Bukayo Saka "very big personality," in full debut - Emery

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Polly
Egg
Egg
Bukayo Saka "very big personality," in full debut - Emery

Post by Polly »

Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners

https://tinyurl.com/y7vnldry

Mattias Karen
Arsenal correspondent

LONDON -- Arsenal coach Unai Emery hailed 17-year-old Bukayo Saka for playing "with a very big personality" on his full debut for the Gunners in Thursday's 1-0 win over Qarabag in the Europa League.

Saka made his first start for the Gunners on the left wing showed plenty of confidence as he tested goalkeeper Vagner with an early strike from the edge of the box and tried to take on defenders with an exciting blend of pace and skill.

He probably should have capped his performance with a goal as well when he had a gilt-edged chance to double Arsenal's lead but fired almost straight at the goalkeeper.

Saka is the latest youngster to impress Emery during this Europa League group stage, which has also seen good performances by fellow teenagers Eddie Nketiah, Emile Smith Rowe and Joe Willock.

"They show us in every match positive things. And today Saka also, he played with a good performance with a very big personality," Emery said. "We were speaking at half-time, they were trying one-on-ones against the opposition.

"Not every action was good for us, but his personality is very important to continue in the second half trying to do one-on-ones and break lines with his quality. He played with a very big personality for the 90 minutes, and with sometimes a good performance. And for him it's very important for his confidence."

Alexandre Lacazette scored the winning goal for Arsenal in a game that was otherwise mostly noteworthy for captain Laurent Koscielny making his return after seven months out with an Achilles injury.

Koscielny was taken off with 20 minutes left, but Emery said it's too soon to say whether he'll be ready to play again on Sunday against Southampton, when Arsenal are facing a centre-back crisis. First-choice duo Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Shkodran Mustafi are both suspended for the game, while Rob Holding has been ruled out for the season with a torn knee ligament.

"Today is another step for [Koscielny]. And we need to know tomorrow and Saturday how he is going to feel after this match, to see if Sunday we can use him to help us on the pitch," Emery said. "When he is coming back like today with us, I think every Arsenal supporter is happy, and so is the player.

"And then there is this process with him, to take confidence again, take rhythm by playing matches like today. And then we are going to continue this process maybe Sunday, but I want to wait tomorrow and Saturday how he will feel after this match."

The match against Qarabag was a largely meaningless affair as Arsenal had already clinched the group win and neither team had anything to play for. But Emery still opted to start Sokratis and Lacazette, along with the fit-again Mesut Ozil, and rejected the notion that it was a risky decision heading into the busy festive period.

Emery said: "First we need to have the mix in the first 11 with young players and players with experience. Because [the youngsters] can play better if you have with you also players to help you on the pitch.

"And for example Sokratis, he cannot play Sunday so he can play today. Lacazette, I think he needs rhythm, and it's not bad for him to play today."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Bukayo Saka "very big personality," in full debut - Emer

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Another London Nigerian promoted by agents. Hells noooo we don't want him. Let him tryout for the 3 stray lions first. Tanks but no tanks! If you've never taken Okada you shouldn't play for Nigeria ever, :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

I hope he picks us over England. He's going to be very good.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

niyi wrote:I hope he picks us over England. He's going to be very good.
I prefer definite conclusions,dont live in vain.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

The boy will need to follow likes of Messi and Ronaldo footstep,train hard and keep cool head.Dont allow money to influence your game.
The boy will go down if follow those step as the real deal,he might be a bigger star than Mbappe of PSG hopefully.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I know the boy dad really well, we went college together in london in the 80s! very proud of this lil kid! dad sacrificed a lot for his career, sure when it comes to making his choice between Nigeria and England, he will indeed make the right choice, if his dad had a choice, most likely will pick Nigeria

just to let you know, his dad is his agent!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Another London Nigerian promoted by agents. Hells noooo we don't want him. Let him tryout for the 3 stray lions first. Tanks but no tanks! If you've never taken Okada you shouldn't play for Nigeria ever, :thumbs:
Your qualification should be stricter, Emir. He has to have eaten gbegiri in Ilorin, been eaten by mosquitoes in Bayelsa, been attacked by armed robbers in Enugu, and survived at least two 12-hour road trips between Lagos and Benin! Okada my left foot!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

marko wrote:I know the boy dad really well, we went college together in london in the 80s! very proud of this lil kid! dad sacrificed a lot for his career, sure when it comes to making his choice between Nigeria and England, he will indeed make the right choice, if his dad had a choice, most likely will pick Nigeria

Invite his dad to CE abeg!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Won't make a difference.
Because of all the 'Noise' that the Nigerian press/media have been making about him being 'Nigerian', the English FA will use the 'catch and return' fishing approach, meaning they'll cap him once which will effectively negate his ability to ever play for Nigeria.
We (Nigerians) need to be more intelligent in how we go after these talents around the world, even though the Nigerian press/media aren't doing the country any good in this regard, as they are the real enemies here.
Damunk wrote:
marko wrote:I know the boy dad really well, we went college together in london in the 80s! very proud of this lil kid! dad sacrificed a lot for his career, sure when it comes to making his choice between Nigeria and England, he will indeed make the right choice, if his dad had a choice, most likely will pick Nigeria

