Premier League needs cut diving-Mo Sallah

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg
Premier League needs cut diving-Mo Sallah

Post by ojafranpa »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... g-now.html

Premier League needs to cut out this diving now... it's time the FA got strict and ruthless when reviewing incidents
Diving is becoming a big problem once again in the Premier League
Mo Salah has had two soft penalties and Harry Kane was booked for simulation
It's time the FA got strict and their panel must be ruthless when reviewing
By MARK CLATTENBURG FOR THE DAILY MAIL

Diving has once again become a problem in the Premier League.

Mohamed Salah won two soft penalties in three days and Harry Kane was booked for simulation against Wolves.

It is time the FA got strict and their panel must be ruthless when reviewing incidents.
If referee Michael Oliver had decided Salah dived against Arsenal, Salah would have received no punishment other than a caution.

But if the panel decided retrospectively that he dived, he would receive a ban. It’s flawed. The only way to kill diving is if the FA are strong.

People have said Salah did not dive against Newcastle on Boxing Day, so are we saying that contact was enough to knock him down?

What will happen when video technology comes in? Will they see that hand on his left arm and decide it is a spot-kick?

If a player has a chance of scoring, hitting the deck is not in his head. Look back at Sergio Aguero’s goal against QPR to win the title for Manchester City in 2012.

How many chances did he have to go down? He didn’t because all he wanted to do was score.

Salah was not likely to score from either of the positions he was in against Newcastle or Arsenal, and neither was Kane.

These are the incidents the FA should be trying to stamp out
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Premier League needs cut diving-Mo Sallah

Post by YemiBrazil »

If a player has a chance of scoring, hitting the deck is not in his head. Look back at Sergio Aguero’s goal against QPR to win the title for Manchester City in 2012.

How many chances did he have to go down? He didn’t because all he wanted to do was score.

Salah was not likely to score from either of the positions he was in against Newcastle or Arsenal, and neither was Kane.
This will always generate huge debate and I personally lean towards penalty decisions being strictly based on denial of clear scoring chances, which is still subjective - free-kick inside the box is fair to both sides in such cases. Stupid red cards and penalty decisions are the major reasons why some have stopped wasting time and money to see football matches live.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I realize the article mentions Harry Kane but there is a double standard on these sorts of debates in the Premiership. Foreign players tend to receive more criticism for diving than good ol' Englishmen. Drogba used to get scorched for diving even when good ol' boys like Stevie G would dive as well.

Salah dives but to call him a perpetual diver is a joke. 9 out of 10 times he stays on his feet even when its in his advantage to go down. I've lost count of the number of times he was fouled in the box but stayed up to try and score or assist. Against Arsenal yesterday this happened on one occasion.

That being said, I hate diving and we need to figure out more solutions to reduce it. Facing potential disciplinary action after a game doesn't really help since players are caught up in the heat of the moment as they should be. Why should I care about being fined or suspended tomorrow when a dive today could give my team a PK or get an opponent a red card?

I think eventually we'll see more VAR on PK decisions and this will help a lot in terms of over-turning incorrect PK calls and punishing divers on the spot.

I don't think it'll happen but like Yemi I have a very strict view on PKs: they should only be awarded when a clear goal scoring opportunity has been denied. I can't stand it when a player gets a PK even though they are on the touchline and their shooting/passing angles have been completely cut-off. In those cases the ref should give the defending team the benefit of the doubt or the rules should be changed to award a free kick. As the article mentions, Salah won a PK yesterday in a similar circumstance even though he had no chance of scoring/creating a goal. Also, PKs should only be awarded for deliberate handballs. The fact that the 2018 WC final was determined by a PK decision awarded following an accidental handball is ridiculous.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Another phenomenon is that all officials essentially already on boat with Liverpool and it would take an act of God to deny them the title. penalties would be awarded to them even if they just cough or sneez.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Heliopolis wrote:I realize the article mentions Harry Kane but there is a double standard on these sorts of debates in the Premiership. Foreign players tend to receive more criticism for diving than good ol' Englishmen. Drogba used to get scorched for diving even when good ol' boys like Stevie G would dive as well.

Salah dives but to call him a perpetual diver is a joke. 9 out of 10 times he stays on his feet even when its in his advantage to go down. I've lost count of the number of times he was fouled in the box but stayed up to try and score or assist. Against Arsenal yesterday this happened on one occasion.

That being said, I hate diving and we need to figure out more solutions to reduce it. Facing potential disciplinary action after a game doesn't really help since players are caught up in the heat of the moment as they should be. Why should I care about being fined or suspended tomorrow when a dive today could give my team a PK or get an opponent a red card?

I think eventually we'll see more VAR on PK decisions and this will help a lot in terms of over-turning incorrect PK calls and punishing divers on the spot.

I don't think it'll happen but like Yemi I have a very strict view on PKs: they should only be awarded when a clear goal scoring opportunity has been denied. I can't stand it when a player gets a PK even though they are on the touchline and their shooting/passing angles have been completely cut-off. In those cases the ref should give the defending team the benefit of the doubt or the rules should be changed to award a free kick. As the article mentions, Salah won a PK yesterday in a similar circumstance even though he had no chance of scoring/creating a goal. Also, PKs should only be awarded for deliberate handballs. The fact that the 2018 WC final was determined by a PK decision awarded following an accidental handball is ridiculous.
That'll be difficult because for over a decade now the policy has been to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker - all with a view to encouraging more goals and a more exciting game. Diving has crept in unfortunately but as we can see, unless its glaringly obvious its a dive, they get away with it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:Another phenomenon is that all officials essentially already on boat with Liverpool and it would take an act of God to deny them the title. penalties would be awarded to them even if they just cough or sneez.
C'mon jette1.
They repeatedly said this about Man U when they were dominant.
They've said the same thing about Man City of recent and this same Liverpool back in the day.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

What of cheat ref?FA should punish ref that openly decide a game.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The sun don fried Clattenburg's head....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

That Kane card for simulation was very harsh. Replays showed the player actually tripped his leg.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Heliopolis wrote:I realize the article mentions Harry Kane but there is a double standard on these sorts of debates in the Premiership. Foreign players tend to receive more criticism for diving than good ol' Englishmen. Drogba used to get scorched for diving even when good ol' boys like Stevie G would dive as well.

On the contrary, Mark Clattenburg never mentions Harry Kane being actually booked for simulation. The mention of Kane is from the editors...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp