Super Eagles: Time for a Reset

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Super Eagles: Time for a Reset

Post by txj »

Reflecting on the s/final loss, the coach said as follows: “It was a big fight until the last minute, it was a wonderful match, I think my players wanted it to go to extra time thinking Algeria were more tired,” Rohr was quoted as saying by Reuters.

The above statement encapsulates the Super Eagles under Genort Rohr: never able to seize the moment and the advantage staring them squarely in the face!

https://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2019 ... reset.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles: Time for a Reset

Post by green4life »

Nigeria under Gernot Rohr has come a considerable way, following failure to qualify for two back to back Nations Cups, as well as the 2014 world cup.
There's a disconnect in this statement.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

green4life wrote:
Nigeria under Gernot Rohr has come a considerable way, following failure to qualify for two back to back Nations Cups, as well as the 2014 world cup.
There's a disconnect in this statement.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

There is not an underdog tag available that Rohr has not clutched at, often with the fervor of a man hanging on to a ship wreck! While I understand much of this to be coach-speak, it is the reflection of this in the ensuing tactics that I find disconcer
:rotf: :rotf:

Philosophically, Rohr's tactical concept of the game neither suits the Nigerian concept of the game and what it should be in 2019, nor does it meet Nigeria's ambitions, even recognizing some of the limitations of talent.

The sight of Nigeria repeatedly lumping the ball forwards in search of the big target man, playing with back to goal, rather than playing through midfield, with attacking patterns of play based on passing and movement, as opposed to overcoming in 1v1 situations, is simply not acceptable.

The young players who have emerged from Rohr's tenure or are emerging in Europe deserve a more forward thinking manager. A manager who doesn't see the game in "monosyllables", forever reluctant to engage tactically!

Recommendations:
In advocating for a change, I also include in this a change in our approach to the recruitment of coaches. First of all, the old dichotomy between foreign and local coaches cannot stand any basic test of logic. It is irrelevant whether the coach is Nigerian, European, South American, from Kafanchan or Saskatchewan! What matters is the competence of the coach and the suitability of his philosophy of the game.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good article.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Txj, I just the read your article and it's well written and on point. Rohr has taken the team as far as he can and lacks the capability to get the most out of the current & future crop of players and the cap of his expectation is much lower than Nigeria's ambition.
Last edited by green4life on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Agreed with 99.9% of the article and its recommendations.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

metalalloy wrote:
Philosophically, Rohr's tactical concept of the game neither suits the Nigerian concept of the game and what it should be in 2019, nor does it meet Nigeria's ambitions, even recognizing some of the limitations of talent.

The sight of Nigeria repeatedly lumping the ball forwards in search of the big target man, playing with back to goal, rather than playing through midfield, with attacking patterns of play based on passing and movement, as opposed to overcoming in 1v1 situations, is simply not acceptable.

The young players who have emerged from Rohr's tenure or are emerging in Europe deserve a more forward thinking manager. A manager who doesn't see the game in "monosyllables", forever reluctant to engage tactically!

Recommendations:
In advocating for a change, I also include in this a change in our approach to the recruitment of coaches. First of all, the old dichotomy between foreign and local coaches cannot stand any basic test of logic. It is irrelevant whether the coach is Nigerian, European, South American, from Kafanchan or Saskatchewan! What matters is the competence of the coach and the suitability of his philosophy of the game.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good article.
Well said txj. I posted along the same line, this morning, about the philosophical mismatch between Gernot Rohr and Nigeria.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Given the nonsensical talk about Uzoho:
If the defensive organization was initially good, in goal there is no such equivocation. Nigeria paraded a trio of incompetent goalkeepers, each with no upsides. None capable of further development. All three terminal cases and dead-enders. There is no option but to look for better alternatives. The fact that Nigeria is in this position by itself points to greater issues about the development of the game that I will address later.

https://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

txj wrote:
Reflecting on the s/final loss, the coach said as follows: “It was a big fight until the last minute, it was a wonderful match, I think my players wanted it to go to extra time thinking Algeria were more tired,” Rohr was quoted as saying by Reuters.

The above statement encapsulates the Super Eagles under Genort Rohr: never able to seize the moment and the advantage staring them squarely in the face!

Thanks, for an excellent article. Bottom line: Rohr has reached his peak and needs to leave. Philosophically, he can't take the team beyond this level and approach. We'll likely qualify for the 2021 AFCON again no matter the manager(we have Benin, Sierra Leone and Lesotho in our qualifying group!), but can we win it all? The World Cup qualifiers are also coming. I agree it's time for a reset.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote:Agreed with 99.9% of the article and its recommendations.
so what don't you agree with ? 0.01% I want to know :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
His take on Uzoho. Way too early to write him off as a dead ender.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

txj wrote:Given the nonsensical talk about Uzoho:
If the defensive organization was initially good, in goal there is no such equivocation. Nigeria paraded a trio of incompetent goalkeepers, each with no upsides. None capable of further development. All three terminal cases and dead-enders. There is no option but to look for better alternatives. The fact that Nigeria is in this position by itself points to greater issues about the development of the game that I will address later.

