Players who made wrong career decisions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The real deal
Egg
Egg
Players who made wrong career decisions

Post by The real deal »

Is there any worse than Alexis Sanchez?
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Players who made wrong career decisions

Post by Scipio Africanus »

He is getting paid so it is all good. 2 time Copa America winner, and I believe won at least one La Liga with Barca.

Wha choo looking at?!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

United made a huge error of judgement with that purchase, anytime he gets on the pitch, we play with 9 men
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Alexis didn't make the wrong move, he was declining nothing to do with changing teams. Players that really made the wrong move might be Veron or Mendieta.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Alexis had 3-4 useful years in him when he went to MU. MU, like most EPL teams are like pressure cookers. So much hysteria with the fans. You play for those teams to achieve result with the fans yelling for 90 mins. Players like him are ball players who likes to enjoy the game not just play for results. Mancity would've been better
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The real deal wrote:Alexis had 3-4 useful years in him when he went to MU. MU, like most EPL teams are like pressure cookers. So much hysteria with the fans. You play for those teams to achieve result with the fans yelling for 90 mins. Players like him are ball players who likes to enjoy the game not just play for results. Mancity would've been better
He was on the down at Arsenal, moving to City likely wouldn't have made much of a difference. Also every major team is high pressure, you think at Barcelona they were playing purely for the fun of it and ignoring the results? Why do you think he was sold?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The real deal wrote:Is there any worse than Alexis Sanchez?
This is a slave mentality at display!
People make career moves for many reasons which might not be immediately apparent.

There is also a lot of misinformation.

Alexis was frustrated with most of his peers at Arsenal with the exception of Ozil. You could see it on the field and with Arsenal not winning, it made it worse.
Then he got injured at a crucial time of his ManU contract.

Leaving Arsenal was good for his health and the team.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Kabalega wrote:
People make career moves for many reasons which might not be immediately apparent.

Alexis was frustrated with most of his peers at Arsenal with the exception of Ozil. You could see it on the field and with Arsenal not winning, it made it worse.

Why is this a SLAVE mentality?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

The real deal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

He is a slave to his own delusions of grandeur and ignorance :rotf:
Last edited by anikulapo on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Iheanacho to Leicester.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The real deal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Why do you think that Sanchez made a wrong career move?

Anyway, just using the phrase "wrong career move" indicates a slave mentality.
Leaders and winners don't use such language unless they want to enslave you.

I believe that I answered your question in my earlier post.

Fellas like anikulapo seem beyond help.
It's like cows led to pasture don't know anything else but being corralled by cowboys or cattle herders.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Alexis knew what he was doing. He wanted to max his salary and anyone that goes to a big club knows there's a chance they'll be collecting a fat paycheck on the bench.

Salah going to Chelsea from Basel was a move that made me cringe (as I documented on this forum back then) but fortunately his career has recovered. Guys like KDB and Lukaku also suffered under a Mourinho-led Chelsea but all have gotten their careers back on track.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Kabalega wrote:
The real deal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

It's like cows led to pasture don't know anything else but being corralled by cowboys or cattle herders.
Anyone reading your response to someone questioning your ridiculous comments is left with no doubt that you’re a confused clown :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

There must be a common strain of foolishness that runs through the dna of every Tottenham fan :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

anikulapo wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
The real deal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Anyone reading your response to someone questioning your ridiculous comments is left with no doubt that you’re a confused clown :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

There must be a common strain of foolishness that runs through the dna of every Tottenham fan :rotf:
:lol: :lol: The irony!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

The real deal wrote:Alexis had 3-4 useful years in him when he went to MU. MU, like most EPL teams are like pressure cookers. So much hysteria with the fans. You play for those teams to achieve result with the fans yelling for 90 mins. Players like him are ball players who likes to enjoy the game not just play for results. Mancity would've been better
He is getting paid more than any player in EPL
He has won trophies in Spain and England even though I don't consider FA as a major trophy.
So you think at Man City they will not be pressure?
If he had stay at Arsenal that is team that fits him and he was one of the stars after Santi.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

kajifu wrote:
He is getting paid more than any player in EPL
He has won trophies in Spain and England even though I don't consider FA as a major trophy.
So you think at Man City they will not be pressure?
If he had stay at Arsenal that is team that fits him and he was one of the stars after Santi.
Everyone likes good pay,but you want to enjoy your profession too, don't you.
I have always wondered why EPL kills players confidence. I believe its the crowd. Its like folks take their frustration to the stadium. In England, Crowd yell to provoke ACTION on the pitch ( Can't get over how everybody yells when there's a corner, corner!!! :roll: :roll: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: ) whereas in other leagues people CHEER inspirational plays by players. The difference is players bring out the best of them in skill (La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1) to be cheered and hence are more relaxed. Alexis shd be able to kick it still and not in a pathetic state he is today
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

He wont be the first to be a hit at one big club and flop at the other. Shevchenko, Falcao, Pato, Kezman, Morata, Torres, and Crespo all bombed at Chelsea alone. The image of a nervous Shevchenko that was such a bad fit at Chelsea that he didn't know how to kick the ball after a while after Mourinho has torn his confidence to pieces still cant be beat.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

The YeyeMan wrote:Iheanacho to Leicester.
...more like Iheanacho to City. Small fish in a big pond can't be noticed, and so it happened and he declined.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

oscar52 wrote:He wont be the first to be a hit at one big club and flop at the other. Shevchenko, Falcao, Pato, Kezman, Morata, Torres, and Crespo all bombed at Chelsea alone. The image of a nervous Shevchenko that was such a bad fit at Chelsea that he didn't know how to kick the ball after a while after Mourinho has torn his confidence to pieces still cant be beat.
There you go......its not peculiar to Chelsea that goo to great players suck in EPL...
The milieu is toxic in my EPL IMHO. Toxic environment
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Wonder how well it turned out for Emenalo to Monaco :atc: some people accused those who were hoping he didn’t jump into that grease fire, of keeping the black man down. Funny how those same dudes still spouting off their “advice”. :rotf: :rotf: :blush:

MLK.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

So far Thibaut Courtois.
lekanlij
Egg
Egg

Post by lekanlij »

Alexis's problem is that he is playing in a team that does not play sleek passing/sexy football like he had a Barcelona and Arsenal. Man City would probably had been a better move for him but they couldn't get him. Man U bought him but it was clear he had to upstage the then world most expensive player in Pogba as well as fit into Mourinho's strait jacket management style - an unhelpful mix. Had Mourinho left sooner and a manager like solskjaer in place soon after Alexis joined Man U then it could have been a much different story.

Leaving Arsenal was a difficult move to make and Alexis subsequently saying he joined a club he always dreamt of being with would have been a kick to the teeth of the gunners however this was the correct move for both parties at the time. Arguably, Alexis might have stalled at Arsenal if he stayed on especially considering the malase at the club towards the end of Wenger's reign.

For bad career move, I'll select players like Staam, Petit, Anelka, Winston Boargde, Shevchenko, Kaka, Alex Song who left for "greener" pastures and never really hit their previous heights/promise again.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Iheanacho, Vincent Janssen
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8