does not make him better than Baresi or Maldini. You rubbished it with the insinuation that Cannavaro is not better than Henry, strange because WPOY is given in recognition of your total contribution to the game, your ability inclusive. Someone even suggested that the WPOY is biased towards Europeans. If that is not rubbishing the award then I don't know what rubbish means.
In your eyes you may not think you rubbished it, but that
.is exactly what your line of argument implies... It is akin to a racist throwing racial slurs yet bieves he is not racist.

It is not everyone who can win WPOY no matter their ability.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Cannavaro wasn’t better than Maldini or Baresi even with his WPOY and micheal Owen wasn’t better than Henry, berghamp, Totti, Ibrahimovich because he won a baloon d’or and all these aforementioned players didn’t win one. I used your Weah logic to counter an argument
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Cannavaro wasn’t better than Maldini or Baresi even with his WPOY and micheal Owen wasn’t better than Henry, berghamp, Totti, Ibrahimovich because he won a baloon d’or and all these aforementioned players didn’t win one. I used your Weah logic to counter an argument
And you rubbished the WPOY.... You don't need to use my logic. I can tell you on thing Etoo is not better than Weah skill for skill, ability for ability. No you did not counter my logic, you only exposed the disdain you have for the WPOY :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Dean, Nope, I used your logic because you claimed that Weah is African GOAT because he won an WPOY award that no other African won and I gave examples of better players that didn’t win Baloon d’oor or even WPOY but we’re better and had better careers than WPOY winners citing Maldini and cannavaro etc. my question for you why do you think Weah is the African GOAT?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

No matter what anyone says, no other African player has achieved Eto’o attainment or are as accomplished as him. This is a man that won 2 nations cup back to back, 4 African player of the year, 3 champions league, etc and he wasn’t just a squad player at those wins, he was literally top 3 best at those teams. The seria A that George used to win Wpoy, he only scored 14 league goals and couldn’t win a champions league while Eto’o was scoring 33 overall goals in Seria A and winning another back to back champions league playing as a right winger. I’m sorry dean but Eto’o was better than Weah pound for pound or achievement wise.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

oloye wrote:
john12 wrote:Cannavaro wasn’t better than Maldini or Baresi even with his WPOY and micheal Owen wasn’t better than Henry, berghamp, Totti, Ibrahimovich because he won a baloon d’or and all these aforementioned players didn’t win one. I used your Weah logic to counter an argument
And you rubbished the WPOY.... You don't need to use my logic. I can tell you on thing Etoo is not better than Weah skill for skill, ability for ability. No you did not counter my logic, you only exposed the disdain you have for the WPOY :lol: :lol:
The award was deserved but comparing both players on awards won when they barely played at the same time get as it be.
Workman
Egg
Egg

Post by Workman »

Best is slightly more debatable than greatest. Here is my list of GOAT not BOAT.

1. Milla, 2. Weah, 3. Eto, 4. Abedi, 5. Kanu, 6. Drogba, 7. Hassan, 8. Yaya, 9. Okocha, 10. Madger. Honorable mentions - Nkono, Gyan, Salah, Bwalya.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the matter, Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. "
Ecclesiastes 12:13

popular quote- "Every Good deed will not go unpunished"
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

oloye wrote:
john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
My friend when someone wins the WPOY all arguments about who is the greatest African player stops right there. The rest is sound bytes.

This is simplistic, sir. Pele never won WPOY does that mean every player who has won the WPOY is better than him? No. Winning WPOY means you were just hot that year. I can't imagine Kaka being ranked ahead of Zico just because Kaka won WPOY. Winning WPOY is situational, sir.

Also, WPOY is different from African player of all time. Samuel Eto'o did more on World stage than George Weah ever did on the football pitch (and they both played in Europe). On African soil Samuel Eto'o did way more than George Weah (please don't tell me George Weah carried his team on his back because Samuel Eto'o did too).
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Anyway, I don't know which criteria we are using to rank these guys but if it is solely based on impact here is my list:

Roger Milla is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I will forever be grateful to the joy he brought to Africans all over the world.

