ROHR DON START THIS NONSENSE AGAIN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR DON START THIS NONSENSE AGAIN

Post by jette1 »

Tells the press that Nigeria is not in the top 3 nations expected to win upcoming Afcon. He names Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Senegal as favorites to win. This angel* needs to enroll in high school psychology class.
You know when your choice of words gets replaced with angel
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR DON START THIS NONSENSE AGAIN

Post by DIMKA76 »

Listen oh, don't let people come in here and start insulting you for nothing. Just siddon look. Once Rohr disgraces Naija finish then you can come and tell them say, I told you so.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

jette1 wrote:Tells the press that Nigeria is not in the top 3 nations expected to win upcoming Afcon. He names Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Senegal as favorites to win. This angel* needs to enroll in high school psychology class.

You apparently have never heard about deflecting pressure away from your team and towards rivals...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

txj wrote:
jette1 wrote:Tells the press that Nigeria is not in the top 3 nations expected to win upcoming Afcon. He names Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Senegal as favorites to win. This angel* needs to enroll in high school psychology class.

You apparently have never heard about deflecting pressure away from your team and towards rivals...
Oh Yes!! please pardon me sir I forgot how well this worked against Argentina, and Croatia in world cup
Last edited by jette1 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

He said the same thing before our world cup qualifiers and you know how that turned out.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Like others said he is trying to deflect pressure and lower expectations. I'm positive he is saying something different to his players behind closed doors.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote:Like others said he is trying to deflect pressure and lower expectations. I'm positive he is saying something different to his players behind closed doors.
Completely lost on these guys.
He even spoke about 'psychological games' in his press conference.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

There's no harm in simply acknowledging that Nigeria is one of the favourites. Rohr consistently plays down his team....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
olu wrote:Like others said he is trying to deflect pressure and lower expectations. I'm positive he is saying something different to his players behind closed doors.
So he's signposting what he's doing. Do mind games work when you say it's mind games?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

I don't think he's trying to deflect pressure. He was confident we were going to beat Iceland at the world cup.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
So he's signposting what he's doing. Do mind games work when you say it's mind games?
people often forget that so called psychological game is recursive - you act upon the world with a given script and the world uses same script to act upon you. Yea lets just assume he is telling his team something different like someone suggests but point is - he already acknowledged to the Moroccans, Egypt Tunisia and Senegal that they are indeed superior. Do you think subconsciously the Moroccans Egyptians etc. are going to come out playing second fiddle even if they are indeed second fiddle. No, they would come out playing to match expectations of the position Rohr already elevated to and its called self-fulfilling prophesy. Sometimes it's better to just say nothin if you have nothing positive to say about your team. don't give someone else the impression that they are better than you

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

The YeyeMan wrote:There's no harm in simply acknowledging that Nigeria is one of the favourites. Rohr consistently plays down his team....
And what exact benefit will you gain from claiming to be a tournament favorite?
You say there is no harm? Ok, so what is the harm in being humble?

No amount of mouth is going to win any tournament, only product.
He is right to keep his team focused on improving rather than claiming an imaginary pedestal.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I don’t know if it’s mind games or not but presently there isn’t any African team really above the rest. Therefore, this is totally “mind games” World Cup own tooneas mind games. However, he was 100% right in that World Cup. Argentina and Croatia had better players than us, playing at the best leagues in the world supported by corrupt referees. In this ANC, after Senegal, the likes of Nigeria, Ghana, Tunisia, Egypt, Ivc all are in same level. I think luck, coaching and minor differences will win ANC
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
He wasn't talking about himself. He was talking about a rival coach, I think the Egypt or Tunisia coach.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

DIMKA76 wrote:Listen oh, don't let people come in here and start insulting you for nothing. Just siddon look. Once Rohr disgraces Naija finish then you can come and tell them say, I told you so.
How can he say "I told you so" later if you're telling him not to say anything now? :?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

charlie wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:There's no harm in simply acknowledging that Nigeria is one of the favourites. Rohr consistently plays down his team....

He is right to keep his team focused on improving rather than claiming an imaginary pedestal.
I agree no amount of mouth wins tournaments but he's not being humble. There's no harm in saying Nigeria is among the favourites along with the other teams - it's just being realistic. Constantly playing down your own team is not a good look.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
charlie wrote:

I agree no amount of mouth wins tournaments but he's not being humble. There's no harm in saying Nigeria is among the favourites along with the other teams - it's just being realistic. Constantly playing down your own team is not a good look.
I really don't see any advantage in talking up your chances in public. I can't really remember the likes of Brazil or Germany or Argentina ever 'bigging up' their chances in public despite having some of the best players in the world in their ranks.
All I remember is top countries publicly downplaying the hype which I think makes much more sense.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Its pretty obvious that what the managers are saying to their players in the dressing room is completely different.
Which self-respecting professional footballer will listen more to what their manager is saying in the public domain over and above what he is being told one-on-one in the dressing room?

