IWUOBI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
IWUOBI

Post by jette1 »

IWUOBI (which by the way is the full correct spelling) was massive today; should have scored but nonetheless not found wanting
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: IWUOBI

Post by cchinukw »

He is usually massive for Arsenal.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

jette1 wrote:IWUOBI (which by the way is the full correct spelling) was massive today; should have scored but nonetheless not found wanting
How did you manage to come up with that? Well, freedom of speech inherently allows you to make things up but let’s think about this for a New York minute. Presumably, you are aware that Iwobi is from Onitsha and therefore, is an Igbo man. So, the first thing you should have asked yourself before making your postulation is, does Iwuobi mean anything in Igbo :?: :!:

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
jette1 wrote:IWUOBI (which by the way is the full correct spelling) was massive today; should have scored but nonetheless not found wanting
How did you manage to come up with that? Well, freedom of speech inherently allows you to make things up but let’s think about this for a New York minute. Presumably, you are aware that Iwobi is from Onitsha and therefore, is an Igbo man. So, the first thing you should have asked yourself before making your postulation is, does Iwuobi mean anything in Igbo :?: :!:

Cheers.
you wont ask that question if you even understood igbo 101 because 'iwobi' by itself has no meaning and is rather a derivative of either iwe-obi(ill feeling) or iwu-obi (will)

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

... and again, I ask you, what thought process did you use to determine it’s Iwuobi rather than Iweobi? ... and do tell me what iwuobi means in igbo, especially now that you’ve proclaimed yourself an Igbo 101 expert :!:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Iwe-obi. "Anger in the heart".
http://www.naijiant.com/
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

cic old boy wrote:Iwe-obi. "Anger in the heart".
:lol: :lol: primary school translation

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

cic old boy wrote:Iwe-obi. "Anger in the heart".
More like anger of the heart :!:

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:... and again, I ask you, what thought process did you use to determine it’s Iwuobi rather than Iweobi? ... and do tell me what iwuobi means in igbo, especially now that you’ve proclaimed yourself an Igbo 101 expert :!:
iwe-obi translates to - ill feeling which to me is negative
iwu-obi translates to - will which sound more positive and most people do name their kids will rather than ill feeling

the fact that it is a last name or surname is irrelevant

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

jette1 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:... and again, I ask you, what thought process did you use to determine it’s Iwuobi rather than Iweobi? ... and do tell me what iwuobi means in igbo, especially now that you’ve proclaimed yourself an Igbo 101 expert :!:
iwu-obi translates to - will which sound more positive and most people do name their kids will rather than ill feeling

From an Anioma Ibo translation:

Iwu - Law, legal, procedural

Obi - Heart

Translation - Upright heart.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

A concur with that translation and it is cosistent with the names WILL and JUSTICE which essentially embodies character, uprightness, drive, compliant, and just-heart

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

A concur with that translation and it is cosistent with the names WILL and JUSTICE which essentially embodies character, uprightness, drive, compliant, and just-heart
Nice conjecture about the meaning of Iwuobi. Personally, I think it means emotion, i.e. law or rule of the heart. Nevertheless, as someone who shares the same roots and ancestry as Iwobi, I am in a unique position to tell you emphatically that Iwobi’s name does not mean Iwuobi :!:

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cheers.
Is Iwobi from Onitsha?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

I think Iwu and Obi are basic word that have a universal meaning in all our dialects.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

jette1 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

Nice conjecture about the meaning of Iwuobi. Personally, I think it means emotion, i.e. law or rule of the heart. Nevertheless, as someone who shares the same roots and ancestry as Iwobi, I am in a unique position to tell you emphatically that Iwobi’s name does not mean Iwuobi :!:

Cheers.
I mostly agree; personally I would say it means -heart-felt- = Iwuobi
Nonetheless you said his name means something else pls do you care to share then

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote:
jette1 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

Cheers.
Nonetheless you said his name means something else pls do you care to share then
Heartfelt, emotions; we are really talking about the same thing. To be honest, I wasn’t aware until today that Iwuobi is a real person’s name albeit, not very common. However, Iwobi from my neck of the woods does not mean Iwuobi. We’ve already explored the only other viable option :!:

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

jette1 wrote:
jette1 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Obi - Heart

Cheers.
Heartfelt, emotions; we are really talking about the same thing. To be honest, I wasn’t aware until today that Iwuobi is a real person’s name albeit, not very common. However, Iwobi from my neck of the woods does not mean Iwuobi. We’ve already explored the only other viable option :!:

Cheers.
Ok I got you but
What does iwobi mean pls

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote:Ok I got you but
What does iwobi mean pls
It has already been pointed out that Iwobi is Iwe Obi. The common meaning of iwe is anger but it also means passion. So, Iwobi means Passion of the heart :!:

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

jette1 wrote:Ok I got you but
What does iwobi mean pls
It has already been pointed out that Iwobi is Iwe Obi. The common meaning of iwe is anger but it also means passion. So, Iwobi means Passion of the heart :!:

Cheers.
Nonsense because it’s such a stretch. I rather go with Iwuobi meaning -will of heart- or - Drive-
Iwe-Obi which means -ill-feeling of heart- isn’t usually used as a name.
Igbo experts please come in

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I asked Alex's uncle, my classmate from CIC and this is his reply: "It is Iwe obi egbunam ....obviously related to some age old family dispute which was later settled."

"Iwe obi egbunam" means "anger in the heart shouldn't kill me".

Once again, Jette has misfired.
http://www.naijiant.com/
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

cic old boy wrote:I asked Alex's uncle, my classmate from CIC and this is his reply: "It is Iwe obi egbunam ....obviously related to some age old family dispute which was later settled."

Makes total sense..............most(current) Igbo surnames are usually 'abbreviations' of 'statements'.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

cic old boy wrote:I asked Alex's uncle, my classmate from CIC and this is his reply: "It is Iwe obi egbunam ....obviously related to some age old family dispute which was later settled."

Thanks for the insight Chairman. :clap:
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

the egbunam at the end is the significant factor here because it again dilutes and stirs away from the otherwise negative term -IWE OBi- (meaning ill-feeling), That was my original stance ie rather negative and no parent would name their child -ill-feelings- without qualification at the end of it.