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

***Breda = Br****
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

balo wrote:George Weah
Didier Drogba
:clap: :clap: :clap:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

oloye wrote:Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

I can understand if we have produced many WPOY, i can under stand if we have other WPOY, only Weah won it..like i said the argument stops there not because Etoo does not deserve to be named, it stops because Weah was recognised as the World player of the year in his career...you cannot push that aside to argue that Etoo played for x number of years at the top.
Do you have the stats for the year Weah won it?
I hear he was not even the top goal scorer in his team.
Did not win the Champs league or the league.
Perharps, he was given for humanitarian reasons and not for play on the pitch?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Someone in here said Drogba was better than Ibrahimovic. Proof yet again that some CEers do not watch football :lol: :lol: :lol:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Heliopolis wrote:Someone in here said Drogba was better than Ibrahimovic. Proof yet again that some CEers do not watch football :lol: :lol: :lol:
Errr how is Ibrahimovic better than Drogba??? There is really not much that seperates the 2.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

bamenda boy wrote:Perharps, he was given for humanitarian reasons and not for play on the pitch?
Weah was a great player and fully deserved his Ballon d'Or so let's not get that twisted. However, I believe other African players (like Eto'o) should have won it too, and Weah is their token black that they can point to, to give the impression of fairness. He was in the right place at the right time to be the token African player on the list. We often see this in other areas in life where there is otherwise discrimination.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bamenda boy wrote:
oloye wrote:Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

I can understand if we have produced many WPOY, i can under stand if we have other WPOY, only Weah won it..like i said the argument stops there not because Etoo does not deserve to be named, it stops because Weah was recognised as the World player of the year in his career...you cannot push that aside to argue that Etoo played for x number of years at the top.
He score 13 goals in 1995 season he move from PSG to AC Milan that same year.So in 1995 he play for two clubs and won just French cup.
So yes he was not top scorer but his change of club also play a part but 13 goals is not enough consider he was with PSG for 3 years before the move and won French cup that year.That was same year he did a lot for Liberia after his 5 million move which was a lot of money then,i was one of his biggest fan then,i remember with the stars all over AC Milan he arrived few training with helicopter,Burlusconi came to training ground for the first t ime to see Weah train.Canal plus show it live.Lets not bring humanitarian reason,but people love him for what he did in Liberia during that time,fly private jet to Liberia after a game to beg his people :thumbs: :thumbs:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kajifu wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:

He score 13 goals in 1995 season he move from PSG to AC Milan that same year.So in 1995 he play for two clubs and won just French cup.
So yes he was not top scorer but his change of club also play a part but 13 goals is not enough consider he was with PSG for 3 years before the move and won French cup that year.That was same year he did a lot for Liberia after his 5 million move which was a lot of money then,i was one of his biggest fan then,i remember with the stars all over AC Milan he arrived few training with helicopter,Burlusconi came to training ground for the first t ime to see Weah train.Canal plus show it live.Lets not bring humanitarian reason,but people love him for what he did in Liberia during that time,fly private jet to Liberia after a game to beg his people :thumbs: :thumbs:
Weah's stats in his WPOY season are so underwhelming that it boggles the mind. But hey, you can't take the award away from him.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

bamenda boy wrote:

This is why I said winning WPOY is situational.

***Breda = Br****
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

If we look at Club and National honours there is only one name that comes to mind on Samuel Eto'o.

Honourable mention to George Weah, Abedi Pele, Kanu, Drogba and Kalusha "Captain my Captain" Bwalya.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:If we look at Club and National honours there is only one name that comes to mind on Samuel Eto'o.

Honourable mention to George Weah, Abedi Pele, Kanu, Drogba and Kalusha "Captain my Captain" Bwalya.
Eto is the most overrated African player ever. All the pllayers you gave Honorable mentions to were way better especially Weah. Weah almost qualified minnows Liberia to the WC in 2002.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

How’s etoo the most overrated African player? My friend keep quiet. If you look at all etoo achievements, he wasn’t even just a squad player the man was literally top 3 best player in all his achievements starting from ANC, Olympics, confederation cup, Cl, La Liga, ANC. This is a man that has performed for club, country and won all sort of laurels yet you call him overrated
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

Theopile "Doctor" Abega! A midfield magician. A midfield general!

Football did not start in 1990.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!