KANU NWANKWO: It’s All Gone

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
KANU NWANKWO: It’s All Gone

Post by anikulapo »

It's all gone - Nigeria legend Kanu

Posted: 16 January 2019 Time: 11:00

Nigeria football legend Nwankwo Kanu says he's 'suffered the saddest day of his life' after the awards he amassed over a 20-year football career were stolen from his Lagos property.

Kanu, 42, is widely regarded as one of Africas' greatest ever strikers and is one of few players to have won the Premier League, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup and an Olympic Gold Medal over an iconic career.

READ: Al Ahly smash transfer record

The former Super Eagles captain spent 19-years in Europe with AFC Ajax, Inter Milan and Arsenal, before stints with West Bromwich and Portsmouth.

And the two-time African Footballer of the Year confirmed the memoirs that remain have been cruelly taken away from him.

The Lagos property, a hotel, has been at the centre of a long-running legal dispute over an alleged default in a transaction between Polaris Bank, leading to series of litigation that is still pending at the federal high court.

Shina Philips a close friend and associate to Kanu told Premium Times that the former African footballer of the year had to cut short his trip to London after being informed about the incident.

This after it's been alleged that court orders instructed that both parties within the current dispute should stay off the property.

READ: Egyptian PL not the best in Africa - Salah

"Yes, it is true, they have even made away with his football medals, trophies, plaques and other valuable items. For someone that has served and still serving this country meritoriously, he does not deserve this kind of treatment," Philips said. "He was in tears as we drove away from the hotel,"

The former Inter Milan and Arsenal striker admitted he struggled to recognise his own property after returning to the scene of the alleged crime.

"It was a rude shock to me," Kanu, was quoted as saying by TheCable. "I almost couldn't recognise the hotel as belonging to me anymore.

"This is the saddest day of my life as I cannot understand why this happen to me when the matter has yet to be settled in court.

"All the medals I have earned, in addition to the Olympic torch that I cherished are all gone, and I don’t even know who to ask for all these prized assets."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 3147529248
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: KANU NWANKWO: It’s All Gone

Post by Damunk »

This is sad.
But why has he kept his valuable personal belongings in his hotel?
I visited the hotel about 5years ago and vaguely recall seeing some iconic pictures on the reception wall but nothing remotely invaluable.
He should have decorated the place with replicas of his medals, not the real things.
I hope, somehow he gets his stuff back.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I hope he insured them...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

As hard as it may be for him at the moment because of his lost medals, its important for him to know that the materials will not diminish his accomplisments because it is all there in the record books. I hope for his piece of mind, he can find his medals
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The police will most likely recover them if they try to sell them.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:This is sad.
I visited the hotel about 5years ago and vaguely recall seeing some iconic pictures on the reception wall but nothing remotely invaluable.
He should have decorated the place with replicas of his medals, not the real things.
Doc, the story no jive at all.

Just like demolitions and evictions, court-ordered repossession does not happen overnight.

I doubt he would have kept his invaluable medals and mementos exposed in the hotel that is not his place of primary residence.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:

Just like demolitions and evictions, court-ordered repossession does not happen overnight.

I doubt he would have kept his invaluable medals and mementos exposed in the hotel that is not his place of primary residence.
I got the impression they were stolen rather than repossessed.
Article is confusing.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Article is confusing.
There was no "court ordered repossession". From the article, it appears the hotel and its bank were involved in a dispute over an alleged default and the bank instructed both parties to to stay away from the property while the litigation was pending. His memorabilia was stolen then. Its a sad development, and hopefully the police can recover it if the thieves try to steal it. At least he can get a replica of his gold medal from the IOC.
The Lagos property, a hotel, has been at the centre of a long-running legal dispute over an alleged default in a transaction between Polaris Bank, leading to series of litigation that is still pending at the federal high court.

Shina Philips a close friend and associate to Kanu told Premium Times that the former African footballer of the year had to cut short his trip to London after being informed about the incident.

This after it's been alleged that court orders instructed that both parties within the current dispute should stay off the property.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Abeg uncle change the thread, i start shaking thinking he don die.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Article is confusing.
...everything in Nigeria is confusing, more reason to lay low in that contraption if you have it.
My trip last fall was an eye opener.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This Kanu stories don dey tire me. Didnt they also steal hundreds of thousands of dollars cash from him in Russia?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

why Nigerians why?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

1naija wrote:This Kanu stories don dey tire me. Didnt they also steal hundreds of thousands of dollars cash from him in Russia?

Most life's dominant stories/experiences are essentially transactional and recursive; our world acts on us using the script we used on it. if this never happens to JAJAY and never to Da Bull nor any of his legendary peers then kanu needs to start asking himself - why always me
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

jette1 wrote:
1naija wrote:This Kanu stories don dey tire me. Didnt they also steal hundreds of thousands of dollars cash from him in Russia?

Most life's dominant stories/experiences are essentially transactional and recursive; our world acts on us using the script we used on it. if this never happens to JAJAY and never to Da Bull nor any of his legendary peers then kanu needs to start asking himself - why always me
JAJAY and Da Bull are broke
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Rawlings wrote:
jette1 wrote:

JJ cant br broke. Amokachi is a known case.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

no cameras?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Did this happen while you were working at the hotel in lagos?
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Did this happen while you were working at the hotel in lagos?
At least I was working ...You should try it one day.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

nemi2002 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
jette1 wrote:
I don't mean he is as broke as you :winking:
He made some bad investments and was 4-1-9'ed, which reduced his wealth considerably
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Rawlings wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
jette1 wrote:
He made some bad investments and was 4-1-9'ed, which reduced his wealth considerably

You said he was broke. You didnt mention anything about being defrauded.

Who doesnt make bad investments?

Liar lying always to get attention.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Smh at jetted are you implying that Kanu is experiencing karma of life due to all these misfortune starting from heart surgery? My guy, remember that sometimes in life, the bad and evil progress and progress while the innocent and good die early. Never ever think that life gives you what you deserve and always remember that life is Unfair. Don’t try to guilt shame Kanu for some of his misfortune
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

nemi2002 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
jette1 wrote:

You said he was broke. You didnt mention anything about being defrauded.
Who doesnt make bad investments?
Liar lying always to get attention.
Yes, he is broke.
A Billionaire on his last million is considered broke...
My point: All "brokes" are not equal
I simply explained to you how he lost his money
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

john12 wrote:Never ever think that life gives you what you deserve and always remember that life is Unfair. Don't try to guilt shame Kanu for some of his misfortune
Not necessarily karma but the repeating occurrence of essentially the same kind of issue is almost always due to the person experiencing it. Life keeps replaying the same problems over and over until you learn your lessons. As others have pointed out, there is a pattern here with Kanu. There were also problems with his property in the UK. It was left in a dilapidated state and there was talk of repossession. I don't know what happened with that case. The amount of cash he carried to Russia too makes no sense. Why carry so much cash? Debit/Credit cards from western banks work pretty much everywhere in Europe now.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes