Nigeria U-23 Team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria U-23 Team

Post by mystic »

john12 wrote:Tony abegi leave that grammar for bully. How many games does onyekuru needs to prove that he is capable of displacing experienced players? Do you think super eagles is some local team that a player has the luxury of underperforming at multiple games and still being recalled? No, we don’t. Whenever you get to an already made establishment and you get a shot, you must capitalize on your chances and make the best out of it instead of using excuses excuses and more excuses. The likes of Samuel Kalu, obagoal, Musa all made an instant impression at SE and if onyekuru intends on being recalled, he needs to do the same. He has gotten many chances and hasn’t capitalized on it while some like “nwakaeme” only got 1 chance and wasn’t recalled again.

It is not every national team player that hits the ground running. Gernot Rohr and his staff obviously see something in him that is worth giving multiple opportunities. Otherwise they would have moved on from him as quickly as they did Nwakaeme and some others.

In my view Onyekuru is a super talent and players with the gifts that he has don't readily abound. That said there are flaws in his game which he must own up to and work on if he is to become a well rounded player.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Mystic we understand that, however when people were constantly criticizing our coach for not inviting him for the World Cup and adulating him to the highest standard then he needs to be an instant hit or be dropped. I remember people saying we should drop world class “Musa” for him, I remember agents/intermediaries saying our coach needs to be terminated for not calling him. If onyekuru wasn’t hyped to the highest standards then he needs the benefit of doubt but when you’re rated to the highest standards there’s no luxury of time to prove yourself, we need instant performance.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:No need to waste time bro. The NFF has already declared that SE players will not be in the u23 team with the exception of Kalu. The new team will be made up of local players and euro based who have NOT played for SE.
I think the NFF made a good decision - if what bros Kongi - said is true. Why use players for the qualifiers who will NOT be available when the REAL thing (Olympic) starts?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

john12 wrote:Mystic we understand that, however when people were constantly criticizing our coach for not inviting him for the World Cup and adulating him to the highest standard then he needs to be an instant hit or be dropped. I remember people saying we should drop world class “Musa” for him, I remember agents/intermediaries saying our coach needs to be terminated for not calling him. If onyekuru wasn’t hyped to the highest standards then he needs the benefit of doubt but when you’re rated to the highest standards there’s no luxury of time to prove yourself, we need instant performance.

The opinion of fans should never be the driver of national team decisions. The nonsense that he should have been taken to the World Cup is just that - nonsense. This has nothing to do with the evaluation of Onyekuru by our national team coaches.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Dammy wrote:To be honest, neither Aina or Onyekuru have had a good game for Nigeria despite our expectations.
No doubt they haven't really impressed so far, but they are young players (21 and 22) playing at a consistent high level at least club-wise which will only see them improve. They're both important as squad players, they just need to find their groove
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mystic wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Bournemouth’s Ofoborh would be a good fit the squad!
Oforboh trained with the Flying Eagles earlier in the year and is in line to be at the U20 World Cup if we qualify (not sure if he will be released for the African Championship, otherwise he'd be in the mix for that as well).
He played in the Flying Eagles’ friendly against Egypt U20...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
mystic wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Bournemouth’s Ofoborh would be a good fit the squad!
Oforboh trained with the Flying Eagles earlier in the year and is in line to be at the U20 World Cup if we qualify (not sure if he will be released for the African Championship, otherwise he'd be in the mix for that as well).
He played in the Flying Eagles’ friendly against Egypt U20...
Talking about the U20 preps, we played the WAFU U-20 final today and apparently lost 2-0 to Senegal.
But the site reporting the result get virus.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
1naija wrote:
Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:Ola Aina has not improved since his days in Chelsea youth team. We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game. Eze and Kalu came from nowhere and grabbed a spot on the team. Meanwhile those 2 have been given chances after chances.
Not sure you have been following Ola's progress closely enough, but he seems to have locked down the RWB spot at Torino and is playing vs Juventus as we speak now.
Torino are sixth in Serie A.
If that isn't progress from the "Chelsea youth team", then I'm not sure what is.
That is good for him then. But he hasn't improved for Nigeria. Onyekuru is a regular starter and has been so for a while, yet he has failed to impress for Nigeria.
The problem is that you haven’t grown mentally or intellectually all these years. You keep using the same juvenile logic in your arguments. How many total minutes has Onyekuru played for Nigeria? You have no basis to evaluate him in any meaningful way yet you presume to reach such sweeping conclusions about him :roll: :!:

Cheers.
You are another clown. For you to say Onyekuru has not been given enough chances in the SE proves that not every person becomes wiser with age. How many chances did Ndidi, Iwobi, Eze, kalu etc get to lock down their positions in the team? If anything, it's Onyekuru that has been given the most chances to succeed and has failed to do so. Nwaksme, Umar, Nwakali, and that fake yall Kanu, Simi all wish they had such many chances to prove to themselves.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

1naija wrote:Ola Aina has not improved since his days in Chelsea youth team. We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game. Eze and Kalu came from nowhere and grabbed a spot on the team. Meanwhile those 2 have been given chances after chances.
Have you watched Torino lately?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

wale1974 wrote:

You know the answer to that question. Its a big fat NO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

wale1974 wrote:
He's referring to their SE performances.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Hmmmm. Better leave him to defend himself.
"We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game"
That sounds to me like club form he's referring to.
They can't show they have "stepped up their game" in the SE if you don't invite them. They can only do it at club level, which they are doing.

Meanwhile, when did Eze come to "grab a spot on the team"?
I think 'Samu' is the player in mind, not Eze who hasn't even been invited.

Seems Daddy 1Naira is having a 'senior moment'. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Hmmmm. Better leave him to defend himself.
"We should stop considering him and Onyekuru for Nigeria team until they step up their game"
That sounds to me like club form he's referring to.
They can't show they have "stepped up their game" in the SE if you don't invite them. They can only do it at club level, which they are doing.

Meanwhile, when did Eze come to "grab a spot on the team"?
I think 'Samu' is the player in mind, not Eze who hasn't even been invited.

Seems Daddy 1Naira is having a 'senior moment'. :D
You are much older than me.

I specifically mentioned their performances for Nigeria. Onyekuru whom I also mentioned has consistently performed at a higher level for his clubs, so what higher level am I expecting him to perform at his club? I dont even know half the clubs our players play at talkless how they perform there. Ola Aina was not clubless the times he was selected for Nigeria, so why did he perform poorly when selected? Was he clubless during the WC squad selection?

The funny thing is if you want to be honest with yourself, Aina will not be among your top 3 right backs for Nigeria now . You should put the players SE career ahead of your playing to the gallery. I supported Aina to be called up to the SE while he was in the Chelsea youth team, so why wont I support him now if he stepped up his game? I bet you haven't seen his games at Torino either!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:Talking about the U20 preps, we played the WAFU U-20 final today and apparently lost 2-0 to Senegal.
But the site reporting the result get virus.
Yes, we lost handily...
But this will NOT be the squad that will play in the 2019 U20 AFCON tournament.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL