And we blame kanu...............

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pharoah
Egg
Egg
And we blame kanu...............

Post by pharoah »

Oruma axe baffles coach

By Osasu Obayiuwana
BBC Sport, Monastir, Tunisia

Nigeria assistant manager Austin Eguavoen believes midfielder Wilson Oruma should have been given a chance to fight for a place in the squad.
Oruma was omitted from the Super Eagles' Cup of Nations squad, a situation former captain Equavoen was not happy with.

"I feel very bad about Oruma not being given a chance to fight for a place in this team," Eguavoen told BBC Sport in an exclusive interview on Saturday

"Left to me, Oruma would have a place in this team or at least been given a chance to fight for a shirt."

Eguavoen admitted that Oruma, who plays for French first division side Sochaux, has been in good form but said he was unable to persuade manager Christian Chukwu to extend an invitation to Oruma.

"I talked about Oruma's inclusion with the manager, as did Bitrus Bewerang (Nigeria's other assistant coach).

"We discussed this matter before we went to Portugal and he said that we would talk about it more when we got there.

"When we raised the matter in Portugal, he felt that Oruma, Nwankwo Kanu and Jay-Jay Okocha all played in central midfield and that there was no room for three central midfielders in the squad, so Oruma had to be left out.

"As Chukwu is the manager of this team, the final decision rests with him," Eguavoen said.

Eguavoen also declared he was surprised by the decision of Kanu to travel from England for a personal appearance at a promotional event for a milk company in Nigeria.

"I was not aware that Kanu was in Nigeria until he was in Lagos," Eguavoen said.

Kanu's colleagues were in Portugal preparing for the Cup of Nations at the time he made the surprise trip, which was after the official deadline for reporting for international duty.

The midfielder's conduct has raised questions over the level of discipline amongst national team members, as the Arsenal player had only been given leave to remain in England to play Premiership and Cup games.

"From the outside, people looking in would think that there is a lack of discipline [in the national team]," Eguavoen said.

"I can understand why people are unhappy with this behaviour.

"But this is a matter for the manager," Eguavoen

Can someone please tell me since when did Kanu become a midfield player?