Absurdity of Nazi-Like Salute in Nigerian Football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Absurdity of Nazi-Like Salute in Nigerian Football

Post by Enugu II »

There are other creative visual greetings, inoffensive ones that they can surely use to acknowledge their fans. There is no need for the Nazi-style salute as a visual demonstration of greetings to fans in Nigeria or any place else and wherever. It is particularly worse for any African team to be associated with this practice considering the Nazis and their racial classification, which was no friend to Africa and its peoples. To now adopt a salute of the Nazis, who adopted the infamous scientific racist theory of Arthur de Gobineau, is as disgraceful as it is embarrassing.
Of course, there are those who may think little of this. They may claim that these are young men simply enjoying life and they mean no harm. However, image is important and it goes a long way. If the young men do not understand fully the meaning of such symbols then the administrators do or at least should understand it.

Details and photos can be found by clicking below:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/01/ ... te-in.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Absurdity of Nazi-Like Salute in Nigerian Football

Post by zee »

Ignorant clowns :curse: are running both the country and our football.........................not surprised at all.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bros, that does NOT look like a Nazi salute...
Unless their palms are stationary, they simply seem to be caught mid-wave WAVING to fans.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Gotti wrote:Bros, that does NOT look like a Nazi salute...
Unless their palms are stationary, they simply seem to be caught mid-wave WAVING to fans.
Fully agree. EII, I think you are reading more into those greetings than there is. The Nazi salute is a distinct gesture with the arm straight and at a particular angle (45 deg?) and the fingers together. I want to believe these young men do not know anything about the Nazi salute.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Nazi this and Nazi that! I say who is addressing the kidnappings of my INNOCENT relatives who were on their ways to the farm, river, strolling around, hunting and et al.?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

its a stretch to assign Nazi
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti,

I wish you are right about the camera shot catching a supposed hand wave in mid-air, but I am unconvinced. See another photo below, note also the placement of a hand on their chests.

Ukwala,

The salute has variants. See below a recent use of the salute by USA high school students that attracted major concerns and variation. Note that some fingers aren't all placed together.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Education in Nigeria has serverly suffered in the past few decades,these Africans. Haven't a clue what they are doing so no one should be surprised!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

This looks more like the type of thing people do in churches when they are doing praise worship. It's a real stretch to equate this to a Nazi salute. Even by the pictures, you can tell some of the players are chanting or singing.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Alan Shearer the serial Nazi Saluter.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

kbt wrote:This looks more like the type of thing people do in churches when they are doing praise worship. It's a real stretch to equate this to a Nazi salute. Even by the pictures, you can tell some of the players are chanting or singing.
:thumbs:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I don't believe this is nazi salute.
A still picture do convey a lot negative or positive, why don't the concerned person/s contact the teams and players and ask them, or show a running video.
This is much ado about nothing.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti,

I wish you are right about the camera shot catching a supposed hand wave in mid-air, but I am unconvinced. See another photo below, note also the placement of a hand on their chests.

Ukwala,

The salute has variants. See below a recent use of the salute by USA high school students that attracted major concerns and variation. Note that some fingers aren't all placed together.

Looking at that picture, if one had to explain it's not a Nazi salute then one should avoid that type of salute altogether.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I remember this English striker who played for New Castle use to raise his right hand straight up, palm down while acknowledging cheers after scoring, how come no hoopla about him.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

mcal wrote:...I remember this English striker who played for New Castle use to raise his right hand straight up, palm down while acknowledging cheers after scoring, how come no hoopla about him.
You mean Shearer? Please lets apply common sense. When Shearer scores, he raises his hands while running at the same time celebrating his goal. Go and look at the Nazi salute, their stand etc and tell us which is similar?
I really don't know why we have to argue? If it's controversial then drop it. It's only a football stand. Come up with something else
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

pajimoh wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti,

Ukwala,

Looking at that picture, if one had to explain it's not a Nazi salute then one should avoid that type of salute altogether.

Thank you!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

pajimoh wrote:
mcal wrote:...I remember this English striker who played for New Castle use to raise his right hand straight up, palm down while acknowledging cheers after scoring, how come no hoopla about him.
You mean Shearer? Please lets apply common sense. When Shearer scores, he raises his hands while running at the same time celebrating his goal. Go and look at the Nazi salute, their stand etc and tell us which is similar?
I really don't know why we have to argue? If it's controversial then drop it. It's only a football stand. Come up with something else
...nazi folks walk, march while hands raised.
I no dey argue my friend, just dey ask why make fuss of an act of a still picture. Those in the know of Nigerian football should dig deeper, ask the players, coaches, and the league officials. Again this is a notinburger.