Ndidi top of the pile it seems.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ndidi top of the pile it seems.

Post by Molue Conductor »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I thought Gueye was leading in tackles so far. Wild is a beast. He needs to get his shot right,it's the only part of his game I'm surprised hasn't improved. He also needs to star scoring from headers. :thumbs:
Leicester's Ricardo Pereira is leading tackles. but this is about more than tackles i guess
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
wiseone wrote:Context is required. Toreira and Kante play for teams that are in possession/attack a lot more than Leicester. Hence they are bound to have fewer opportunities to tackle and intercept etc. Conversely Leicester spend more time defending than Arsenal and Chelsea. Hence you would expect Ndidi to tackle more etc.

wiseone,

I thought about that also. However, I am not so sure. Can you please put up the average minutes of possession per game for each of those teams and then compare to Leicester's. My hunch is that the difference may not be significant. That would ease the calculation of those defensive stats per opponent's possession minute.

I did not think about that because that chain of thought is fraud; If Chelsea and Arsenal are in possession more than Leicester it still means that Ndidi is working harder while Kante and the other dude are relaxing. its like saying that a person who earned more money working more often vs another who earned less working less because there is no work to do should be compensated the same. I know some mugu would argue that we are talking about stats; did the starts measure their heart rate and perspirations, BP and calories expended since you wanna talk about context. There is no way you can account for every factor in context otherwise you have to go back to the womb. And the stats isn't really about what context they are playing in. You should pull up Ngolos stats while he was at Leicester and compare that to Ndidi's
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Molue Conductor wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
wiseone wrote:Context is required. Toreira and Kante play for teams that are in possession/attack a lot more than Leicester. Hence they are bound to have fewer opportunities to tackle and intercept etc. Conversely Leicester spend more time defending than Arsenal and Chelsea. Hence you would expect Ndidi to tackle more etc.

wiseone,

I thought about that also. However, I am not so sure. Can you please put up the average minutes of possession per game for each of those teams and then compare to Leicester's. My hunch is that the difference may not be significant. That would ease the calculation of those defensive stats per opponent's possession minute.

According to "Who scored"
Arsenal 58
Chelsea 61
Leicester 50
Molue Conductor,

Thank you. Is there one that provides the stats in terms of minutes and not percentages. That may be a better stat if it exists. If not, this gives us an idea. In my view, Ndidi's stats are still very impressive and I would guess that it would still be better even when the possession stat is taken into account.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

46 min. LEI vs CAR. Arter almost seriously injures him with a bad tackle. No card ...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Source: naijafootball.com ?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

wiseone,

If Leicester spends more time defending, it would probably point to Ndidi being weaker than Kante and Toreira....being constantly on the back foot shouldn't on average benefit a defensive player. Compare the clean sheet stats even, where he is marginally below Kante and well above Toreira. What wiseone is essentially saying is that defenders/defensive mids in clubs at the bottom of the table would have better stats than those in clubs at the top. Never seen this to be true. Ever

If not that I haven't seen his Leicester dominance replicated for Nigeria, I for say Ndidi is the best in the biz....but his international performance, though generally good, gives me pause.
What is it with us being overly judgemental when it comes to Nigerian players and giving Europeans an easy pass?

Please look at the table standing today https://www.premierleague.com/tables

Leicester is 7th. Don't forget that Kante once played for Leicester. We didn't label them defensive then. Did we?
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051