U23: LIBYA 2 vs NIGERIA 0 (FT) (March 2019)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U23: LIBYA 2 vs NIGERIA 0 (FT)

Post by Sir V »

bushboy wrote:Thanks for posting this video. From what I saw here, it wasn't as bad a performance as I expected based on the result. For a team of players who had never played together before they actually didn't do too bad. I'm confident thst with a few training sessions together, we should be able to win the return leg. Can we score 3 goals? That's the question.
Make we dey see.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sir V wrote:
bushboy wrote:Thanks for posting this video. From what I saw here, it wasn't as bad a performance as I expected based on the result. For a team of players who had never played together before they actually didn't do too bad. I'm confident thst with a few training sessions together, we should be able to win the return leg. Can we score 3 goals? That's the question.
Make we dey see.
Bro V, the only thing that worries me now is seeing the state of that Asaba pitch today... :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Common sense prevails...

Source
Rescue Mission – NFF Seconds Onyekuru, Awaziem, Ozornwafor & Osimhen To U23 For Libya Tie
March 22, 20190543

‎The Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) has proposed the Super Eagles quartet of Henry Onyekuru, Chidozie Awaziem, Valentine Ozornwafor and Victor Osimhen to the Nigeria U23 team.

Nigeria U23 are facing the task of overturning a two goal deficit suffered against Libya in the first leg of the qualifiers for the Africa U23 Cup of Nations ‎, hence the decision of the NFF to draft the four players to aid the team.

Onyekuru and Osimhen will provide the team the much needed cutting edge in attack while Ozornwafor and Awaziem will give the team some level of steel in defence, something they lacked in the first leg.

Coach Imama Amapakabo and his wards are back in training for the tie on Monday in Asaba and it is believed that he has given his blessings to the plan to draft the Super Eagles quartet to his team.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Great move. Some proven strikers and defensive guys. Exactly what the doctor ordered. This should spell better prospect for Monday.
Otitokoro wrote:Common sense prevails...

Source
Rescue Mission – NFF Seconds Onyekuru, Awaziem, Ozornwafor & Osimhen To U23 For Libya Tie
March 22, 20190543

‎The Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) has proposed the Super Eagles quartet of Henry Onyekuru, Chidozie Awaziem, Valentine Ozornwafor and Victor Osimhen to the Nigeria U23 team.

Nigeria U23 are facing the task of overturning a two goal deficit suffered against Libya in the first leg of the qualifiers for the Africa U23 Cup of Nations ‎, hence the decision of the NFF to draft the four players to aid the team.

Onyekuru and Osimhen will provide the team the much needed cutting edge in attack while Ozornwafor and Awaziem will give the team some level of steel in defence, something they lacked in the first leg.

Coach Imama Amapakabo and his wards are back in training for the tie on Monday in Asaba and it is believed that he has given his blessings to the plan to draft the Super Eagles quartet to his team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Kid was slow on the ball and only wanted to show boat in this game. He was rather poor in this match and I hope he is dropped for Kingsley Michael who, surprisingly was left on the bench.
Little wonder why he seems to be struggling and validates the rationale behind Porto B's decision to pass on the chance to sign him recently.
maceo4 wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote::lol: :lol: youth football, that nwakali is one overrated junk

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
I no wan talk but after watching the video the bobo might not be the smart player we thought he was, constantly overdoing things and losing the ball in dangerous positions with available options free all around him. No wonder he is still playing youth footie...
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Gotti wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Make we dey see.
Bro V, the only thing that worries me now is seeing the state of that Asaba pitch today... :oops:
True. I think it will be more difficult for the Libyans to play on it.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Just read that Onyekuru will stay with the SE and, instead, Francis Uzoho has been sent to the U23 considering the top goalkeeper at U23 is suspended for Monday's game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:Just read that Onyekuru will stay with the SE and, instead, Francis Uzoho has been sent to the U23 considering the top goalkeeper at U23 is suspended for Monday's game.
They should stay with the SE...

