World cup or Uefa Champ League, which one.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: World cup or Uefa Champ League, which one.....

Post by ohsee »

wale1974 wrote:
ohsee wrote:
bushboy wrote:The Champions League is clearly the better quality of the two. You will without question see the very best players in the world on showcase. Unlike the world cup where the likes of Uchebo and other useless players from Oceania and other regions can play. The CL is basically the World cup minus minnows. I would obviously rather watch the world cup because its happens less often and it is a global spectacle. But thers is no denying the quality of football in the CL is far higher than watching Saudi Arabia v Honduras or other such matchups.
Really? What do you call Porto, Lyon, Schalke and Tottenham? What are they doing in the final 16?
Besides Spurs have you actually watched the rest played before?
Yup. Saw Lyon beat City, and draw them. Do I have to see the others play to know they are minnows? That is like asking if I have seen the Bredas play to know they will never, ever, ever, ever win the World Cup and are Black Star minnows. :rotf:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Kabalega wrote:
ohsee wrote:
bushboy wrote:The Champions League is clearly the better quality of the two. You will without question see the very best players in the world on showcase. Unlike the world cup where the likes of Uchebo and other useless players from Oceania and other regions can play. The CL is basically the World cup minus minnows. I would obviously rather watch the world cup because its happens less often and it is a global spectacle. But thers is no denying the quality of football in the CL is far higher than watching Saudi Arabia v Honduras or other such matchups.
Really? What do you call Porto, Lyon, Schalke and Tottenham? What are they doing in the final 16?
You forgot ManU
Chief, Man U is not a minnow, at least on paper. They've won the CL in recent years, have players of potential, and have a great coach who knows how to pull rabbits from a hat, even though he is not doing in this season.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

toyin133 wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Wash out your dirty mouth with bleach :evil: :evil:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chief, Tottenham will never, never, never, never win the CL. :lol: :lol: They are the minnow of minnows. :lol:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
kajifu wrote:I cant believe you guys falling for the thread starter trap....
He is looking for reason to say Messi is the greatest since he never win the world cup.
He wants to used the CL to say he has won it many times so he is the greatest,Pele never win it,dam how you guys fall for his trap but thank god no one is picking Cl over world cup and he has not post since open the thread.
I thought it was just me who realized it. There's one thing about Messi fanboys I can't stand is that they're trying to do anything to convince the everybody that he's the greatest of all time even if it means belittling the prestigious World Cup. I can't wait for the 2026 World Cup when Messi is an old bench player and Argentina wins it with little input from him for them to tell us about that glorious World Cup he won.
:lol:
Chief, Argentina will win the World Cup with Messi watching on TV from a retirement home. :lol: :lol: I firmly believe that they do not win because of him. :lol:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

pajimoh wrote:
ohsee wrote:
My senior, dis ya comment get as e be o. The WC is still the pinnacle of football but the likes of Spurs, Lyon etc full of international players are still far better than some WC teams
:rotf:
Chief, you be my guy, but I have to speak truth na. :lol:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

pajimoh wrote:
ohsee wrote:
My senior, dis ya comment get as e be o. The WC is still the pinnacle of football but the likes of Spurs, Lyon etc full of international players are still far better than some WC teams
:rotf: :rotf: :roof:

even the R&R king comes on EN and tells it like it is

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohsee wrote:
Ohsee,

I was shaking my head on that one oooo! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: But supporters of those clubs go Lynch you. Trust me. Why you no include Arsenal?

For me, I think the ECL certainly matches the WC in the best players on display. However, it can never match the WC on the value of the WC in terms of how much joy it brings to large number of nationalistic fans across the world and how it holds the entire globe spell bound. That will never be matched except if the ECL is re-conceptualized.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

You must be joking to have RSB (and even Dortmund) on that list of "lousy teams".:shock: Just because a team is not super-charged with Arab oil money does not make them "lousy". That Red Star team that won it in 1991 was perhaps one of the most talented teams to ever win it. We do not know how far they would have gone because the team was broken up by the war in Yugoslavia. If you want to know how outrageously talented that team was, look at the following players in that team, then look at the clubs they joined after the war broke out/leaving Red Star;

Dejan Savicevic, Sinisa Mihajlovic, Vladimir Jugovic, Robert Prosinecki, Darko Pancev, Dragisa Binic, Miodrag Belodedici.

Pancev was the European golden boot winner. Keep in mind that this was in the era when the European cup was a straight knockout and before the era of seeded groups that protected the best teams. Read more about them here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=292592&p=5365335&hi ... +#p5365335

Also, the Dortmund team that won the CL had the European Footballer of the Year in their team, and they beat Juventus in the final (the same Juventus team that reach 3 successive CL finals with Del Piero, Vialli, Ravanelli, et al in their team). Dortmund also had two World Cup winners in their team!
ohsee wrote:
The real deal wrote:.....is more difficult to win ?
Which one would you watch if you have to pick one?
Some lousy teams have won the Champions League like Porto, Red Star Belgrade and Borussia Dortmund. How many lousy countries have won the World Cup? The World Cup is won by the top footballing countries--minnows don't wangle their way to the cup as sometimes happens in the Champs League.

The World Cup becomes serious business after the round of 16, a time when the best nations calmly brush aside the pretenders. The winning countries generally have the best defenders and defences--look at the central defence partnership of Umtiti and Varane: what Champions League team would not want to have that? The winning countries are usually capable of stopping Messi, and they stop him quite easily (same goes for Ronaldo). Champs League defences cannot.

I'd pick the World Cup anytime.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

World cup all day everyday for me.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Enugu II wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Ohsee,

I was shaking my head on that one oooo! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: But supporters of those clubs go Lynch you. Trust me. Why you no include Arsenal?

For me, I think the ECL certainly matches the WC in the best players on display. However, it can never match the WC on the value of the WC in terms of how much joy it brings to large number of nationalistic fans across the world and how it holds the entire globe spell bound. That will never be matched except if the ECL is re-conceptualized.
:D
Oga Enugu II, shhhhhhh, not so loud now. :D You know say Arsenal na my team since childhood, so I no fit include them. It's a secret, so don't tell anybody. :D