https://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/
Way to early to make such assertion. Uzoho has just signed a one year loan deal with Omonia Nicosia. He has an important season coming up. I suspect he is about to claim back the number 1 spot. Put up a very competent performance against Tunisia. Remember, he is still young and with his age and experience will still make some little mistakes on his development path but has the makings of a future top goalie. I'll hold you, Txj, to this your prediction.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

txj wrote:

:evil: :twisted:
Low aimed.... negative futbol muthafukkkin coach ... who can't even control his players style of play !! :bump:
============================================
Aaaaaagggghhh gaaaddammmnnn ittt !! wherez my Heineken + big wet bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

No matter the reset, if you continue the "bad belle" for your fellow Africans, you'll never suceed
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Much like the forward within the 6 yard box, the goalkeeper in theirs is very much a creature of instinct. Instincts are very much involuntary actions and behaviours, reflexive responses born out of an individual’s wiring more than anything else. Uzoho, Akpeyi and the rest will never be great goalkeepers, lacking the natural instincts to be just that. In a culture that affords little attention to the man between the sticks till the opposition are bearing down on goal, ‘tis impossible for greatness to emerge.

Goalkeepers are a cult of their own, a brotherhood of egotistical, quasi-narcissists who see themselves not merely as leaders, but the complete footballer. Manuel Neuer case in point. Oliver Kahn, Jens Lehman, Bodo Illgner, the list is endless. Mad, megalomaniacs with such grandiose delusions of self importance as to afford their growth towards greatness.

In Nigeria, a goalkeeper just makes up the numbers and for that reason, there can never be a great Nigerian goalkeeper till there is a cultural shift and change in emphasis. And no, Enyeama was not great, good maybe but certainly not great.
Last edited by Coach on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, agree Rohr was a hindrance but much of what played out was the brainless, instinctive, stereotypically African football. Iwobis running into culdesacs, Chukwuezes lack of know how to evade the Algerian trap, Musa perpetually offside and the disjointed press, more nature than nurture. In keeping with the prematch jibber-jabber, Nigeria left any semblance of brain in the changing room and relied purely on those neanderthalic adjectives, big, powerful, strong, physical.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:Much like the forward within the 6 yard box, the goalkeeper in theirs is very much a creature of instinct. Instincts are very much involuntary actions and behaviours, reflexive responses born out of an individual’s wiring more than anything else. Uzoho, Akpeyi and the rest will never be great goalkeepers, lacking the natural instincts to be just that. In a culture that affords little attention to the man between the sticks till the opposition are bearing down on goal, ‘tis impossible for greatness to emerge.

Goalkeepers are a cult of their own, a brotherhood of egotistical, quasi-narcissists who see themselves not merely as leaders, but the complete footballer. Manuel Neuer case in point. Oliver Kahn, Jens Lehman, Bodo Illgner, the list is endless. Mad, megalomaniacs with such grandiose delusions of self importance as to afford their growth towards greatness.

In Nigeria, a goalkeeper just makes up the numbers and for that reason, there can never be a great Nigerian goalkeeper till there is a cultural shift and change in emphasis. And no, Enyeama was not great, good maybe but certainly not great.
We’ve had great GKs. Emma Okala was clearly one. Rufai , arguably at his peak.

It’s not an issue of cultural shift but training. Quality training and early in the process before habits, bad habits are formed and ossify.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
His take on Uzoho. Way too early to write him off as a dead ender.

The implied assumption is that Uzoho is talented and young and therefore has time to grow.

Talent wise, he’s average. If you are a backup to Akpeyi, you’ve got problems bro...

Age is not more important than habits. Ingrained habits that tend to ossify. Meaning he has to be in a club and with a manager who is totally invested in him and his progress. This is hard to find for an African GK in Europe, the likes of Onana notwithstanding.

Not his fault though. Our system, for want of a better world has failed him.

@Adisboy: You are welcome....
Last edited by txj on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Tx, agree Rohr was a hindrance but much of what played out was the brainless, instinctive, stereotypically African football. Iwobis running into culdesacs, Chukwuezes lack of know how to evade the Algerian trap, Musa perpetually offside and the disjointed press, more nature than nurture. In keeping with the prematch jibber-jabber, Nigeria left any semblance of brain in the changing room and relied purely on those neanderthalic adjectives, big, powerful, strong, physical.

No more brainless than Algerie, give or take a few like Mahrez...

Or SA, Mar, Egy......take your pick....

There were enough ingredients to get by Ramsay’s vicious palates....

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Thank God for Ighalo. Thank God for Yekini. However, the days of the strong, burly, lone striker and the 4/2/3/1 are over. What we need now are twin mobile forwards, less physical that can play in a 3/5/2.

What are the benefits? Playing Any two of the following (When fit and in full form)

Musa
Iheanacho
Onyekuru
Okereke
Abraham (If he joins)
Awoniyi

Allows for mobility, movement and an end to slow calculated build ups with a back to the goal. We need more of the Mane, Salah forward and less of the Battistuta, Torres, Osimhen, Yekini, Ighalo, Yeboah, Drogba, Lukaku type. Those days are extinct.

