Africa Cup of Nations: Comoros lodge Cameroon complaint

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47040434

Comoros must beat Cameroon in their final Africa Cup of Nations qualifier to reach the finals in Egypt
The Comoros Football Federation (FFC) has lodged a case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) over Cameroon's participation at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

A post on social media from the general manager of the Comoros team, Ben Amir Saadi, confirmed the move.

The Comoros believe that Cameroon should be excluded from the 2019 finals after having the hosting rights for the tournament withdrawn from them.

Comoros are in the same qualifying group as Cameroon, whom they face in March.

The FFC claims that Caf has failed to implement its own regulations concerning the action to be taken.

Caf rules (Article 92.3) state that if a nation withdraws from hosting or has the rights taken away one year before the finals, 'a fine of five hundred thousand (500,000) U.S. dollars and a suspension of the next edition of AFCON of it's A national team, without considering the concerned edition.'

The latter words would suggest that Cameroon's participation in the 2019 finals should not be affected.

However, it remains to be seen how the FFC's claim will impact, if at all, upon Cameroon's hosting of the 2021 Nations Cup, which it is now set to stage.

As things stand, the Nations Cup qualifier in March between Cameroon and the Comoros will decide who joins already-qualified Morocco in reaching the finals in Egypt, with the fourth team in Group B - Malawi - no long able to go through.

With Morocco on 10 points, Cameroon 8 and the Comoros 5, a draw in Cameroon will be enough for the Indomitable Lions to advance - while the Comoros must win to advance.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Africa Cup of Nations: Comoros lodge Cameroon complaint

Post by Enugu II »

I jus dey laff for dis kin complain. :rotf: I will be surprised if Comoros win this. They better focus on winning on the field.

The circumstance that led to withdrawing the rights from Cameroon was not solely attributable to Cameroon. For instance, just a year to the tourney, CAF increased number of participating countries from 16 to 24 while Cameroon had bid to host only 16 and were forced very late to prepare additional venues, accommodation, etc. In such circumstance, where CAF was indeed also culpable, how realistic is it for them to punish Cameroon with exclusion?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote:I jus dey laff for dis kin complain. :rotf: I will be surprised if Comoros win this. They better focus on winning on the field.

The circumstance that led to withdrawing the rights from Cameroon was not solely attributable to Cameroon. For instance, just a year to the tourney, CAF increased number of participating countries from 16 to 24 while Cameroon had bid to host only 16 and were forced very late to prepare additional venues, accommodation, etc. In such circumstance, where CAF was indeed also culpable, how realistic is it for them to punish Cameroon with exclusion?
CAF bailed out on Cameroon after a heavily guarded contingent of CAF inspectors drove through a hail of bullets from rebels in the Anglo-Cameroon region.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Kabalega wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I jus dey laff for dis kin complain. :rotf: I will be surprised if Comoros win this. They better focus on winning on the field.

CAF bailed out on Cameroon after a heavily guarded contingent of CAF inspectors drove through a hail of bullets from rebels in the Anglo-Cameroon region.
not true.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:

Chief Kabalega, how correct is this as written by you?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

camex wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47040434

Comoros must beat Cameroon in their final Africa Cup of Nations qualifier to reach the finals in Egypt
The Comoros Football Federation (FFC) has lodged a case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) over Cameroon's participation at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

A post on social media from the general manager of the Comoros team, Ben Amir Saadi, confirmed the move.

The Comoros believe that Cameroon should be excluded from the 2019 finals after having the hosting rights for the tournament withdrawn from them.

Comoros are in the same qualifying group as Cameroon, whom they face in March.

The FFC claims that Caf has failed to implement its own regulations concerning the action to be taken.

Caf rules (Article 92.3) state that if a nation withdraws from hosting or has the rights taken away one year before the finals, 'a fine of five hundred thousand (500,000) U.S. dollars and a suspension of the next edition of AFCON of it's A national team, without considering the concerned edition.'

The latter words would suggest that Cameroon's participation in the 2019 finals should not be affected.

However, it remains to be seen how the FFC's claim will impact, if at all, upon Cameroon's hosting of the 2021 Nations Cup, which it is now set to stage.

As things stand, the Nations Cup qualifier in March between Cameroon and the Comoros will decide who joins already-qualified Morocco in reaching the finals in Egypt, with the fourth team in Group B - Malawi - no long able to go through.

With Morocco on 10 points, Cameroon 8 and the Comoros 5, a draw in Cameroon will be enough for the Indomitable Lions to advance - while the Comoros must win to advance.
This is the most ridiculous protest ever...

Disqualify Cameroun after they played the qualifiers?

