The Greatest African player of all time is...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by camex »

I see opinions are divided but I think we can all agree that is the question was which african has had the most successful retirement career, it would be George Weah.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

camex wrote:I see opinions are divided but I think we can all agree that is the question was which african has had the most successful retirement career, it would be George Weah.
Where did you see retirement career in my question? :roll:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

oloye wrote:Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

I can understand if we have produced many WPOY, i can under stand if we have other WPOY, only Weah won it..like i said the argument stops there not because Etoo does not deserve to be named, it stops because Weah was recognised as the World player of the year in his career...you cannot push that aside to argue that Etoo played for x number of years at the top.
By your logic, Pele is not a great?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

By his logic, cannavaro was better than Maldini, Baresi. By his logic, Owen was better than berghamp, Henry, Raul, Etoo. You cannot just say a player is the GOAT because of 1 single award. You have to judge based on their overall performance/consistency during their career
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Said this here many a time. Eusebio played for Portugal and not Mozambique. If he did, then I gave a problem making this choice.

George Weah is the best of all time. His career in France was remarkable, then he went to Italy, then easily the best league in the world, with the best players in all positions, playing against the best, toughest and roughest defences maybe in the history of the game and he became the best of the best.

George Weah's achievements when he achieved them were unique and it took his supreme talent to take him to the heights he attained.

No disrespect intended to other African greats, George is easily the best of the best African player of all times.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:Said this here many a time. Eusebio played for Portugal and not Mozambique. If he did, then I gave a problem making this choice.

George Weah is the best of all time. His career in France was remarkable, then he went to Italy, then easily the best league in the world, with the best players in all positions, playing against the best, toughest and roughest defences maybe in the history of the game and he became the best of the best.

George Weah's achievements when he achieved them were unique and it took his supreme talent to take him to the heights he attained.

No disrespect intended to other African greats, George is easily the best of the best African player of all times.
Waffi, im wondering why his stats compared to others in the same league looked so average to below average, when the likes of Eto'o have been able to put up great stats?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Said this here many a time. Eusebio played for Portugal and not Mozambique. If he did, then I gave a problem making this choice.

Waffi, im wondering why his stats compared to others in the same league looked so average to below average, when the likes of Eto'o have been able to put up great stats?
What stats and in what context are they compared? As a stats man, I'd be curious to see and analyse these stats. Weah played in the best league, against the best strikers, midfielders and certainly the best defenders and best defences, that had the best players in the world when he reigned supreme.

He was a pioneer at a time when Africans were not considered equal to their European and South American compatriot. But with his supreme talent, he rose above all the prejudices and hate to excel as the best of the best.

No African player comes close, stats or no stat. Just have a look at how many Africans tried to break through in Europe before Weah. Then you come to appreciate how supremely talented he was, his team mates, with their ignorance and racism, some of them had no choice but to respect him as a team mate because they needed him to win.

There were players who came before Weah, but they found it hard. I remember Biri Biri at Sevilla, that was one heck of a player, who found success in Spain.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

What stats and in what context are they compared? As a stats man, I'd be curious to see and analyse these stats. Weah played in the best league, against the best strikers, midfielders and certainly the best defenders and best defences, that had the best players in the world when he reigned supreme.

He was a pioneer at a time when Africans were not considered equal to their European and South American compatriot. But with his supreme talent, he rose above all the prejudices and hate to excel as the best of the best.

No African player comes close, stats or no stat. Just have a look at how many Africans tried to break through in Europe before Weah. Then you come to appreciate how supremely talented he was, his team mates, with their ignorance and racism, some of them had no choice but to respect him as a team mate because they needed him to win.

There were players who came before Weah, but they found it hard. I remember Biri Biri at Sevilla, that was one heck of a player, who found success in Spain.
Waffi, if my memory serves me correctly, did they not change the rules of the European Player of the Year in 1995 so a non-European could become eligible, because of Weah?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Waffi, if my memory serves me correctly, did they not change the rules of the European Player of the Year in 1995 so a non-European could become eligible, because of Weah?
You mean world player?A European was name second best in 1995 behind Weah.So I am not sure about non European when he won but world best player
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

For instance, his highest goals scored ever in Serie A was 13 goals in 96/97. Inzhagi the top scorer that season had 24 goals. The likes of Eto'o and Drogba have been highest or close to the highest goal scorers in their respective leagues at one point or another. Ok I get it, it was hard for him to break in being African, but his stats are pretty below average there's no two way about it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If we’re being honest then we can all agree that Weah 1995 stats isn’t the best ever for an African player nor is it a stats deserving WPOY. However, we’re glad that Weah won WPOY and became a flag bearer/role model for African players overseas but Overall, he didn’t had a better career than ETOO
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

You mean world player?A European was name second best in 1995 behind Weah.So I am not sure about non European when he won but world best player
No, there is also the European Player of the year award, which he was the first non-European to win
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

No, there is also the European Player of the year award, which he was the first non-European to win
That was the original Ballon d'Or, in which journalists from all over Europe voted. Eastern Europe with their majority of voters tend to vote for their own, but they made an exception in Weah because voting for anyone else would have been an embarrassment. Consequently, they changed the rules of eligibility to accommodate Weah
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

May be because he had French citizenship then?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Yep. They changed the rules of eligibility to accommodate Weah.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

May be because he had French citizenship then?
No...he won it as a Liberian. It made news then because even Maradona never won it because he was ineligible as s non-European. I'll post the info if I can find it online.

