Nigeria U-23 Team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Nigeria U-23 Team

Post by Damunk »

The AFCON U23 qualifiers start in a few weeks and the tournament itself also serves as the qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics.
Interestingly, probably 60% of the SE are under 23 and as they seem to be playing fairly regularly for their clubsides, one wonders:
a) Whether they'd be available for the qualifiers at all. Is the tournament FIFA-backed and are the players compelled to honour an invitation, because we know the Olympics proper isn't.
b) Who are the likely players? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kalu has been nominated captain.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the eligible and top performing players;

Samuel Kalu
Michael Kingsley
Samu Chukwueze
Isaac Success
Kelechi Iheanacho
Henry Onyekuru
Ola Aina
Alex Iwobi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen

These eleven are already part of the SE setup to various degrees.
There are many more coming thru that are knocking on the door both at home and abroad.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria U-23 Team

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

No need to waste time bro. The NFF has already declared that SE players will not be in the u23 team with the exception of Kalu. The new team will be made up of local players and euro based who have NOT played for SE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:No need to waste time bro. The NFF has already declared that SE players will not be in the u23 team with the exception of Kalu. The new team will be made up of local players and euro based who have NOT played for SE.
Wow.
That's interesting.
But then, maybe local players will use the opportunity to stake a claim.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:No need to waste time bro. The NFF has already declared that SE players will not be in the u23 team with the exception of Kalu. The new team will be made up of local players and euro based who have NOT played for SE.
My opinion has not changed much on this issue. For me, the U23 is a more advanced developmental squad and I really do not think we should load it up with guys who are starters in the SE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:The AFCON U23 qualifiers start in a few weeks and the tournament itself also serves as the qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics.
Interestingly, probably 60% of the SE are under 23 and as they seem to be playing fairly regularly for their clubsides, one wonders:
a) Whether they'd be available for the qualifiers at all. Is the tournament FIFA-backed and are the players compelled to honour an invitation, because we know the Olympics proper isn't.
b) Who are the likely players? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kalu has been nominated captain.

Off the top of my head, these are some of the eligible and top performing players;

Samuel Kalu
Michael Kingsley
Samu Chukwueze
Isaac Success
Kelechi Iheanacho
Henry Onyekuru
Ola Aina
Alex Iwobi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen

There are many more coming thru that are knocking on the door both at home and abroad.
No!

Furthermore, the early indications from the NFF is that regular SE players will NOT be part of the U23 squad (albeit OwnGoal.com has been speculating that Samuel Kalu will lead the team).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

BTW, if Ndidi ends up playing at the 2020 Olympics (assuming Nigeria qualifies), it would mean (all things being equal) 3 straight years without a substantial summer break - 2018 (WC), 2019 (AFCON) and 2020! I don't think that's necessarily healthy for anyone.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ola Aina has not improved since his days in Chelsea youth team. We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game. Eze and Kalu came from nowhere and grabbed a spot on the team. Meanwhile those 2 have been given chances after chances.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:The AFCON U23 qualifiers start in a few weeks and the tournament itself also serves as the qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics.

Samuel Kalu
Michael Kingsley
Samu Chukwueze
Isaac Success
Kelechi Iheanacho
Henry Onyekuru
Ola Aina
Alex Iwobi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen

No!

Furthermore, the early indications from the NFF is that regular SE players will NOT be part of the U23 squad (albeit OwnGoal.com has been speculating that Samuel Kalu will lead the team).
Kongi has already pointed this out.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote:Ola Aina has not improved since his days in Chelsea youth team. We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game. Eze and Kalu came from nowhere and grabbed a spot on the team. Meanwhile those 2 have been given chances after chances.
Not sure you have been following Ola's progress closely enough, but he seems to have locked down the RWB spot at Torino and is playing vs Juventus as we speak now.
Torino are sixth in Serie A.
If that isn't progress from the "Chelsea youth team", then I'm not sure what is.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:Ola Aina has not improved since his days in Chelsea youth team. We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game. Eze and Kalu came from nowhere and grabbed a spot on the team. Meanwhile those 2 have been given chances after chances.
Not sure you have been following Ola's progress closely enough, but he seems to have locked down the RWB spot at Torino and is playing vs Juventus as we speak now.
If that isn't progress from the "Chelsea youth team", then I'm not sure what is.
That is good for him then. But he hasn't improved for Nigeria. Onyekuru is a regular starter and has been so for a while, yet he has failed to impress for Nigeria.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Yet he playz for Torino while your boy George Abbey was a glorified Semi pro player at his peak.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Abeg they should leave Samuel Kalu alone...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bret- hart wrote:

Yet he playz for Torino while your boy George Abbey was a glorified Semi pro player at his peak.
But held down the right back spot for Nigeria till he retired.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

To be honest, neither Aina or Onyekuru have had a good game for Nigeria despite our expectations.
I am happy
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

1naija wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

But held down the right back spot for Nigeria till he retired.

No he was a place holder until Chidi Odiah showed up.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Gotti wrote:BTW, if Ndidi ends up playing at the 2020 Olympics (assuming Nigeria qualifies), it would mean (all things being equal) 3 straight years without a substantial summer break - 2018 (WC), 2019 (AFCON) and 2020! I don't think that's necessarily healthy for anyone.

Ndidi isn't age eligible for the 2020 Olympics anyway. Neither is Ihenacho, Success, Aina or Iwobi.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

mystic wrote:
Gotti wrote:BTW, if Ndidi ends up playing at the 2020 Olympics (assuming Nigeria qualifies), it would mean (all things being equal) 3 straight years without a substantial summer break - 2018 (WC), 2019 (AFCON) and 2020! I don't think that's necessarily healthy for anyone.

Ndidi isn't age eligible for the 2020 Olympics anyway. Neither is Ihenacho, Success, Aina or Iwobi.
aren't you allowed one over-aged player any more
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:
mystic wrote:

aren't you allowed one over-aged player any more
Three.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mystic wrote:

Jan 1st 1997 would be the cut-off point, apart from the 3 allowed 'over-age' players.

So you are absolutely right. Ndidi would miss out by 2 weeks, both Kelechi and Aina by 3 months, Iwobi by 7 months and Success by a whole year.

I was basing my calculations on the 2019 U23 AFCON, rather than the 2020 Olympics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Bournemouth’s Ofoborh would be a good fit the squad!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

1naija wrote:
Damunk wrote:
That is good for him then. But he hasn't improved for Nigeria. Onyekuru is a regular starter and has been so for a while, yet he has failed to impress for Nigeria.
The problem is that you haven’t grown mentally or intellectually all these years. You keep using the same juvenile logic in your arguments. How many total minutes has Onyekuru played for Nigeria? You have no basis to evaluate him in any meaningful way yet you presume to reach such sweeping conclusions about him :roll: :!:

Cheers.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Tony abegi leave that grammar for bully. How many games does onyekuru needs to prove that he is capable of displacing experienced players? Do you think super eagles is some local team that a player has the luxury of underperforming at multiple games and still being recalled? No, we don’t. Whenever you get to an already made establishment and you get a shot, you must capitalize on your chances and make the best out of it instead of using excuses excuses and more excuses. The likes of Samuel Kalu, obagoal, Musa all made an instant impression at SE and if onyekuru intends on being recalled, he needs to do the same. He has gotten many chances and hasn’t capitalized on it while some like “nwakaeme” only got 1 chance and wasn’t recalled again.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Bournemouth’s Ofoborh would be a good fit the squad!

Oforboh trained with the Flying Eagles earlier in the year and is in line to be at the U20 World Cup if we qualify (not sure if he will be released for the African Championship, otherwise he'd be in the mix for that as well).