Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 16816
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
vancity eagle wrote:
I am taking the middleground in this argument.

Rohr, contrary to my original belief, has shown a willingness to put new players right into the starting lineup, or on the periphery of it.

As has been mentioned already look at Kalu and Collins. I am sure that Chukwueze will soon be an addition to this. Rohr thinks very highly of him. He was already donning the #10 jersey and Rohr was giving him special attention in training. He knows that he is a star.

We may have initially believed that Rohr was not giving Onyekuru a fair chance, but it is possible that he was actually seeing something in him he did not like.

What reason does he have to beef with Onyekuru ? Although Rohr is indeed conservative, he is not THAT conservative that he will just ignore any new player (Kalu, Collins, CHukwueze) So I believe that Onyekuru is simply not doing something right in training, and I am inclined to believe Rohr has it right in this regard.

Having said all of that. Onyekuru in all of his small cameos probably does not even have up to 90 minutes. So we cannot fairly judge his SE contributions, especially as he does have an assist, and a goal even if it is in a non competative friendly.

Regarding his one assist that somebody claimed was more about Kalu's incredible shot.

Yes and No. It is true that the goal was about the wicked Kalu shot, but he would never have got that chance if not for Henry controlling the ball outside of the box turning around heads up and picking Kalu out. It was a nice heads up play which could easily have been missed judging by some of the examples of previous play of some of our wingers who I will leave un named.

Frankly Onyekuru has not had enough chances with SE, but he certainly is not ahead of Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa.

Remember that Musa and Simon add a lot in defence and this is supposedly where Onyekuru lacks when he is playing out wide.

Up top he is very light weight, but he may be a better option up top than out wide.


VE,

I agree with most of your summation above about Onyekuru. However, I want to point to a few things, one of which moves away from your points above.

1. To state that Onyekuru has not received enough opportunities in the SE is factually incorrect. Onyekuru has received several invitations to camp and has been training with the team, which has given the coaches ample time to evaluate his performance compared to others. In essence, opportunities cannot and should not be limited to matches but should include overall training with the team. If you take an aspect of those opportunities (actual games/matches) he has been on the field for 170 minutes, which is almost two times the 90 minutes claimed in some posts here. Of his 8 games, he has played 20 minutes or more in three (Togo, Algeria, and Liberia) and then a quarter hour against Uganda.

2. IMHO, Onyekuru is a gifted offensive player but he is certainly not as good when his team does not have the ball. There is a tendency to only evaluate him with the ball but coaches are paid to look beyond just when a player has the ball. What is his effort level when his team does not have the ball? Compare that to the effort level of those that he competes against in the SE. BTW, this is not just an SE issue, some of his club coaches have complained about this issue as well.https://www.goal.com/en/news/onyekuru-always-let-himself-down-anderlechts-vanhaezebrouck/6o13u1snk5a61g8rbuhadh8ua

3. Note that Rohr has stated several times that he wants a big forward who can hold up the ball. That is not Onyekuru's forte. Although, you can argue that Rohr has not stood strong on wanting this type of player. For instance, he has used Musa in that position and Must isn't a big lad who holds up the ball either. Thus, it is possible to think that Rohr may yet consider Onyewkuru at the most advanced position.

4. If Onyekuru is not considered at the most advanced position, then his chance is out wide. However, if you watch Rohr's teams closely, if you play wide then you must give 100% effort in the ball recovery stage. This is something that Onyekuru does not do particularly well. He must work on it if he really wants to play regularly.

The above is just my tuppence.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm
Posts: 4199
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
I am taking the middleground in this argument.

Rohr, contrary to my original belief, has shown a willingness to put new players right into the starting lineup, or on the periphery of it.

As has been mentioned already look at Kalu and Collins. I am sure that Chukwueze will soon be an addition to this. Rohr thinks very highly of him. He was already donning the #10 jersey and Rohr was giving him special attention in training. He knows that he is a star.

We may have initially believed that Rohr was not giving Onyekuru a fair chance, but it is possible that he was actually seeing something in him he did not like.