It was the original Ballon d'or, subsequently merged with FIFA , then separated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or
History

Stanley Matthews of Blackpool was the inaugural winner of the Ballon d'Or.[4] Prior to 1995, the award was often known in English language media as the European Footballer of the Year award. Milan's George Weah, the only African recipient, became the first non-European to win the award in the year that rules of eligibility were changed.[2] Ronaldo of Internazionale became the first South American winner two years later.[2] Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have won the award a record five times each. Three players have won the award three times each: Johan Cruyff of Ajax and Barcelona, Michel Platini of Juventus and Marco van Basten of Milan. With seven awards each, Dutch, German and Portuguese players won the most Ballons d'Or. Spanish club Barcelona has the most winners, with 11 wins.[5]

Between 2010 and 2015 inclusive, the award was merged with a similar one, the FIFA World Player of the Year award, to create the FIFA Ballon d'Or, which was awarded to the world's best male player before FIFA and France Football broke the merging agreement.[6] After 2011, UEFA created the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award to maintain the format of the original Ballon d'Or.[7]

Eight players (Bobby Charlton, Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Müller, Paolo Rossi, Zinedine Zidane, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaká) have won the FIFA World Cup, the European Cup/UEFA Champions League and the Ballon d'Or during their careers.[8]
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

For instance, his highest goals scored ever in Serie A was 13 goals in 96/97. Inzhagi the top scorer that season had 24 goals. The likes of Eto'o and Drogba have been highest or close to the highest goal scorers in their respective leagues at one point or another. Ok I get it, it was hard for him to break in being African, but his stats are pretty below average there's no two way about it.
Like I said, you have to put this things into context. George Weah was not a box striker, like Inzgagi, Sinori, Protti Bhiehoff etc etc in that league. Yes, he was not top scorer like the box strikers who operated in Serie A because he was a completely different type of player. He was a new breed, the modern football attacker. His supreme talents saw him play as the multi-functional forward. Like Henry, (who IMHO Weah was better than) he was that team player who created chances and assists for teammates.

The likes of Weah, Ronaldo and Romario changed the game. In the 1990s, Weah was that modern, new breed of striker who was just as destructive outside the penalty area running with the ball towards goal, during a time when most strikers primarily operated inside the penalty area where they would receive the ball from teammates.

In you want to compare, then you need to look at the overall contribution to goals, not just goals scored. If you do, then you see Weah amongst the likes of Del Puerto, Ronaldo, Mancini, Totti, Baggio, Rui Costa etc etc. Indeed in his 4 seasons at Milan, his main rivals were Ronaldo (sadly for one season cos of injury) and Del Puerto in terms of overall contribution to goals and titles.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

:???:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Waffiman,

there is also Abedi Pele
I belive he also came to Europe quite late but won a champions Leaguenin 1993 nonetheles. Had he arrived earlier like Etoo he could have had a more successful career
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Now he says Henry was better than Igwe? My friend will you keep quiet. Person wet no score up to 20 league goals for any top league ne breed my nyash
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Like I said, you have to put this things into context. George Weah was not a box striker, like Inzgagi, Sinori, Protti Bhiehoff etc etc in that league. Yes, he was not top scorer like the box strikers who operated in Serie A because he was a completely different type of player. He was a new breed, the modern football attacker. His supreme talents saw him play as the multi-functional forward. Like Henry, (who IMHO Weah was better than) he was that team player who created chances and assists for teammates.

The likes of Weah, Ronaldo and Romario changed the game. In the 1990s, Weah was that modern, new breed of striker who was just as destructive outside the penalty area running with the ball towards goal, during a time when most strikers primarily operated inside the penalty area where they would receive the ball from teammates.

In you want to compare, then you need to look at the overall contribution to goals, not just goals scored. If you do, then you see Weah amongst the likes of Del Puerto, Ronaldo, Mancini, Totti, Baggio, Rui Costa etc etc. Indeed in his 4 seasons at Milan, his main rivals were Ronaldo (sadly for one season cos of injury) and Del Puerto in terms of overall contribution to goals and titles.
I'll say this, its a little weird that all those other greats you are comparing him to actually have the stats that match, from Del Pierro to Ronaldo, to Henry. Baggio had over 200 goals in Serie A, Del Pierro 188 goals, even Totti a midfielder has scored more than 13 goals in various Serie A seasons. Its just odd that he's so great yet for everyone else the numbers make sense but they don't for him...he's a great African ambassador but he does seem a bit overhyped...

This doesn't look like Henry to me:

[/video]

Interesting game Weah vs Ronaldo - great duel with Taribo West!:

[/video]

This one might explain why he scored so few goals, good player but a poor/rash finisher relying mainly on power:

[/video]

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

I'll say this, its a little weird that all those other greats you are comparing him to actually have the stats that match, from Del Pierro to Ronaldo, to Henry. Baggio had over 200 goals in Serie A, Del Pierro 188 goals, even Totti a midfielder has scored more than 13 goals in various Serie A seasons. Its just odd that he's so great yet for everyone else the numbers make sense but they don't for him...he's a great African ambassador but he does seem a bit overhyped...

This doesn't look like Henry to me:

[/video]

Interesting game Weah vs Ronaldo - great duel with Taribo West!:

[/video]

This one might explain why he scored so few goals, good player but a poor/rash finisher relying mainly on power:

[/video]

[/video]
My bro, I am wondering if you saw Weah play in his prime. I don't need YouTube videos, as an African back then, I recall how we always made sure we watched every game involving African players.

You cannot be making conclusions about any player on YouTube clips. That's not fair and you use of goals scored as a barometer is just plain wrong.