FIBA/NBA SHOWING BETTER VISION THAN FIFA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
FIBA/NBA SHOWING BETTER VISION THAN FIFA

Post by Bell »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/17/africa/n ... index.html

FIBA and the NBA are combining to start a pro league in several countries. This is of interest to me for two personal reasons:

1) Whereas FIBA and the NBA are pushing their sport into Africa, FIFA is cavalier about the fate of football in Africa and the rest of the world except W. Europe. Anyone who follows my posts closely may recall that I've been critical of FIFA because of this. I'm not asking to establish leagues around the world but to encourage their federations to look into it. The reaction from some on this site who viscerally reject new ideas is to say it's not FIFA's responsibility to start leagues around the world, even though it wasn't what I was pushing.

2) I've also proposed a W. African league of about 20 teams (give or take) with countries in the region contributing one to three teams, based on viability. It would be run professionally comparable to the European leagues. There are new features and ideas to come with this league. For example, a team located in Lagos can arrange to play some home games in Ibadan, the Enugu team to play in PH, etc. Again the naysayers rose: "Not enough fans", "bad national economy", "too much travel cost", etc. So people are seeing pitfalls where FIBA and the NBA are seeing opportunities, the bane of Africa.

I just hope that with FIBA/NBA doing this, they'll take a second look at the W. African league. (BTW, the WA league could be used as pilot project leading to the potential creation of leagues in N. Africa, C & E. Africa, and southern Africa,)
Bell
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg
Re: FIBA/NBA SHOWING BETTER VISION THAN FIFA

Post by DIMKA76 »

Since Sepp Blatter left or rather was removed, FIFA emphasis on African football infrastructure and development has waned considerably.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Bell wrote:https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/17/africa/n ... index.html

FIBA and the NBA are combining to start a pro league in several countries. This is of interest to me for two personal reasons:

1) Whereas FIBA and the NBA are pushing their sport into Africa, FIFA is cavalier about the fate of football in Africa and the rest of the world except W. Europe. Anyone who follows my posts closely may recall that I've been critical of FIFA because of this. I'm not asking to establish leagues around the world but to encourage their federations to look into it. The reaction from some on this site who viscerally reject new ideas is to say it's not FIFA's responsibility to start leagues around the world, even though it wasn't what I was pushing.

2) I've also proposed a W. African league of about 20 teams (give or take) with countries in the region contributing one to three teams, based on viability. It would be run professionally comparable to the European leagues. There are new features and ideas to come with this league. For example, a team located in Lagos can arrange to play some home games in Ibadan, the Enugu team to play in PH, etc. Again the naysayers rose: "Not enough fans", "bad national economy", "too much travel cost", etc. So people are seeing pitfalls where FIBA and the NBA are seeing opportunities, the bane of Africa.

I just hope that with FIBA/NBA doing this, they'll take a second look at the W. African league. (BTW, the WA league could be used as pilot project leading to the potential creation of leagues in N. Africa, C & E. Africa, and southern Africa,)
Bell
you could take the initiative. are you not old enough
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

FiFA goal project and etc.

FiFA is already king in Africa with CAF champions league and etc. What more do you want FiFA to do in Africa?

Where is CAF?

Where is the NFF?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

DIMKA76 wrote:Since Sepp Blatter left or rather was removed, FIFA emphasis on African football infrastructure and development has waned considerably.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT AFRICA ONLY; IN FACT...

...it's a world problem, except W. Europe, but no one in FIFA seems to notice or care.
Bell
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Basketball and football work very differently. FIBA is not as strong as FIFA for instance.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

jette1 wrote:

Bell
you could take the initiative. are you not old enough
YOU'RE RIGHT...

...I could take the initiative and that's what I'm doing right here. The first step is to recognize a problem and I've done so. While you don't know if I've done, or not done, anything behind the scene, you know that I'm not the one running football anywhere in the world. All I'm doing is alerting those who are.

(On a separate note, I think it's nice that you participate in debates on this site but why do assume a confrontational approach in most of your posts?)
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell
Bell
There is a major difference between the two sports in Africa and that should inform the issue. First, note that professional football already exists within countries all over Africa. Ofcourse, the levels differ in terms of success. This is the basis of continental club competitions now for almost 50 years.
In basketball, I am unaware of such continental club competition for a sustained period. This is specifically the void that FIBA and the NBA has stepped in to fill by ensuring such competition either on club or NT levels.
What is new in that regard that FIFA should introduce? They already exist in African football. WAFU already has competitions for NTs, women, and youth. So what would FIFA do that will be different?
I think that talk about FIFA help should be nuanced. In essence a focus in terms of fund, perhaps, to support what already exists.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ohenhen1 wrote:FiFA goal project and etc.

FiFA is already king in Africa with CAF champions league and etc. What more do you want FiFA to do in Africa?

Where is CAF?

Where is the NFF?
YOU'RE RIGHT TO CALL OUT CAF AND THE NFF, BECAUSE...

...they (and the other FIFA federations) are more immediately responsible. I just called out FIFA because if the federations fail, it falls on FIFA to pick up the baton. FIBA and the NBA did not ask, "What's NBBF doing?". They saw a problem/opportunity and they are acting. I don't know what you mean by FIFA being king in Africa - it is such complacency that leads to a fall. Even self-interest alone should compel FIFA to act because weak federations mean a weaker FIFA
Bell