ROHR DON START THIS NONSENSE AGAIN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR DON START THIS NONSENSE AGAIN

Post by ukwala »

Rohr is on his own.

Afcon 2013: We will write our names in gold - Keshi
09 JAN 2013, 21:41 AKINBODE OGUNTUYI
Super eagles coach, Stephen Keshi has made a promise to Bolaji Abdullahi, the sports minister, that the players will write their names and that of Nigeria in gold, by the time the dust settles in South Africa.
https://futaa.com/ng/article/46428/afco ... old--keshi
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
charlie wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:There's no harm in simply acknowledging that Nigeria is one of the favourites. Rohr consistently plays down his team....
And what exact benefit will you gain from claiming to be a tournament favorite?
You say there is no harm? Ok, so what is the harm in being humble?

No amount of mouth is going to win any tournament, only product.
He is right to keep his team focused on improving rather than claiming an imaginary pedestal.
I agree no amount of mouth wins tournaments but he's not being humble. There's no harm in saying Nigeria is among the favourites along with the other teams - it's just being realistic. Constantly playing down your own team is not a good look.
I really don't see any advantage in talking up your chances in public. I can't really remember the likes of Brazil or Germany or Argentina ever 'bigging up' their chances in public despite having some of the best players in the world in their ranks.
All I remember is top countries publicly downplaying the hype which I think makes much more sense.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Its pretty obvious that what the managers are saying to their players in the dressing room is completely different.
Which self-respecting professional footballer will listen more to what their manager is saying in the public domain over and above what he is being told one-on-one in the dressing room?

Press conferences are for public consumption. Finish
My point is if he's going to say anything then he should veer on the side of positivity. And there's no harm in including his team AMONG a list of favourites. I'm not fond of this false modesty or faux humility.

The likes of Pep or Klopp don't play down their team's chances of winning a trophy in such a blunt manner. They accept the challenge will be tough and that they have good teams and they will do their best. That's all Rohr needs to do rather than say X, Y and Z have a better chance. It has a hollow ring to it. Also it's his get out of jail card in the event that Nigeria flops. He'll say "I told you so."

There are reasons why the coach of Nigeria could lower expectations on the global scene, but in Africa, with the team we have...? I'm not buying it.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

The usual suspects, defending Rohr.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

My feeling is that some statements make you out as ridiculous. It is like Brazil about to play Tanzania and claiming "we have no chance." Who would they truly be deceiving? :rotf: :rotf: You can sell that underdog story to me in the World Cup but I am not that gullible to buy it in the AFCON.

The fact is that Nigeria certainly is one of the favorites and he can acknowledge it without opening stating WE ARE THE FAVORITE. Certainly, he can state that he understands why Nigeria is considered a favorite but that he believes there are several others that are going to also be looked up as favorites and that the play on the field will be the key.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:There's no harm in simply acknowledging that Nigeria is one of the favourites. Rohr consistently plays down his team....
I don't know whether you remember - its been a while now - but the Nigerian U20 team (I think) was to meet Brazil in a WC tournament (my mind is saying in Chile). Expectations were high and Nigeria made mouth nor be small, talking about how we would 'deal with' Brazil. I think Etim Essien was in that team.
When we met, dem beat us like we steal something.

At the post-match press conference, they said we showed "too much disrespect" which simply fed into their determination to teach us a lesson.
Psychology is crucial in football. get it wrong and you are toast.