This protest belongs in the trash-bin...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

It was in a thread on CE, a few weeks before CAF made their announcement.
Apparently, someone in Biya's government notified the rebels of the CAF convoy's itinerary and they fired shots over the heavily guarded convoy. The CAF contingent promptly relayed their experience to HQ, who contacted Biya. But Biya stubbornly wanted to forge ahead.

CAF, still reeling from the Cabinda, Angola wahala, decided not to take any chances.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Apparently, someone in Biya's government notified the rebels of the CAF convoy's itinerary and they fired shots over the heavily guarded convoy. The CAF contingent promptly relayed their experience to HQ, who contacted Biya. But Biya stubbornly wanted to forge ahead.

CAF, still reeling from the Cabinda, Angola wahala, decided not to take any chances.
There are a lot of fake news on whats happening in Cameroon at the moment. Please post the dates and location of the attack so we can cross check the info.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

There are a lot of fake news on whats happening in Cameroon at the moment. Please post the dates and location of the attack so we can cross check the info.
If memory serves me right, you were a "vibrant" contributor to that thread. So please do some homework and dig up the CE thread.
I'm not going to do it for you!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I do see their point though. Cos before regardless of results against Cameroon you figured you could finish third below Cameroon and still qualify. Am I right?

So that could've affected your strategy for the qualifiers.

Since Egypt is now hosting, and they already qualified on the field, why don't they just leave things as is. Cameroon retains the hosts spot since Egypt don't need it?

This was how Nigeria was jobbed out of the last AFCON when Chad withdrew. It's so unfair on teams that had nothing to do with the withdrawal.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

comoros head no dey house ..I donot want to watch comoros vs madagascar come june
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

theYemster wrote:

I do see their point though. Cos before regardless of results against Cameroon you figured you could finish third below Cameroon and still qualify. Am I right?

Since Egypt is now hosting, and they already qualified on the field, why don't they just leave things as is. Cameroon retains the hosts spot since Egypt don't need it?

This was how Nigeria was jobbed out of the last AFCON when Chad withdrew. It's so unfair on teams that had nothing to do with the withdrawal.
I concur with you on this sha.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Robbynice wrote:
theYemster wrote:

What about the 3rd team in Egypt's group?
They will make noise especially if they still have a game to play regardless of whether the group standings will change.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Kabalega wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
theYemster wrote:

What about the 3rd team in Egypt's group?
They will make noise especially if they still have a game to play regardless of whether the group standings will change.
They already played the qualifiers under the assumption that they needed to finish in the top two to qualify. Comoros on the other hand played it under the assumption that they needed to finish third.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

theYemster wrote:

theYemster,

As I recall it, only one team was initially expected to qualify from Cameroon's group because as host (regardless of finish on the table), Cameroon would qualify as the second team. With Cameroon no longer host, that rule is then applied to Egypt's group. In essence, the rule for Cameroon's group is now switched to Egypt's group. Therefore, applying the rule that was initially designated for Egypt's group (as well as all other groups bar the group with the host country), two top teams now qualify from Cameroon's group. I hope this is clear.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

I no be lawyer but can the Ogbonge CE lawyers like Chief Ogbunigwe, Gotti etc answer this question free of charge

Is being stripped of an ANC hosting rights same thing as withdrawing from hosting the tournament?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cmoke wrote:I no be lawyer but can the Ogbonge CE lawyers like Chief Ogbunigwe, Gotti etc answer this question free of charge

Is being stripped of an ANC hosting rights same thing as withdrawing from hosting the tournament?
Usually the former host gets banned, that's what happened in 2000.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

But did Cameroon withdraw?

Cmoke
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cmoke wrote:But did Cameroon withdraw?

Cmoke
No, but neither did Zimbabwe, CAF took away the rights.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I don't know what people are talking about. There was never any rule that the 3rd place team in Cameroons group could qualify. Comoros are talking nonsense. The only team that could finish third and qualify was Cameroon. Cameroon being stripped of hosting changed nothing for Comoros calculations. Either way they would at least need to finish second to have any chance. Garbage complaint. The rules are clear and not hard to understand. Same way some people thought Ghana would not qualify.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Kabalega wrote:

Fiction
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

VE,

Could u pls explain the rules especially re Midgetville!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D

vancity eagle wrote:I don't know what people are talking about. There was never any rule that the 3rd place team in Cameroons group could qualify. Comoros are talking nonsense. The only team that could finish third and qualify was Cameroon. Cameroon being stripped of hosting changed nothing for Comoros calculations. Either way they would at least need to finish second to have any chance. Garbage complaint. The rules are clear and not hard to understand. Same way some people thought Ghana would not qualify.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

What was the point of Cameroon even being in the qualifiers? CAF may be run worse than any African govt.