Super Eagles Keepers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles Keepers

Post by theYemster »

bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
imehjunior wrote:Seen the following
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide
I might have missed one or two from 1988 when I can access objectively. Doubt if any of them is as bad as Uzoho .
So you didn't see Carl Ikeme? :?

Personally right now I'll go with Ezenwa. When I read about Uzoho moving to Cyprus I knew he has hit the wall. No good up and coming goalie gets sent to Siberia, you get sent to a small club but in a competitive league. The move was an indictment on Uzoho and his potential/ability.

Anyways we don't need a great big name goalie, mask our deficiencies with great defenders and an effective defensive scheme.

You are clueless. Enyeama spent most of his time in Nigeria and Israel before moving to France. Rufai played in Benin rep for a while. Carl Ikeme was in the lower leagues of England before being invited to the SE. You think a young African goalkeeper moves to a top club immediately?? And by the way Cyprus is in the West Asia not Siberia. Get a clue dude.
At least before you call someone clueless make sure you are able to comprehend what they're saying. Nothing more embarrassing then questioning someone's intellect while misunderstanding them.

Anyways, in case you don't know, France, England and Israel have more competitive leagues than Cyprus. Rufai was last competitive at USA94, he played in Benin much much earlier at a time when going to Europe wasn't as easy as it is today. That's who you're using as a benchmark. And none of the players in all those examples you gave was demoted which was also my point regarding Uzoho. Enyeama went from Israel to France not France to Israel. Rufai went from Benin to Europe, Ikeme progressed upwards to Wolves, the implication of all being improvement. Uzoho on the other hand went from Spain to Cyprus which signifies regression and it shows in his game. Kameni made no such moves when he was an up and coming youngin goalie in Spain. I hope I've made myself clearer?

By the way, my Siberia quip was obviously hyperbole but I suppose I overestimated your comprehension abilities. Forgive me.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide
I might have missed one or two from 1988 when I can access objectively. Doubt if any of them is as bad as Uzoho .

Personally right now I'll go with Ezenwa. When I read about Uzoho moving to Cyprus I knew he has hit the wall. No good up and coming goalie gets sent to Siberia, you get sent to a small club but in a competitive league. The move was an indictment on Uzoho and his potential/ability.

Anyways we don't need a great big name goalie, mask our deficiencies with great defenders and an effective defensive scheme.

You are clueless. Enyeama spent most of his time in Nigeria and Israel before moving to France. Rufai played in Benin rep for a while. Carl Ikeme was in the lower leagues of England before being invited to the SE. You think a young African goalkeeper moves to a top club immediately?? And by the way Cyprus is in the West Asia not Siberia. Get a clue dude.
At least before you call someone clueless make sure you are able to comprehend what they're saying. Nothing more embarrassing then questioning someone's intellect while misunderstanding them.

Anyways, in case you don't know, France, England and Israel have more competitive leagues than Cyprus. Rufai was last competitive at USA94, he played in Benin much much earlier at a time when going to Europe wasn't as easy as it is today. That's who you're using as a benchmark. And none of the players in all those examples you gave was demoted which was also my point regarding Uzoho. Enyeama went from Israel to France not France to Israel. Rufai went from Benin to Europe, Ikeme progressed upwards to Wolves, the implication of all being improvement. Uzoho on the other hand went from Spain to Cyprus which signifies regression and it shows in his game. Kameni made no such moves when he was an up and coming youngin goalie in Spain. I hope I've made myself clearer?

By the way, my Siberia quip was obviously hyperbole but I suppose I overestimated your comprehension abilities. Forgive me.
Scary thing is Uzoho had to go to Cyprus because he couldn’t cut it in division 2 Abi 3...troubling to say the least.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

Stop you are all over the place. Enyeama played in Nigeria with Eyinmba(sp), then moved to Israel, moved to France was deemed not good enough had to move back to israel to improve himself before moving to France for a 2nd try proving there that he was indeed a top class keeper. It took him an average of 10 years for him to go from Eyinmba to his 2nd stint at Lille where he was hailed as one of the best keepers in lugue 1. I remember back then people like you and Maceo4 were calling him Enyeamabasket and Vampire Enyeama because he was conceding goals for fun but luckily people like you were no where near the super eagles so he was able to grow and mature as a GK. You see young players like Uzoho are erratic and inconsistent. They need support and guidiance and with time he will get better. The league he is playing in is better than the Israeli league today. How many Israeli teams are in the UCL and Europa league?? Ill wait. Moreover he is still a Deportivo player so when his loan spell is up, he goes back to Spain.