Press conferences are for public consumption. Finish
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I don't know whether you remember - its been a while now - but the Nigerian U20 team (I think) was to meet Brazil in a WC tournament (my mind is saying in Chile). Expectations were high and Nigeria made mouth nor be small, talking about how we would 'deal with' Brazil. I think Etim Essien was in that team.
When we met, dem beat us like we steal something.

At the post-match press conference, they said we showed "too much disrespect" which simply fed into their determination to teach us a lesson.
Psychology is crucial in football. get it wrong and you are toast.

I'd much rather our managers understate our chances - in public of course.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

theYemster wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:Listen oh, don't let people come in here and start insulting you for nothing. Just siddon look. Once Rohr disgraces Naija finish then you can come and tell them say, I told you so.
How can he say "I told you so" later if you're telling him not to say anything now? :?

It's all in the heading!!!
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Damunk wrote:
I don't know whether you remember - its been a while now - but the Nigerian U20 team (I think) was to meet Brazil in a WC tournament (my mind is saying in Chile). Expectations were high and Nigeria made mouth nor be small, talking about how we would 'deal with' Brazil. I think Etim Essien was in that team.

At the post-match press conference, they said we showed "too much disrespect" which simply fed into their determination to teach us a lesson.

Yup it was Chile 87. That turned out to be our worst U-20 tournament ever. The likes of Brazil and Yugoslavia beat the living day light out of us.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Yup it was Chile 87. That turned out to be our worst U-20 tournament ever. The likes of Brazil and Yugoslavia beat the living day light out of us.
Not surprised with the likes of Boban, D Suker - Yugoslavia and Bismark - Brazil. There is also a threshold after which you begin to talk down your chances and right to even participate. I think he overdid it in the World Cup. Naija doesn't have much of a pedigree but at the same time, they don't slouch. Within Africa, Rohr isn't doing his side any good by talking his team down. naija have a pedigree within Africa and he fools nobody by trying to understate his side's intentions.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

DIMKA76 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Not surprised with the likes of Boban, D Suker - Yugoslavia and Bismark - Brazil. There is also a threshold after which you begin to talk down your chances and right to even participate. I think he overdid it in the World Cup. Naija doesn't have much of a pedigree but at the same time, they don't slouch. Within Africa, Rohr isn't doing his side any good by talking his team down. naija have a pedigree within Africa and he fools nobody by trying to understate his side's intentions.
Don't mind them jare!!; they are in fact mixing apples and oranges here. its obvious and clearly understood that Nigeria is neither 'Brazil' nor 'Spain' - whatever that means-, no one was expecting Nigeria to overwhelm everyone at the world cup hence where is your reason to even further denigrate your Team. If we were ranked # one then that argument of taking pressure off our team might be justifiable ( who dash monkey banana). It is quite understandable if France and likes of Spain are downplaying their position but why would a hungry man join to donate food wey him no get. and all these talk about taking off pressure. when did pressure become such a bad thing. Kanu, okocha, taribo amokachi, olisey all understood expectations and played with pressure and won under pressure. Most of you here passed WAEC because of pressure. Are our current players so weak that they cant uphold our history in football that we have to pamper them so much. if you ask me they should be under pressure because they have won nothing minus mikel, onazi. Problem is we have a stupid coach that has watered down our football.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Don't mind them jare!!; they are in fact mixing apples and oranges here. its obvious and clearly understood that Nigeria is neither 'Brazil' nor 'Spain' - whatever that means-, no one was expecting Nigeria to overwhelm everyone at the world cup hence where is your reason to even further denigrate your Team. If we were ranked # one then that argument of taking pressure off our team might be justifiable ( who dash monkey banana). It is quite understandable if France and likes of Spain are downplaying their position but why would a hungry man join to donate food wey him no get. and all these talk about taking off pressure. when did pressure become such a bad thing. Kanu, okocha, taribo amokachi, olisey all understood expectations and played with pressure and won under pressure. Most of you here passed WAEC because of pressure. Are our current players so weak that they cant uphold our history in football that we have to pamper them so much. if you ask me they should be under pressure because they have won nothing minus mikel, onazi. Problem is we have a stupid coach that has watered down our football.
You don't know where your problem is.
The 'pressure' of '94 and '98 when we were virtual unknown 'rookies' to world football is nothing like it is today. The world didn't know us and Nigerians didn't go around as if we had a birthright to beat the world's best.
Since then - and thanks to the legacy of the Okochas, Finidis and Kanus - we are expected to perform at a certain level. When the world press repeatedly ask "which Nigeria will show up?", then you know you are no longer seen as a nobody.

Nigeria went to the U20 WC in NZ in 2015 with our 'superstars' Iheanacho, Success and Moses Simon all turning up in camp barely 48hrs to our first game vs Brazil. But it didn't stop us calling for the head of the coach (Manu) after we got trounced 4-2 by them.

That's the pressure of expectation which has now become the norm that has extended even to our juniors.

Anyway, all this one is simply subjective wuru-wuru-to-di-answer. If your mind is already made up about Rohr, even if he were to state the opposite like "we are a top team in Africa and coming to carry the trophy", una go still tell am say e dey stupid for "empty boasting". :smile: