ONYEKURU GRABS HAT-TRICK

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ONYEKURU GRABS HAT-TRICK

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:I am taking the middleground in this argument.

Rohr, contrary to my original belief, has shown a willingness to put new players right into the starting lineup, or on the periphery of it.

As has been mentioned already look at Kalu and Collins. I am sure that Chukwueze will soon be an addition to this. Rohr thinks very highly of him. He was already donning the #10 jersey and Rohr was giving him special attention in training. He knows that he is a star.

We may have initially believed that Rohr was not giving Onyekuru a fair chance, but it is possible that he was actually seeing something in him he did not like.

What reason does he have to beef with Onyekuru ? Although Rohr is indeed conservative, he is not THAT conservative that he will just ignore any new player (Kalu, Collins, CHukwueze) So I believe that Onyekuru is simply not doing something right in training, and I am inclined to believe Rohr has it right in this regard.

Having said all of that. Onyekuru in all of his small cameos probably does not even have up to 90 minutes. So we cannot fairly judge his SE contributions, especially as he does have an assist, and a goal even if it is in a non competative friendly.

Regarding his one assist that somebody claimed was more about Kalu's incredible shot.

Yes and No. It is true that the goal was about the wicked Kalu shot, but he would never have got that chance if not for Henry controlling the ball outside of the box turning around heads up and picking Kalu out. It was a nice heads up play which could easily have been missed judging by some of the examples of previous play of some of our wingers who I will leave un named.

Frankly Onyekuru has not had enough chances with SE, but he certainly is not ahead of Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa.

Remember that Musa and Simon add a lot in defence and this is supposedly where Onyekuru lacks when he is playing out wide.

Up top he is very light weight, but he may be a better option up top than out wide.
VE,

I agree with most of your summation above about Onyekuru. However, I want to point to a few things, one of which moves away from your points above.

1. To state that Onyekuru has not received enough opportunities in the SE is factually incorrect. Onyekuru has received several invitations to camp and has been training with the team, which has given the coaches ample time to evaluate his performance compared to others. In essence, opportunities cannot and should not be limited to matches but should include overall training with the team. If you take an aspect of those opportunities (actual games/matches) he has been on the field for 170 minutes, which is almost two times the 90 minutes claimed in some posts here. Of his 8 games, he has played 20 minutes or more in three (Togo, Algeria, and Liberia) and then a quarter hour against Uganda.

2. IMHO, Onyekuru is a gifted offensive player but he is certainly not as good when his team does not have the ball. There is a tendency to only evaluate him with the ball but coaches are paid to look beyond just when a player has the ball. What is his effort level when his team does not have the ball? Compare that to the effort level of those that he competes against in the SE. BTW, this is not just an SE issue, some of his club coaches have complained about this issue as well.https://www.goal.com/en/news/onyekuru-a ... rbuhadh8ua

3. Note that Rohr has stated several times that he wants a big forward who can hold up the ball. That is not Onyekuru's forte. Although, you can argue that Rohr has not stood strong on wanting this type of player. For instance, he has used Musa in that position and Must isn't a big lad who holds up the ball either. Thus, it is possible to think that Rohr may yet consider Onyewkuru at the most advanced position.

4. If Onyekuru is not considered at the most advanced position, then his chance is out wide. However, if you watch Rohr's teams closely, if you play wide then you must give 100% effort in the ball recovery stage. This is something that Onyekuru does not do particularly well. He must work on it if he really wants to play regularly.

The above is just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:I am taking the middleground in this argument.

Rohr, contrary to my original belief, has shown a willingness to put new players right into the starting lineup, or on the periphery of it.

As has been mentioned already look at Kalu and Collins. I am sure that Chukwueze will soon be an addition to this. Rohr thinks very highly of him. He was already donning the #10 jersey and Rohr was giving him special attention in training. He knows that he is a star.

We may have initially believed that Rohr was not giving Onyekuru a fair chance, but it is possible that he was actually seeing something in him he did not like.

What reason does he have to beef with Onyekuru ? Although Rohr is indeed conservative, he is not THAT conservative that he will just ignore any new player (Kalu, Collins, CHukwueze) So I believe that Onyekuru is simply not doing something right in training, and I am inclined to believe Rohr has it right in this regard.

Having said all of that. Onyekuru in all of his small cameos probably does not even have up to 90 minutes. So we cannot fairly judge his SE contributions, especially as he does have an assist, and a goal even if it is in a non competative friendly.

Regarding his one assist that somebody claimed was more about Kalu's incredible shot.

Yes and No. It is true that the goal was about the wicked Kalu shot, but he would never have got that chance if not for Henry controlling the ball outside of the box turning around heads up and picking Kalu out. It was a nice heads up play which could easily have been missed judging by some of the examples of previous play of some of our wingers who I will leave un named.

Frankly Onyekuru has not had enough chances with SE, but he certainly is not ahead of Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa.

Remember that Musa and Simon add a lot in defence and this is supposedly where Onyekuru lacks when he is playing out wide.

Up top he is very light weight, but he may be a better option up top than out wide.
VE,

I agree with most of your summation above about Onyekuru. However, I want to point to a few things, one of which moves away from your points above.

1. To state that Onyekuru has not received enough opportunities in the SE is factually incorrect. Onyekuru has received several invitations to camp and has been training with the team, which has given the coaches ample time to evaluate his performance compared to others. In essence, opportunities cannot and should not be limited to matches but should include overall training with the team. If you take an aspect of those opportunities (actual games/matches) he has been on the field for 170 minutes, which is almost two times the 90 minutes claimed in some posts here. Of his 8 games, he has played 20 minutes or more in three (Togo, Algeria, and Liberia) and then a quarter hour against Uganda.

