RAWLINGS, HOW'S BOATENG FARING IN BARCELONA?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Obong
Egg
Egg
RAWLINGS, HOW'S BOATENG FARING IN BARCELONA?

Post by Obong »

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/boateng ... t5vt594t6j

Mark Doyle
Deputy Features Editor

The Blaugrana may have beaten Real Valladolid 1-0 to stretch their Liga lead but the display raised serious doubts over their Champions League hopes
First, the good news: Barcelona suffered no injuries in beating Real Valladolid 1-0 on Saturday night to move seven points clear at the top of La Liga.

Now, the bad news: everything else about this performance.

Indeed, the best thing that one could say about it was that the second half wasn't quite as horrid as the first.

Barcelona were atrocious in the opening 45 minutes, appearing to play the game as if it were literally a warm-up for next week’s Champions League clash with Lyon, and they only led at the interval thanks to a penalty from Lionel Messi.

In truth, they were lucky not to be behind, with Nacho having blown an extraordinary four-on-two break just moments before Gerard Pique – of all people – was bundled over in the Valladolid area in the 43rd minute.

The centre-half's decision to venture forward was hardly surprising.

Barca were slow and stagnant in midfield, and utterly ineffective in attack.

The temptation would of course be to blame Kevin Prince-Boateng, who endured a horrendous Liga debut for Barca.

However, it is not his fault that the Catalans opted for a cut-price option during the January transfer window when their need for another quality centre-forward has been evident since Paco Alcacer was allowed to join Borussia Dortmund at the start of the season.

Krzysztof Piatek was available but he was allowed to join AC Milan, meaning on the same night he was plundering his sixth goal in five appearances for the Rossoneri, Boateng was toiling up front for Barca.

It was actually tough to watch. The likeable and multi-talented striker nearly cleared the stand with one effort midway through the second half.

When he was put clean through on goal moments later, he didn't even manage to get a shot away, which prompted an embarrassing attempt to win a penalty, and then a desperate appeal for a corner.

Ultimately, he could do nothing but put his head in his hands.

This was a nightmare first Liga outing for Boateng after his dream move to Camp Nou and it will hit him hard.

But he shouldn't be made the scapegoat on a night when so many players underperformed.

As Pique pointed out afterwards, while this may have been a much-needed win for Barca after back-to-back draws in La Liga, they were collectively awful.

Lionel Messi Barcelona Valladolid

"It's important to pick up the three points, but we have not played well and the feelings on the pitch were not positive," he confessed.

"We struggled against them. We were not moving the ball quick enough and when we don't do that, we suffer."

Boateng's performance may have painfully illustrated how short on quality cover Barcelona remain up front but it is worth noting that main man Luis Suarez missed three sitters after being introduced midway through the second half.

The game also strengthened the suspicion that Ousmane Dembele is – at least until he matures – going to be one of those players who is either unstoppable or unwatchable.

The frustrating Frenchman was inevitably replaced by Philippe Coutinho, who, even more predictably, failed to impress.

Even the great Lionel Messi endured a frustrating evening, missing a second penalty in the dying stages that would have made the game safe.

As it was, Barcelona rather fell over the finish line, doing nothing to banish the suspicion that their Champions League hopes will once again hinge entirely upon Messi's genius.

That’s certainly not good news. In fact, it’s not even news at all!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: RAWLINGS, HOW'S BOATENG FARING IN BARCELONA?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Ghaninas offer nothing in world football
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

much better than Igha..oh nevermind

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Sometimes, I wish I was a Director of Football or Club Chief Executive. Let a coach come to my office and request a player like Boateng, Fellaini, Ramires, Ighalo...oh! Lord.... In the words of the African American, "I wish a niggga would!" That will be the last day that coach will be at the club. kai!! There is no way he will leave my office without his pink slip! Not possible!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Is Boateng even a real Ghananess player? Just because he played for them a World Cup doesn't mean he wants to be associated with them! He is terrible in a Barca shirt. This is similar to when Adebayor went to Real Madrid to disgrace himself!
Last edited by Undertaker on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:Sometimes, I wish I was a Director of Football or Club Chief Executive. Let a coach come to my office and request a player like Boateng, Fellaini, Ramires, Ighalo...oh! Lord.... In the words of the African American, "I wish a niggga would!" That will be the last day that coach will be at the club. kai!! There is no way he will leave my office without his pink slip! Not possible!
You do not count, you don't matter at all in the world of football. I repeat no footballing club will even look your way to hire you for anything. You are just a mist. Stop thinking you matter, you are just breathing the air of the earth
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Obong wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/boateng ... t5vt594t6j

