The Greatest African player of all time is...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by kajifu »

john12 wrote:Drogba wasn’t as good as yekini?? Smh and Nigerians will label British fans as arrogant
Stop it,Drogba was never as good as Yekini,playing for Chelsea doesn't make you greater because EPL is popular.Drogba that Lampard outscored?
What was Drogba average goal per season?Please don't insult Yekini the father of goals.Yekini is a better player than Drogba,facts not feelings.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Rawlings wrote:The minimum requirement for this title is an African player of the year award
Some players may argue, during their time, the award was not available. That's a fair point
But for players, who played, when the award was around and never won it, PLEASE, don't embarrass them.

Only one of the following is the GOAT:
  • Roger Milla - African Footballer of the Year: 1976, 1990
    Oppong Weah -African Footballer of the Year: 1989, 1994, 1995
    Abedi Pele - African Footballer of the Year Winner: 1991, 1992, 1993
    Nwankwo Kanu - African Footballer of the Year: 1996, 1999
    Samuel Eto'o Fils -African Player of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010
    Didier Yves Drogba Tébily - African Footballer of the Year: 2006, 2009
    Yaya Touré -African Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Jay-Jay Okocha - African Footballer of the Year: :laugh: :???:
Okocha was Africa most gifted player! could have easily been the best if he applied himself between 21-29 when he was at his peak
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Kabalega wrote:
Rawlings wrote:The minimum requirement for this title is an African player of the year award
Some players may argue, during their time, the award was not available. That's a fair point
But for players, who played, when the award was around and never won it, PLEASE, don't embarrass them.

I asked for one. Not a list of Africa's greats. I meant the greatest.
Not quite.
Rabah "Mustapha" Madjer
George Tawlon Manneh Oppong Ousman Weah
Samuel Eto'o Fils
Phillip Omondi (Abedi Pele's idol)
Mohamed Aboutrika
Hossam Hassan
Nwankwo Kanu
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Rest In Peace to yekini but my friend keep your mouth shut if you have nothing else to say because even Ibrahimovich wasn’t as good as Drogba. Drogba is one of the best big games players of all time and to say he wasn’t as good as yekini (rip) na insult
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

marko wrote:

Okocha was Africa most gifted player! could have easily been the best if he applied himself between 21-29 when he was at his peak
"gifted" is subjective.
It's only Nigerians who, even mention his name, when Africa's G.O.A.T is discussed
Okocha does not meet the minimum requirement for being considered .
He was a "clown" and that's why he ended up at BOLTON in his prime
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:Drogba wasn’t as good as yekini?? Smh and Nigerians will label British fans as arrogant
But he wasn't.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Oguleftie wrote:Moderators please delete thread.
This has reared its ugly head again
Moderators please delete this nonsense.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The greatest African player of all time is the ONLY player to have won African, European and World Player of the Year at the same time;

GEORGE OPPONG WEAH

It is not known when or even whether that feat will ever be repeated.
Any other argument is ludicrous.
Player of the Year awards are not given to just anybody.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

john12 wrote:Rest In Peace to yekini but my friend keep your mouth shut if you have nothing else to say because even Ibrahimovich wasn’t as good as Drogba. Drogba is one of the best big games players of all time and to say he wasn’t as good as yekini (rip) na insult
Is Drogba a better player than Yekini?Is Drogba a better player than Eto'o?Is Drogba a better player than Weah?

Is Drogba consider Ivory coast great of all time?
Thanks
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

This is a hard one because there are different factors involved here. For example, some players are very skilful while others are more productive in terms of goals.

Samuel Eto'o is the most productive African player of all time, in terms of consistency, playing at the highest levels.

The most skilful that played at the highest levels is George Weah. Incidentally, he is the only African player to have won the Ballon d'Or.

There are many other skilful players from Africa but we didn't get to see them play at the highest levels to see if they can hold their own consistently against the very best in the world.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

I can understand if we have produced many WPOY, i can under stand if we have other WPOY, only Weah won it..like i said the argument stops there not because Etoo does not deserve to be named, it stops because Weah was recognised as the World player of the year in his career...you cannot push that aside to argue that Etoo played for x number of years at the top.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

oloye wrote:Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

I can understand if we have produced many WPOY, i can under stand if we have other WPOY, only Weah won it..like i said the argument stops there not because Etoo does not deserve to be named, it stops because Weah was recognised as the World player of the year in his career...you cannot push that aside to argue that Etoo played for x number of years at the top.
In 2005 he was a finalist, lost to his teammate, won the European golden boot twice. He hasn't just playing at the highest level, he was starring there he wasn't Kanu. His career accomplishments are far more expansive than Weah's.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

oloye wrote:Etoo played at the highest level for over a decade and never won the WPOY, and Weah in how many years won it. Weah came to Europe at an old age, thank God for Wenger who discovered and brought him to europe so that all can see his ability. Etoo can arguably be said to be the best, but how do you explain bypassing the man who within such a short span of what was left of his playing career won the WPOY?