What reason does he have to beef with Onyekuru ? Although Rohr is indeed conservative, he is not THAT conservative that he will just ignore any new player (Kalu, Collins, CHukwueze) So I believe that Onyekuru is simply not doing something right in training, and I am inclined to believe Rohr has it right in this regard.

Having said all of that. Onyekuru in all of his small cameos probably does not even have up to 90 minutes. So we cannot fairly judge his SE contributions, especially as he does have an assist, and a goal even if it is in a non competative friendly.

Regarding his one assist that somebody claimed was more about Kalu's incredible shot.

Yes and No. It is true that the goal was about the wicked Kalu shot, but he would never have got that chance if not for Henry controlling the ball outside of the box turning around heads up and picking Kalu out. It was a nice heads up play which could easily have been missed judging by some of the examples of previous play of some of our wingers who I will leave un named.

Frankly Onyekuru has not had enough chances with SE, but he certainly is not ahead of Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa.

Remember that Musa and Simon add a lot in defence and this is supposedly where Onyekuru lacks when he is playing out wide.

Up top he is very light weight, but he may be a better option up top than out wide.


VE,

I agree with most of your summation above about Onyekuru. However, I want to point to a few things, one of which moves away from your points above.

1. To state that Onyekuru has not received enough opportunities in the SE is factually incorrect. Onyekuru has received several invitations to camp and has been training with the team, which has given the coaches ample time to evaluate his performance compared to others. In essence, opportunities cannot and should not be limited to matches but should include overall training with the team. If you take an aspect of those opportunities (actual games/matches) he has been on the field for 170 minutes, which is almost two times the 90 minutes claimed in some posts here. Of his 8 games, he has played 20 minutes or more in three (Togo, Algeria, and Liberia) and then a quarter hour against Uganda.

2. IMHO, Onyekuru is a gifted offensive player but he is certainly not as good when his team does not have the ball. There is a tendency to only evaluate him with the ball but coaches are paid to look beyond just when a player has the ball. What is his effort level when his team does not have the ball? Compare that to the effort level of those that he competes against in the SE. BTW, this is not just an SE issue, some of his club coaches have complained about this issue as well.https://www.goal.com/en/news/onyekuru-always-let-himself-down-anderlechts-vanhaezebrouck/6o13u1snk5a61g8rbuhadh8ua

3. Note that Rohr has stated several times that he wants a big forward who can hold up the ball. That is not Onyekuru's forte. Although, you can argue that Rohr has not stood strong on wanting this type of player. For instance, he has used Musa in that position and Must isn't a big lad who holds up the ball either. Thus, it is possible to think that Rohr may yet consider Onyewkuru at the most advanced position.

4. If Onyekuru is not considered at the most advanced position, then his chance is out wide. However, if you watch Rohr's teams closely, if you play wide then you must give 100% effort in the ball recovery stage. This is something that Onyekuru does not do particularly well. He must work on it if he really wants to play regularly.

The above is just my tuppence.
One certainty is always consistent with your analysis and narratives absolutely in support of the status quo and political expedient . I have never heard you with a different opinion from the reigning coach Their decisions are always as good as money in the bank for you. Thus I take your current analysis of Onyekuru's situation with a pinch of salg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 24667
Location: Ikeja
zee wrote:
gochino wrote:
He is the second highest scorer in Turkey


Henry got 9 goals and joint 2nd.
The leading scorer is from Senegal and has scored..........................................20 goals :shock: :shock:


He is now at Gala with Onyekuru

_________________
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 8208
Onyekuru with a brace in Galatasaray's 5-0 victory today.

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 36914
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Nice one!

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:25 pm
Posts: 6216
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.

_________________
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Posts: 16250
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



I guess the other teams are there to sell kolanut and clap for SE so we don’t have to defend at all. Play those 2 together and your RB & LB will destroyed by HT.

_________________
OCCUPY NFF!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:00 pm
Posts: 11562
how many goals has he scored in Europe in both champions league and Europa ?