Normally would be relieved by the drafting of Uzoho, but given his recent club woes and his clanger today not quite sure he will be an upgrade. As for the rest, Awaziem is frankly surplus to requirements. He may be a more experienced and tested player but the team’s problems were hardly in central defense, and it’s an area where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and thus chemistry is vital. Meanwhile, here’s hoping that we do not make the same mistake that we regularly make (most epitomized by Siasia in that ill-fated 2012 AFCON qualifier home clincher) of throwing in a bunch of strikers in the stead of an attack. Just praying we don’t pay the costly price of non-qualification with this panicky fire-brigade move. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Oremade looked good at the U20 nations cup so I'm ok with him starting. The outfield players are more needed than Uzoho.

Not bailing on Uzoho, but Rohr needs to start trying other goalkeeping options. Uzoho, Ezenwa, and Akpeyi don't inspire confidence. He needs to invite Nwokolor and possibly one of the U23 goalies or a younger goalie from the NPFL for subsequent friendlies.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti,

That U23 team in Tunis was very poor in the attack. Lacked serious ideas. They need all the help they can get personnel wise and then hope the coaching can help with just a few days to go. But they need help. Bad enough they have not trained long together. Upgrading the talent may just help tip them over the determined Libyan defense.

Fire brigade? But the current team is built using the fire brigade approach already so what makes calling up these guys different? Nothing, in my opinion and I am one of those that will take chemistry over building via fire brigade. The fact that the new call ups have played together with SE may be more helpful. Maybe, if we had a team that had been together for a while then I can understand calling this free brigade. But that isn't the case with the U23 team.
Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Just read that Onyekuru will stay with the SE and, instead, Francis Uzoho has been sent to the U23 considering the top goalkeeper at U23 is suspended for Monday's game.

Normally would be relieved by the drafting of Uzoho, but given his recent club woes and his clanger today not quite sure he will be an upgrade. As for the rest, Awaziem is frankly surplus to requirements. He may be a more experienced and tested player but the team’s problems were hardly in central defense, and it’s an area where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and thus chemistry is vital. Meanwhile, here’s hoping that we do not make the same mistake that we regularly make (most epitomized by Siasia in that ill-fated 2012 AFCON qualifier home clincher) of throwing in a bunch of strikers in the stead of an attack. Just praying we don’t pay the costly price of non-qualification with this panicky fire-brigade move. SMH
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Gotti wrote:

Have to disagree with you on Awaziem gotti, not only is he our best U23 CD his chemistry with Azubuike will come in handy. And if he does struggle with this assignment it wouldn't help his case to bench Balogun.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sunset wrote:Have to disagree with you on Awaziem gotti, not only is he our best U23 CD his chemistry with Azubuike will come in handy. And if he does struggle with this assignment it wouldn't help his case to bench Balogun.
Awaziem’s “chemistry” with Azubuike is less important that how well he partners with the other CB...

Again, central defense is an area where how well the pair of CBs (in a back-four) work together is arguably considerably more important than the individual skills of any one particular player (even assuming the veracity of your unsubstantiated proclamation of Awaziem as “our best U23 CD” - by which I presume you are simply concluding from his playing club football in Turkey, as opposed to his homebased bethren). Sadly, we seem to be making that mistake of simply cobbling names together - something that the likes of OHENHEN1 and VE could do, without the aid of a professional coaching certificate.

Anyway, perhaps Awaziem and Ozornwafor have been playing in tandem at the SE camp (albeit for just a few days), and thus if fielded together may have a semblance of working chemistry between them.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:Gotti,

That U23 team in Tunis was very poor in the attack. Lacked serious ideas. They need all the help they can get personnel wise and then hope the coaching can help with just a few days to go. But they need help. Bad enough they have not trained long together. Upgrading the talent may just help tip them over the determined Libyan defense.

