Chuba Akpom declares for Nigeria - Curious case...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Chuba Akpom declares for Nigeria - Curious case...

Post by Otitokoro »

In a recent Owngoal Report, Chuba Akpom declared his allegiance to the Super Eagles and has made himself available for selection for the AFCON 2019 Nigerian squad.

Yes, many have claimed he was an Arsenal kid protege while at Arsenal (he did show flashes of brilliance) severally. He also has been capped dozens of times for various England youth teams. However, he never was able to make the cut at the 'big club' level, unlike Iwobi who was able to. He was loaned out by Arsenal 6 times and now he is with PAOK Thessaloniki, on a permanent deal.

I honestly struggle to see what value proposition he will bring to the SE at this time, considering he is yet to be fully settled at PAOK (scoring 2 goals in 12 appearances). He is 6.0 ft tall and has the bulk to withstand the African game and most of all is quite pacy and a highly intelligent player. However, I am stumped on this one...

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chuba Akpom declares for Nigeria - Curious case...

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Me too. I declare for Nigeria :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Otitokoro wrote:In a recent Owngoal Report, Chuba Akpom declared his allegiance to the Super Eagles and has made himself available for selection for the AFCON 2019 Nigerian squad.

Yes, many have claimed he was an Arsenal kid protege while at Arsenal (he did show flashes of brilliance) severally. He also has been capped dozens of times for various England youth teams. However, he never was able to make the cut at the 'big club' level, unlike Iwobi who was able to. He was loaned out by Arsenal 6 times and now he is with PAOK Thessaloniki, on a permanent deal.

I honestly struggle to see what value proposition he will bring to the SE at this time, considering he is yet to be fully settled at PAOK (scoring 2 goals in 12 appearances). He is 6.0 ft tall and has the bulk to withstand the African game and most of all is quite pacy and a highly intelligent player. However, I am stumped on this one...

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Each time POAK is shown to play he is on the bench & usually does not get to play. Yesterday same thing; you get tired of waiting for him to be called to play.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:In a recent Owngoal Report, Chuba Akpom declared his allegiance to the Super Eagles and has made himself available for selection for the AFCON 2019 Nigerian squad.

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Unlike the popular and cynical view that there are those who want any "hey you!' playing in England or abroad to walk into the SE, it is obvious that the benchmark for quality of eligible Super Eagles players is rising by the day.
Akpom cannot compete at the level currently being displayed by the Kanus, Chukwuezes, Iwobis. Isaacs and Osimhiens.
Even Kelechi, Simon Moses, Onyekuru, Bonaventure are having to justify their positions and sadly for Akpom, he probably won't even get a look in.
He is probably close to his peak already while younger guns like Eze, Ejaria and Ojo are on the rise.

Our defence is easier to 'penetrate'nowadays by newbies than our midfield and strike force.
But he could try and displace Ighalo which tbh is easier said than done.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Me too. I declare for Nigeria :laugh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, we all have it
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Chuba should be given a chance. He has the talent to succeed.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

But the question remains: why should he be given a look in, when there are 'bigger fish' out there that present a greater value proposition to be looked at? What value is there for Nigeria to invest in him, at the expense of other, more productive talent out there, who are chopping at the bit to get an SE call up and are producing at their clubs?
The fact is that he has repeatedly failed to establish himself, even at lowly Greek league team PAOK Thessaloniki (only 2 out of 12 games this season).
Nkume wrote:Chuba should be given a chance. He has the talent to succeed.
Last edited by Otitokoro on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

And this talent that failed to see him play for his club is to be horned in the national team.... Pleassee my ogenne maestro,it does not work that way. Let him go and get himself a good club career we will invite him based on his performance not because he made himself available
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

oloye wrote:
And this talent that failed to see him play for his club is to be horned in the national team.... Pleassee my ogenne maestro,it does not work that way. Let him go and get himself a good club career we will invite him based on his performance not because he made himself available
GBAM!!!!
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Much welcome to play provided he can show his qualities in the Olympic team
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:roll: i should get a chance too .smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Just make yourself available and you will be fine for selection
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Me too. I declare for Nigeria :laugh:
WE NOR WANT! :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

oloye wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Just make yourself available and you will be fine for selection
oh come on bros..we don't need another cloggy piece of isht in the stadium latrine na! :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

oloye wrote:
Thank you Dean :clap: :clap: :clap: ......................Nkume is a certied mugu :D in all things, this is a fellow that twice gave Rochas a 'chance' to loot his state's treasury.
Nkume = an unrepentant mugu. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote:
Finish.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kpom!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
Finish.
My bros...I don't think the boy is silly enough to think that he will stroll into the NT, there's nothing wrong in declaring himself "available" now the ball is in his court to prove that he is good enough.
Last edited by airwolex on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

zee wrote:
oloye wrote:
Thank you Dean :clap: :clap: :clap: ......................Nkume is a certied mugu :D in all things, this is a fellow that twice gave Rochas a 'chance' to loot his state's treasury.
Nkume = an unrepentant mugu. :lol: :lol: :lol:
this Zee sef :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I still remember him doing Yanga when he was first courted by Pinnick. Men see how time changes
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

...given a chance by who? His club or Nigeria? :?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

highbury wrote:I still remember him doing Yanga when he was first courted by Pinnick. Men see how time changes
.. That says a lot about Pinnick judgement.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
Finish.
My bros...I don't think the boy is silly enough to think that he will stroll into the NT, there's nothing wrong in declaring himself "available" now the ball is in his court to prove that he is good enough.
Well to start with Wolex, if you read carefully you will notice that the post was not directed at Chuba. Secondly the post is not saying he should not be given a look. The post was an answer to Nkume's chant to give the boy a chance... Give him a chance on the basis of what?