_________________
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:25 pm
Posts: 6216
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



I guess the other teams are there to sell kolanut and clap for SE so we don’t have to defend at all. Play those 2 together and your RB & LB will destroyed by HT.


I disagree. I watch both play for their clubs and they are very disciplined. Both track back to defend when they lose the ball.
Henry in particular has significantly improved his work ethic and is always running back to cover his defense.

Besides, as Zidane said in his famous Champions League final speech to his team in 2017, the best defense is offense.
When he told Isco & Marcelo to push up and press Alves and Sandro/Mandzukic into defensive positions, that won the finals for them, and these 2 players will torture any wing backs back into consistent defensive positions for a full game.


_________________
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:53 pm
Posts: 2530
Location: U.S
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



Add Kalu and iwobinho to the list and the nations cup is as good as won. Our players are too talented for a coach like Rohr. No excuse abeg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Posts: 16250
charlie wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



I guess the other teams are there to sell kolanut and clap for SE so we don’t have to defend at all. Play those 2 together and your RB & LB will destroyed by HT.


I disagree. I watch both play for their clubs and they are very disciplined. Both track back to defend when they lose the ball.
Henry in particular has significantly improved his work ethic and is always running back to cover his defense.

Besides, as Zidane said in his famous Champions League final speech to his team in 2017, the best defense is offense.
When he told Isco & Marcelo to push up and press Alves and Sandro/Mandzukic into defensive positions, that won the finals for them, and these 2 players will torture any wing backs back into consistent defensive positions for a full game.




Don’t believe everything you see in TV :laugh:

_________________
OCCUPY NFF!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Canada
BTW Top Nigerian scorers in the Turkish & Belgian leagues so far this year (As of March 12) are:

Turkey
4. Onyekuru - 11 goals
13. Nwaekeme - 7 goals
13. Emem Eduok - 7 goals
22. Aminu Umar - 5 goals

Belgian
8. Osimhen - 11 goals
21. Awoniyi - 7 goals
34. Bonaventure - 5 goals

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 2133
Good to see them scoring at backwater leagues but we need our boys at top level clubs performing extremely well. One reason why I rate “Chukwueze” high is because his the only one performing at a world class league and even scoring “world class goals” at this point, Chukwueze is the only one that can make or destroy himself


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13487
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



I dont think Onyekuru is a very good winger, and I have watched him a lot.


Onyekuru would be better as a striker.

Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, and even Simon are all better wingers than Onyekuru.

Simon and Musa give you much more workrate, especially on the defensive end, while Chukwueze and Kalu are just better natural wingers with better technical ability, passing and dribbling skills.

Onyekuru is more of a striker, but then he is not that physical, with the likes of Ighalo, Oshimen, and Awoniyi and Success all better in that department.

Onyekuru will definately be a bit part player for SE, unless he becomes ruthless in front of goal and can somehow own that top striking position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 37902
Location: UK
vancity eagle wrote:
charlie wrote:
Kai, imagine Onyekuru on the left wing and Chukwueze on the RW
Jesu!

Now the only major question left is who plays center forward for the super eagles for the next 5 years.
I would have said Success Isaac because of his physical hold up play, but he seems to have regressed a bit due to injury.



I dont think Onyekuru is a very good winger, and I have watched him a lot.


Onyekuru would be better as a striker.

Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, and even Simon are all better wingers than Onyekuru.

Simon and Musa give you much more workrate, especially on the defensive end, while Chukwueze and Kalu are just better natural wingers with better technical ability, passing and dribbling skills.

Onyekuru is more of a striker, but then he is not that physical, with the likes of Ighalo, Oshimen, and Awoniyi and Success all better in that department.

Onyekuru will definately be a bit part player for SE, unless he becomes ruthless in front of goal and can somehow own that top striking position.
He needs to study pint-sized poachers like Jermaine Defoe, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole.
Small and non-physical, but deadly.
Eto'o was also small but was probably a little more physical.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bushboy, Google [Bot], ikeo, Janganza, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group