Fire brigade? But the current team is built using the fire brigade approach already so what makes calling up these guys different? Nothing, in my opinion and I am one of those that will take chemistry over building via fire brigade. The fact that the new call ups have played together with SE may be more helpful. Maybe, if we had a team that had been together for a while then I can understand calling this free brigade. But that isn't the case with the U23 team.
And so the Osimhen, apparently bursting with “ideas”, will resolve it all by himself? :lol:

First, if the team had trouble unlocking a packed-in defense, then the problem was MORE with the midfield not creating enough and/or breaking down the defense than with the attack - which btw will still most likely start the same wide players who started in Tunisia in Chukwueze and Bonaventure (with Okereke in reserve), and yet no new midfielders had been called up.

Nonetheless, it is going to be a significantly different atmosphere (and most likely consequently a different ball game) in Asaba on Monday, in familiar surroundings and with the crowd (hopefully a sizable number of folks show up) solidly behind them and urging them on. Anyone who has played football recognizes that these seemingly ephemeral things make a HUGE difference.

GOOD LUCK TO THE LADS! But it’s a bad precedent (hopefully one that we survive).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti,

I think you are confusing things here. If we had a settled U23 team (chemistry and all), then I can understand why this sudden call up of SE players constitute an aberrant "fire brigade approach." But that is far from the case here. The situation here is that the team is being built from the scratch. There is no settled U23 team yet. Thus, calling up players from SE at this time is not aberrant.

If the situation was the former, I would certainly agree with you because it would definitely be a poor option compared to using a settled squad. There are previous examples going back to our failure on a WCQ against Tunisia in 1982 when the likes of Usiyan, Andy Atuegbu, Chukwu, etc were all called up and eventually the result adversely affected a team that was already settled. However, that is far from the case here.
Gotti wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Gotti,

And so the Osimhen, apparently bursting with “ideas”, will resolve it all by himself? :lol:

First, if the team had trouble unlocking a packed-in defense, then the problem was MORE with the midfield not creating enough and/or breaking down the defense than with the attack - which btw will still most likely start the same wide players who started in Tunisia in Chukwueze and Bonaventure (with Okereke in reserve), and yet no new midfielders had been called up.

Nonetheless, it is going to be a significantly different atmosphere (and most likely consequently a different ball game) in Asaba on Monday, in familiar surroundings and with the crowd (hopefully a sizable number of folks show up) solidly behind them and urging them on. Anyone who has played football recognizes that these seemingly ephemeral things make a HUGE difference.

GOOD LUCK TO THE LADS! But it’s a bad precedent (hopefully one that we survive).
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
john12 wrote:The more I see results like this makes me appreciate ROHR more. I remember SE struggling against
All manner of teams in Africa away and losing or drawing. Now, rohr has normalize qualifying from African groups with a game in hand and people still have the nerve to open their STINKING mouth to insult him. SMH
Quit comparing chalk with cheese...

Assembling players who have never played together before and, with barely ONE DAY of practice, playing a competitive away game is nowhere near anything that Rohr has ever faced with the SE.
Are you minding him?

This is actually more on the NFF, including Rohr who is as dumb as rocks. A smarter & more hardworking coach would have known that the same team (for the most part) should have played the 3 matches coming up.

2 teams made sense if both games were on the weekend, but once it was clear that this game was on a Wednesday, then the likes of Uzoho, Ndidi, Ebuehi, Onyekuru, Osimhen, Iwobi, Ajayi (excuse me if any of the above is not eligible for U-23) should have been the core of this team, and flown directly to Tunis.

The 5-6 over 23 guys the German wants to see over the weekend could have flown directly to Nigeria to wait for them

After taking care of business, they fly to Nigeria for the Academic games coming up.
:blink: :???: :blink: :???: :blink: :???: :blink:
Let me break it down for you.

About half of the players we have used from the time the WC started are U-23.

We have 3 games in a week. One is a friendly, one is effectively meaningless, and one is an Olympic qualifier.

