U23: DRAFT IN THE TROOPS!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Obong
Egg
Egg
U23: DRAFT IN THE TROOPS!

Post by Obong »

It might be unpopular, but desperate times require desperate measures. We foolishly lost 0-2 to Libya away and will need at least three unreplied goals in the second leg on Monday. With the Olympics football qualification on the line, I suggest the NFF field the strongest possible team. Since, fortuitously, several u23 players are in the Super Eagles camp and in Asaba for the Seychelles/Egypt matches, why not draft them in? Uzoho, Ikouwem Utin, Ozornwafor, Ndidi, Onyekuru and Osimhen could help turn the tide with superior play where we lacked in the first leg. After we eliminate Libya, the coaches can go back to restrategize for the African tournament in November. Since we struggled at goalkeeper, defence, midfield and scoring, it is worth a shot.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: U23: DRAFT IN THE TROOPS!

Post by Rawlings »

This is not the time to panic
Beating Libya 3-0 will not be a problem
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Rawlings wrote:This is not the time to panic
I want to be that optimistic. Let's see what develops.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

At least it was a Ghana ref , what do u expect from a ref awarding a red to a west African brother
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We are having all this trouble with Libya, even with the likes of Chukwueze and Awoiniyi.

If we qualify, What will happen at the tournament proper when none of these players will be available.

This is just pure stupidity all around.

Unless foreign players could be drafted in during the tournament proper I see no reason why they should be called to qualify.

A strong homebased side should have been used, and if we qualify for olympics unfortunately most of the team would be moved aside for the european based players. Unfortunate but it would just be reality.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

osita wrote:
At least it was a Ghana ref , what do u expect from a ref awarding a red to a west African brother
Oga Sa
How now?
Ghana dis Ghana dat, no taya you?
we are here to solve Naija problems :wink:
Last edited by Rawlings on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Don't think drafting in new players is the solution. What they need to work on is chemistry.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

olu wrote:Don't think drafting in new players is the solution. What they need to work on is chemistry.
It worked before. There is not much room for chemistry. The second leg is on Monday, so, I feel we should roll the dice. A sports journalist seems to be in agreement:

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=31462
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Obong wrote:
olu wrote:Don't think drafting in new players is the solution. What they need to work on is chemistry.
It worked before. There is not much room for chemistry. The second leg is on Monday, so, I feel we should roll the dice. A sports journalist seems to be in agreement:

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=31462
I disagree with you and the journalist
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Darn, agreeing with TRwalings... :mrgreen:

But dude’s right. Though not a betting man and wary of predictions, I am nonetheless reasonably confident that the team on Wednesday that dominated Libya away playing with 10 players for an entire half will DESTROY Libya in Asaba. No need to stabilize the team as it begins to build needed chemistry.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

To be honest the likes of Udo and that tall U20 defender should go to help the U23 team. This team needs defenders. (Maybe even Awaziem)

How the hell do you jump from U20 straight to the SE when there is nothing even spectacular about you, yet guys playing week in week out in Spain and Belgium are playing U23.

Makes absolutely no sense.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

This reminds me of the panic that ensued during our 1982 World Cup qualifying matches against Algeria in late 1981. We called all sorts of players - foreign-based who had never featured for us, players out of retirement, players just returning from injury, out of form players. A real hotch-potch strategy birthed out of panic. We lost 4-1 on aggregate. My thoughts are - stick with what we have. Best chance of winning. If we lose, we lose.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

I no talk am? We must be at the Olympics and we fortuitously have the eligible Super Eagles players for the u23 available in Asaba. For those who need historical reference, check the story above where Okocha, Kanu and Taribo had to be invited to help rescue our derailing 1996 Olympic qualification. We overturned a 0-2 deficit to win 3-0 in Narobi. It is our most important match out of the three to be played in Asaba. Therefore, all hands must be on deck.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/03/22/re ... libya-tie/
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Obong wrote:I no talk am? We must be at the Olympics and we fortuitously have the eligible Super Eagles players for the u23 available in Asaba. For those who need historical reference, check the story above where Okocha, Kanu and Taribo had to be invited to help rescue our derailing 1996 Olympic qualification. We overturned a 0-2 deficit to win 3-0 in Narobi. It is our most important match out of the three to be played in Asaba. Therefore, all hands must be on deck.

Ol boi you must have fortuitously found this new word; unless it fortuitously appear in all your recent posts
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote:
Obong wrote:I no talk am? We must be at the Olympics and we fortuitously have the eligible Super Eagles players for the u23 available in Asaba. For those who need historical reference, check the story above where Okocha, Kanu and Taribo had to be invited to help rescue our derailing 1996 Olympic qualification. We overturned a 0-2 deficit to win 3-0 in Narobi. It is our most important match out of the three to be played in Asaba. Therefore, all hands must be on deck.

Ol boi you must have fortuitously found this new word; unless it fortuitously appear in all your recent posts
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

And we didn’t lose 0-2 to Kenya at home...
We drew 0-0 with Kanu as the captain of that side.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

who will save us at the tournament in November ?

If we qualify.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

See Otitokoro's post today in the link below. It mentions four key SE players now seconded to the U23 team.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=293914&start=92
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

jette1 wrote:

:rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

metalalloy wrote:
jette1 wrote:

I might sound dated, but the "A" I got in English Language in the WAEC exams was hardly fortuitous. :lol: :taunt:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Obong wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
jette1 wrote:

I might sound dated, but the "A" I got in English Language in the WAEC exams was hardly fortuitous. :lol: :taunt:
now I wanna know how coach did in waec or did he settle for gce abi na ond
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

ogiso wrote:This reminds me of the panic that ensued during our 1982 World Cup qualifying matches against Algeria in late 1981. We called all sorts of players - foreign-based who had never featured for us, players out of retirement, players just returning from injury, out of form players. A real hotch-potch strategy birthed out of panic. We lost 4-1 on aggregate. My thoughts are - stick with what we have. Best chance of winning. If we lose, we lose.
I agree, but if there is one particularly troublesome position, say (fullback or goalie), 1 or 2 additions can help overall but even then not on a turnaround this short
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Obong wrote:It might be unpopular, but desperate times require desperate measures. We foolishly lost 0-2 to Libya away and will need at least three unreplied goals in the second leg on Monday. With the Olympics football qualification on the line, I suggest the NFF field the strongest possible team. Since, fortuitously, several u23 players are in the Super Eagles camp and in Asaba for the Seychelles/Egypt matches, why not draft them in? Uzoho, Ikouwem Utin, Ozornwafor, Ndidi, Onyekuru and Osimhen could help turn the tide with superior play where we lacked in the first leg. After we eliminate Libya, the coaches can go back to restrategize for the African tournament in November. Since we struggled at goalkeeper, defence, midfield and scoring, it is worth a shot.

Individuals!!
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Okay, where are the doubters? Sure glad that political correctness didn't cost us the desired progress to the Olympics. Congrats, Nigeria. A big Thank you to the troops.