The Greatest African player of all time is...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by bamenda boy »

Tough one. I am temped to say JJ Okocha but where are the accolades?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg
Re: The Greatest African player of all time is...

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Bamenda you are looking for trouble. :biggrin:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Djemba Djemba, was so good they named him twice. :sneaky:

Every time the commentators say "Djemba, Djemba", naija fans reply "how many times did he call you" :tic: :taunt:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AN1

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Roger Miller!

Jay Jay Okocha a close second.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Alategun
Egg
Egg

Post by Alategun »

George Weah
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

For me personally it’s DROGBA or Eto’o. Okocha didn’t achieve enough to be considered a Goat and Weah despite winning wpoy in 1995 statistics wasn’t the best
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nkume wrote:Roger Miller!

Jay Jay Okocha a close second.

:shock:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Roger Miller
Weah Opong
Thomas Nkono
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

George Weah
Didier Drogba
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:For me personally it’s DROGBA or Eto’o. Okocha didn’t achieve enough to be considered a Goat and Weah despite winning wpoy in 1995 statistics wasn’t the best
Someone won the WPOY and you are still talking of statistics not being enough.... Are you sure you know the meaning of statistics?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Uncle oloye his statistics wasn’t better than Eto’o or Drogba and you cannot just make him The Goat because of 1 WPOY you have to consider his overall performance club/country to make a judgement
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
God forgive him,Drogba is not in Africa top 5 and you compare longevity to Weah?Do you know when this giy start play proffessional football before Boss Wenger sign him?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

How is it Drogba, someone humor me.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I’m talking about longevity at the top. Drogba performed for country and club. He is IVC top scorer of all time. 4 epl, champions league, FA Cup and he was one of Chelsea best at all these tournaments. Weah never won a cup, never won an ANC, never qualified his country for ANC, you can’t keep using the same 1995/1996 Wpoy as only a yardstick. If you don’t include drogba at your top 5 then who will you include
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

john12 wrote:I’m talking about longevity at the top. Drogba performed for country and club. He is IVC top scorer of all time. 4 epl, champions league, FA Cup and he was one of Chelsea best at all these tournaments. Weah never won a cup, never won an ANC, never qualified his country for ANC, you can’t keep using the same 1995/1996 Wpoy as only a yardstick. If you don’t include drogba at your top 5 then who will you include
Weah took his country to two ANCs..Drogba played with his county's most talented generation but ZERO TITULI. In fact the first tournament post his international career, they won...makes you think who was holding them back.
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

jules Bocande Papa Camara and Yekini
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Moderators please delete thread.
This has reared its ugly head again
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Uncle oloye yes he won the Wpoy but overall boss I feel that drogba and Eto’o was more consistent at the top and their longevity supersede George Weah at the top. The likes of drogba and Eto’o would had won Wpoy based on their 2007 to 12 stats if they were playing in 1995. I mean Weah never scored more than 20 league goals in that 1995 season sef or even win any champions league that year
My friend when someone wins the WPOY all arguments about who is the greatest African player stops right there. The rest is sound bytes.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Alategun wrote:George Weah
Case closed. :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Michael Essien, Francois Omam Biyick, Riyah Mahrez, Mo Salah
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

bepanda wrote:Michael Essien, Francois Omam Biyick, Riyah Mahrez, Mo Salah

:shock: