The Greatest African player of all time is...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by ANC »

balo wrote:George Weah
Didier Drogba

He is one of my all time favorites but he is far from it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
My friend when someone wins the WPOY all arguments about who is the greatest African player stops right there. The rest is sound bytes.
Ol'boy,

When someone name Drogba no be to shake head be dat? Imagine all the guys who ruled AFCON and ruled WC for African teams, then na Drogba we go chop because of Chelsea?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Was Drogba greater than Yaya?
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Samuel Eto
Didier Drogba
Yaya Toure
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Aboutrika and it's not close.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1. George Opong Weah
2. Roger Milla
3. Abou Treika
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:1. George Opong Weah
2. Roger Milla
3. Abou Treika
What of Abedi Pele he was one of my best Africa player,?
Surprise no one name him on this thread
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

kajifu wrote:
2. Roger Milla
3. Abou Treika
This is a naija forums
Last edited by Rawlings on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

kajifu wrote:
2. Roger Milla
3. Abou Treika

Abedi Pele is indeed one of the African greats, as is Aboutreika (no one has even mentioned the great Rabah Madjer). But when you're talking of the best African of all time, I think that it's a two horse race between Roger Milla and King George.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

bepanda wrote:Michael Essien, Francois Omam Biyick, Riyah Mahrez, Mo Salah
I see you are no longer a fan of the sardinard.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:
john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
My friend when someone wins the WPOY all arguments about who is the greatest African player stops right there. The rest is sound bytes.
Dean, I no gree o.

It has to go to a certain Samuel Eto'o Fils.

Consistency for a long stretch at the highest level.

The argument that because Weah won WPOY doesn't hold water for me. Who was Weah up against when he won? Just like we are doing now, it is all subjective.

It is easier to do the most successful (accomplished) African footballer of all time.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Exactly my point you cannot just use one Wpoy to claim his the g.o.a.t when he wasn’t very very consistent at the “TOP” level. Eto’o or drogba for me
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This debate always descends to a debate on definitions masquerading as a comparison between players. One has to have some ground rules. You cannot possibly compare Messi with Rummenigge man for man. Messi benefits from the body of knowledge from prior eras and is fitter, faster and stronger than Rummenigge ever was.

For me, considering all factors and most potential definitions of GOAT, the answer is Eto’o. A distant second (checking one box: talent) is probably Jay Jay. All the other players I see mentioned don’t measure up to Eto’o in any category. The only one that beats him in one category is Jay Jay.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Cellular wrote:
oloye wrote:
Dean, I no gree o.

It has to go to a certain Samuel Eto'o Fils.

Consistency for a long stretch at the highest level.

The argument that because Weah won WPOY doesn't hold water for me. Who was Weah up against when he won? Just like we are doing now, it is all subjective.

It is easier to do the most successful (accomplished) African footballer of all time.
It’s nonsense to say Weah is the best cause he won WPOY. Scoring, at best, 15 goals a season? Would one also say that Weah is better than any player that did not win WPOY?? Would we say Weah is a better striker than Zlatan?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I can't speak about Weah because he was before my time but since I started following the game in the mid 90s I have to say Eto'o has been the most decorated African player over this period. He won it all at the club and country level. He's a polarizing guy which clouds how a lot of people perceive him but there's no doubt he was one of the world's best strikers for a good 7-year period. One of the things that cemented his greatness in my eyes was when he won back-to-back CL's at Barca and Inter. Neither club would've won it without him even though he wasn't even close to being the most important player but his versatility was instrumental to their success. Even going back to the 2006 CL semis I remember him playing right back in the closing minutes of the 2nd leg to seal the deal. I believe in the 2009 CL final he started on the wing and scored a goal. In the 2010 CL he played all over the place to get Inter passed the finish line. Despite his poor attitude history will remember him kindly.

One last thought: Drogba is the people's champion due to his work ethic on the field and kind deeds off of it but I think people are way too sentimental about him. I love the guy but he only had 2-3 great seasons. Although he was a traditional striker he averaged only 15 goals in the most formative years of his career. Not good enough to be considered the best African ever.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Heliopolis wrote:I can't speak about Weah because he was before my time but since I started following the game in the mid 90s I have to say Eto'o has been the most decorated African player over this period. He won it all at the club and country level. He's a polarizing guy which clouds how a lot of people perceive him but there's no doubt he was one of the world's best strikers for a good 7-year period. One of the things that cemented his greatness in my eyes was when he won back-to-back CL's at Barca and Inter. Neither club would've won it without him even though he wasn't even close to being the most important player but his versatility was instrumental to their success. Even going back to the 2006 CL semis I remember him playing right back in the closing minutes of the 2nd leg to seal the deal. I believe in the 2009 CL final he started on the wing and scored a goal. In the 2010 CL he played all over the place to get Inter passed the finish line. Despite his poor attitude history will remember him kindly.

