AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs" [UPDATED]

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs"

Post by mystic »

YUJAM wrote:Tanzania has one of the most in form African strikers at the moment. Hid name is Mbwana Samatts. He stated for Mazembe before moving to Genk or Ghent a few years ago. Think he’s hit 30 in all competitions for club this season.

He running rings around the Cranes. Great player!
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

EII, et. Please helpme out here. I’ve been watching the 2019 ACN qualifiers since Friday & I noticed that almost all the games are played on synthetic surfaces designed for the tundra & cold regions. It begs the question, what can we manage if we can’t manage & maintain ordinary grass fields?
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Link pls

Enugu II wrote:Tanzania up 2-0
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cmoke wrote:Link pls

Enugu II wrote:Tanzania up 2-0
Using Beinsport connect7.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

We need to go back to 16, imagine having this many east african teams at the afcon.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:We need to go back to 16, imagine having this many east african teams at the afcon.
It appears you are seeking a fierce war on this site with the likes of Kabalega and Ogolo. Be ready.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs" [UPDATED]

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Congrats to all the teams. Looking forward to the draw. Then the fun begins.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I counted 10 team useless teams that have no business in the AFCON!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

kalani JR wrote:We need to go back to 16, imagine having this many east african teams at the afcon.
There are 54 nations in Africa so almost half now qualify for the AFCON. What a joke. They've really watered down the competition just to get underserving East/South African teams in it.

3/4 of the opening games will be played to empty stadiums.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Orion wrote:
There are 54 nations in Africa so almost half now qualify for the AFCON. What a joke. They've really watered down the competition just to get underserving East/South African teams in it.

I love it! Look at what happened in Europe in 2016 when they expanded. Iceland, Wales, Hungary, Northern Ireland, Slovakia all made it to the 2nd round, the eventual champions Portugal did not even win one game in the group stages.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:

I love it! Look at what happened in Europe in 2016 when they expanded. Iceland, Wales, Hungary, Northern Ireland, Slovakia all made it to the 2nd round, the eventual champions Portugal did not even win one game in the group stages.
I think Wales and Iceland would have done well even without the expanded field, but everything else highlighted my issue with it. Those last two teams made it with a combined goal difference of zero.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:

I think Wales and Iceland would have done well even without the expanded field, but everything else highlighted my issue with it. Those last two teams made it with a combined goal difference of zero.
Those things can happen with a smaller format. Nigeria reached the final of AFCON 1984 by winning how many games again? Italy was world champion in 1982 without winning a single group game. Thus draws such as those obtained by Portugal are not synonymous with an expanded format.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:

Those things can happen with a smaller format. Nigeria reached the final of AFCON 1984 by winning how many games again? Italy was world champion in 1982 without winning a single group game. Thus draws such as those obtained by Portugal are not synonymous with an expanded format.
Not opposed to teams getting lucky breaks into latter rounds but a lot of those third placed finishers and "smaller" teams were poor to watch.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

What is the exact drawback of having more teams?
There are lots of advantages of having more teams and here are a few.
1. Financially: more games means more money. But it doesn't necessarily means proportionally more expenses.
2. Viewership: More countries involved, more views and interests from those countries.
3. Wider audience and interest
4. More likelyhood that good team will not fail to qualify.
5. Countries who have one or two star players can finally make it. If my recollection is correct, countries like Liberia didn't qualify many times, therefore players like Weah didn't really have impact at the AFCON
... and many more reasons.
Now your turn ...
Bepanda
kalani JR wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

bepanda wrote:What is the exact drawback of having more teams?
There are lots of advantages of having more teams and here are a few.
1. Financially: more games means more money. But it doesn't necessarily means proportionally more expenses.
2. Viewership: More countries involved, more views and interests from those countries.
3. Wider audience and interest
4. More likelyhood that good team will not fail to qualify.
5. Countries who have one or two star players can finally make it. If my recollection is correct, countries like Liberia didn't qualify many times, therefore players like Weah didn't really have impact at the AFCON
... and many more reasons.
Now your turn ...
Bepanda
kalani JR wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:
1. I'm a fan that isn't really my concern.
2. It's the AFCON they'll watch either way.
3. See previous
4. I think this hands them an extra lifeline they shouldn't get.
5. Just about every major African star has played in the competition, even Kallon.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
Orion wrote:

only won 1 game in regulation time actually.