I'd much rather our managers understate our chances - in public of course.
Yup it was Chile 87. That turned out to be our worst U-20 tournament ever. The likes of Brazil and Yugoslavia beat the living day light out of us.
Not surprised with the likes of Boban, D Suker - Yugoslavia and Bismark - Brazil. There is also a threshold after which you begin to talk down your chances and right to even participate. I think he overdid it in the World Cup. Naija doesn't have much of a pedigree but at the same time, they don't slouch. Within Africa, Rohr isn't doing his side any good by talking his team down. naija have a pedigree within Africa and he fools nobody by trying to understate his side's intentions.
Don't mind them jare!!; they are in fact mixing apples and oranges here. its obvious and clearly understood that Nigeria is neither 'Brazil' nor 'Spain' - whatever that means-, no one was expecting Nigeria to overwhelm everyone at the world cup hence where is your reason to even further denigrate your Team. If we were ranked # one then that argument of taking pressure off our team might be justifiable ( who dash monkey banana). It is quite understandable if France and likes of Spain are downplaying their position but why would a hungry man join to donate food wey him no get. and all these talk about taking off pressure. when did pressure become such a bad thing. Kanu, okocha, taribo amokachi, olisey all understood expectations and played with pressure and won under pressure. Most of you here passed WAEC because of pressure. Are our current players so weak that they cant uphold our history in football that we have to pamper them so much. if you ask me they should be under pressure because they have won nothing minus mikel, onazi. Problem is we have a stupid coach that has watered down our football.
You don't know where your problem is.
The 'pressure' of '94 and '98 when we were virtual unknown 'rookies' to world football is nothing like it is today. The world didn't know us and Nigerians didn't go around as if we had a birthright to beat the world's best.
Since then - and thanks to the legacy of the Okochas, Finidis and Kanus - we are expected to perform at a certain level. When the world press repeatedly ask "which Nigeria will show up?", then you know you are no longer seen as a nobody.

Nigeria went to the U20 WC in NZ in 2015 with our 'superstars' Iheanacho, Success and Moses Simon all turning up in camp barely 48hrs to our first game vs Brazil. But it didn't stop us calling for the head of the coach (Manu) after we got trounced 4-2 by them.

That's the pressure of expectation which has now become the norm that has extended even to our juniors.

Anyway, all this one is simply subjective wuru-wuru-to-di-answer. If your mind is already made up about Rohr, even if he were to state the opposite like "we are a top team in Africa and coming to carry the trophy", una go still tell am say e dey stupid for "empty boasting". :smile:
Men I had to check my drink again; I thought someone tainted my water. If I read you well we have to play under pressure because there’s no more escaping that fate. Then Rohr is the only man in Jurusalem. Under the situation the better option then is - be who we are and stop this perennial dumbing down our team in the name of taking off pressure. It didn’t work before and won’t work again.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
charlie wrote:
And what exact benefit will you gain from claiming to be a tournament favorite?
You say there is no harm? Ok, so what is the harm in being humble?

No amount of mouth is going to win any tournament, only product.
He is right to keep his team focused on improving rather than claiming an imaginary pedestal.
I agree no amount of mouth wins tournaments but he's not being humble. There's no harm in saying Nigeria is among the favourites along with the other teams - it's just being realistic. Constantly playing down your own team is not a good look.
I really don't see any advantage in talking up your chances in public. I can't really remember the likes of Brazil or Germany or Argentina ever 'bigging up' their chances in public despite having some of the best players in the world in their ranks.
All I remember is top countries publicly downplaying the hype which I think makes much more sense.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Its pretty obvious that what the managers are saying to their players in the dressing room is completely different.
Which self-respecting professional footballer will listen more to what their manager is saying in the public domain over and above what he is being told one-on-one in the dressing room?

Press conferences are for public consumption. Finish
My point is if he's going to say anything then he should veer on the side of positivity. And there's no harm in including his team AMONG a list of favourites. I'm not fond of this false modesty or faux humility.

The likes of Pep or Klopp don't play down their team's chances of winning a trophy in such a blunt manner. They accept the challenge will be tough and that they have good teams and they will do their best. That's all Rohr needs to do rather than say X, Y and Z have a better chance. It has a hollow ring to it. Also it's his get out of jail card in the event that Nigeria flops. He'll say "I told you so."

There are reasons why the coach of Nigeria could lower expectations on the global scene, but in Africa, with the team we have...? I'm not buying it.
I get your point.
They've all got their way of playing their mind games.
Depends on the individual.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/115 ... mes#slide7
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Revisting exactly what Rohr said in the interview, I am beginning to doubt many here actually took the time to listen to what he said carefully.

