Rohr calls 23 players for Seychelles, Egypt- No Mikel Nacho

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr calls 23 players for Seychelles, Egypt- No Mikel Na

Post by bret- hart »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:This should have been a good opportunity for Rohr to cast his net in search of those who are on the cusp of making the team. The objective here should have been to source for talent to strengthen the squad in anticipation of the Nations Cup.

He missed an opportunity to take a look at the likes of Awoniyi and Akpom, who, not only play in more competitive leagues (Belgium & Greece) than Onuachu (Vejle BK in the Danish League - 5 goals), but are in better form and are more consistent. A wasted opportunity, if you ask me.

Likewise, inviting the likes of Daniel Akpeyi and Ezenwa, who are nearer to their 'sell by' date, instead of looking at better longer term prospects (like Dele Alampasu or Femi Kayode of Lobi Stars), was a cowardly move on Rohr's part.

Lastly, it would have been more productive to have invited the likes of Moses Odubajo (who is having a very good season with Brentford) and Mikel Agu (who had a great game vs Uganda) instead of Valentine Ozornwafor, who, for all intents and purposes, is nothing but training material and should be focusing on the upcoming U20 WC Qualifiers instead. A dumb decision on Rohr's part, if there ever was one.

Rohr has demonstrated, yet again, that he is incapable of taking the necessary risks to improve the pool of talent in the SE and might not have the what it takes to take this team to the next level, in my opinion. Instead, he decides to do the expedient thing and default to his usual suspects. What a whimp!
Enugu II wrote:I understand via a news report that Aina is injured. I also wonder about inclusion of Kalu considering his focus on the more concerning kidnap of his mother. Just my tuppence.

The rumour mill has it that the U23 is considering Apkom and Awoniy ( maybe that influenced the choices of the other strikers, plus he has played Oshimen in the past and Onachu fits his "One Tall striker Persona " ...

That midfield is thin ( nothing more to say here )..

The forwards - I think he likes forwards that can play multiple roles not just out and out strikers but make we watch and see.

I do think also the GK should have one home based and drop Akpeyi abeg.

Awonii already played u23 4years ago.He has payed his dues. Dude is in form now and should be considered for the SEs.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Nigerian coaches and their hatred for midfield. smh
danfo driver,

Where are you guys getting the idea that the midfield is too thin? Is it by merely looking at how players are listed? If it is, then the conclusion wrong.

I have looked at that list and there is NO LESS THAN ELEVEN (11) MIDFIELDERS in the squad regardless of how they have been listed. That is more than enough, if you ask me, out of 23 players! Here are the midfielders (I am going by how Rohr has used these guys in previous games):

Abdullahi Shehu
Ola Aina
Jamilu Collins
John Ogu
Wilfred Ndidi
Oghenekaro Etebo

Alex Iwobi
Simon Moses
Ahmed Musa
Samuel Kalu
Semi Ajayi (Can play here as well)

Always remember that when the team lines-up three at the back, the likes of Aina, Shehu, and Jamilu are not on the bench. They are used as midfielders.

When four are in the back, the likes of Musa, Simon, and Kalu play as wide midfielders. Further, although Iwobi is listed as a forward,, he usually pays as the most advanced central midfielder or wide as a midfielder.
I believe danfo is referring specifically to those in Central Midfield (i highlighted) positions rather than the makeshift Wingers we also parade. IMO it would do us a lot of favours to stack up in that position as it has been our biggest issue as a team, struggling to dictate to pace of a game or keep possession of the ball when under pressure, Rohr's biggest blunder at the World Cup.
Seeing how he's called up 5 Central Defenders, hopefully he won't be playing our Midfielders as Defenders for once and vice versa
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

bret- hart wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:This should have been a good opportunity for Rohr to cast his net in search of those who are on the cusp of making the team. The objective here should have been to source for talent to strengthen the squad in anticipation of the Nations Cup.

He missed an opportunity to take a look at the likes of Awoniyi and Akpom, who, not only play in more competitive leagues (Belgium & Greece) than Onuachu (Vejle BK in the Danish League - 5 goals), but are in better form and are more consistent. A wasted opportunity, if you ask me.

Likewise, inviting the likes of Daniel Akpeyi and Ezenwa, who are nearer to their 'sell by' date, instead of looking at better longer term prospects (like Dele Alampasu or Femi Kayode of Lobi Stars), was a cowardly move on Rohr's part.

Lastly, it would have been more productive to have invited the likes of Moses Odubajo (who is having a very good season with Brentford) and Mikel Agu (who had a great game vs Uganda) instead of Valentine Ozornwafor, who, for all intents and purposes, is nothing but training material and should be focusing on the upcoming U20 WC Qualifiers instead. A dumb decision on Rohr's part, if there ever was one.

Rohr has demonstrated, yet again, that he is incapable of taking the necessary risks to improve the pool of talent in the SE and might not have the what it takes to take this team to the next level, in my opinion. Instead, he decides to do the expedient thing and default to his usual suspects. What a whimp!
Enugu II wrote:I understand via a news report that Aina is injured. I also wonder about inclusion of Kalu considering his focus on the more concerning kidnap of his mother. Just my tuppence.