A little bit of thinking & scheduling would have ensured we filed out today with something close to our National team, & not one with players who may have never met each other before yesterday.
Its an opinion which you are entitled to.
The explanation wasn't needed cos it was clear what you were thinking.
However, your suggestion really get as e be. :idea:
Imama doesn't appear to be a very smart chap & I might just tell him when I see him (so if una hear say SE assistant coach confronts fan in team hotel, you might have a clue to what went down ). I used to respect the guy as one of the up & coming local coaches, but you keep making the same mistake all over again.

This is a FIFA window. It does not matter who will be available for the U-23 Nation's Cup or not, put the best players/team you can present together & make sure you get there. The Ukraine friendly should take a backseat for U-23 players.

In terms of global soccer national tournaments, the Olympics are only superseded by the World Cup & the Confed Cup. We should be doing everything to qualify. Now we're in a hole again vs Sudan & they want to draft players in again.

I won't even waste time with those confidently screaming inferior logic on these pages. You might get it if you think about it long enough.

https://punchng.com/imama-gets-okereke- ... qualifier/
Club Brugge striker David Okereke and Orji Okwonkwo, who features for MLS club Montreal Impact, have been drafted for Tuesday’s U23 AFCON playoff return leg against Sudan in Asaba
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

truetalk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
john12 wrote:The more I see results like this makes me appreciate ROHR more. I remember SE struggling against
All manner of teams in Africa away and losing or drawing. Now, rohr has normalize qualifying from African groups with a game in hand and people still have the nerve to open their STINKING mouth to insult him. SMH
Quit comparing chalk with cheese...

Assembling players who have never played together before and, with barely ONE DAY of practice, playing a competitive away game is nowhere near anything that Rohr has ever faced with the SE.
Are you minding him?

This is actually more on the NFF, including Rohr who is as dumb as rocks. A smarter & more hardworking coach would have known that the same team (for the most part) should have played the 3 matches coming up.

2 teams made sense if both games were on the weekend, but once it was clear that this game was on a Wednesday, then the likes of Uzoho, Ndidi, Ebuehi, Onyekuru, Osimhen, Iwobi, Ajayi (excuse me if any of the above is not eligible for U-23) should have been the core of this team, and flown directly to Tunis.

The 5-6 over 23 guys the German wants to see over the weekend could have flown directly to Nigeria to wait for them

After taking care of business, they fly to Nigeria for the Academic games coming up.
:blink: :???: :blink: :???: :blink: :???: :blink:
Let me break it down for you.

About half of the players we have used from the time the WC started are U-23.

We have 3 games in a week. One is a friendly, one is effectively meaningless, and one is an Olympic qualifier.

A little bit of thinking & scheduling would have ensured we filed out today with something close to our National team, & not one with players who may have never met each other before yesterday.
Its an opinion which you are entitled to.
The explanation wasn't needed cos it was clear what you were thinking.
However, your suggestion really get as e be. :idea:
Imama doesn't appear to be a very smart chap & I might just tell him when I see him (so if una hear say SE assistant coach confronts fan in team hotel, you might have a clue to what went down ). I used to respect the guy as one of the up & coming local coaches, but you keep making the same mistake all over again.

This is a FIFA window. It does not matter who will be available for the U-23 Nation's Cup or not, put the best players/team you can present together & make sure you get there. The Ukraine friendly should take a backseat for U-23 players.

In terms of global soccer national tournaments, the Olympics are only superseded by the World Cup & the Confed Cup. We should be doing everything to qualify. Now we're in a hole again vs Sudan & they want to draft players in again.

I won't even waste time with those confidently screaming inferior logic on these pages. You might get it if you think about it long enough.

https://punchng.com/imama-gets-okereke- ... qualifier/
Club Brugge striker David Okereke and Orji Okwonkwo, who features for MLS club Montreal Impact, have been drafted for Tuesday’s U23 AFCON playoff return leg against Sudan in Asaba
Their clubs have refused to release them. If we fail to qualify for the U23 AFCON, Imama and the NFF should shoulder the blame. It seems Sudan were underrated, now they're running from pillar to post looking for players you could have invited over 2 weeks ago. You just can't make this things up!
I am happy