1974 Mid-West State Academicals football team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
1974 Mid-West State Academicals football team

Post by Sir V »

First and second on the left standing, Stephen Okitakpe and Edirin Abamwan. Standing from right to left is Sunday Ekpo(express) Middle row. first and second, Chris Ogu and Thompson Usiyan.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 1974 Mid-West State Academicals football team

Post by oloye »

Fantastic team. My recollection of the team is how they beat Western State 7-0,i believe Usiyan had a hattrick. Went on to the National team to unleash potentials. Chris Ogu too played for the National team.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Sir V wrote:Image

First and second on the left standing, Stephen Okitakpe and Edirin Abamwan. Standing from right to left is Sunday Ekpo(express) Middle row. first and second from left, Chris Ogu and Thompson Usiyan.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ogunjobi, Best Ogedegbe and Tunde Balogun played for Western state.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:Ogunjobi, Best Ogedegbe and Tunde Balogun played for Western state.
Bros it was 1973 and that team was just too good. They beat East Central 7-1 and East had a few players that were part of Rangers and Vasco at the time - Tony Uzoka, Innocent Nwankwo, Foster Ikeagu.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:
Bros it was 1973 and that team was just too good. They beat East Central 7-1 and East had a few players that were part of Rangers and Vasco at the time - Tony Uzoka, Innocent Nwankwo, Foster Ikeagu.
Enugu11, Zion Ogunfehimi was the goalie for Western State at the 73 nation sports festival. Ogunjobi and Best played at the 75 National sport festival.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Enugu11, Zion Ogunfehimi was the goalie for Western State at the 73 nation sports festival. Ogunjobi and Best played at the 75 National sport festival.
So no be 1974? That 7-0 win, I believe, na for 1975? I believe they also hit Lagos 4-0.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote:
...a good year of awakening. Just enrolling into secondary, academical teams were hot, I remember a celebrated Nigerian team going to and winning in Dublin, Ireland.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

I MAY HAVE MY DATES ALL MIXED UP, BUT...

...where's Ex-Eagle Damien Ogunsuyi in the picture? That fella had one of the most beautiful left feet in Nigerian football. He played a big role in demolishing Lagos St in the National Stadium.

[JAMES] Abamwan started as a traditional left-half back before transitioning to a feared bulldozing inside-forward.

Early in his career at Hussey College, it was hard to see Thompson Usiyan becoming the player that he became.

Sunday EDET (not Ekpo) in a country that emphasized sport would no doubt have become an Eagle. One of the most devastating high school players I ever saw, he was worth the price of admission. As a form 2 student, Warri snagged him temporarily to play in the cup final against Ibadan.

I'm not sure but I believe the player, two players to the left of the one in a cap could be Idowu Olusi, strictly a right footed but very effective number 5.
Bell
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Sir V, I saw Chris Ogu in Charlotte in 2017. He had a stroke and is slightly paralysed on one side.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
So no be 1974? That 7-0 win, I believe, na for 1975? I believe they also hit Lagos 4-0.
E11, the photo na the 1974 Midwest state high school team. The trashing of East Central state was at the 1973 national sports festival. The 7-0 trashing of western state and the 4-1 trashing of Lagos State was at the 1975 National sports festival. :)

Tunde Balogun of western state played against Bendel State at the 73 sports festival. Midwest won by 2-0. Usiyan came on as a sub and scored one of the goals with a powerful header.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

cic old boy wrote:Sir V, I saw Chris Ogu in Charlotte in 2017. He had a stroke and is slightly paralysed on one side.
Sad to hear that. I wish him well.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Bell wrote:I MAY HAVE MY DATES ALL MIXED UP, BUT...

...where's Ex-Eagle Damien Ogunsuyi in the picture? That fella had one of the most beautiful left feet in Nigerian football. He played a big role in demolishing Lagos St in the National Stadium.

[JAMES] Abamwan started as a traditional left-half back before transitioning to a feared bulldozing inside-forward.

Early in his career at Hussey College, it was hard to see Thompson Usiyan becoming the player that he became.

Sunday EDET (not Ekpo) in a country that emphasized sport would no doubt have become an Eagle. One of the most devastating high school players I ever saw, he was worth the price of admission. As a form 2 student, Warri snagged him temporarily to play in the cup final against Ibadan.

I'm not sure but I believe the player, two players to the left of the one in a cap could be Idowu Olusi, strictly a right footed but very effective number 5.
Bell
I think Damien Ogunsuyi is the one standing first from right in the middle row. Others in the picture are Solomon Oriaki, Francis Nwanchi and Otoroma.

Thanks for the correction about Sunday Edet. What a player.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V,

Thanks for the clarification.
Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
E11, the photo na the 1974 Midwest state high school team. The trashing of East Central state was at the 1973 national sports festival. The 7-0 trashing of western state and the 4-1 trashing of Lagos State was at the 1975 National sports festival. :)

Tunde Balogun of western state played against Bendel State at the 73 sports festival. Midwest won by 2-0. Usiyan came on as a sub and scored one of the goals with a powerful header.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Sir V wrote:
Bell wrote:I MAY HAVE MY DATES ALL MIXED UP, BUT...

Bell
I think Damien Ogunsuyi is the one standing first from right in the middle row. Others in the picture are Solomon Oriaki, Francis Nwanchi and Otoroma.

Thanks for the correction about Sunday Edet. What a player.
"EXPRESS" WAS INDEED A HIGH SCHOOL PHENOM

He was a sprinter and had the ability to dribble and shoot equally well with both feet. It used to be that on breakaways with only three defenders to overcome people started recording a goal, the only mystery being what new trick he was going to use. Just like Haruna Ilerika and many others, talk about being born too early. We can only wonder what they'd have done in Europe.
Bell