[/video]
I know that my friend, Hervez Renard is a diplomat. He doesnt want to be the favorite of the tournament. He is #1 in Africa, so he is the natural favorite for the tournament, and he tries to put forward other countries.
This is a tactic already. So me I say Morocco is #1 in Africa, they are natural favorites.

Egypt with one of the biggest players in the world, is favorite because they are at home, and they have the big crowd behind.
Senegal is #2 in Africa. Tunisia is #3, We are only #4.

And so, please, be careful, let them speak. We know what we have to do, we have to stay humble all the time....
Can anyone in their right mind point to anything wrong he said specifically? More importantly, can anyone point if anything he said was not a basic fact???

Personally, I am happy we have a coach that preaches humility and having to prove yourself, rather that making daft assumptions or illusions of grandeur, guaranteed to bring you crashing back down to earth.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

charlie wrote:Revisting exactly what Rohr said in the interview, I am beginning to doubt many here actually took the time to listen to what he said carefully.

[/video]
I know that my friend, Hervez Renard is a diplomat. He doesnt want to be the favorite of the tournament. He is #1 in Africa, so he is the natural favorite for the tournament, and he tries to put forward other countries.
This is a tactic already. So me I say Morocco is #1 in Africa, they are natural favorites.

Egypt with one of the biggest players in the world, is favorite because they are at home, and they have the big crowd behind.

And so, please, be careful, let them speak. We know what we have to do, we have to stay humble all the time....
Can anyone in their right mind point to anything wrong he said specifically? More importantly, can anyone point if anything he said was not a basic fact???

Personally, I am happy we have a coach that preaches humility and having to prove yourself, rather that making daft assumptions or illusions of grandeur, guaranteed to bring you crashing back down to earth.
Maybe they are discussing another interview because nothing wrong with this one.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

imehjunior wrote:
charlie wrote:Revisting exactly what Rohr said in the interview, I am beginning to doubt many here actually took the time to listen to what he said carefully.

[/video]

Maybe they are discussing another interview because nothing wrong with this one.
THis is the interview they are all twisting like chewing gum.
You'll hear them say Rohr has said we are going to AFCON "to learn" again and that he said we can't/won't win AFCON.
That's the degree of dishonesty some of the haters are ready to display just to discredit him.

Then they will say I am defending Rohr "again".
Why will I not defend against lies? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Wow thanks for posting the video Rohr makes complete sense.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

I was one of those that jumped conclusion, this video has shown that fake news by our journalists is real.
Thanks for the real news
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

[/video]

OK now I want to hear from Jette1..(who has a knack for getting it wrong almost 100% of the time). Yeyeman need to come in here and explain this misrepresentation too.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Cito wrote:

[/video]

OK now I want to hear from Jette1..(who has a knack for getting it wrong almost 100% of the time). Yeyeman need to come in here and explain this misrepresentation too.
I hope you are not missing the whole point of thread which is - He should stay away from statements suggestive of or having the appearance of what he said going into the world cup, yet here we are again. why does it seem like he just cant avoid exposing his fear of failure. fact is you project that fear on your players when you constantly opt for crumbs in the name of humility.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cito wrote:OK now I want to hear from Jette1..(who has a knack for getting it wrong almost 100% of the time). Yeyeman need to come in here and explain this misrepresentation too.
Explain wetin? All I said is Rohr consistently plays down his team.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the video changes nothing , did Rohr not say we are just going to the tournament to see how far we can go, he also bring s up the excuse we have no players in the champs league...em when Zambia won the AFCON, how many of their players even played in the top leagues... now we have the natives and especially damunk already bringing up excuses...

that rohr throws some cheap french or german english and una dey fall... I am yet to see what he said in that video how it changes his stance on us going o AFCON to learn....smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bigpokey24 wrote:the video changes nothing , did Rohr not say we are just going to the tournament to see how far we can go, he also bring s up the excuse we have no players in the champs league...em when Zambia won the AFCON, how many of their players even played in the top leagues... now we have the natives and especially damunk already bringing up excuses...