Stick to baseball and fake(NFL) football. You are out of your depth here.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

What about Dele Alampasu? He has better reflexes than Uzoho
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Uzoho, is crap anyone who thinks the bobo can be our number 1 today. Knows nothing. With Uzoho. SE ain't winning the Afcon. Talkless of making it past the 2nd round
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

theYemster wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:Rufai is useless.
Now, or back then? :?

Those it matter? The crackhead just insulted the best Goalkeeper in Nigeria history
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

Stop you are all over the place. Enyeama played in Nigeria with Eyinmba(sp), then moved to Israel, moved to France was deemed not good enough had to move back to israel to improve himself before moving to France for a 2nd try proving there that he was indeed a top class keeper. It took him an average of 10 years for him to go from Eyinmba to his 2nd stint at Lille where he was hailed as one of the best keepers in lugue 1. I remember back then people like you and Maceo4 were calling him Enyeamabasket and Vampire Enyeama because he was conceding goals for fun but luckily people like you were no where near the super eagles so he was able to grow and mature as a GK. You see young players like Uzoho are erratic and inconsistent. They need support and guidiance and with time he will get better. The league he is playing in is better than the Israeli league today. How many Israeli teams are in the UCL and Europa league?? Ill wait. Moreover he is still a Deportivo player so when his loan spell is up, he goes back to Spain.

Unfortunately Uzoho isn't helping whatever case you think you have. Enyeama, Ikeme and Rufai all showed improvement regardless. Uzoho has shown regression yet you're still arguing.

Finally again, France, England, Israel (back then and now) >>>>>>> Cyprus. That much I know. Calling me clueless doesn't help your case.

By the way I never criticized Enyeama. I was one of few who supported Onigbinde benching Shorunmu for him. I got into arguments with 1naija, late Gabtigab, and others back in the day for backing Onigbinde when they used to call him Baxter . Look it up.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Undertaker wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:Rufai is useless.
Now, or back then? :?

Those it matter? The crackhead just insulted the best Goalkeeper in Nigeria history
Well a little context will help. Yes Rufai is useless as a goalie now, today. So if that's what he's saying I'll agree.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

You do know that his move to Cyprus is just till the end of the season? He is still a Deportivo player? I don't see anything wrong in a 6 month loan spell in Cyprus top division just to get game time. Even our greatest Enyeama spent many years in Isreal. We have to admit that this is a position that Nigeria is currently lacking but we have to put our faith in the youth. Ezenwa and Akpeyi will not get any better in their 30s so what do we do. Uzoho remains the goalkeeper currently with the greatest prospects. Besides he did well in the world cup and the AFCON is a much lower level. He will hardly be tested in most of the games he will play in Egypt.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Adisboy wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

You do know that his move to Cyprus is just till the end of the season? He is still a Deportivo player? I don't see anything wrong in a 6 month loan spell in Cyprus top division just to get game time. Even our greatest Enyeama spent many years in Isreal. We have to admit that this is a position that Nigeria is currently lacking but we have to put our faith in the youth. Ezenwa and Akpeyi will not get any better in their 30s so what do we do. Uzoho remains the goalkeeper currently with the greatest prospects. Besides he did well in the world cup and the AFCON is a much lower level. He will hardly be tested in most of the games he will play in Egypt.
I get that. However most players are loaned out to lower teams in more established football countries, not Cyprus. How many good players do you know of that played in Cyprus? Also, many up and coming players use those leagues to shop themselves to bigger teams because they're unknown. They usually don't get sent there from a bigger team after they've already been discovered unless their teams don't believe they're any good.

Also, like I said, what even makes the Cyprus move more telling is that Uzoho's play has regressed, and not that he was the great to begin with. He was just the best we had then. Not so sure about that now.

I don't care what anyone says, question my knowledge all you like, bottom-line is you don't get sent to Cyprus if you're showing potential... you just don't.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

Unfortunately Uzoho isn't helping whatever case you think you have. Enyeama, Ikeme and Rufai all showed improvement regardless. Uzoho has shown regression yet you're still arguing.

Finally again, France, England, Israel (back then and now) >>>>>>> Cyprus. That much I know. Calling me clueless doesn't help your case.

By the way I never criticized Enyeama. I was one of few who supported Onigbinde benching Shorunmu for him. I got into arguments with 1naija, late Gabtigab, and others back in the day for backing Onigbinde when they used to call him Baxter . Look it up.