One last thought: Drogba is the people's champion due to his work ethic on the field and kind deeds off of it but I think people are way too sentimental about him. I love the guy but he only had 2-3 great seasons. Although he was a traditional striker he averaged only 15 goals in the most formative years of his career. Not good enough to be considered the best African ever.
Great stuff!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The minimum requirement for this title is an African player of the year award
Some players may argue, during their time, the award was not available. That's a fair point
But for players, who played, when the award was around and never won it, PLEASE, don't embarrass them.

Only one of the following is the GOAT:
  • Roger Milla - African Footballer of the Year: 1976, 1990
    Oppong Weah -African Footballer of the Year: 1989, 1994, 1995
    Abedi Pele - African Footballer of the Year Winner: 1991, 1992, 1993
    Nwankwo Kanu - African Footballer of the Year: 1996, 1999
    Samuel Eto'o Fils -African Player of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010
    Didier Yves Drogba Tébily - African Footballer of the Year: 2006, 2009
    Yaya Touré -African Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Jay-Jay Okocha - African Footballer of the Year: :laugh: :???:
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Heliopolis wrote:I can't speak about Weah because he was before my time but since I started following the game in the mid 90s I have to say Eto'o has been the most decorated African player over this period. He won it all at the club and country level. He's a polarizing guy which clouds how a lot of people perceive him but there's no doubt he was one of the world's best strikers for a good 7-year period. One of the things that cemented his greatness in my eyes was when he won back-to-back CL's at Barca and Inter. Neither club would've won it without him even though he wasn't even close to being the most important player but his versatility was instrumental to their success. Even going back to the 2006 CL semis I remember him playing right back in the closing minutes of the 2nd leg to seal the deal. I believe in the 2009 CL final he started on the wing and scored a goal. In the 2010 CL he played all over the place to get Inter passed the finish line. Despite his poor attitude history will remember him kindly.

KPOM well said,Eto'o I think Eto'o happen to be on the rise when one Ronaldinho was on fire that was the player who shadow Eto'o from been crown world best at one point.Drogba is not even Africa top 7 players,a traditional 9 that was not half good as King Yekini the father of goal.If anyone consider Drogba then just hand it to King Eto'o.One of my uncle said he has never seen any player from Africa as good as Roger Milla to him he was the best.He said what we see in 1990 is a flash of the old man.Yaya Toure to me is Ivory Coast greatest of all time.
My best Africa player of all time is one Abedi Pele its my opinion, i just personal like his game.1992 ANC ,then his Marseille days when they were the darling French team with a crooked owner also to add.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Roger Milla unfortunately got to Europe pretty late in his career. And he had some club highlights, but too few.

That said I think he is one wrongly dissallowed goal away from being Africa's best ever. Had his goal vs Peru counted in 1972 I think the entire history of African football would have turned out differently. That 1982 Cameroon team was in my opinion Africa's best team ever.

I am surprised though no one mentioned Salif Keita from the 1970s.
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

kajifu wrote:
2. Roger Milla
3. Abou Treika
This is a Nigerian forum. a place where Yekini is compared to the likes of Roger Milla and Didier Drogba and where Mikel Obi was thought to be better than Michael Essien.
And Jay Jay Okocha is counted among......d :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

don't be surprised by what else you would hear...I've warned you
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bibo and Madjer are in the discussion.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Rawlings wrote:The minimum requirement for this title is an African player of the year award
Some players may argue, during their time, the award was not available. That's a fair point
But for players, who played, when the award was around and never won it, PLEASE, don't embarrass them.

Only one of the following is the GOAT:
  • Roger Milla - African Footballer of the Year: 1976, 1990
    Oppong Weah -African Footballer of the Year: 1989, 1994, 1995
    Abedi Pele - African Footballer of the Year Winner: 1991, 1992, 1993
    Nwankwo Kanu - African Footballer of the Year: 1996, 1999
    Samuel Eto'o Fils -African Player of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010
    Didier Yves Drogba Tébily - African Footballer of the Year: 2006, 2009
    Yaya Touré -African Footballer of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Jay-Jay Okocha - African Footballer of the Year: :laugh: :???:
Not quite.
Rabah "Mustapha" Madjer
George Tawlon Manneh Oppong Ousman Weah
Samuel Eto'o Fils
Phillip Omondi (Abedi Pele's idol)
Mohamed Aboutrika
Hossam Hassan
Nwankwo Kanu
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Drogba wasn’t as good as yekini?? Smh and Nigerians will label British fans as arrogant