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Polly wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Another London Nigerian promoted by agents. Hells noooo we don't want him. Let him tryout for the 3 stray lions first. Tanks but no tanks! If you've never taken Okada you shouldn't play for Nigeria ever, :thumbs:
Your qualification should be stricter, Emir. He has to have eaten gbegiri in Ilorin, been eaten by mosquitoes in Bayelsa, been attacked by armed robbers in Enugu, and survived at least two 12-hour road trips between Lagos and Benin! Okada my left foot!
There u go. Tainks jare. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Otitokoro wrote:Won't make a difference.
Because of all the 'Noise' that the Nigerian press/media have been making about him being 'Nigerian', the English FA will use the 'catch and return' fishing approach, meaning they'll cap him once which will effectively negate his ability to ever play for Nigeria.
We (Nigerians) need to be more intelligent in how we go after these talents around the world, even though the Nigerian press/media aren't doing the country any good in this regard, as they are the real enemies here.
Damunk wrote:

Will probably copy and show his dad this thread! His dad made some huge sacrifice when he was in the youth team, always travelling with him for matches and what not, even had to put aside his lucrative career as an real estate developer to ensure he went all the way

Whether he chooses to play for Nigeria or not is not that important, i think it is important he breaks into the first team and plays quite frequently, right now the sky is the limit!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Damunk wrote:

Hmmm when the Dad starts promoting his son and other wards he may/not have then we heap abuse on him ? ok o :sneaky: :sneaky: ...na joke i dey yoke o
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

I get your point but I wonder whether the English depend on how a player is covered in the Nigerian media before making a decision whether or not he should be capped by England. They have or should at least have effective means of determining whether a player warrants a cap to prevent a competitor from reaching out to the player. The scouting system ought to take care of that.
Damunk wrote:

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

In other news...Owen says he showed Ronaldo similarities at the same age ...

Source : https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/14/michael- ... o-8247469/

Make dem leave the young man o make im put head down grow his game sha
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

have seen this rodeo too many times
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Siddonlook11 wrote:In other news...Owen says he showed Ronaldo similarities at the same age ...

Source : https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/14/michael- ... o-8247469/

Make dem leave the young man o make im put head down grow his game sha
Yep England are on the case,it's time for Nigeria to grow up a stop begging for what you can produce yourself,if Micheal Owen is commenting on the boy who at 17 played for England U19 I'm guessing he's Englands!
I know I've hurt some feelings just when I stated that Tami Ibrahammer was gone!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

This one might not be a lost cause as far as i am concerned! His dad visits Nigeria quite frequently, at least 1-3 times a year, but all depends, like i said, the dad sacrificed his career for his son sake so its just about right that he gets something back, if he feels playing for England will be quite lucrative for his pocket, then so be it, the lil kid already driving an SUV haha, just the other day, he was having his naming ceremony, makes me feel old! So cool to see him all over the media! And for the right reasons

Marko
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

marko wrote:This one might not be a lost cause as far as i am concerned! His dad visits Nigeria quite frequently, at least 1-3 times a year, but all depends, like i said, the dad sacrificed his career for his son sake so its just about right that he gets something back, if he feels playing for England will be quite lucrative for his pocket, then so be it, the lil kid already driving an SUV haha, just the other day, he was having his naming ceremony, makes me feel old! So cool to see him all over the media! And for the right reasons

i used to think this Marko was a young pikin o
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
marko wrote:This one might not be a lost cause as far as i am concerned! His dad visits Nigeria quite frequently, at least 1-3 times a year, but all depends, like i said, the dad sacrificed his career for his son sake so its just about right that he gets something back, if he feels playing for England will be quite lucrative for his pocket, then so be it, the lil kid already driving an SUV haha, just the other day, he was having his naming ceremony, makes me feel old! So cool to see him all over the media! And for the right reasons

Haha, yes young at heart! Not as old as many people here, let me give a hint, mid 40s!

Marko
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

marko wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Haha, yes young at heart! Not as old as many people here, let me give a hint, mid 40s!

college/uni in the 80's...can figure that out. I used to think you were in your 20's like Tbite
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
marko wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

college/uni in the 80's...can figure that out. I used to think you were in your 20's like Tbite
Been in CE right from day 1, 24K posts lol

Marko
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Its a serious matter.
My nephew had a promising career beckoning from Crystal Palace and the bigger London clubs were on his case.
Then suddenly, after years of serious sacrifice by his mum and dad, he woke up one day and said he was "tired of football". He was 15 years old and his dad especially was gutted.
Even I had to help out from time to time when dad couldn't get him to games. That's how I met Chuks Aneke and his dad, when they played Arsenal youth teams a few times.
Its a huge gamble.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Chief Dr. Ogbunigwe, no one who joined the new CE in 2003 is a young pikin anymore.

Most of us were here for at least 3 years before the new forum wahala.

That was 18 years ago.
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.