The rumour mill has it that the U23 is considering Apkom and Awoniy ( maybe that influenced the choices of the other strikers, plus he has played Oshimen in the past and Onachu fits his "One Tall striker Persona " ...

That midfield is thin ( nothing more to say here )..

The forwards - I think he likes forwards that can play multiple roles not just out and out strikers but make we watch and see.

I do think also the GK should have one home based and drop Akpeyi abeg.

Awonii already played u23 4years ago.He has payed his dues. Dude is in form now and should be considered for the SEs.
Don't see what the big deal is though, he wasn't too spectacular for the team and didn't even make the squad for Rio as there were better forwards ahead of him. Personally I want to see him put up a dominant performance for our U23's to consider him IMO.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Nigerian coaches and their hatred for midfield. smh
danfo driver,

Where are you guys getting the idea that the midfield is too thin? Is it by merely looking at how players are listed? If it is, then the conclusion wrong.

I have looked at that list and there is NO LESS THAN ELEVEN (11) MIDFIELDERS in the squad regardless of how they have been listed. That is more than enough, if you ask me, out of 23 players! Here are the midfielders (I am going by how Rohr has used these guys in previous games):

Abdullahi Shehu
Ola Aina
Jamilu Collins
John Ogu
Wilfred Ndidi
Oghenekaro Etebo

Alex Iwobi
Simon Moses
Ahmed Musa
Samuel Kalu
Semi Ajayi (Can play here as well)

Always remember that when the team lines-up three at the back, the likes of Aina, Shehu, and Jamilu are not on the bench. They are used as midfielders.

When four are in the back, the likes of Musa, Simon, and Kalu play as wide midfielders. Further, although Iwobi is listed as a forward,, he usually pays as the most advanced central midfielder or wide as a midfielder.
I believe danfo is referring specifically to those in Central Midfield (i highlighted) positions rather than the makeshift Wingers we also parade. IMO it would do us a lot of favours to stack up in that position as it has been our biggest issue as a team, struggling to dictate to pace of a game or keep possession of the ball when under pressure, Rohr's biggest blunder at the World Cup.
Seeing how he's called up 5 Central Defenders, hopefully he won't be playing our Midfielders as Defenders for once and vice versa
Sunset,

Is Iwobi not used also as a central midfielder? You have not highlighted his name. In my opinion, Rohr has more than enough. In his formation, the most central midfielders than he ever uses is three. The rest are on the bench. If you have highlighted five plus Iwobi, that is six total for three starting positions at the most.

In terms of dictating the middle, the issue isn't necessarily numbers but the invitation of players capable of holding the ball and efficiently distributing it. In reality, Nigeria currently has just one such player -- Mikel Obi -- and he was not called up. What we often have are those active in ball recovery but little else. Then some like Iwobi with vision but not great in holding up the ball without turning it over.

On the five central defenders? My thought is that he wants to keep the option of playing three in the back. To do that he needs cover in case of injuries and thus the need to have no less than five. With that reason, he could quite logically make a case for a sixth and even a seventh (see Semi Ajayi and John Ogu both listed as midfielders).

I think, and the bottomline, is that several of these players are not welded to a single position. They can play in multiple positions and we should begin to think in those terms of personnel flexibility rather than personnel inflexibility.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Otitokoro wrote:Considering the fact that 'Samu' has been warming the bench and has had bit part roles for the better part of this year, while Simon and Henry have been starting for their clubs over the past month and beyond, it would have been incredibly silly of the coach to have invited 'Samu' ahead of these two.
9jaMan wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:Great list.

8. ROhr seems to prefer Simon and Henry over Samuel
Only a brainless coach will prefer Simon over Chukweze. Thunder fire Rohr

Samu is a special talent, it's obvious every time he plays even if it's as a sub. Simon cannot do half of what Samu does effortlessly. Simon is not SE material. Rohr continues to invite trash players like Simon and akpeyi thus exposing his cluelessness.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

bret- hart wrote:Nana Bonsu and Femi Kayode have been in good form playing in the CAF competitions yet despite that Rhor continues to invite crap keepers like Akpeyi and Ezenwa. :laugh: What a joke.
Nana Bonsu is one of the best keepers in the local league, and may actually be the best, but he is Ghanaian.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

That midfield is poor. Should at least taken a look at Azubuike and etc. Instead he invited a converted defender to play midfield.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ukwala wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Nana Bonsu and Femi Kayode have been in good form playing in the CAF competitions yet despite that Rhor continues to invite crap keepers like Akpeyi and Ezenwa. :laugh: What a joke.
Nana Bonsu is one of the best keepers in the local league, and may actually be the best, but he is Ghanaian.
He should apply for Nigerian citizenhip.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Damunk wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Won't be the first, there was Leotis Boateng before him!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ukwala wrote:
Don't mind the mugu. I doubt if that silly boy has ever even stepped foot in Nigeria. I think he's a sauerkraut Nigeria from the hood in east bloc of Germany now trying to claim Nigeria. oloshi :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

ukwala wrote:
Damunk wrote:
ukwala wrote:

Wiki has him listed as a Nigerian.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

bret- hart wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Damunk wrote:
ukwala wrote:

Wiki has him listed as a Nigerian.
Wiki is not reliable. Any one can change the information on wiki. That is why school professors tell students if you cite wikipedia your paper will get an automatic 0 grade.

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Don't mind the mugu. I doubt if that silly boy has ever even stepped foot in Nigeria. I think he's a sauerkraut Nigeria from the hood in east bloc of Germany now trying to claim Nigeria. oloshi :laugh:

Visited Naija last year. We all know you havent been to Nigeria since you got here cos you have no papers. $@#% stain.

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

bret- hart wrote:
ukwala wrote:

Visited Naija last year. We all know you havent been to Nigeria since you got here cos you have no papers. $@#% stain.
what a clueless thot, after years of dissing Ghana you want to call up one of her players.

Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The list was likely finalized before the criminal elements of Nigeria struck again. Aina's injury is not serious.
Bros
That is not a good excuse. Was the list released before the kidnap news broke? That is what is crucial.

In any case, I hope they can free him to deal with the more important matter.

You should know how the process go by now. Coach compiles a list, submits it to NFF then the NFF releases the list. The news about the kidnapping of his mom broke this morning, the same day the list was released. I don't see how he could have been omitted unless it was known to them that this horrible event would happen.
E
Emir

Not to labor on the point but the Kalu story broke earlier yesterday. In any case, I trust that Rohr will do the right thing.

Why do you think he should have been left off because of the news his mother was kidnapped?
Uncle, how do you keep getting your client on the team?

I get client I wan hawk.

No tell me na God o...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

King Futcha wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
ukwala wrote:

what a clueless thot, after years of dissing Ghana you want to call up one of her players.

Ah yes the 2nd village angel* has come to entertain me. How nice.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cellular wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The list was likely finalized before the criminal elements of Nigeria struck again. Aina's injury is not serious.
Bros
That is not a good excuse. Was the list released before the kidnap news broke? That is what is crucial.

In any case, I hope they can free him to deal with the more important matter.

You should know how the process go by now. Coach compiles a list, submits it to NFF then the NFF releases the list. The news about the kidnapping of his mom broke this morning, the same day the list was released. I don't see how he could have been omitted unless it was known to them that this horrible event would happen.
E
Emir

Not to labor on the point but the Kalu story broke earlier yesterday. In any case, I trust that Rohr will do the right thing.

Why do you think he should have been left off because of the news his mother was kidnapped?
Uncle, how do you keep getting your client on the team?

I get client I wan hawk.

No tell me na God o...
One word ...cabal!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

maceo4 wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Simeon Nwankwo 2.0
wale1974 wrote:Paul Onuachu (FC Midtjyland, Denmark) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Finally
Leave them, you for call am Uchebo 3.0 sef :rotf: :rotf:
Thread Bookmarked for future clapback. :roll:

I still remember your comments about how Simon was more of a prospect than Kalu a few years ago. :taunt:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

fabio wrote:We are playing the footballing power house Seychelles and the team is made up of all Foreign based players :thumbs: :thumbs:
Germany just ousted Jerome Boateng, Thomas Mueller and Hummels...all players around 30 years of age. We are still trying to hang on to a player that offers nothing.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

walesvilla wrote:http://www.naijafootballplus.com/rohr-c ... les-egypt/

Goalkeepers: Francis Uzoho (Anorthosis Famagusta, Cyprus); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Katsina United); Daniel Akpeyi (Kaizer Chiefs, South Africa)

Defenders: Olaoluwa Aina (Torino FC, Italy); Abdullahi Shehu (Bursaspor FC, Turkey); Valentine Ozornwafor (Enyimba FC); Chidozie Awaziem (Caykur Rizespor, Turkey); William Ekong (Udinese FC, Italy); Leon Balogun (Brighton & Hove Albion, England); Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany)

Midfielders: Semi Ajayi (Rotherham United, England); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (Stoke City FC, England); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Al Nassar FC, Saudi Arabia); Victor Osimhen (Charleroi SC, Belgium); Moses Simon (Levante FC, Spain); Henry Onyekuru (Galatasaray SK, Turkey); Odion Ighalo (Shanghai Shenhua, China); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Samuel Kalu (Girondins Bordeaux, France); Paul Onuachu (FC Midtjyland, Denmark)

Rohr taking style wishing Mikel a happy retirement to International football- if he Missed this Nations cup - Bye to SE.

Very young squads, the future is very bright. I wish he had not chosen Odion Ighalo...lets get some young fresh strikers a chance.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I am still not sold on the left and right FB. Should have looked at new options. Should have invited Azubuike and another midfielder.
Chukwuzee should have been invited.

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

bret- hart wrote:
King Futcha wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
ukwala wrote:

Ah yes the 2nd village angel* has come to entertain me. How nice.
most people stop to look at a car crash.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.