that rohr throws some cheap french or german english and una dey fall... I am yet to see what he said in that video how it changes his stance on us going o AFCON to learn....smh
Bigpokey24,

KPOM. The reality is that the statement characterizes who Rohr has and continues to be. He is mindlessly married to the belief that European football defines all else. Not only is this reflected in his statement but also his belief on player competence. What he misses is a thorough history of the AFCON. Not only did Zambia become an African champion without their players all over the Big 5 of Europe's leagues but Egypt won AFCON for three consecutive tournaments without having a squad dominated with players from the leagues that Rohr reifies. The good thing though is that Mr. Pinnick has made it clear that Nigeria is no underdog and that Nigeria heads to AFCON 2019 with the bold goal of winning the trophy.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:the video changes nothing , did Rohr not say we are just going to the tournament to see how far we can go, he also bring s up the excuse we have no players in the champs league...em when Zambia won the AFCON, how many of their players even played in the top leagues... now we have the natives and especially damunk already bringing up excuses...

Bigpokey24,

KPOM. The reality is that the statement characterizes who Rohr has and continues to be. He is mindlessly married to the belief that European football defines all else. Not only is this reflected in his statement but also his belief on player competence. What he misses is a thorough history of the AFCON. Not only did Zambia become an African champion without their players all over the Big 5 of Europe's leagues but Egypt won AFCON for three consecutive tournaments without having a squad dominated with players from the leagues that Rohr reifies. The good thing though is that Mr. Pinnick has made it clear that Nigeria is no underdog and that Nigeria heads to AFCON 2019 with the bold goal of winning the trophy.

The reality is that European football is the standard for the world game atm. The best players are in Europe.

One is hardly persuaded by the Zambia examples; Greece won the Euros once upon a time; as did Denmark...And when you cite the example of Egypt, you should highlight the fact that, until recent political upheavals, they have had a very stable domestic league, with clubs founded in the early 1900s. Their best players, bar a very few, typically play at home...

In any case, I think far too much is being made here of a tepid attempt to deflect pressure. Ultimately, its the performance on the field that we will judge, not verbal platitudes ahead of a tournament...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

[/video]

... Let's transcribe the full interview

To declare today we will win the AFCON would be stupid. It's not our philosophy. We have to work, we have young players.

That's true that we have the experience now with the WC, but we have also one of our players who stopped after the WC and were big players and also it's not easy to go and to say to win when you don't have any players in the ECL team, we don't have any.

We have two playing sometimes in the Europa league... and.. ehm.. for Nigeria, you don't have the great players of the past. my emphasis

Which doesn't mean i don't trust in my team. I trust in my team. We have a chance to go far in this competition... but let's stay humble please.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

This entire conversation is an exercise in pointlessness...

I say all he is trying to do is deflect pressure and preach humility. You say he is not respecting Nigeria's position as a powerhouse in African football.

Ultimately, either position means nothing. Championships are not won in forums or at press conferences. They are won on the green grass.
We shall see soon enough if this Super Eagles squad has the winning stuff. Everything else na tori.

I dont talk my own finish...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Bigpokey24,

The reality is that European football is the standard for the world game atm. The best players are in Europe.

One is hardly persuaded by the Zambia examples; Greece won the Euros once upon a time; as did Denmark...And when you cite the example of Egypt, you should highlight the fact that, until recent political upheavals, they have had a very stable domestic league, with clubs founded in the early 1900s. Their best players, bar a very few, typically play at home...

In any case, I think far too much is being made here of a tepid attempt to deflect pressure. Ultimately, its the performance on the field that we will judge, not verbal platitudes ahead of a tournament...
Dude please can you kindly post the memo because we didn’t know that European league has become the benchmark for winning Afcon. In fact please post any statistical pointers
Last edited by jette1 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

For all our players who played in the champions league. For 19 years , we couldn't win the Afcon..it was a player from the local league who destroyed a champs league squad filled with CIV, and then score the winner to win the 2013 Afcon..Rorh Abi ruth is clueless
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved