Chuba Akpom declares for Nigeria - Curious case...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Chuba Akpom declares for Nigeria - Curious case...

Post by mystic »

No surprise here. But talk of the Super Eagles and the African Nations Cup is premature. He has a lot to do yet to deserve national team attention.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

oloye wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
Nkume wrote:Chuba should be given a chance. He has the talent to succeed.
And this talent that failed to see him play for his club is to be horned in the national team.... Pleassee my ogenne maestro,it does not work that way. Let him go and get himself a good club career we will invite him based on his performance not because he made himself available
Finish.
My bros...I don't think the boy is silly enough to think that he will stroll into the NT, there's nothing wrong in declaring himself "available" now the ball is in his court to prove that he is good enough.
Well to start with Wolex, if you read carefully you will notice that the post was not directed at Chuba. Secondly the post is not saying he should not be given a look. The post was an answer to Nkume's chant to give the boy a chance... Give him a chance on the basis of what?
:thumb:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Otitokoro wrote:In a recent Owngoal Report, Chuba Akpom declared his allegiance to the Super Eagles and has made himself available for selection for the AFCON 2019 Nigerian squad.

Yes, many have claimed he was an Arsenal kid protege while at Arsenal (he did show flashes of brilliance) severally. He also has been capped dozens of times for various England youth teams. However, he never was able to make the cut at the 'big club' level, unlike Iwobi who was able to. He was loaned out by Arsenal 6 times and now he is with PAOK Thessaloniki, on a permanent deal.

I honestly struggle to see what value proposition he will bring to the SE at this time, considering he is yet to be fully settled at PAOK (scoring 2 goals in 12 appearances). He is 6.0 ft tall and has the bulk to withstand the African game and most of all is quite pacy and a highly intelligent player. However, I am stumped on this one...

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

He made himself available. Fine!
Now, it is left for the coaches to let him know the criteria that will make him attractive to the coaches.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:In a recent Owngoal Report, Chuba Akpom declared his allegiance to the Super Eagles and has made himself available for selection for the AFCON 2019 Nigerian squad.

Yes, many have claimed he was an Arsenal kid protege while at Arsenal (he did show flashes of brilliance) severally. He also has been capped dozens of times for various England youth teams. However, he never was able to make the cut at the 'big club' level, unlike Iwobi who was able to. He was loaned out by Arsenal 6 times and now he is with PAOK Thessaloniki, on a permanent deal.

I honestly struggle to see what value proposition he will bring to the SE at this time, considering he is yet to be fully settled at PAOK (scoring 2 goals in 12 appearances). He is 6.0 ft tall and has the bulk to withstand the African game and most of all is quite pacy and a highly intelligent player. However, I am stumped on this one...

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Now, it is left for the coaches to let him know the criteria that will make him attractive to the coaches.
Many folks, starting with the OP, confuse his "eligibility" to play for us with a formal invitation. Otitokoro posts that he "declared" for us, but starts a debate about being "stumped" on his value to the SE.

I am also eligible to play for Nigeria, but that doesn't mean Rohr will invite me :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Many folks, starting with the OP, confuse his "eligibility" to play for us with a formal invitation. Otitokoro posts that he "declared" for us, but starts a debate about being "stumped" on his value to the SE.

I am also eligible to play for Nigeria, but that doesn't mean Rohr will invite me :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: you need to declare on Owngoal oh!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Great point, Chief.
My being 'stumped' is based on the fact that I do like the kid, but reality suggests that he currently does not stack up well with his current competition in the SE strike line.
Regarding Rohr inviting you, as you rightfully stated, 'ain't gonna ever happen'! :laugh: :laugh:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Otitokoro wrote:Great point, Chief.
My being 'stumped' is based on the fact that I do like the kid, but reality suggests that he currently does not stack up well with his current competition in the SE strike line.
Regarding Rohr inviting you, as you rightfully stated, 'ain't gonna ever happen'! :laugh: :laugh:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Don't say that. 'Cup of Nations' may be out of the question, but Rohr may yet invite him for a 'Cup of Coffee'.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

airwolex wrote:
Kpom!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I watched Chuba and Iwobi since they were 9 years old. Chuba should not be written off just yet. He is a superb athele, with the talent that needs experience and understanding.

I see a lot of people passing comments without having seen the player or understanding his game before considering if he has something we currently lack in our SE. Guys, we need to be more considerate of young talent. No matter what your personal preferences or prejudices never write off a young player.

Abeg una, sometimes what young people need is a chance. If you understand Chuba like I do, you will give him a chance. However, Chuba has to earn his chance by performing at club level. The player knows this already.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:
I watched Chuba and Iwobi since they were 9 years old. Chuba should not be written off just yet. He is a superb athele, with the talent that needs experience and understanding.

I see a lot of people passing comments without having seen the player or understanding his game before considering if he has something we currently lack in our SE. Guys, we need to be more considerate of young talent. No matter what your personal preferences or prejudices never write off a young player.

Abeg una, sometimes what young people need is a chance. If you understand Chuba like I do, you will give him a chance. However, Chuba has to earn his chance by performing at club level. The player knows this already.
Waffi, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd be interested in your opinion on why Alex and Chuba's careers went in opposite directions.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:

Waffi, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd be interested in your opinion on why Alex and Chuba's careers went in opposite directions.
Luck!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:

Mavor please don't make me laugh, he is what we currently need, on what basis, what you saw and no one else have seen including Arsenal?

Let him prove it on the field. Same way we were regaled with the exploit of one Tammy Abrahams.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Why? As if we don't have players better than him at the moment. If Chuba is a midfielder or defender I can understand.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

highbury wrote:I still remember him doing Yanga when he was first courted by Pinnick. Men see how time changes
Imagine
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

mystic wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Great point, Chief.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Thoughts?

Goal Interview

Don't say that. 'Cup of Nations' may be out of the question, but Rohr may yet invite him for a 'Cup of Coffee'.
Abi o? me sef don declare for Nigeria, despite being eligible for both Russia and the US of A :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: The ball is firmly in Rohr's court now...
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Looks like its official now.
His form has improved for PAOK and could present us with additional strike options in our stable of strikers: Osimhen, Maja, Akpom (and maybe Tammy?)
Chuba Akpom: Ex-England youth star opts to play for Nigeria
By Oluwashina Okeleji

Football Writer, Nigeria
Chuba Akpom

Chuba Akpom was at Arsenal from the age of six until he signed for Greek side PAOK when he was 21
Former England youth international Chuba Akpom says he has now pledged his international allegiance to the country of his parents Nigeria.

The 23-year-old striker who plays in Greece for PAOK is eligible to play for the Super Eagles as he holds dual-nationality and has not played for England at senior level.

In March 2017 ex-Arsenal youth player Akpom trained with the Nigeria senior side at Barnet alongside then Chelsea defender Ola Aina and now hopes to line up with his life-long friend Alex Iwobi for the West African country.

"I've only just recently switched my allegiance, so I've signed the documents and hopefully in the next few weeks it will be approved to enable me play for Nigeria," Akpom told BBC Sport.

"I've been wanting to do that for many years now but not many people know this. It's just been a matter of sorting it out, which is now in a process. I'm looking forward to it.

"It was a personal decision. I'm Nigerian and my whole family feel very Nigerian and it will be nice to represent Nigeria.

"It will also be nice to link up with Alex [Iwobi] again and play for the national team. We started playing when we was younger together and to make that step to play for the national team together will be amazing."

London-born Akpom scored 18 goals in 41 youth caps for England from under-16 to under-21 level.

He joined Arsenal at the age of six and spent time on loan with Brentford, Coventry, Nottingham Forest, Hull and Brighton, but failed to break into the Gunners' first team.