Mark Doyle
Deputy Features Editor

The Blaugrana may have beaten Real Valladolid 1-0 to stretch their Liga lead but the display raised serious doubts over their Champions League hopes
First, the good news: Barcelona suffered no injuries in beating Real Valladolid 1-0 on Saturday night to move seven points clear at the top of La Liga.

Now, the bad news: everything else about this performance.

Indeed, the best thing that one could say about it was that the second half wasn't quite as horrid as the first.

Barcelona were atrocious in the opening 45 minutes, appearing to play the game as if it were literally a warm-up for next week’s Champions League clash with Lyon, and they only led at the interval thanks to a penalty from Lionel Messi.

In truth, they were lucky not to be behind, with Nacho having blown an extraordinary four-on-two break just moments before Gerard Pique – of all people – was bundled over in the Valladolid area in the 43rd minute.

The centre-half's decision to venture forward was hardly surprising.

Barca were slow and stagnant in midfield, and utterly ineffective in attack.

The temptation would of course be to blame Kevin Prince-Boateng, who endured a horrendous Liga debut for Barca.

However, it is not his fault that the Catalans opted for a cut-price option during the January transfer window when their need for another quality centre-forward has been evident since Paco Alcacer was allowed to join Borussia Dortmund at the start of the season.

Krzysztof Piatek was available but he was allowed to join AC Milan, meaning on the same night he was plundering his sixth goal in five appearances for the Rossoneri, Boateng was toiling up front for Barca.

It was actually tough to watch. The likeable and multi-talented striker nearly cleared the stand with one effort midway through the second half.

When he was put clean through on goal moments later, he didn't even manage to get a shot away, which prompted an embarrassing attempt to win a penalty, and then a desperate appeal for a corner.

Ultimately, he could do nothing but put his head in his hands.

This was a nightmare first Liga outing for Boateng after his dream move to Camp Nou and it will hit him hard.

But he shouldn't be made the scapegoat on a night when so many players underperformed.

As Pique pointed out afterwards, while this may have been a much-needed win for Barca after back-to-back draws in La Liga, they were collectively awful.

Lionel Messi Barcelona Valladolid

"It's important to pick up the three points, but we have not played well and the feelings on the pitch were not positive," he confessed.

"We struggled against them. We were not moving the ball quick enough and when we don't do that, we suffer."

Boateng's performance may have painfully illustrated how short on quality cover Barcelona remain up front but it is worth noting that main man Luis Suarez missed three sitters after being introduced midway through the second half.

The game also strengthened the suspicion that Ousmane Dembele is – at least until he matures – going to be one of those players who is either unstoppable or unwatchable.

The frustrating Frenchman was inevitably replaced by Philippe Coutinho, who, even more predictably, failed to impress.

Even the great Lionel Messi endured a frustrating evening, missing a second penalty in the dying stages that would have made the game safe.

As it was, Barcelona rather fell over the finish line, doing nothing to banish the suspicion that their Champions League hopes will once again hinge entirely upon Messi's genius.

That’s certainly not good news. In fact, it’s not even news at all!
we were there when he was isht..
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

tfco wrote:much better than Igha..oh nevermind
...he's prepping for Ghana's Afcon tourney this summer na.. :tic:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

The writer is blaming Barca's poor performance on one player? Lazy journalism.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:The writer is blaming Barca's poor performance on one player? Lazy journalism.
did you read the article?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

How is the Naija presidential "election" faring?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar