Current best defenders in world football.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Current best defenders in world football.

Post by benteke »

I know that in EPL quality is not very high, saw it's a been a while since EPL has witnessed real world class defenders on a consistent basis, the last ones where the likes of Kompany but standards where already dropping because people like Rio Ferdinand and the likes of John Terry etc where now old.

But these days there is a growing momentum of opinion being pushed that Virgil Van Dijk is currently the best defender in Europe on form and technique. But i would like to think that extends to EPL only, other leagues must have similar quality or better for a while.
Surely even in EPL there must be some small competition there for him.

Who are the best defenders in Europe and world football right now
Cally
Egg
Egg
Re: Current best defenders in world football.

Post by Cally »

I rate the likes of Laporte (City), Chiellini (Juve), Varane/Ramos (Real), Godin (Athletico), Umtiti (Barca), Marquinhos (PSG), Zagadou (Dortmund upcoming), among others.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Cally wrote:I rate the likes of Laporte (City), Chiellini (Juve), Varane/Ramos (Real), Godin (Athletico), Umtiti (Barca), Marquinhos (PSG), Zagadou (Dortmund upcoming), among others.
All are better than Van dijk. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Koulibaly.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Defence like most things, e.g. attack, in a team sport, is a team effort.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Pique is the best defender in the World period!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Undertaker wrote:Pique is the best defender in the World period!

I don't trust Mr. Piique Shakira. Dude is soft. Kulibaly for me is the best defender in the world right now.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bret- hart wrote:

I don't trust Mr. Piique Shakira. Dude is soft. Kulibaly for me is the best defender in the world right now.

Did you watched him the last two games against YeYe Madrid? The dude was amazing!
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Godin
Ramos
Koulibaly
Pique
Van Dijk
Chielini
If you rate em on timing of tackles,organization of defense, pace, anticipation, technical ability to play ball out of the back ( My favorite and Pique/Koulibaly leads there) recovery, Aerial strength and scoring goals ( Ramos leads in that one) it will be razor thin who wins it.
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

The real deal wrote:Godin
Ramos
Koulibaly
Pique
Van Dijk
Chielini
If you rate em on timing of tackles,organization of defense, pace, anticipation, technical ability to play ball out of the back ( My favorite and Pique/Koulibaly leads there) recovery, Aerial strength and scoring goals ( Ramos leads in that one) it will be razor thin who wins it.
Good list. Pique in particular has been stealth stella this year. His not the fastest, but he has to be one of the smartest defenders around today.
Van Dijk is a freaking beast.

I'm gonna make a prediction though. One day, either Trost Ekong or Omeruo will make top 10 best defenders in the world list.
I have been watching them closely and they are the 2 best central defenders the Super Eagles have ever had talent wise. They might not be paying for top clubs (yet), but they are the backbones of their teams defense and are both playing in the best leagues to hone their craft to perfection.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

charlie wrote:
The real deal wrote:Godin
Ramos
Koulibaly
Pique
Van Dijk
Chielini
Good list. Pique in particular has been stealth stella this year. His not the fastest, but he has to be one of the smartest defenders around today.
Van Dijk is a freaking beast.

I'm gonna make a prediction though. One day, either Trost Ekong or Omeruo will make top 10 best defenders in the world list.
I have been watching them closely and they are the 2 best central defenders the Super Eagles have ever had talent wise. They might not be paying for top clubs (yet), but they are the backbones of their teams defense and are both playing in the best leagues to hone their craft to perfection.
Amen o!
Its a dream we'd love to become reality and I'm so happy Omeruo has begun to realise his full potential in Spain.
I see him as the next bona fide SE captain, even ahead of Ekong.

Long may their progress continue.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Virgil and Koulibally to me are the best CBs along with the France Varane and not the one for Madrid
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Virgil and Koulibally to me are the best CBs along with the France Varane and not the one for Madrid

Great list. My push back is that I do not believe Virgil has been FULLY tested yet
Same with koulibaly
Methink Ramos is better than Varane (razor thin)
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Virgil is the best,i will take him over anyone else.I watch him France vs Hallond and i know what he did to those France attacking beast on both leg,big fast read the game and fast for a guy of his size,reason Liverpool defense is the best in EPL so far
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Koulibaly, Virgil, Varane, Umpacano and De Ligt
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Spicyee
Egg
Egg

Post by Spicyee »

Godin
Jose Gimenez
Ramos
Koulibaly
Umtiti
Van Dijk
Chiellini
Bonucci
Thiago Silva
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Undertaker wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

Did you watched him the last two games against YeYe Madrid? The dude was amazing!
Defending agaisnt Madrid these days is nothing. They are a useless team. Did you see what My Ajax did to them in their turf?
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bret- hart wrote:
Undertaker wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

Defending agaisnt Madrid these days is nothing. They are a useless team. Did you see what My Ajax did to them in their turf?

Men, Fake Madrid are a tribble team o! See how Ajax Amsterdam turned them to a garbage team!