In defensive midfield, Azubuike, Bonke are better natural box to box midfielders than Etebo. That being said, Etebo has more value depending on the coaches imagination and tactics.

In the playmaking role: Eze and Aribo should be added to compete with Iwobi. If we play a 3/5/2, one central midfielder can play while two and athletic & attacking midfielders can play as well. You don’t need two holding midfielders. In essence, Iwobi and Eze could play with Ndidi or Azubuike. This is possible because the three would have two added wingers in Kalu and Chukwueze and two forwards. This style is best suited to a mobile team with speed.
Our wide players are (And can be) the best in the world. Both at wing play and full backs. This may be the best combination in Nigerian history.

Wide forwards: (In a 4/4/2)

Musa
Okereke
Dennis
Onyekuru

Wingers:

Ojo
Kalu
Chukwueze

Wing backs:

Ebuehi
Odubajo
Aina
Collins

As for goalies, we have a bright future: we have four that I tip to become Africa’s best and world class. They will improve just as Nkomo improved from 1977 to 1990. Those that watched him against Rangers in the 1977 final and at the 1982 and 1990 Mundial know exactly what I mean. These four goalies are:

Maduka Okoye
Dele Alampasu
Francis Uzoho
Arthur Okonkwo

If all these integrations are made to the team and the foundation is as is with solidarity, organization and discipline (and continuity), Nigeria will dominate Africa and eventually the world for the next few decades.

Coaching: If we don’t want the head coach changed, his assistant must be just like Bonfrere. Someone who allows expressive, transitional football. I’m not sure that Rohr is ready to get away from the physical, bruising center forward or the idea of conservative and slow build ups.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Thank God for Ighalo. Thank God for Yekini. However, the days of the strong, burly, lone striker and the 4/2/3/1 are over. What we need now are twin mobile forwards, less physical that can play in a 3/5/2.

What are the benefits? Playing Any two of the following (When fit and in full form)

Musa
Iheanacho
Onyekuru
Okereke
Abraham (If he joins)
Awoniyi

Allows for mobility, movement and an end to slow calculated build ups with a back to the goal. We need more of the Mane, Salah forward and less of the Battistuta, Torres, Osimhen, Yekini, Ighalo, Yeboah, Drogba, Lukaku type. Those days are extinct.

In defensive midfield, Azubuike, Bonke are better natural box to box midfielders than Etebo. That being said, Etebo has more value depending on the coaches imagination and tactics.

In the playmaking role: Eze and Aribo should be added to compete with Iwobi. If we play a 3/5/2, one central midfielder can play while two and athletic & attacking midfielders can play as well. You don’t need two holding midfielders. In essence, Iwobi and Eze could play with Ndidi or Azubuike. This is possible because the three would have two added wingers in Kalu and Chukwueze and two forwards. This style is best suited to a mobile team with speed.
Our wide players are (And can be) the best in the world. Both at wing play and full backs. This may be the best combination in Nigerian history.

Wide forwards: (In a 4/4/2)

Musa
Okereke
Dennis
Onyekuru

Wingers:

Ojo
Kalu
Chukwueze

Wing backs:

Ebuehi
Odubajo
Aina
Collins

As for goalies, we have a bright future: we have four that I tip to become Africa’s best and world class. They will improve just as Nkomo improved from 1977 to 1990. Those that watched him against Rangers in the 1977 final and at the 1982 and 1990 Mundial know exactly what I mean. These four goalies are:

Maduka Okoye
Dele Alampasu
Francis Uzoho
Arthur Okonkwo

If all these integrations are made to the team and the foundation is as is with solidarity, organization and discipline (and continuity), Nigeria will dominate Africa and eventually the world for the next few decades.

Coaching: If we don’t want the head coach changed, his assistant must be just like Bonfrere. Someone who allows expressive, transitional football. I’m not sure that Rohr is ready to get away from the physical, bruising center forward or the idea of conservative and slow build ups.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, Rufai great by what standard? Good maybe, certainly not great. Till the position of GK becomes one of regard and reverence, it will remain the least favoured position occupied by the player last picked in the playground. Greatness is an inspiration to greatness.

As for the festival of decortical activity, the exhibition was merely a spectrum of all shades of brainlessness, from the mild to the critical. As rightly argued in a previous thread, this very Algeria side would be mauled and molested in any given World Cup. Champions of a continent content to be part of a chasing pack losing further ground with each roll of the ball.

As for the “reset”, elaboration dear Watson.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Tx, Rufai great by what standard? Good maybe, certainly not great. Till the position of GK becomes one of regard and reverence, it will remain the least favoured position occupied by the player last picked in the playground. Greatness is an inspiration to greatness.

As for the festival of decortical activity, the exhibition was merely a spectrum of all shades of brainlessness, from the mild to the critical. As rightly argued in a previous thread, this very Algeria side would be mauled and molested in any given World Cup. Champions of a continent content to be part of a chasing pack losing further ground with each roll of the ball.

As for the “reset”, elaboration dear Watson.

Perhaps memory fails; fossils of "odeku", well layered....

Rufai was a great African GK, like the legends b/4 him- Okala, Nkono, etc