And how old were they(Enyeama, Rufai and Ikeme) when they showed improvement?? These guys were in their mid to late 20s early 30s before living up to their potential. Uzoho is still in his early 20s. He has time. 2ndly Cyprus is a better league than Israel. 3rd How many young African keepers are in the books of European teams in top Leagues? Most African keepers that are starters for their NT play in back water leagues so I am not worried that Uzoho is in Cyprus. He is still a Deportivo player. BTW have you even bothered to watch any of his matches both in Spain and Cyprus... No you haven't. So you need to be quiet.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1. Rufai
2. Alloy
3.Wilfred
4.Dosu
5. Ike Shorumu
6. Peterside Idaho
7.Abiodun Baruwa
8. Vincent
9.Austin Ejide

And how old were they(Enyeama, Rufai and Ikeme) when they showed improvement?? These guys were in their mid to late 20s early 30s before living up to their potential. Uzoho is still in his early 20s. He has time. 2ndly Cyprus is a better league than Israel. 3rd How many young African keepers are in the books of European teams in top Leagues? Most African keepers that are starters for their NT play in back water leagues so I am not worried that Uzoho is in Cyprus. He is still a Deportivo player. BTW have you even bothered to watch any of his matches both in Spain and Cyprus... No you haven't. So you need to be quiet.
But I think you are missing the point, those guys showed early potential which Uzoho clearly hasn’t shown much of, he’s basically just a product of our apparent lack of better options and the failings of others like Akpeyi. Being tall is not potential, he simply hasn’t shown any specific special goal keeping ability. It’s kind of sad that he is a starting NT goalie at this point in his career. I watch the likes of Maldova, Andorra have actual capable GKs and just marvel that we are in such a predicament.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Enyeama was the most improved GK I have ever seen. He was a laughing stock at the start of his career. He constantly flapped at crosses like a bat. He was his era's version of Akpeyi. Then he moved abroad and became a DDG style shot-stopper and probably Nigeria's most assured GK since the days of Okala.

waka-man wrote:No one can be as bad as Baruwa. I have old basket that’s better.
And while he eventually became our best in history, Enyeama was pretty ropey in the early days. Even at the height of his powers, he was liable to the occasional flap.
Rufai is a great, be his holiday-interrupted performance in 98 still gives me nightmares.

Uzoho isn’t great; but he’s not as bad as Baruwa or Akpeyi
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:Enyeama was the most improved GK I have ever seen. He was a laughing stock at the start of his career. He constantly flapped at crosses like a bat. He was his era's version of Akpeyi. Then he moved abroad and became a DDG style shot-stopper and probably Nigeria's most assured GK since the days of Okala.

And while he eventually became our best in history, Enyeama was pretty ropey in the early days. Even at the height of his powers, he was liable to the occasional flap.
Rufai is a great, be his holiday-interrupted performance in 98 still gives me nightmares.

Why do you keep pushing this false narrative? If he was a laughing stock why was he taken from the local league to 2002 WC and started against England and had that great save vs Scholes? Vince’s issue had always been crossed but as far as saved he was Enyeamagnet since his time in Uyo! He was a starter at Enyimba and won two African CL trophies before going abroad. So how was he a laughing stock?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It is not a false narrative. It is the truth.

You cannot seriously use that 2002 WC squad as a serious barometer for a player's quality. The same squad selection system that dropped Oliseh, Finidi, Yakubu, and Babayaro, so they could pick Efe Sodje, Opabunmi, Bart "one overhead kick wonder" Ogbeche, and such other players that went on to have legendary careers. Use this forum's search function to see how suspect Vince was at the start of his career when he was at Enyimba. Including the utter howler of a game against Ismaily where he conceded 6 goals (including some all time classic howlers), and had such a bad game that the coach subbed him off. Do you know why Enyimba used to bring Aiyegnuba on during penalty shoot-outs? Because back then Vince was so shaky that they could not rely on him in a crucial penalty shoot out. KOC (who was with the Enyimba camp back then) confirmed it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25342&p=364408&hili ... ty#p364408

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225651&p=3639360&hi ... y#p3639360
maceo4 wrote:
wiseone wrote:Enyeama was the most improved GK I have ever seen. He was a laughing stock at the start of his career. He constantly flapped at crosses like a bat. He was his era's version of Akpeyi. Then he moved abroad and became a DDG style shot-stopper and probably Nigeria's most assured GK since the days of Okala.

Why do you keep pushing this false narrative? If he was a laughing stock why was he taken from the local league to 2002 WC and started against England and had that great save vs Scholes? Vince’s issue had always been crossed but as far as saved he was Enyeamagnet since his time in Uyo! He was a starter at Enyimba and won two African CL trophies before going abroad. So how was he a laughing stock?
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

maceo4 wrote:

Bros the uncle got me questioning my memory. I was cracking my head when he was that bad.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...probably because you did not watch him during his Enyimba 2001-2004 days.

imehjunior wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Bros the uncle got me questioning my memory. I was cracking my head when he was that bad.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

wiseone wrote:...probably because you did not watch him during his Enyimba 2001-2004 days.