You can't look only at the WPOY. Consider that they overlook Africans for the most part and Weah may just happen to be their token African winner. We can't depend on them to choose who is our best.

We have to also look at other indices like the AFOY, national team accomplishments and club accomplishments. Eto'o comes on top in every other area apart from the WPOY, which again can be arguably be seen as unfair towards African players in general.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kalani JR wrote:

In 2005 he was a finalist, lost to his teammate, won the European golden boot twice. He hasn't just playing at the highest level, he was starring there he wasn't Kanu. His career accomplishments are far more expansive than Weah's.
He did not win it. The rest is tales by moonlight :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Orion wrote:

You can't look only at the WPOY. Consider that they overlook Africans for the most part and Weah may just happen to be their token African winner. We can't depend on them to choose who is our best.

We have to also look at other indices like the AFOY, national team accomplishments and club accomplishments. Eto'o comes on top in every other area apart from the WPOY, which again can be arguably be seen as unfair towards African players in general.
Agh rubbish the award to make a case for Etoo, I guess Weah was.. Aghhh never mind. One would think that is more the reason why one should appreciate what Weah accomplished when he won it... I mean to wade through the rough sea of unfairness and prejudice to win the WPOY, in fact thinking of this new Information.. It is Weah no contest :lol:

Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Oguleftie wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:Moderators please delete thread.
This has reared its ugly head again
Moderators please delete this nonsense.
Mods please ban this man
He wants to regulate thought
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You can’t just say because he won Wpoy he is the greatest of all time it dosent add up. By your logic, the likes of materazzi was better than Maldini because he won a World Cup and Maldini didn’t win one or micheal Owen was better than Ibrahimovich, Samuel etoo or even saying cannavaro is the greatest cb of all time because he won Wpoy
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:You can’t just say because he won Wpoy he is the greatest of all time it dosent add up. By your logic, the likes of materazzi was better than Maldini because he won a World Cup and Maldini didn’t win one or micheal Owen was better than Ibrahimovich, Samuel etoo or even saying cannavaro is the greatest cb of all time because he won Wpoy
Materazzi did not win an individual award declaring him the best player...stop mixing apples and oranges, that is not a logical way of debating. There is nothing in my suggestion advocating this position, you are the one trying to muddy the water with the obtuse arguement my good friend :lol:

The WPOY is an individual award recognising a footballer as the best in the world for the year in question, whether such have won a world cup or not. It is an award given based on the opinions of the best minds in the game. The likes of Materrazzi can never and will never come near that award, even if they are giving it for free.

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Cannavaro won Wpoy but he isn’t better than Maldini Owen won bdo but he wasn’t better than Raul Henry
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

oloye wrote:
john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
My friend when someone wins the WPOY all arguments about who is the greatest African player stops right there. The rest is sound bytes.
Can someone spell K-P-O-M?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

So obong by your logic owen was better than Thierry Henry, Raul, Ibrahimovich, Dennis berghamp because he won baloon d’or And they didnt or cannavaro was better than Baresi, Maldini he won wpoy and Baresi and Maldini didn’t win one?? You don’t judge a goat based on 1 single award but you judge them based on longevity, achievements, performance their entire career
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

john12 wrote:So obong by your logic owen was better than Thierry Henry, Raul, Ibrahimovich, Dennis berghamp because he won baloon d’or And they didnt or cannavaro was better than Baresi, Maldini he won wpoy and Baresi and Maldini didn’t win one?? You don’t judge a goat based on 1 single award but you judge them based on longevity, achievements, performance their entire career
My guy dont waste your time,according to their logic Cannavaro should be consider a better player than Baresi and Maldini since he won the wpoy.Oh we should consider Modric a better player than Inniesta since he won the wpoy.Weah after that year never ever get short listed as top 3 player in the world again.He stats in 1995 is shocking,13 goals that season,did not win CL
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Cannavaro won Wpoy but he isn’t better than Maldini Owen won bdo but he wasn’t better than Raul Henry
Cannavaro won the World Cup and the WPOY who do you think is more accomplished in comparison to Maldini and Baresi, after all it is being argued in another thread that Pele and Maradona are ahead of Messi because they won the World Cup and Messi has not :lol:

Dude unless a set criteria is agreed upon there is no clear winner. One thing I can assure you is, skill for skill ability for ability Etoo is not better than Weah. By the way I have massive respect for Etoo... I have no qualms accepting him as the greatest... But you cannot rubbish someone who won the WPOY and the only African to ever win it. You cannot. Not with even with Tom and Jerry logic.