A final loan spell at Belgian side Sint-Truiden resulted in six goals in 16 games and after six different clubs over five seasons, the academy graduate managed just 12 appearances for his boyhood club before heading out to Greece on a permanent deal in August 2018.

He provided six goals and four assists as PAOK went unbeaten to seal the 2018/19 Greek title as well as the only goal in the FA Cup win against AEK Athens to complete a dream double.

Following Iwobi
Now established in Greece and with three goals in eight matches this season, Akpom would love to follow in the footsteps of Iwobi.

"I wasn't surprised because at the time he wasn't playing for England, he came out of nowhere and he started playing for Arsenal and from there he just progressed, so I wasn't surprised when he picked to play for Nigeria," said Akpom.

"It was the better decision to make, now he's played in the World Cup and the Africa Cup of Nations. I've always said that I'd like to play with him again for Nigeria, we've always spoke about that.

"We've played together since we was five and six years old, we grew up together. It took me a while to settle down and to get used to the environment in Greece.

"Going to play abroad and in another league has helped me, but I hope to take my career to the next level with Nigeria."

Nigeria have previously succeeded in convincing former England-born players like Sone Aluko and Ola Aina to represent the West African nation.

They have also persuaded London-born duo of Josh Maja and Joe Aribo, who plays for Scottish giants Rangers. The latter scored on his debut against Ukraine this month.

His teammate and Liverpool's loanee Sheyi Ojo also told the BBC that he would love to represent Nigeria if they approach him.

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

I hope Chuba gets his chance. The more, the merrier.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scoring a whopping 6 goals in the Greek league is good enough for an SE call? Mschew....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:Scoring a whopping 6 goals in the Greek league is good enough for an SE call? Mschew....
Not necessarily.
For me this story is of a slightly different significance: we might be witnessing the early rumblings of an avalanche of Nigerian talent around the world opting to play for the SE.

Nigerian talent is in abundance around the world, and believe me, it is actually increasing.
You just need to take a look at the youth ranks of the top teams in western Europe.
Even the England national youth teams are spiced with a healthy dose of Nigerian names.

It is just occurring to me now that of all the footballing nations of the world (ie countries that have football as their primary sport) Nigerian might be the most populous.
So this is not going to slow down any time soon and there will not be enough transformers for those who have a problem with it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Scoring a whopping 6 goals in the Greek league is good enough for an SE call? Mschew....
Not necessarily.
For me this story is of a slightly different significance: it might be the early rumblings of a global avalanche of Nigerian talent opting to play for the SE.

Nigerian talent is in abundance around the world, and believe me, it is actually increasing.
You just need to take a look at the youth ranks of the top teams in western Europe.
Even the England national youth teams are spiced with a healthy dose of Nigerian names.

It is not going to slow down and there will not be enough transformers for those who have a problem with it.
I was looking at the Arsenal teamsheet yesterday, there were about three Nigerian kids on the bench. We really are going to form the backbone of England's next generation.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Not necessarily.
For me this story is of a slightly different significance: it might be the early rumblings of a global avalanche of Nigerian talent opting to play for the SE.

It is not going to slow down and there will not be enough transformers for those who have a problem with it.
I was looking at the Arsenal teamsheet yesterday, there were about three Nigerian kids on the bench. We really are going to form the backbone of England's next generation.

All these kids wont play for England main team. You don't seem to get it.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Not necessarily.
For me this story is of a slightly different significance: we might be witnessing the early rumblings of an avalanche of Nigerian talent around the world opting to play for the SE.

It is just occurring to me now that of all the footballing nations of the world (ie countries that have football as their primary sport) Nigerian might be the most populous.
So this is not going to slow down any time soon and there will not be enough transformers for those who have a problem with it.
You mean an avalanche of below average Nigerian talent abi? Then I agree with you...but how does that help SE?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

bret- hart wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Not necessarily.

All these kids wont play for England main team. You don't seem to get it.
They might not but some will.