imehjunior wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

I doubt you even read what you quoted below. I watched all their group games for the two champions league they won.
Dele Ayinugba was believed to be a better keeper for penalties and he substituted Enyeama for penalties.
That myth was even broken during the nations cup penalty against Tunisia
I agree. Enyeama is poor with PKs, and needs to do some really serious work, especially studying tapes of opposing PK takers before games wrt those games that will go down to that option. But criticising him for those other things unfair IMHO. A goalkeeper should be allowed to do the things that make him comfortable. Enyeama feels more relaxed doing the things he does, and like Orjinta and Nwaneri have told me before, when they see a relaxed keeper, they play better and with more confidence. Which is why the defenders would rather have Enyeama in goal than anyone else
Again, you are spot on here. Nwaneri and Enyeama are the defensive lynchpins of Enyimba
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:It is not a false narrative. It is the truth.

You cannot seriously use that 2002 WC squad as a serious barometer for a player's quality. The same squad selection system that dropped Oliseh, Finidi, Yakubu, and Babayaro, so they could pick Efe Sodje, Opabunmi, Bart "one overhead kick wonder" Ogbeche, and such other players that went on to have legendary careers. Use this forum's search function to see how suspect Vince was at the start of his career when he was at Enyimba. Including the utter howler of a game against Ismaily where he conceded 6 goals (including some all time classic howlers), and had such a bad game that the coach subbed him off. Do you know why Enyimba used to bring Aiyegnuba on during penalty shoot-outs? Because back then Vince was so shaky that they could not rely on him in a crucial penalty shoot out. KOC (who was with the Enyimba camp back then) confirmed it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25342&p=364408&hili ... ty#p364408

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225651&p=3639360&hi ... y#p3639360
maceo4 wrote:

Ok they clearly thought Aiyenugba was better with PKs while Vince was the better overall keeper. Else they would have just played Aiyenugba throughout...I don’t see how this buttresses your point...he won two CLs, whether he was shaky in an Ismaili game doesn’t mean he was a joke. He was great for Enyimba, even greater in Israel becoming a whole legend there!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Denying that Vince was erratic early in his career is as bad as denying climate change. If (as some of you claim) you really did watch him during his ACL days, then you will recall him giving away cheap goals with clangers as readily as Santa gives away presents. The commentators were even giggling and laughing live on air at his antics. He had a touch of the Akpeyi about him back then. Obviously he became a much better keeper after going abroad.

Not sure what winning the CL has to do with anything. Jonathan Greening and David May have won more UEFA CL medals than Neymar, Griezmann, and Aguero. That does not mean that Greening and May were world beaters when they won the CL.
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

wiseone wrote:Denying that Vince was erratic early in his career is as bad as denying climate change. If (as some of you claim) you really did watch him during his ACL days, then you will recall him giving away cheap goals with clangers as readily as Snata gives away presents. The commentators were even giggling and laughing live on air at his antics. He had a touch of the Akpeyi about him back then. Obviously he became a much better keeper after going abroad.

Not sure what winning the CL has to do with anything. Jonathan Greening and David May have won more UEFA CL medals than Neymar, Griezmann, and Aguero. That does not mean that Greening and May were world beaters when they won the CL.
Apart from the group game against Ismaili can you point to these games you speak of ?
If you saw some of the U23 player today , something just tells you they will come good. Off course that is not always the case and Uzoho might turn out to be one of the greats . I will happily eat my words. However for now I get jittery every time the ball goes close to him.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote:Denying that Vince was erratic early in his career is as bad as denying climate change. If (as some of you claim) you really did watch him during his ACL days, then you will recall him giving away cheap goals with clangers as readily as Santa gives away presents. The commentators were even giggling and laughing live on air at his antics. He had a touch of the Akpeyi about him back then. Obviously he became a much better keeper after going abroad.

The point is that he’s was never as poor as Uzoho is in many aspects of GK. Of course he improved over time on his short comings, no one will deny that and Uzoho will also improve, however the natural God given talent is not the same. You should at least be able to agree with that? If the likes of Akpeyi didn’t fumble their chances, we wouldn’t be stuck with such a subpar GK.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oscar52 wrote:
oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Uzoho is a very bad keeper and has no business in the national team, there is no point in colouring his glaring deficiencies. Am actually mystified we believe he is the best we have, please he surely is not.
Concur. He might be the single biggest reason Nigeria did not make it out the group state at the world cup.
Bros, that is stretching it a bit. No way was he at fault for any of the goals scored against us.

But I must say I am not a fan. I watched him train with the SE for the Serbia friendly in London and he looked lazy/sluggish. Ezenwa was far more agile and more professional. The goalkeeping coaches kept on pushing Uzoho to move quicker and work harder. He really looked like he was not enjoying it.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."