2. IMHO, Onyekuru is a gifted offensive player but he is certainly not as good when his team does not have the ball. There is a tendency to only evaluate him with the ball but coaches are paid to look beyond just when a player has the ball. What is his effort level when his team does not have the ball? Compare that to the effort level of those that he competes against in the SE. BTW, this is not just an SE issue, some of his club coaches have complained about this issue as well.https://www.goal.com/en/news/onyekuru-a ... rbuhadh8ua

3. Note that Rohr has stated several times that he wants a big forward who can hold up the ball. That is not Onyekuru's forte. Although, you can argue that Rohr has not stood strong on wanting this type of player. For instance, he has used Musa in that position and Must isn't a big lad who holds up the ball either. Thus, it is possible to think that Rohr may yet consider Onyewkuru at the most advanced position.

4. If Onyekuru is not considered at the most advanced position, then his chance is out wide. However, if you watch Rohr's teams closely, if you play wide then you must give 100% effort in the ball recovery stage. This is something that Onyekuru does not do particularly well. He must work on it if he really wants to play regularly.

The above is just my tuppence.
One certainty is always consistent with your analysis and narratives absolutely in support of the status quo and political expedient . I have never heard you with a different opinion from the reigning coach Their decisions are always as good as money in the bank for you. Thus I take your current analysis of Onyekuru's situation with a pinch of salg.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

zee wrote:
gochino wrote:He is the second highest scorer in Turkey
Henry got 9 goals and joint 2nd.
The leading scorer is from Senegal and has scored..........................................20 goals :shock: :shock:
He is now at Gala with Onyekuru
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Onyekuru with a brace in Galatasaray's 5-0 victory today.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Nice one!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

charlie wrote:Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.

I guess the other teams are there to sell kolanut and clap for SE so we don’t have to defend at all. Play those 2 together and your RB & LB will destroyed by HT.
OCCUPY NFF!!
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

how many goals has he scored in Europe in both champions league and Europa ?
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Jesu!

I guess the other teams are there to sell kolanut and clap for SE so we don’t have to defend at all. Play those 2 together and your RB & LB will destroyed by HT.
I disagree. I watch both play for their clubs and they are very disciplined. Both track back to defend when they lose the ball.
Henry in particular has significantly improved his work ethic and is always running back to cover his defense.

Besides, as Zidane said in his famous Champions League final speech to his team in 2017, the best defense is offense.
When he told Isco & Marcelo to push up and press Alves and Sandro/Mandzukic into defensive positions, that won the finals for them, and these 2 players will torture any wing backs back into consistent defensive positions for a full game.

[/video]
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Jesu!

Add Kalu and iwobinho to the list and the nations cup is as good as won. Our players are too talented for a coach like Rohr. No excuse abeg
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

charlie wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Jesu!

I disagree. I watch both play for their clubs and they are very disciplined. Both track back to defend when they lose the ball.
Henry in particular has significantly improved his work ethic and is always running back to cover his defense.

Besides, as Zidane said in his famous Champions League final speech to his team in 2017, the best defense is offense.
When he told Isco & Marcelo to push up and press Alves and Sandro/Mandzukic into defensive positions, that won the finals for them, and these 2 players will torture any wing backs back into consistent defensive positions for a full game.

[/video]

Don’t believe everything you see in TV :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

BTW Top Nigerian scorers in the Turkish & Belgian leagues so far this year (As of March 12) are:

Turkey
4. Onyekuru - 11 goals
13. Nwaekeme - 7 goals
13. Emem Eduok - 7 goals
22. Aminu Umar - 5 goals

Belgian
8. Osimhen - 11 goals
21. Awoniyi - 7 goals
34. Bonaventure - 5 goals
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Good to see them scoring at backwater leagues but we need our boys at top level clubs performing extremely well. One reason why I rate “Chukwueze” high is because his the only one performing at a world class league and even scoring “world class goals” at this point, Chukwueze is the only one that can make or destroy himself
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Jesu!

I dont think Onyekuru is a very good winger, and I have watched him a lot.

Onyekuru would be better as a striker.

Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, and even Simon are all better wingers than Onyekuru.

Simon and Musa give you much more workrate, especially on the defensive end, while Chukwueze and Kalu are just better natural wingers with better technical ability, passing and dribbling skills.

Onyekuru is more of a striker, but then he is not that physical, with the likes of Ighalo, Oshimen, and Awoniyi and Success all better in that department.

Onyekuru will definately be a bit part player for SE, unless he becomes ruthless in front of goal and can somehow own that top striking position.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:
Jesu!

I dont think Onyekuru is a very good winger, and I have watched him a lot.

Onyekuru would be better as a striker.

Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, and even Simon are all better wingers than Onyekuru.

Simon and Musa give you much more workrate, especially on the defensive end, while Chukwueze and Kalu are just better natural wingers with better technical ability, passing and dribbling skills.

Onyekuru is more of a striker, but then he is not that physical, with the likes of Ighalo, Oshimen, and Awoniyi and Success all better in that department.

Onyekuru will definately be a bit part player for SE, unless he becomes ruthless in front of goal and can somehow own that top striking position.
He needs to study pint-sized poachers like Jermaine Defoe, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole.
Small and non-physical, but deadly.
Eto'o was also small but was probably a little more physical.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "